PDA

View Full Version : Ireland V Italy predictions and buildup

Pages : [1] 2

richieos
07/10/2009, 12:39 AM
Getting very excited now.
I think there are a few ways in which this match could go.
Ireland always seem to start the game flying out of the blocks, and have done for years, and we tend to be very impressive and full of bite at 0-0.
I can see this giving us the lead in the match.
However if we score early, we'll put our heads down as usual and probably draw 1-1 or lose 2-1.
What im hoping for, is for us to be pushing at and biting at italy, but for them to hold on for a bit, and maybe a 67th minute goal ala jason mcateer
I think thats the only way were gonna win, otherwise id probably go with a draw

SO time to be positive and il go with a 1-0 win to ireland, robbie mid second half

irishfan86
07/10/2009, 12:41 AM
I'll take 1-0 Ireland, with McGeady getting his first goal for the boys in green.

MeathDrog
07/10/2009, 12:50 AM
Has a draw written all over it. 1-1, with the Italians scoring first, and Doyle equalising for us.

shaneker
07/10/2009, 7:12 AM
Definitely a draw, and a 0-0 at that. Will be like the Germany game a few years back in Croker I reckon, with the difference that both teams will be happy with this result. Wouldn't put it past us to nick it though - can't really see the Italians being that bothered knowing they have a home game with Cyprus in hand. I'd take a draw now.

Advance notice - I will not argue with anyone who says 'I won't be happy with a draw, we should be beating Italy at home, old team, home advantage, past their best' etc etc because anyone who says this is an idiot.

Sligo Hornet
07/10/2009, 8:09 AM
I have a feeling it'll be a victorious night....2-1 with McGeady (finally hitting the net!) and a peno from Robbie!!:)

shaneker
07/10/2009, 8:49 AM
I have a feeling it'll be a victorious night....2-1 with McGeady (finally hitting the net!) and a peno from Robbie!!:)

Certainly would be a great night! I don't think anyone would be particularly looking forward to coming to Dublin in the play-offs anyway, but a win over the world champions would make the seeded teams take notice alright.

I would bite your hand off for a draw, but I agree we should go for it - just getting beaten would make Wednesday so nervy...

Murfinator
07/10/2009, 9:08 AM
Could see Italy getting the better of us, they were spectacular last month and the loss of the one player we have who can actually hold on to possession will hurt us big time.

2-0 Italy

Fester
07/10/2009, 9:43 AM
1 v 1 with the Italians scoring first......

Stuttgart88
07/10/2009, 9:59 AM
1-0 Italy.

It would be Ireland if we secured a play off spot a game early and without a few days of totally sh1tting ourselves.

Can someone please remind me who's on a yellow going into the Monty game?

irishfan86
07/10/2009, 10:36 AM

McGeady, Whelan, Andrews, McShane, and Given:

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/preliminaries/europe/teams/team=43953/statistics.html

eaststand85
07/10/2009, 10:37 AM
1-0 Italy.

It would be Ireland if we secured a play off spot a game early and without a few days of totally sh1tting ourselves.

According to a post in another thread (http://foot.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=125528)

McGeady (Cyprus H)
Given (Cyprus H)
Andrews (Georgia H)
McShane (Italy A)
Whelan (Bulgaria A)
Folan (Cyprus A)

irishfan86
07/10/2009, 10:40 AM
Yeah, I didn't mention Folan because he's not going to be involved in these games.

It's not beyond possibility that both Whelan and Andrews could pick up a yellow and we'd be left with Rowlands and Miller in the centre of midfield for our game against Montenegro....

shaneker
07/10/2009, 10:43 AM
Yeah, I didn't mention Folan because he's not going to be involved in these games.

It's not beyond possibility that both Whelan and Andrews could pick up a yellow and we'd be left with Rowlands and Miller in the centre of midfield for our game against Montenegro....

I would have slept so much easier for the next week if you had never mentioned that. Thanks a lot - I work early mornings :(

irishfan86
07/10/2009, 10:45 AM
I would have slept so much easier for the next week if you had never mentioned that. Thanks a lot - I work early mornings :(

It's nearly 3AM here and I'm about to go to bed...I think I'll be having nightmares as well.

Although if Miller is on form, it should be a cakewalk for us! It just depends what guy shows up for work that day.

DeLorean
07/10/2009, 10:46 AM
1-0 Italy.

It wouldn't be Ireland if we secured a play off spot a game early and without a few days of totally sh1tting ourselves

I don't think Bulgaria will win in Cyprus so that will ease the nerves in a big way.

:ball:Rep Ireland 1-0 Italy:ball:

Just a feeling and I'm not going to let my brain overrule.

Noelys Guitar
07/10/2009, 11:47 AM
Ireland v Italy at Landsdowne very early 70's was the first Ireland game I went to. Italy won 2-1. Dunphy was playing (woefully). I fancy us to reverse the scoreline of that day. 2-1 Ireland.

seanfhear
07/10/2009, 11:57 AM

Maybe ? thats why Martin Rowlands has been called up for this squad. Are our management team this astute.

Miller as one of two defensive midfielders would frighten the life out of me.

Crosby87
07/10/2009, 12:29 PM
My head says 3-0 Italy. My heart says 2-0 Italy.

Brenny
07/10/2009, 12:40 PM
2-1 Italy with us letting in a dodgy goal in the last 5 minutes.

lionelhutz
07/10/2009, 12:48 PM
I won't be happy with a draw, we should be beating Italy at home, they're an old team, we have home advantage, they're past their best ;)

Billy-Green
07/10/2009, 1:08 PM
I won't be happy with a draw, we should be beating Italy at home, they're an old team, we have home advantage, they're past their best ;)

Dead on
2-0 Ireland

Razors left peg
07/10/2009, 1:12 PM
For some reason this is the least excited Ive been about a big game that I can remember.

The continued mess over Andy Reid even with Duff unavailible, the continued insisdence of calling Andy Keogh a winger, Kevin Kilbanes inabilty to get dropped from the team even though he has been a total liability for the whole campaign and with his mistakes against Bulgaria costing us the points that could see us top of the group,maybe the long ball crap we played away to Cyprus or maybe its because even if we win this game and make the playoffs FIFAs corruption in looking after the bigger nations means that we probably wont go any further.

One of these things on its own wouldnt be enough for me to lose my enthusiasm but I think a combination of them all has worn me down into apathy................... or maybe Im just in a bad mood and being a miserable ***** today :)

tetsujin1979
07/10/2009, 1:17 PM
it's not about dropping Kilbane, it's about who's available to replace him. Arguably we haven't had a reliable left full since Irwin retired

Razors left peg
07/10/2009, 1:19 PM
it's not about dropping Kilbane, it's about who's available to replace him. Arguably we haven't had a reliable left full since Irwin retired

I would argue that any natural defender such as Nolan or Kelly would be more reliable there because that is what they are used to doing all the time since they were younger. Kilbane was never a natural defender in his career

paul_oshea
07/10/2009, 1:50 PM
For some reason this is the least excited Ive been about a big game that I can remember.

The continued mess over Andy Reid even with Duff unavailible, the continued insisdence of calling Andy Keogh a winger, Kevin Kilbanes inabilty to get dropped from the team even though he has been a total liability for the whole campaign and with his mistakes against Bulgaria costing us the points that could see us top of the group,maybe the long ball crap we played away to Cyprus or maybe its because even if we win this game and make the playoffs FIFAs corruption in looking after the bigger nations means that we probably wont go any further.

One of these things on its own wouldnt be enough for me to lose my enthusiasm but I think a combination of them all has worn me down into apathy................... or maybe Im just in a bad mood and being a miserable ***** today :)

Im trying to work out the 5 stars :scratchhead: (where is that smiley), bitch? :

Lenny82
07/10/2009, 1:52 PM
The Bulgaria game should be over before we even kick-off. That will have a huge impact on how we go into this game. If Bulgaria fail to win, Ireland will go all out attack and I can see that working positively for us.

If Bulgaria fail to win - Ireland 2-1 Italy
If Bulgaria win - Ireland 1-2 Italy

geysir
07/10/2009, 1:59 PM
Italy to score first and are genetically moulded to sit back and protect, we might equalise or we might not.
We might equalise and our captain signs a truce with their captain.
We might equalise and we might have have our dander up and nick a winner.

Drumcondra 69er
07/10/2009, 2:06 PM

I'm going for the latter ;). And can people please stop talking about Kilbane's 'mistake' for the og at home to Bulgaria, there was nothing he could do about that. The away game fair enough but not the home one....

I'm thinking it'll be 0-0 or 1-1.

Wolfie
07/10/2009, 2:08 PM

There are negatives we have to consider also......................

SuperDave
07/10/2009, 2:09 PM
If Bulgaria fail to win: Ireland 0-0 Italy, everyone happy

If Bulgaria win: Ireland 0-1 Italy, everyone unhappy

M@ttitude
07/10/2009, 2:22 PM
It will be a dull game, cold and the atmosphere will turn bad in Croker because of sheer boredom.. Scoreless until a Quinnesque flick from Doyle finds the stretched leg of Robbie Keane at the back post to win the game 1-0 in the 89th minute!

Do you reckon I could write that paragraph on a betting slip and get a price?

seanfhear
07/10/2009, 2:26 PM
It will be a dull game, cold and the atmosphere will turn bad in Croker because of sheer boredom.. Scoreless until a Quinnesque flick from Doyle finds the stretched leg of Robbie Keane at the back post to win the game 1-0 in the 89th minute!

Do you reckon I could write that paragraph on a betting slip and get a price?No. god damn it no(just making my post long enough to be posted) so NO.

Soccer Mom
07/10/2009, 2:31 PM
It's got to be 1-1 again. Doyle & Kilbane to score :)

"You'll never beat the Irish .... but there's a very good chance you won't lose to them either"

murfee
07/10/2009, 3:11 PM
Does anybody know how tickets are selling ? Will this be a sell-out?

Tipp Townie
07/10/2009, 3:12 PM
I'm going for 1-1 too.

A much better performance from us, but Italy score first. We roar back and don't leave it as late as in Bari. Several more chances for a great win go begging and we have to settle for a draw.

twoenz
07/10/2009, 3:15 PM
Draw, hopefully with no midfield bookings.

DeLorean
07/10/2009, 3:25 PM
Draw, hopefully with no midfield bookings.

I must admit, I wouldn't be too scared of life without Whelan.

Soccer Mom
07/10/2009, 3:49 PM
Does anybody know how tickets are selling ? Will this be a sell-out?

There are ads still running on the radio for tickets for the two matches and just checked Ticketmaster and there are tickets available.

SuperDave
07/10/2009, 3:56 PM
There are ads still running on the radio for tickets for the two matches and just checked Ticketmaster and there are tickets available.

wherefor art thou ticketsthough?

murfee
07/10/2009, 4:03 PM
Tried to buy two @ €50 earlier but it seems that they are all gone !!!

Razors left peg
07/10/2009, 4:26 PM
I must admit, I wouldn't be too scared of life without Whelan.

well when the alternative in the squad at the moment is Miller Id be very scared

soccerboy
07/10/2009, 4:28 PM
ireland 1-0....either dunne or keane to score,who else sure!!

DeLorean
07/10/2009, 4:30 PM
well when the alternative in the squad at the moment is Miller Id be very scared

Believe it or not I considered that before posting my comment.

Razors left peg
07/10/2009, 4:43 PM
Believe it or not I considered that before posting my comment.

Id have a lad that has played consistantly in the Premiership this season and last ahead of a lad that took 4 months to find a club... although admitidly his form does seem to be good by all accounts since he has found one.
Still though, I think Whelan was excellent against Italy last time and he deserves his place in the team at the moment

DeLorean
07/10/2009, 4:49 PM
Id have a lad that has played consistantly in the Premiership this season and last ahead of a lad that took 4 months to find a club... although admitidly his form does seem to be good by all accounts since he has found one.
Still though, I think Whelan was excellent against Italy last time and he deserves his place in the team at the moment

Don't rate him at all so far, for club or country. That Italy match was a midfielders dream* the way they retreated and didn't pressure the ball, but credit where it's due, it was his best match for us. I'm not saying I'd have Miller ahead of him, I just wouldn't care if he was suspended.

*PS: When I say a midfielders dream, I mean a midfielder like Whelan or Gibson who look scared to get a hold of the ball, obviously it would be a more creative midfielders nightmare. Gibson also looked useful when he came on that night I thought.

weldoninhio
07/10/2009, 7:25 PM
3-0 Italy, with 11 men.

noddy102
07/10/2009, 8:02 PM
3-0 Italy, with 11 men.

Ah but we had Paul McShane... which was effectively playing with 10 men too.

Razors left peg
07/10/2009, 8:19 PM
3-0 Italy, with 11 men.

when is the last time we lost a compeditive home game by that score?

M@ttitude
07/10/2009, 9:46 PM
Australia, but a friendly... I reckon this will be another game of chess, I expect Trap to play very direct if Italy go ahead, like last time.. Thats why I was very surprised that Andy Reid wasn't included in the squad. A last ten minute bombardment of their box supplied by Reid might be necessary! Instead of hoofed balls by Dunne.

SkStu
07/10/2009, 10:06 PM
put their 22 by our 22 (?) and it should be 3-0, easy.

Football is a funny ol game and if Italy come here not properly focussed they might be in for a rude awakening....

all that said, ill go with 1-1 (a safe bet for an Irish game - :D )