PDA

View Full Version : An Utter Disgrace

IrelandUnited
18/02/2004, 11:20 PM
Brazil my arse! That was the most boring inept load of sh1te I've seen from ANY team anywhere this season. Of course anyone with a brain knew they would try this on. It is easy to see why the big powers in Europe won't play them. Who would want to waste his time?

Since they sold out to NIKE the Brazilians have been going around the world taking advantage of all the "samba" and "beautiful football" hype, taking the money from Asian federations (and the FAI) and then putting on the kind of inept, uninterested, incompetent show they put on tonight.

Absolutely disgraceful. At least the next two games will be against opposition vaguely interested in the match instead of just taking the money.

At least when Ronaldo dived he was showing an interest in scoring. Our lads did well but shouls have won consisering they were up against a bunch just here for a well paid kick about.

Kaka? Cakk more like it !!

DolansWaistcoat
19/02/2004, 6:40 AM
Thats a bit over the top I think.Alright Brazil weren't breaking their necks trying to score but the match was a friendly.We gained much more playing top class players than playing the likes of Canada.We played well last night and restricted Brazil to long shots and we must take credit for that.Brazil don't go into games trying not to score and take it easy,if they were playing a lesser side it could have been 3 or 4 nil.

Kavanagh did well last night but his crosses and free kicks were very poor.Robbie keane was outstanding except for fluffing a few clear chances he was man of the match by a mile.

Declan_Michael
19/02/2004, 7:12 AM
It was hard to learn anything last night. Brazil were in third gear throughout. Don't think anyone of our lads played badly. Crowd must have been gutted it ended goalless bet few people had money on 0-0.

ger121
19/02/2004, 7:28 AM
The crowd was a bit on the quiet side again. Very little singing and only got going after Irealand would have a chance. We badly need some new songs too. Come on you boys in green is starting to show its age.

Was watching the Northern Ireland highlights last night, they had a guy on a loudspeaker keeping the crowd going, from the way they were singing all through the match you'd swear it was they who were winning 4-1.

I think it's about time we brought the Drums back to Lansdowne or at least have someone playing the saxophone as they act as a rallying call for the fans to get going.

Overall one of Irelands better performances, if we can get that many players playing their A game come the qualifiers, we will definitively be in with a shout of qualifying for 2006.

liam88
19/02/2004, 7:45 AM
I deffinatley agree with the last post.
On the subject of Brazil not caring I can hardly agrre with you there. The knockout stages of the champions league are just about to begin and Brazil seriously pressurised some world class clubs into releasing some world class players such as Ronaldo for this match. If they didn't care why not just put on a young team and get them some practice as opposed to some of the top players from Arsenal, Real Madrid and Barcelona!?
I think they put us in a tough spot, if they won they won and anything else all the claims come up that they wern't working hard :rolleyes:
The club/country row is big enough as it is without them dragging out bigtime players for matches "they don't care about".

noby
19/02/2004, 8:36 AM
Originally posted by ger121
at least have someone playing the saxophone as they act as a rallying call for the fans to get going.

what, like 'careless whisper' or something.
better than those annoying trumpets anyway, eh?

IrelandUnited
19/02/2004, 9:33 AM
Originally posted by ger121
The crowd was a bit on the quiet side again. Very little singing and only got going after Irealand would have a chance. We badly need some new songs too. Come on you boys in green is starting to show its age.

Was watching the Northern Ireland highlights last night, they had a guy on a loudspeaker keeping the crowd going, from the way they were singing all through the match you'd swear it was they who were winning 4-1.

I think it's about time we brought the Drums back to Lansdowne or at least have someone playing the saxophone as they act as a rallying call for the fans to get going.

Overall one of Irelands better performances, if we can get that many players playing their A game come the qualifiers, we will definitively be in with a shout of qualifying for 2006.

Ger the crowd were quiet and the reason is it took about 10 minutes for them to realise the Samba Boys (trademark protected) were as interested in proceedings as I am in watching paint peel. Naturally the knowledgeable fans knew the crap they were sold and the people who had been taken in by the samba hype were thinking "what the fuk is this sh1te"

Whatever benefit the game will be for the lads is welcome but I do not think they'll be fooled into thinking last night was anything other than a charade. I hope Paraguay stuff the boring sh1te in their next game. I really do and hopefully we can have a WC without them and the interminable nonsense from commentators trying to tell us the ordinary europeanised players in yellow are some kind of magicians.

ger121
19/02/2004, 9:44 AM
To be fair it's not just the Brazil game that the atmosphere has been poor, it's most games over the last few years. Even Brian Kerr & Fran Rooney have mentioned it. Yes you are correct that what is happening on the pitch has a bearing on the crowd but we can't use that as an excuse all the time. A Lack of singing, noise and overall buzz in the ground is a disappointing thing to see. If the Boys from Brazil and a good Irish performance can't get the crowd going, then god help us!!!

the 12 th man
19/02/2004, 9:46 AM
Originally posted by IrelandUnited
Ger the crowd were quiet and the reason is it took about 10 minutes for them to realise the Samba Boys (trademark protected) were as interested in proceedings as I am in watching paint peel.

it was a bit like the harlem globetrotters on a bad day:D

ger121
19/02/2004, 9:52 AM
Originally posted by noby
what, like 'careless whisper' or something.
better than those annoying trumpets anyway, eh?

sax, trumpet, bugle, call it what you like its the same noise. I always love when the Dutch play them at their games. I'm sure you know the ones I speak of.

Time to bring back the bodhrans they were great in the early to mid nineties. Hell even bring back ole ole ole, better than "come on you boys in green"

only1kilbane
19/02/2004, 10:01 AM
I thought Brazil played well and did seem to give a toss unlike some earlier comments suggested. They fact that they kept there big game players on for the full game shows this when they could have picked up injuries like Gilberto !

Can people just not appreciate how well we played and the fact that without our most creative player we still managed to carve out decent chances.

People should take the positives of which there were many like andy o brien, graham kavanagh, kilbane to name a few.

Some people just love to moan.

Well done lads great performance hope we can keep it up !

tiktok
19/02/2004, 1:26 PM
it was very quiet at lansdowne, as was suggested we need new songs, people are bored with the old ones.

i thought Brazil were ok, I thought we did a good job of stifling them but i have to agree that they definitely were nowhere near top gear.

pete
19/02/2004, 2:39 PM
Was always gonna be hard to get worked up about last night game & make some noise. Didn't help that the eL section was spread throughout the North terrace.

Maybe Brazil would have tried a bit more if they player more 2nd string players.

Nice to see Brazil play the 3-0-7 formation in the 2nd half.

Can't understand how Clinton got MOTM :confused: , Kavanagh good but freekicks abismal.

Kilbane again had brilliant game especially in centre midfield. Don't think anyone could fault Kilbane on recent performances.

DolansWaistcoat
19/02/2004, 2:47 PM
Kilbane is playing well enough lately.

He tried his hit and chase move last night in the second half and he nearly pulled it off,he can teach the brazilians a thing or two..;) :D

cullenswood
19/02/2004, 3:10 PM
Crowd was quiet, it was like they were waiting for something to happen. It might be hard to get a full crowd going, for what was a stroll in the park for Brazil, but it has been crowd for even big games, like last years Russia game.

New songs are a must, we've only got two (boy's in green, and Ireland clap clap clap).

Holland was muck, wasn't making any runs down the right at all, himself and Carr were standing beside each other for most of the first half.
Kavanagh a good battler, but needs to improve his distribution. We need someone with a bit of guile in midfield, someone who can thread a few nice passes through to the forwards

IrelandUnited
19/02/2004, 6:21 PM
I tend to agree with Cullenswood here. I realise that Kavanagh, Kilbane and others played well and I give them due credit but let's be honest.

The Brazil midfield was porous and slow and we carved several chances we will not get against better/more interested players in future. Their defence was comprised of has beens (Cafu) and others who would no get within a asses roar of Highbury or Old Trafford like Lucio and Roque yet we still couldn't mark a goal. Seems lie we need more real creativity around the middle

Fair play to the like of Holland and Kavanagh. I admire ther workrate but journeymen will only get you so far and against the Swiss and french we really need someone who can pass the ball.

tiktok
19/02/2004, 8:06 PM
Originally posted by IrelandUnited
The Brazil midfield was porous and slow and we carved several chances we will not get against better/more interested players in future. Their defence was comprised of has beens (Cafu) and others who would no get within a asses roar of Highbury or Old Trafford like Lucio and Roque yet we still couldn't mark a goal.

it's not been 24 hours and the naysayers have hit their groove.

IU, I agree with you that we need more creativity in the final third and that Brazil weren't at the top of their game and more than likely had another gear to go into, but come on.....

They're the world champions, all playing football at big clubs, some have gotten within an asses roar of OT and Highbury, Wenger and Fergie thought Gilberto and Kleberson respectively were worth buying, Fergie thought Ronaldhino was worth it too, and I'm sure Barca agree

Their defence may be shoving on, and Roque Junior is poor, but for the love of god, Cafu, Roberto Carlos and Lucio are world class defenders (with the medals to prove it).

The sad thing is, i get the impression from a lot of posts around today that if Brazil had beaten us by three or four, the same people whining now would have been fawning over that team and the privilege it was to see them play.

cullenswood
20/02/2004, 7:40 AM
I'm not naysaying here, but just pointing out the fact that we need a midfielder that that can thread a pass through. Ireland did do well and it was a good result against the World Champions, but we need to be able to do it in the games that matter, like against Russia and the Swiss. Neither of them can really be said to be world beaters, yet our preformances against them were muck.

I think we are just going to have to realise that we have to many average players playing above themselves in the team and that won't win us tough matches.

To re-iterate, I'm not knocking the team, and the vast majority ofthe time, they are doing their best and giving it all, but sometimes that's just not good enough (eg Kavanagh, worked his ass off and put it a great performance in tackling and the likes but his passing is just not up to it)

only1kilbane
20/02/2004, 8:20 AM
yeah but to me kavanaghs role in the center was to stop them playing and lay an easy ball off rather than delivering the perfect through ball . People seem to forget our most creative player was missing and with duffer on one wing and reid on the next thats where our creativity will come from. Let Kavanagh and Kilbane do the dogs work which keane and kinsella did in there heyday and duff and reid can supply the quality !

sylvo
20/02/2004, 10:13 AM
Still a lot of positive's to take from wednesday night, Given back on full form again, O'Brian and Cunningham as the game went on looked very comfortable, Kilbane i thought had a very solid game and i thought Carr had one of his best game's in a while. Clint getting man of the match mmmm but that was a cracking ball he sent over to Robbie and he should have done better when he broke free in the first half and blazed his shot wide. Brazil yes up front I did get the feeling that they could have stepped up a gear.
Nice to see the event junkie's were out in force for this one (as i expected) comment's that brought a smile and a growl were ''has the chelsea man come on yet'', ''it's a shame we never got to see Brazil score'' (that one nearly sent me doo lally) and also a five minute conversation while the game was going on by two guy's behind me about how some over hyped team that last beat us nearly twenty year's ago were playing Portugal and what would their starting line up be and what time they'ed be playing, it's no wonder lansdowne sometime's feel's like a morgue. :confused:

pete
20/02/2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by only1kilbane
yeah but to me kavanaghs role in the center was to stop them playing and lay an easy ball off rather than delivering the perfect through ball .

A midfielders role is to link defense with attack. Why are people so worked up about defensive & creative midfielder.

:rolleyes:

only1kilbane
20/02/2004, 12:12 PM
because thats his job ! players like him are there to break up the play and lay it off to lads like reid and duff who can do the fancy stuff or play the killer balls. It is something we were sorely missing in basel and i thought him and kilbane were a revelation for a new partnership playing against world class players !

Give the guy a chance the first game he has played in so long and he did not look out of his class.

IrelandUnited
20/02/2004, 7:55 PM
I certainly do not mean to naysay tiktok and I take a lot of what you say but I for one would not have been raving about Brazil even if the had won.

Their 1982 team - Cerezo, Socrates etc - was a lovely team but in the many years since then they have been no better than any other big side and no more skilful. I accept they have won 2 WCs but in 1994 it was on pennos after a bore draw and in 2002 they beat the worse germany ever. Since '82 only 1 team has really excited everyone. Argentina in '86 and then only because by far the greatest player in history was in his pomp and played spectacularly.

I'm not knocking the Irish lads who performed well everywhere except in front of goal where Keane was wasteful I'm simply pointing out the perhaps unwelcome truth that a draw against Lucio, Cafu and Roque at half pace is really just an ordinary result.

I'd be interested on Roy Keane's thoughts on it.

tiktok
20/02/2004, 8:49 PM
I take your point IU, I actually agree that they beat the worst German side ever last year (Also, at the moment I think the French and the dutch when they want to play are the two best sides in the world). Brazil have lost a lot of the Flair and the skill they had up to '82, but that's because they've gotten better tactically, which while it takes from the spectacle it doesn't really take from the result.

I agree with you to a point, but I'd definitely take more positives than negatives from the game.