PDA

View Full Version : The Next Big Test - Czech Republic

Peadar
19/02/2004, 1:02 PM
Tomáš Rosický's 88th-minute equaliser extended the Czech Republic's unbeaten run to 20 games after drawing with Italy 2-2 last night. They'll come to Dublin next month looking to maintain that run and I'll bet any colour of money we wont have the critics claiming they played within themselves. It's going to be a bigger challenge than Brazil in my humble opinion but that's what we crave. €20 to see such a quality side in Dublin is money well spent. If we play as we did last night but with Duff back to full fitness, it will be a game to remember.
Bring it on!

Éanna
19/02/2004, 1:15 PM
yeah, I can see there being a small crowd for this one, as the bar stoolers don't know any of the players, but they are a quality side- rosicky and nedved are two of the best midfielders in europe. can't wait to see them

Peadar
19/02/2004, 1:37 PM
Originally posted by Éanna
the bar stoolers don't know any of the players

I suppose Liverpool fans will know Milan Baroš and Vladimír Šmicer. I also get the feeling that everyone will know Petr Cech by the end of the summer. He's destined for great things despite the fact he's chosen to play for Chelski.

tiktok
19/02/2004, 1:49 PM
a quality side, with some great players.
will be a sterner test than last night, but probably will tell us more about where we stand and where we need to improve.

Slash/ED
19/02/2004, 2:20 PM
You're all forgetting a man with a perfectly valid claim to being the best player in europe right now, Nedved. Now that will be a test for the defence.

If Duff is back, and maybe even a debut for Miller, we'll wait and see, with Delap getting a start this time it should be a cracking match.

Junior
19/02/2004, 2:56 PM
Originally posted by Slash/ED
You're all forgetting a man with a perfectly valid claim to being the best player in europe right now, Nedved. Now that will be a test for the defence.

If Duff is back, and maybe even a debut for Miller, we'll wait and see, with Delap getting a start this time it should be a cracking match.

Miller will have played zero first team football in the period between now and the Czech game, I'm not sure he should get a run if that is the case. Would like another look at Kavanagh in the middle and from what I have read over the last 12 months Delap deserves a decent run out as well.

Bowsy
19/02/2004, 3:38 PM
Can't wait for Czech game. Brazil was like the Circus coming to town(well when the circus was a big deal anyway), the Czech match always promised to be a better spectacle. Czechs saw off Holland fairly easily in qualifiers and Rosicky, Koller, Nedved and co will be a great test for our still experimental midfield. Kav has to be given another run. We need a leader in there and free kicks aside he looked like he could take that role last night. Kerr stated from outset he wasn't going to experiment with a lot of players against Brazil but we should see some changes. Would like to see Dunne, The Doc(at centre half), Delap, Kenny and McAteer get a chance. Liam Miller will only get a look in if he's back playing regularly for Celtic(Miracles do happen).

Junior
19/02/2004, 3:47 PM
Originally posted by Bowsy
Liam Miller will only get a look in if he's back playing regularly for Celtic(Miracles do happen).

I will run naked down O'Connell street if that happens!!

tiktok
19/02/2004, 5:22 PM
I think O'Brien has earned another shot to build a partnership with Cunningham, but I'd give Dunne a half (or maybe a game at Left back instead of O'Shea, though I'd prefer to see Finnan get a run there).

I'd Leave Kav where he is, Kilbane beside him and DeLap on the right, hopefully Duff back on the left. Morrison and Keane to stay as they are. Give Reid a half for DeLap

No harm in resting Given, he and we all know he's our number one, give Kenny a full game.

Miller will not be featuring.

Falconblade
19/02/2004, 5:55 PM
Can Delap play on the right any more than Matty Holland? Or Ray Parlour for that matter.

Slash/ED
19/02/2004, 6:07 PM
Delap HAS to play in the middle. His big problem has been being screwed around into different positions constantly, he's finally played two years straight at club level in one position, the very last thing he needs is to be messed around with at international level. On top of that, I think he'll establish himself as first choice in the middle so really needs to play there for our sake aswell.

eirebhoy
19/02/2004, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by tiktok
Ibut I'd give Dunne a half (or maybe a game at Left back instead of O'Shea...
Dunne at LB? :D

tricky_colour
20/02/2004, 2:11 AM
Originally posted by eirebhoy
Dunne at LB? :D

Well, if you are honest most defenders have two left feet,
after all, thats why they are defenders isn't it?:D

sylvo
21/02/2004, 1:11 AM
Nedved is as we all know the one of the best player's in the world' but I watched the Juve v Roma game the other week and Roma man marked him and as the game went on stopped the ball from getting to him hence stopping Juve's main creative man in midfield, I don't see why we can't @ least try the same tatic on him as what Roma did the other week.