PDA

View Full Version : Return of the Roy?

Pages : [1] 2

tricky_colour
19/02/2004, 8:22 PM
Roy says its down to Brian Kerr?:D

Slash/ED
19/02/2004, 8:47 PM
rent-a-quote Roy at it again. Though unlike the last comments he does actually hint that he wants to come back this time, I still can't see it.

petef
19/02/2004, 9:18 PM
He got another book coming out? I think he would do wonders for our midfield again, question is will the other players accept him, I think we moved on to be honest.

Footie_Fan
19/02/2004, 9:23 PM
Stranger things have happened, granted not much stranger. I would love Roy to come back for the World Cup. But I get the feeling I will have to see it before I believe it.

madser6
19/02/2004, 9:24 PM
praying for roy to get back to international footie, where he belongs!!

:)
Fingers crossed he and Brian Kerr will get around the table and knock it out!!

:ball:

petef
19/02/2004, 9:26 PM
Originally posted by madser6

:)
Fingers crossed he and Brian Kerr will get around the table and knock it out!!

And what about getting back to international football?

madser6
19/02/2004, 9:29 PM
oh but doesnt the table come first!!!

Gary
19/02/2004, 9:45 PM
Will that media hungry gobsh*te ever just f*ck off and leave us all alone, the fecking prostitute.

Anyway, on last nigts performance we dont need him. He is an old timer, and way past his best!!!!

*here we go again *
:p

adamcarr
19/02/2004, 9:50 PM
I dont believe a word of it.
i would love to see him in the green shirt again but it has been said to many times and then he leaves us down again.
i am not anti-keane i have always supported him sand will always support hin against that l@nger mccarthy i have just heard this story too many times and am getting sick of it

Gary
19/02/2004, 9:53 PM
Originally posted by adamcarr

i am not anti-keane i have always supported him sand will always support hin against that l@nger mccarthy

Em, Im sure u will find that McCarthy is gone, long long gone at this point, so he doesnt even enter the equation.

Declan_Michael
19/02/2004, 10:00 PM
This has been done time and again. Will he ever shut up.

Why didn't he come back when Kerr asked him? Do the right thing Brian and tell him were to stick it. Don't listen to the Man yoo lovers and the Oirish press we proved last night that we have moved on. :mad:

MikeW
20/02/2004, 12:16 AM
Oh good god no, not this again. Will it ever end? Just forget about him people, sure he's still a decent player but he's not the future of Irish football, its time someone else stood up to take his place there's no point in bringing a divisive figure like Roy Keane back for what would amount to a stop-gap presence for one qualifying tournament, and in the process blocking some other younger player from getting some vital experience.

I imagine in 40 years time or so when Keane is close to his deathbed there'll still be some fool out there who thinks theres just the slightest possibility of a remote chance that he might play for Ireland again because he was heard to say he would have liked to have played at the new Lansdowne Road stadium thats just been built. :)

petef
20/02/2004, 5:16 AM
This is getting a lot of coverage, on the BBC site, Sporting Life and they just had a discussion on it on Talksport this morning.

macdermesser
20/02/2004, 6:47 AM
I think the coverage this time suggests that there is something in it. Cunnigham is going to be 35 by the next world cup .. a year older than Keane, so the age thing is not such a huge factor. I think we'd be mad not to want him back if there is something in this story. Whatever your feelings are about Saipan, he still made a huge contribution to us getting there. Those two home games against Portugal and Holland, he was immense. I hope Brian gets on the phone to him today, and gets a definitive answer, yes or no.

..actually just read David Kelly's article in the indo and it doesn't look so clear cut..

http://www.unison.ie/sportsdesk/stories.php3?ca=12&si=1130495

"probably be unfair on the team and probably unfair on Brian Kerr."

Plastic Paddy
20/02/2004, 7:23 AM
F**k him. He's ****ed on our dreams far too often for me to want to see him in a green shirt again. I'd rather have a team of Kevin Kilbanes than Roy Keanes representing my country. At least I'd know that the eleven I was watching really wanted to be there.

Roy Keane - gtf.

:mad: PP

only1kilbane
20/02/2004, 8:14 AM
i agree 100% with the last comment. The cheek of him to do this to us again ! get everyone talking about the little judas .

Look he had his chance back in febuary when Brian asked him back for the Scottish game and he let us down again so f**k him.

As far as i can remember it was his medical advisors ( ie mr ferguson) who stopped him or so he says coming back last time so will they be happy now ?

Footie_Fan
20/02/2004, 8:21 AM
Originally posted by only1kilbane
Look he had his chance back in febuary when Brian asked him back for the Scottish game and he let us down again so f**k him.

At that point his season and possibly his career were under threat. Now he is back to full fitness.

pbn
20/02/2004, 8:23 AM
Forget the business with McCarthy in Japan....... People seem to forget he was also messing Kerr around and attention seeking before the Scotland friendly.

Now he's also started having a go at Man U's young players. Of course he's is/was a great player but he just has too much of a negative influence and is a bully. Lets forget him.

PaulB
20/02/2004, 8:32 AM
All a big storm in a tea-cup. he said in an interview on radio 1 that he wouldn't be comign back. End of story - goodnight.

macdermesser
20/02/2004, 8:41 AM
don't know if there is much point in dragging this debate on ... but .. if it ever got to the stage, unlikely and all as it is now, that the manager and players were willing to take him back, and that his "no friendlies" thing was accepted (even more unlikely), and Fergie gave it his blessing .. then you can't argue that his presence would not add a dimension that no one else around could add. I was angry as the next guy about how he didn't come back for the Russian and Swiss game .. but what's the point in carrying all this hatred and bitterness around.

At least I'd know that the eleven I was watching really wanted to be there.

well .. judging on the Portugal game .. and in fact every competitve Irish game in recent memory he was more than just there.

Anyway ... judging by the comments he has made, it seems unlikely that it is going to happen .. and perhaps he should have kept his mouth shut, instead of getting some people's hopes up, or opening up old wounds again.

PatrickNiland
20/02/2004, 8:48 AM
Plastic Paddy - F**k him. He's ****ed on our dreams

What the hell? Sure wasn't he the one who got us to the world cup in the first place or can't you remember the qualifying games.

As Man Utd are a lesser team without him playing, so are we! You can talk all you want about all the other players we have (both the young and old). None of them have done it for both Club and Country, consistently of the years!

And as for the world cup. I seem to remember that it was Mick McCarthy who sent him home! As with all arguments, Mick McCarthy had a chance to bash it out with Roy, but choose the easier option to send him home (Sure, he didn't like Roy anyway!)

I think it's up to Brian Kerr to decide what will happen. Roy has made the first attempt of an apology. I would gladly see him back in the team.

VOTE YES FOR ROY!

Plastic Paddy
20/02/2004, 8:59 AM
Originally posted by PatrickNiland
VOTE YES FOR ROY!

Sorry mate, I know what you're saying about our qualifying games (how could I forget?) but he's subsequently ****ed on our bonfire once too often. Remember the private jet, the apology and him stringing everyone along just before the Cameroon game? Remember the Scotland game - Brian's first - where Keane hogged the headlines by announcing his retirement just as Kerr announced his squad? And now we've performed creditably against Brazil, he wants back in. Well, he can gtf.

I'll say it again. F**k him. He might be the best midfielder we've ever produced, but as a man he's lacking. He's made a laughing stock of us once and I'll not suffer that again. We don't need him. End of.

:) PP

colster
20/02/2004, 9:05 AM
Originally posted by Plastic Paddy
Sorry mate, he's ****ed on our bonfire once too often. Remember the private jet, the apology and Roy the arsehole stringing everyone along just before the Cameroon game? Remember the Scotland game - Brian's first - where Keane hogged the headlines by announcing his retirement just as Kerr announced his squad? And now we've performed creditably against Brazil, he wants back in. Well, he can gtf.

I'll say it again. F**k him. He might be the best midfielder we've ever produced, but as a man he's lacking. He's made a laughing stock of us once and I'll not suffer that again. We don't need him. End of.

:) PP

Have to say I'm getting really sick of this I will/I won't/I might ****e. He professes to be professional. How can any professional be so indecisive.

I'd love to see him in the Ireland team again. But before he comes back he needs to apologise to the fans and the team for any the hurt that he caused them. All he has to do is say sorry he didn't play in the W.C. but that he did what he thought was best for Irish football.
If he comes out with something like that I think any doubting fans would be appeased.

Can't see it happening though!

PatrickNiland
20/02/2004, 9:13 AM
Plastic Paddy

the private jet
Man Utd arranged that for him, because the FAI would not arrange a flight for him!

the apology
Gave his side of the story, since everyone else was giving theirs!

Roy the arsehole stringing everyone along just before the Cameroon game?
What did you want him to do. The press were hounding him, plus everyone in the country was divided whether to bring him back or not!

Remember the Scotland game - Brian's first - where Keane hogged the headlines by announcing his retirement just as Kerr announced his squad?
Kerr was the new manager and alot of people wanted Roy back. Kerr himself had to finish off the rumours and get on with it. So he did!

And now we've performed creditably against Brazil, he wants back in.
Well he's had time to think. Nearly all of the older crowd that got rid of him are gone and he's looking for a second chance. Don't tell me that you've never wanted someone to give you a second chance!

He's made a laughing stock of us once and I'll not suffer that again.
Once bitten, Twice shy. To forgive, is to forget...... Whatever way you put it, alot of people will feel the same. I think he does deserve another chance.

Everyone deserves another chance. It's not as if he killed someone. He had a fallout with MM, MM sent him home and all the country hates him because of it! Put yourself in his shoes, you have an fallout with one person and for the rest of your life, millions of people are going to despise and hate you!

Later

PN

Neil04
20/02/2004, 9:17 AM
People should keep a level head in relation to this. Roy Keane does play a media game and that should be taken on board. But in addition to that he is not going to announce that he wants to play and then for Brian Kerr to say no he does not want him That is why he has hinted in my opinion, but it may come to nothing and it could just be hot air.

however whether we take him back the answer has to be yes Manchester Utd who have huge resources are not the same team without him so Ireland which has a population of about 4 million has missed him. Having played football i dont care if the guy next to me is my mate or not, as long as he is the best player available in that position. That is what it comes down to ability and i dont think anybody can argue that he does not have the ability. I am a an Ireland supporter first and foremost, Bohemians second and Spurs third so i do not have any anti Man U or pro Man U agenda here. Think of this as a team to play the work cup qualifiers and you will then agree lets have him back

Given
Carr O Brien Cunningham O Shea

Miller Keane Reid Duff

Keane
Morrisson

only1kilbane
20/02/2004, 9:57 AM
Why are there so many people who still want him back ?

Do people love to see there country been made a mockery off again and again , The man is using us for his personal gain the little ****er.

He had the chance in february didnt take it up ( on medical grounds aka mr ferguson ) now suddenly its ok for him to play 10 games to his programme for manu .

Move on we will make the best of what we have .

The man i feel sorry for is brian kerr having to talk about this muppet again

Ozymandias
20/02/2004, 10:03 AM
onlyoneklbane...I think you have summed up more about yourself by saying that Roy
The man is using us for his personal gain the little ****er. and also calling him a muppet........

sounds like you now what your talking about all right......
:rolleyes:

Declan_Michael
20/02/2004, 10:04 AM
Brian Kerr should show some balls and tell the world that he isn't welcome.

At the moment Keane is running riot through the press and dispite being 'retired' is still disrupting the set up.

Anyway Keane dosent do friendlies so the earliest return would be sept.

Ozymandias
20/02/2004, 10:06 AM
roll on september......

lopez
20/02/2004, 10:17 AM
What the hell? Sure wasn't he the one who got us to the world cup in the first place or can't you remember the qualifying games.
No! It was Jason McAteer. :rolleyes:

Declan_Michael
20/02/2004, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by lopez

and all the guys who turned up in Tehran.

lopez
20/02/2004, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Holteender
How would Roy do in the game vs France (Vieira, Henry etc)?
Erm, he'd be out in the park with the dog, taking nearly two hours for her to have a sh*te, followed by a long walk home contemplating the numerous phone calls from the meedja over the inevitable inept performance due to his unavoidable, but premature, McCarthy/FAI inspired retirement. :D

tiktok
20/02/2004, 10:42 AM
I've been one of the most pro-keane people on here when these debates surface, and there's little doubt that he's still the best Irish central midfielder currently playing competitive football. He'd certainly add to the squad.

However I, like everybody else, am sick of this.

Keane wants (as my mom would say) 'jam and jam up on it'. He pretty much wants to be invited back, and with conditions. I can understand why he wants that given the history, but it's not on.

You either retire officially, or else you say "I'm available for selection" and leave it to Kerr, those are the options. Hopefully, Kerr was on the phone to him this morning and got definite yes or no.

Personally, much as I admire him, i think the Keane ship has sailed and it's time for the Irish squad (and increasingly tabloid media) to move on.

Declan_Michael
20/02/2004, 10:47 AM
Can we at least end the 'he's the best Irish player ever' side of the debate. Nobody, either pro or anti Keane would deny his ability. It's the principle of the matter. Keane coming back would show that he has more power than any other Irish player, Brian Kerr or FAI.

Declan_Michael
20/02/2004, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Come_in#37
It would be an arguable point that he did. Rooming alone after Denis Irwin retired, getting better conditions etc. Would this have been done without Roy?

Yeah they gave him too much power and look what happened. He complained about facilities in Saipan but went the wrong way about it. He'd lost the heart to play for Ireland even before the team set off for the World Cup.

Lionel Ritchie
20/02/2004, 11:06 AM

Kerr was the new manager and alot of people wanted Roy back. Kerr himself had to finish off the rumours and get on with it. So he (Roy -sic) did!

Patrick he unequivocably and undeniably stabbed Brian Kerr in the back -Brian Kerr had never crossed nor wronged Roy and by the weekend before Scotland had accepted Roys decision to retire.
They agreed, as two adults -not as master and servant, that Roys retirement wouldn't be announced until after the Scotland game so as not to distract OUR team -(yours, mine, Roys, Brians...) from the task in hand.

But this doesn't suit Roy by Tuesday (and Roy has to come first as he keeps reminding us) as he claims his phone is hopping with journalists and there's too much "talk" in the papers (did he think he was going to dampen any of this by his little solo run?FFS) so without so much as a courtesy call to BK he announces he's fcuking off again. Kerr had to find out at a press briefing.

Would I have him back? Personally I couldn't give rats arse if he dropped off the face of the earth.
If he makes himself available then as far I'm concerned it's entirely up to Brian Kerr to avail of Roys undisputed talents if he wants to.
That means BTW that if Brian decides to tell Roy to go fcuk himself then that should be that -no media pressure, no phone calls from the office of An Taoiseach, no JP McManus private jets warmed up runways. That should be the bloody end of it.

cullenswood
20/02/2004, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by davros
Occasionally this has/would translate into a decent performance for Ireland

"Occasionally"??????, He practically dragged the team to the World Cup. Anyway we shouldn't be getting involved in all this pro/anti Keane bullsh*t and close the chapter altogether. He will never play for Ireland again, and it is time to move.

But one thing I can't understand is that those who have the opinion (and they are entitled to it, even if it is wrong!!) that the Saipan Shambles was all his fault, cannot admit that he was a great player.

It doesn't matter if you think he was a pr1ck he was still an outstanding player, one of the best Ireland has/will ever produce and that should be acknowleged

Condex
20/02/2004, 11:20 AM
I'd avail of his services if available. I'd start him on the bench and bring him on if required.

He's not getting any younger he'll be pushing 35 by the time of the next world cup. So it would just be a temporary measure, maybe he can help to bring Liam Miller along.

only1kilbane
20/02/2004, 11:23 AM
i think most people will acknowledge whatever they think about Saipan that he was our greatest ever player but was is the way to put it !

The bloke has gone from a hero in my opinion to scum of the earth. Why not leave brian kerr alone he has a hard enough job without that ego driven fella going on about how he has unfinished business. The business that was there to be unfinished was in february when you made your choice !

Build a bridge and get over it you gob****e !

PaulB
20/02/2004, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by lopez

and how pray did you come to that conclusion ? Because he scored the goal agianst the Dutch ? Who created the goal, who was man of the match, selective fecken' memories you lot!

Who dragged us througha gainst cyprus. Who ran the show against portugal.

Get over your personal vendettas.

Plastic Paddy
20/02/2004, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by PaulB
Get over your personal vendettas.

It's not us who keep re-opening this debate, but the Dork from Cork and his manipulation of the meeja. Read and re-read many of the comments here. We don't deny his pivotal role in securing us a place at WC2002. We don't even deny that he's the greatest footballer Ireland has ever produced. What we can't stand is the way that he's constantly ****ed us around. By "us", I mean you, me, everyone here, Irish fans, the team and its management.

If you think it's us that need to get over personal vendettas, I suggest you consult the available evidence. I think it's yer man from Maysfield that needs to look to himself on this point.

:mad: PP

only1kilbane
20/02/2004, 11:48 AM
no your right it wasnt jason mc ateer ! it was steve finnan who created the goal with the superb cross !!

I think we are allowed have personal vendettas with the way he treats his own country !

Look at peole like kilbane who when 14 refused to play for the england under 15s to play for us !

he gives 100% every game and still gets so much stick and your man does what he likes with us plays his selected games and is still considered a hero.

Fair enough he is world class kilbane is not but he has the right attitude to his country !

if only more could be like him

only1kilbane
20/02/2004, 12:18 PM
Struggle to hold a team moving in first gear thats a funny one !

Firstly they didnt struggle at all and the central midfield were very quiet for midfield.

You should be happy with kilbane thats the kind of commitment sadly lacking from players like keane who feels he can dictate when he can and cant play for his country !

Tehran was a prime example we were hardly running away with the tie from the first leg but he decides not to play.

Why take back someone who will prob change his mind again and create a bad atmosphere in a sound squad trying to rebuild

Xlex
20/02/2004, 12:28 PM
Kilbane was singled out for attention by Keane in the interviews.

I wish a conditional thread was opened up. As far as many here are concerned problems since Brian Kerr took over have make it impossible for RK to return to the Irish squad. Nothing pre-Brian Kerr should ever make it's way back into this arguement. I've read one on boards and it's all about Siapan and why RK should be back.

Roy Keanes interview has pushed and pulled at the notion of a return. I think that if RK is serious about returning then fine. We can't do without him. I think it is RK phone call to make and at 33 he can do it. If Roy Keane isn't making that call, he should shut his face to the media. He's a ****ing arsehole if he playing the media game.

I noticed that Luis Figo reached 100 caps in the friendly against England. Fair play, I thought of Roy Keane and his lost oppertunity.

Macy
20/02/2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Xlex
If Roy Keane isn't making that call, he should shut his face to the media. He's a ****ing arsehole if he playing the media game.
All credit to the media, but he was here to promote the guide dogs.... It's hardly his fault that all the media want to ask him about is coming back to play. If you actually listened to what he said, I don't think he was hinting at a return at all - more that the team is doing okay without him and if he did return it could upset the progress that has been made.... Keane's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. Would you rather he didn't give up his time to promote Irish Charities, just so the press can't ask him about coming back?

On Tehran, it was more he was advised not to play the first match and could've been pulled no problem by United (he'd missed the few previous United games if I remember correctly). It was a deal done between the Muppet, Keane and United so that he would play in any of the games. Very revisionist view that he just couldn't be bothered, and I don't remember a huge uproar at the time, more relief that he made one of the games.

tetsujin1979
20/02/2004, 12:46 PM
Posted this on soccercentral aswell:

There's a lot of PR in there too. they way he said that it's not entirely up to him, that the management and current squad will have a say in it as well.

There's basically 2 circumstances:

1 - He comes back and plays well then everyone will start saying "we would have qualified for Euro 2004 with him".

2 - Imagine for a minute Brian Kerr says it will be discussed by himsledf and the squad. There is a meeting with the squad on their opinions. By a slim majority, it's voted not to have Keano back into the team as it's feared he would be a disruptive influence (or some other reason).

Keane's the hero here - the players are the villains. Cue the media saying "Ireland has turned its back on its best player" and so forth.

Put simply Roy can't lose.

Remember last year when he was over as a public face for the Special Olympics and he refused point blank to talk about any return, indeed anything relating to football? Any now this year as a public face for Shades for a Day he's only too willing to talk about it.

fergalr
20/02/2004, 12:52 PM
Boys oh boys - its just like the civil war (y'know the real one, in the 20s). Each side has their atrocities and heros and their own (re)vision of pivotal events.

In 50 years, maybe even our political system will be realigned according to the stand that voters' parents took on the Saipan saga.

In the meantime why don't we all take a chill pill and just reflect on
the 1-0 vs Holland - the last day of unity and comradeship - just like the 1919 Dail......

tiktok
20/02/2004, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Macy
if I remember correctly........It was a deal done between the Muppet, Keane and United so that he would play in any of the games. Very revisionist view that he just couldn't be bothered, and I don't remember a huge uproar at the time, more relief that he made one of the games.

you do, and that sums up the Tehran thing quite well. No-one ever expressed anything other than happiness that he'd be at the first leg until the McCarthy ambush brought it up (but lets not get into Saipan again).

I think the common consensus is something like.....
Great player
Would add to the squad
we're all sick of the speculation
Kill it now, move on without him.

thecorner
20/02/2004, 3:34 PM
roy keane was asked questions
all he did was naswered them

not once does it say that he wants to return to irish team

just the press changing quotes again to suit their own headlines and u cant blame roy keane for that

only1kilbane
20/02/2004, 3:53 PM
changing quotes my arse ? i have unfinished business with the irish team and its up to brian kerr !

Sounds to me like hes stirring it up again .

Leave sleeping dogs lie.

Why answer them questions in the interview at all the gob****e,
he knows how the papers will construe them..