PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Last Night

fergalr
19/02/2004, 1:06 PM
Brazil:
Were definitely in 2nd gear and largely went through the motions. The very odd flash of brilliance - notably from BFR - just enough to keep the kids happy.

Ireland:
Everything has to be tempered by the nature of the game. However, better than could be hoped for performances from Killa, Kav, O'Brien and most surprisingly, Carr. Any of these (or Shay) could have validly won MoM. Real shame that neither striker had the composure to score when their chances arose. Its also clear that they have little understanding of each other.

The Crowd:
As has been noted - pretty quiet (as usual). If the FAI wants a better atmosphere then its not drums or a better PA - its getting tickets into the hands of genuine supporters.

What we can take from last night:
Are we now world beaters for having drawn with the world champions - nonsense!
Are we going to do better in the WC qualifiers than we did for Euro04 - way too early to tell.
Is Brian Kerr the saviour of Irish football - jury still having their lunch
What do we want - a proper stadium for occasions like last night
When do we want it - now.

tiktok
19/02/2004, 1:44 PM
Brazil:
Agree they were in second gear.

Ireland:
Given, Carr, Cunningham, O'Brien, Kilbane, Kav (my MotM), Reid, Morrison and Keane all played very well.
Definite lack of a final ball, missed Duff.
O'Shea didn't link well with wingers and never pushed on enough.
Tactically, Kerr got it fairly right with an unusual line-up.

The crowd:
Poor (although the South seemed OK at times), but i was there so i'm part of the apathy. We need drims and new chants.

Kerr:
claimed he'd experiment, told us not to expect too much. 0-0 at HT and he saw the scalp and the ego grew. Dunne and DeLap should have been given a run.

Declan_Michael
19/02/2004, 2:12 PM
Considering most of the ground is terraced and the world champions were playing the atmosphere was a joke.

Slash/ED
19/02/2004, 2:18 PM
The North terrace was awful, nearly as bad as the Canada match. To be expected really when a load of people only showed up for Brazil probably on their first trip to Lansedown. Kept hearing around me "I hope Carlos gets one of his trade mark free kicks!" and was left wondering what team half of them were supporting.

only1kilbane
19/02/2004, 2:25 PM
the fact that people were clapping when ronaldo curled his shot wide in the first half is point enough and to add to this people doing the oles anytime our players passed the ball makes out that we should not be in the same company. I think some people there were looking for brazil to score would give them something to moan about !

ger121
19/02/2004, 2:54 PM
You know the average blow-in Irish supporter reminds me of Eamonn Dunphy, Loves Man-U and Keano, hates and knows nothing about domestic football. Loves to criticise Ireland at the slightest opportunity. Doesn't have any dress sense( well Dunphy doesn't have a dress sense.):D

London Irish
22/02/2004, 6:33 PM
……..shame really because all of the ingredients were all there. Was okay in the East Upper but the old place should have been rocking like (say) the Dutch game or the end of the Albanian game …

……..The FAI have tried and don’t know what it is really as away games are still great in that regards. New Songs, maybe the two open end terraces don’t help the acoustics, a drum…..Going back on the DART some were saying that football games need to be more of the ‘event’ that rugby games are when you see fans literally all over the city in colours and huge anticipation..

Beavis
22/02/2004, 9:54 PM
Atmosphere at Saturday afternoon games is normally much better probably becuase people have more time to for the pub.Solution:serve booze at the ground.