PDA

View Full Version : Avondale Game!

NorthoftheLee
19/02/2004, 3:44 PM
Is there many heading to this game??...can't fcukin wait...the drought is finally over for me....

should be a good game with some of the ex city players on avondales team probably wanting to make a point or 2......

b_mcsweeney
19/02/2004, 5:41 PM
i'll be there, been a while since i've been out to bishopstown. should be a decent crowd with this being the first game of the preseason within the city limits.

kevincronin2000
19/02/2004, 5:53 PM
Ya i'll be there its a pity it clashes with ireland v wales in the rugby
Why is the game not being played in the cross. Any new merchendise available polo shirts etc

NorthoftheLee
20/02/2004, 8:10 AM
Originally posted by b_mcsweeny
i'll be there, been a while since i've been out to bishopstown. should be a decent crowd with this being the first game of the preseason within the city limits.

Since when have they started playing games in a NightClub.??? ;)

Pablo
20/02/2004, 12:52 PM
yeah gonna head out alright-to end the cold turkey!

Hung Daddy
20/02/2004, 2:16 PM
What's the crack, can anyone confirm the date, time and venue for this game, please :-)

NorthoftheLee
20/02/2004, 2:37 PM
sunday 22nd 2pm Bishopstown

SSS
20/02/2004, 5:21 PM
Originally posted by NorthoftheLee
sunday 22nd 2pm Bishopstown

Irish footie is back, complete with confusion about kick offs...I thought it was 2.30pm?:confused:

Eric
20/02/2004, 6:05 PM
I'll be at this one too

Gary
20/02/2004, 6:15 PM
Pity its clashing with the egg chasing :mad: , but i imagine most City fans will brave the elements and the freezing cold anyways.

joe
20/02/2004, 7:36 PM
Originally posted by b_mcsweeney
should be a decent crowd with this being the first game of the preseason within the city limits.

eh?

dcnags
22/02/2004, 10:03 AM
Todays the big day!!

Can't wait for it and hope there will be a decent crowd there to watch it also. Should be an entertaining game:)

adamcarr
22/02/2004, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by xtreme rebel
No its definately 2pm

On the teletext it says 2-30 kick off

Neil
22/02/2004, 11:16 AM
Is it 2 or 2.30??????

joe
22/02/2004, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Neil
Is it 2 or 2.30??????

whichever it is be advised to wrap up well - it was freezing there yesterday :eek:

Ruairi
22/02/2004, 3:38 PM
3-0

Doyler,, Stevie Flynn and Georgie.

Good enough game, not a bad crowd, stevie flynn, doyler and sweeney were excellent, georgies goal was a cracker, 20 yard screamer.

eoinh
22/02/2004, 3:41 PM
great stuff!

do city have another friendly lined up in cork?

A face
22/02/2004, 4:43 PM
Originally posted by Ruairi
not a bad crowd,

How many were there ?

What kinda of line up was it ??
Was Nwánko playing ??

Gary
22/02/2004, 6:10 PM
Steve O F and Sweeney linked up very well. Both were the stars. But Doyle/Fenn/Coln T all had very good games as well.

I didnt think George played all that well today, but that could have been down to the fact he was being man marked and having lumps kicked off him.

I would imagine todays starting XI was more or less the one we will be seeing in a few wks (apparently we are away 1st day). My only problem is, is where does everyone fit?

I would start S O F ahead of Kearney. I would obviously start
J o F, but with who? Fenn i suppose. Then put Doyle on the right with Sweeney and George in the middle. Thing is, is where does Colin T fit in, as he is first team material.

Perhaps Colin and Sweeney in the middle, with George up front and let fenn earn his place?

Good probelm to have none the less.

Ruairi
22/02/2004, 6:17 PM
Originally posted by Gary
I would obviously start
J o F, but with who? Fenn i suppose.

would you really start jof after the long injury lay off? To be honest I'd start with Fenn and let JOF prove his fitness first

dcnags
22/02/2004, 6:17 PM
Heard off 1 of the players derek was in trouble for going to his old job and that he mightn't be there next season if it continues as he signed a full time contract at the time.

Ruairi
22/02/2004, 6:21 PM
nothin to do with me any more ;)

AFAIK The suppliers still haven;t issued the jerseys to Red after they were promised, so to be honest your guess is as good as mine. So for the delay buddy, but it ain't nothin to to with me

Gary
22/02/2004, 6:27 PM
I Would also explain why dolan is being linked with a centre back lately ( Mulcahy at Waterford) because Bennett doesn't cut it at centre half imo.

Well I heard from a source within both City and Avondale that Pat is quite an admirer of Noel Hartigan. I saw the two of them have a long chat after the game today, and was told they left in the same car? Will it be Noels third run with City, in the position he can actually play in????

Oh ya, benno is a terrible centre half!! :rolleyes:

Its Oisin's problem, pass on the message to him if you can because he just ignores my messages. Sports broadcaster of the year my ******! Its gone beyond a joke!Thanks Ruairi!

Did it ever occur to u to maybe ring REDFM rather than posting moan after maon about it here? I rang them on the matter the other day, and they said they will have it sorted as soon as Oisin is back frm hols, which he is now.

dcnags
22/02/2004, 6:44 PM
Which player told ya??

Can't be naming people now can I?
It would explain why he hasn't been seen and it was great to see nwanko there because of the talk about him not being back yet.

RedX
22/02/2004, 6:47 PM
Gary..let Fenn earn his place..thats some statement...probably the best player City have signed in a long time and will be the star of the season..did you see his touches?? :confused:

Anybody see the two chances Avondale had in the first half?..well both came from Billy Woods side..he has to be replaced because he is going to cost us points..

Sweeney needs games under his belt and he does look good but far from finished article...

S O Flynn definetly knows how to cross the ball.His crossing during the game was absolutely superb..pity no one was attacking them most of the time...

From what i seen today and the rumour of another player or two on the way its impossible to guess the starting team this season..

Colm
22/02/2004, 7:58 PM
A good win today and we could have scored a few more if we'd taken our chances.
It was a good workout for the lads as Avondale were definately up for it.
It was so cold there today though that it made watching the game a difficult task!

I thought both Steve O'Flynn and Doyler (5 goals in 3 games now!) were absolutly outstanding. Dolan seemed very impressed with SOF as he called him into the stand when he was subbed and congratulated him on a good performance and told him to thank the supporters.
Fenn looked good but seemed to lack pace and tried to walk the ball into the net on a number of occasions. That said, I think he will prove to be an excellent signing for us.
Sweeny also looked ok and will be a good addition to our midfield.
Georgie was getting the sh!t kicked out of him by the Avondale players and this somewhat restricted his perfromance. However, he still did ok and managed to get a nice goal.
Nobody had a bad game today and, assuming Flynny won't be fit, that could well be the starting 11 on the first day of the season.

Gary
22/02/2004, 9:09 PM
Well S o F is suspended for the opener, so Id assume that place will go to Kearney.

Colm
22/02/2004, 9:15 PM
Originally posted by Gary
Well S o F is suspended for the opener, so Id assume that place will go to Kearney.

Oh yeah, I forgot all about that. Yeah, in that case Kearney will probably start on the left.

A face
22/02/2004, 10:21 PM
I have rung them about 10 times since I won the jersey and keep getting the same crap excuse and them not having the jerseys yet. Its been 3 or 4 months. Why give away prizes that you dont have?

XR ... you say your getting the same crap excuse ... maybe thats all they have. To be honest ... i dont think they have a box of shirts and they are hiding them under the desk or anything. They probably really dont have any and they (like yourself) also have to wait for them to be delivered.

Which jersey did you win ? Either way ... the old ones were out of stock and Le Coq ... well you know the trouble city had with them, hence the change.

And O'Neill .... what does the club shop have, about the same as RED FM (as far as i know) .... might be just a case of, wait till the start of the season when everything is back up and running and you'll get it no questions asked.

My point in one sentence = They dont have them to give right now, so no matter what you do, you wont get it from them because they are in the same boat as you.

razor
23/02/2004, 9:25 AM
Just to get this thread back on track before it turns into a RedFM bitching session.

City played well, Fenn was outstanding the way he made space in front of the Avondale back four, he caused all sorts of problems.

Doyler buried the first one from about 5 yards in a kind of goalmouth scramble.

Fenn made the next 2, an easy header for an unmarked Stephen O'Flynn and laid off a lovely ball for George to finish low in the corner from the edge of the box.

It was comfortable, Avondale were up for it but didn't provide a great test at the same time.
The boy Spratt up front look very lively and caused Dan and Benno a few problems when he ran at them.

George is still 1st ever for the set pieces but still can't hit the target.
And it was bloody freezing.

b_mcsweeney
23/02/2004, 9:59 AM
i thought fenn looked pretty good yesterday, though looked reluctant to shoot at times (he did make two of the goals). doyle was as good as he usually is. i didn't think SOF played that well first half, but did better after the break and got a good goal. sweeney played well in parts, but didn't look like the finished article just yet. i thought benno did well at the back, while hoggy increasingly looks and plays like steve carr!

avondale played well enough without really threatening too much. the lad spratt up front looked very good on the ball but he didn't get much support and the city midfield had it their own way for most of the game. i thought the sending off was a bit harsh.

NorthoftheLee
23/02/2004, 11:16 AM
thought it was a solid professional performance by City for this stage of preseason......

fenn & doyle looked good upfront,
soffy played well on the left.....thought sweeny was solid....georgie had a quiet enough game but there's def potential for him in that position...colin t was his consistent self...
hoggie played well, thought benno could have done better at times, dan was solid, woods should have done better at times too...and devine was solid too.........

as for spratt, I think City have some tie with him, trained a bit last season....think he would be well suited to midfield...he is as strong as an ox.....powerful forward too tho....just dont think he'll be breaking into the first team with joffy, fenn. georgie, doyle and soffy all ahead of him....

oh ya twas fubbin freezin out there yesterday...:eek:

SSS
23/02/2004, 6:49 PM
No its definately 2pm

Of course it was:D
As I said, confusion reigns again.

As for the game itself, I agree with posts about needing a natural leftback. As good as Woods was last season, he is not tuned in to all the defensive duties required of a fullback and it cost us a few goals.

Regarding Colin T, he played well in the centre last year, but too often yesterday his final ball was poor. Definitely one to drop if Johnny comes back, not because he's a bad player but because we have better (Doyle)

Hoggie looks better every game - and that's saying something coz he was already pretty good. He's been getting forward more in pre-season, but that may disappear when we play good opposition.

Any news on Carey? He was at the Bandon game but I didn't see him yesterday.

RedX
23/02/2004, 7:07 PM
Alan Carey was in the corner of the stand yesterday with some friends far away from City players or officials.I thought this guy was suupposed to have signed a new contract?If so why is he not sitting with players during games?If he was injured he still should be with the panel...