PDA

View Full Version : Match Preview: Monaghan United -v- Sporting Fingal

Magicme
01/10/2009, 11:30 AM
Monaghan United v Sporting Fingal
Sporting Fingal who are still promotion contenders-being only three points adrift of the leaders are our visitors this weekend to Kingspan Century Park. The Dublin side are probably the best team Monaghan United encountered this season and although we played well against them, so far have failed to take any points off them.

Mick Cooke will hope to reverse this trend on Friday. Promotion is no longer attainable for Monaghan and its mainly pride in the jersey that is driving the United lads on at the moment and it is a quality they are producing in spades full, this was very evident last week at Jackman Park, having conceded three goals from uncharacteristic lapses in defending they never gave up until they got back on terms and in the end it was probably Limerick who were the happier to hear the full time whistle.

Monaghan United have been ravaged with injuries but fortunately most are on the recovery list. If United are to get a result against Sporting Fingal they could do well with seeing the return of players such as their influential captain Don Tierney. Unfortunately the yellow cards count has caught up on Brian Gartland, Paul Whelan and Barry Clancy, which will mean for another week Mick Cooke will have a depleted squad to pick from. Recently United have been playing a style of football that is attracting a good home support. Hopefully the supporters will turn out in strength as it could make the difference.

Kick off at Kingspan Century Park is at 8.p.m.

Injuries and Suspensions

Suspended : Brian Gartland, Paul Whelan, Barry Clancy

Injured : Sean Brennan,

Div 1 Limerick FC 3 3 Monaghan United
Div 1 Monaghan United 4 2 Mervue United
Div 1 UCD 3 0 Monaghan United
Cup St. Pats 1 0 Monaghan United
Div 1 Monaghan United 0 3 Shelbourne

Next 5 Fixtures

Tue Oct 6 Monaghan United v Finn Harps 8.p.m.
Fri Oct 10 Waterford United v Monaghan United 7.45.p.m.
Fri Oct 16 Monaghan United v Kildare County 8.p.m.
Sat Oct 24 Athlone Town v Monaghan United 8.p.m.
Fri Oct 30 Monaghan United v Wexford Youths 8.p.m.

Manager Quotes “ We had another good result last week against Limerick which secured a second draw this season at Jackman Park which I believe is no mean feat at this venue. We did it the hard way and Limerick must have felt confident at 2-0 up. However with the way our lads were playing I had every belief that the game was far from beyond us-as we gifted them the two scores. Getting the goal back before half time was crucial. Even conceding the goal after half time didn’t cause any panic and I was please for the travelling support when we got back on terms and indeed the fulltime whistle came too soon for us in the end.

Sporting Fingal will be a different matter who is determined to achieve promotion in just their second year in the league, they are only three points behind with plenty of games left, even if they don’t achieve it in the end they are an excellent team and a credit to everyone involved.

Having to mention in the past few weeks about our depleted team especially through injuries might sound like I am playing the sympathy card but unfortunately it is more of the same this week as Brian Gartland, Paul Whelan and Barry Clancy have accumulated too many yellow cards. But we have been going with the players available and one could not fault either their display or commitment.

It will be a tough ask to get a result against Fingal, they are only one of the few sides we have failed to take points against. However another good performance in front of a strong home vocal support could be the difference.
It looks like we are one step closer to loosing our young keeper Aaron Mc. Carey, I hope the medical etc. goes well for him and I join with everyone at Monaghan United wishing Aaron well with his future.”