PDA

View Full Version : Given and Kilbane's 100th cap

Murfinator
08/10/2009, 2:32 AM
It doesn't happen very happen, in fact Stan is the only one who ever such a feat and all going well both these lads will pick up theirs on Wednesday so I think they deserve some recognition! :D

For me Given has another couple of campaigns in him and could probably go to 150 and beyond caps, but when he finally calls time I think he'll remembered as arguably the greatest ever Irish player.

Kilbane, well a sad fact is that potentially if we were to lose both games Kilbane would likely never play for us again which is a shocking thought to contemplate but I think given his age and how he appears to be on his last legs in the top flight in england it'd be the right thing to do. He'll be remembered for very different reasons to Given, not for his dazzling talent but for his world class effort and spirit. I don't know about you but I always feel like pumping my fist in the air when he wins a crucial header or a free-kick after which he'll display that wry smile.

Both very different players, one the benchmark for talent, the other for spirit. And both deserving of the honor. :)

SkStu
08/10/2009, 2:39 AM
Legends, both. True Irishmen, their blood runs green.

as_i_say
08/10/2009, 8:31 AM
I'm picking up my Kilbane 100 Irish shirt next week ;)

Junior
08/10/2009, 9:20 AM
Great opening post - fully concur!!

back of the net
08/10/2009, 10:37 AM
I'm picking up my Kilbane 100 Irish shirt next week ;)

Yeah great opening post Murfinator - agree 1000% with what u say mate....legends ...both of them

was thinking of doing the same as u "as_i_say"....and if could be topped off by getting the great man to sign it.

Heres hoping that Givens and Kilbanes 100th cap is the game that qualifies us for the world cup

StretchRyan
08/10/2009, 2:22 PM
One of the lads that was on our trip to the WC2002 got a bottle of whiskey specially done for Stan and brought it to their training camp in Cuito and
presented to him before his 100th cap against Germany or Saudi????

Was a really nice thing to do...

Soccer Mom
08/10/2009, 2:23 PM
Heres hoping that Givens and Kilbanes 100th cap is the game that qualifies us for the world cup

What a thought - a truly fitting reward for two great Irish servants. I'm not sure that Kilbane will make it any further than the ton though. Given has plenty of open road ahead of him.

seanfhear
08/10/2009, 2:25 PM
Well done to the two boys. I have great respect for these two guys for the way that they love playing for their country.

Irish people from around the world salute these two men.

I hope they get more caps at next years world cup.

Bluebeard
08/10/2009, 2:48 PM
I'd personally quibble with the idea that Given will turn out to be our greatest ever player (can't see anyone topping McGrath as a servant to the nation), but the sentiment is bang on the mark. Thanks for bringing it up - I knew Killer was close, but I hadn't realised Given was on the verge too. I now feel very old having seen Given play U21 for Ireland when I was no longer eligible. According to wiki Kilbane has played 50 consecutive games for us, which is incredible if accurate

Fingers crossed they'll get another 10 or so before August next!

tetsujin1979
08/10/2009, 3:35 PM
According to wiki he has played 50 consecutive games for us, which is incredible if accurateMust be competitive games, he didn't play against South Africa

eaststand85
08/10/2009, 3:57 PM
Must be competitive games, he didn't play against South Africa

Couldn't be competitive either surely, what about all that time he spent out with a perforated bowel? Wasn't that long ago was it or is the mind playing tricks on me in my old age!

seanfhear
08/10/2009, 4:28 PM
Couldn't be competitive either surely, what about all that time he spent out with a perforated bowel? Wasn't that long ago was it or is the mind playing tricks on me in my old age!
Actually that was a serious injury and Shay did well to come back as good as ever after it.

Jicked
08/10/2009, 4:30 PM

it's killer who's making 50 consecutive competitive starts, don't forget Wayne Henderson was in goal in San Marino !

Metrostars
08/10/2009, 5:05 PM
What a thought - a truly fitting reward for two great Irish servants. I'm not sure that Kilbane will make it any further than the ton though. Given has plenty of open road ahead of him.

Kilbane wants to keep on going. Fair play to him:

"I've been asked that question so many times, you guys (media) have been asking me that since I was about 27 or 28 -- 'Am I going to retire?' You're probably telling me something aren't you! But I think it is, in general, the normal thing to do now, to retire (from international football) very early -- lads are retiring at 21 or 22 in our case aren't they!

"But, seriously though, lads are retiring very early and it is a shame, because we know that a lot of the big players have Champions League games and massive games at club level, but this is probably my Champions League when I come over here.

"I love coming in. I think even more so now, when you can reflect and look back with a little smile on your face," he continued.

"I know there have been times probably when I haven't performed or I've under-achieved a little bit, but I think, on the whole, my own philosophy is that there are worse things in life that can happen and do happen.

"So, you've got to just play with a smile on your face as much as you can. You've got to enjoy training, coming in and being around some of the players that we've got here, and I do, and to play at the stage that I have has been very fulfilling for me."
http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/kilbane-never-dreamed-of-century-1907507.html

Bluebeard
08/10/2009, 5:14 PM

Actually that was a serious injury and Shay did well to come back as good as ever after it.

Sorry, my bad, operator error. It was Killer, and I should re-read posts when interrupted while writing them.

SkStu
08/10/2009, 5:18 PM
lads are retiring at 21 or 22 in our case aren't they!

nice little dig there Killer - fair play! :D

seanfhear
08/10/2009, 5:31 PM
Kilbane wants to keep on going. Fair play to him:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/kilbane-never-dreamed-of-century-1907507.html
Zenidine Kilbane may not be one of the best players that has played for Ireland but he is one of the best Men ever to have played for Ireland.

noddy102
08/10/2009, 5:39 PM
Zenidine Kilbane may not be one of the best players that has played for Ireland but he is one of the best Men ever to have played for Ireland.

Hear, hear!

Quite possibly one of the most enthusiastic servants of the national football team I've ever seen.
He always plays with his heart and gives it his all for the team, and regardless of the times he has been poor or frustrating, you can never deny he hasn't tried his best.
He is a true professional, and when he is gone I hope people will hold him in a higher regard.

Shay Given does not need any mention - he is an absolute hero.

twoenz
08/10/2009, 9:50 PM
It's brilliant to see Killer getting the 100 caps, representative of fans getting the honour. The feature in the Star today was interesting, saying that every time he's called up to a squad it's his equivalent of playing Champions League football.

He'll still be in the squad next campaign, and might get a game in midfield.

soccerboy
08/10/2009, 10:32 PM
kilbane is a legend....such a committed player and a great servant to his country,a certain man city player should watch and learn!!

drummerboy
09/10/2009, 8:19 AM
What an example for young players. What he lacks for in skill, he makes up for with workrate. His attitude is so, so refreshing in these days of overpaid spoilt brats who play in the premership. I've been watching Ireland for a long long time and I don't think I've ever seen a more dedicated player in the green shirt.

twoenz
09/10/2009, 9:49 AM
For Kilbane to reach 100 is more amazing the more you think about it. Given the fact that he's only played in 1 major tournament, has never had a settled position, and never would have been the first name on the team sheet it's amazing. Beckham got his 100 by being involved in World Cup 1998, 2002 & 2006, as well as Euro 2000 and 2004. Apt comparison since they both made their first team bows at Preston North End. There are only 152 men to have played 100 or more games for their country. Pretty amazing to be in the same group as Pat Jennings, Cafu, Lothar Mattheus, and of course, the daddy of them all: Mohammed Al-Daeyea

Mise Le Mas
09/10/2009, 10:35 AM
Oh yes, the legend of Saudi Arabia Capped 181 times, F'ing amazing?

noddy102
09/10/2009, 10:38 AM
Let us not forget the two FIFA 100 list players:

Michelle Akers - 153 caps and 105 goals.
Mia Hamm - 275 caps and 158 goals.

paul_oshea
09/10/2009, 10:40 AM
Dont you mean Mohammed Al-Deayea?

Oh ya saudi arabia the power house of world football. Remember that 40+ yarder at usa 94 that managed to find its way into the net?

sligofan4ever
09/10/2009, 10:41 AM
It doesn't happen very happen, in fact Stan is the only one who ever such a feat and all going well both these lads will pick up theirs on Wednesday so I think they deserve some recognition! :D

For me Given has another couple of campaigns in him and could probably go to 150 and beyond caps, but when he finally calls time I think he'll remembered as arguably the greatest ever Irish player.

Kilbane, well a sad fact is that potentially if we were to lose both games Kilbane would likely never play for us again which is a shocking thought to contemplate but I think given his age and how he appears to be on his last legs in the top flight in england it'd be the right thing to do. He'll be remembered for very different reasons to Given, not for his dazzling talent but for his world class effort and spirit. I don't know about you but I always feel like pumping my fist in the air when he wins a crucial header or a free-kick after which he'll display that wry smile.

Both very different players, one the benchmark for talent, the other for spirit. And both deserving of the honor. :)

Seriously though, I hope Given has a great 100th cap, hes been great in every game hes played for us and despite injury problems, it makes it all the more better that hes made it this far.

tetsujin1979
09/10/2009, 11:38 AM
Dont you mean Mohammed Al-Deayea?

Oh ya saudi arabia the power house of world football. Remember that 40+ yarder at usa 94 that managed to find its way into the net?

owiran I think was his name, immortalised in a sketch on Fantasy Football "oh, I ran the length of the pitch"

Bluebeard
09/10/2009, 2:26 PM
owiran I think was his name, immortalised in a sketch on Fantasy Football "oh, I ran the length of the pitch"

The name Said Owairain will forever be etched on my heart for this reason.

y8w89sl7Grc

noddy102
11/10/2009, 11:33 AM
Looks like Trap may not start Shay on Wednesday, since he has a yellow card.

So we may have to wait until the first playoff for his 100th cap.

SuperDave
11/10/2009, 12:17 PM

I do not have a problem with that.... you never know what could happen, slipshod defending leading to a man clean through on goal, a mistimed claim for the ball..... best to leave him out. He will get 100 caps, so who cares if it is on wednesday or not?

noddy102
11/10/2009, 12:49 PM
I do not have a problem with that.... you never know what could happen, slipshod defending leading to a man clean through on goal, a mistimed claim for the ball..... best to leave him out. He will get 100 caps, so who cares if it is on wednesday or not?

I'm just spreading the news to this wonderful forum here.

Westwood deserves a competitive cap.

Also, it will be good for Shay to make his 100th cap during the playoffs. Might give us an edge, in the sense that he may be even more keen to keep a clean sheet.

old git
11/10/2009, 3:51 PM

well said .. well earned & deserved 100 caps next week :ball:

old git
11/10/2009, 3:53 PM
nice little dig there Killer - fair play! :D

nice one indeed if only the certain young player had half of kilbane's pride in playing for his country :ball:

backstothewall
11/10/2009, 8:41 PM

Congratulations to both when they get their century. Richly deserved in both cases.

However they are both on a booking, and should both have got booked in the dieing minutes on Saturday, as should Keith Andrews. If either picks up a booking in the first leg of the playoff we are without them for the second leg.

Playing either on Wednesday would be suicide. It would also be good to see other options in both positions. Wednesday is no more than a glorified friendly at this stage.