PDA

View Full Version : The Title Decider Friday Oct 2nd

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Rovers Maniac
30/09/2009, 11:44 PM
I think it will be a very tight affair between two very closely matched teams, i think a draw will be the probable result, as neither will want to lose it. I think Fenlon probably is the sharper manager, who has seen it all before, i think too that Shams manager Michael O'Neil showed like he was feeling the pressure a bit recently in the paper and on tv, you know you're in trouble when you praise the ref as much as praising your own players after a game. Anyway i hope it's a good match and the best team wins and just for once no dodgy decisions by the ref, but i think maybe just maybe if there is to be a winner on the night, along side domestic football, it's more likely Bohs, but still going for a draw.

eelmonster
30/09/2009, 11:51 PM
I think it will be a very tight affair between two very closely matched teams, i think a draw will be the probable result, as neither will want to lose it. I think Fenlon probably is the sharper manager, who has seen it all before, i think too that Shams manager Michael O'Neil showed like he was feeling the pressure a bit recently in the paper and on tv, you know you're in trouble when you praise the ref as much as praising your own players after a game. Anyway i hope it's a good match and the best team wins and just for once no dodgy decisions by the ref, but i think maybe just maybe if there is to be a winner on the night, along side domestic football, it's more likely Bohs, but still going for a draw.

Rovers won, Sligo lost. Get over it ffs.

dong
30/09/2009, 11:53 PM

Up the Bohs!
I have no time for O'Neill after the comments he made after their win in the Showgrounds. Bohs play a much nicer brand of football as well.
Bit premature calling it the "Title Decider" Maniac. Still a lot of points to play for after that game.
Going for Bohs 2 Shams 0
Brennan and Ndo to get the goals.

dong
30/09/2009, 11:58 PM
In fairness to the Maniac, we have been bet up and down the country this season so we have plenty of practice getting over defeats!:)

Sheridan
01/10/2009, 12:06 AM
Brennan's suspended. Huge game for Shams and the FAI. Twigg penalty is a given, so Bohs will have to score at least twice. Don't think they'll do it.

Rovers Maniac
01/10/2009, 12:31 AM

Not having a go at all at Shams, far from it as dong says we have been beaten 15 times this season i have seen 14 of them i am will used to watching us get beaten :), although never nice when your football team loses.

Just give your opinion on the game on Friday if you have one, probably the biggest game the league has seen since Cork v Derry in 2005 and i am really looking forward to the match.

To be fair to Fenlon had all the pressure on him for a few weeks, after getting beat by us twice and Bray once while all the time Shams kept winning, i thought he kept his head fairly well and did think O'Neill was showing signs of distress of late without having any real cause to.

It will be interesting the number of TV viewers for this game compared to the Cork v Derry game from few years ago.

mypost
01/10/2009, 2:29 AM
think O'Neill was showing signs of distress of late without having any real cause to.

He doesn't have any cause to. He's 19 games unbeaten. Some distress. :rolleyes:

rerun
01/10/2009, 7:21 AM
Cost of Tallaght Stadium: €11.2m; Shams debt written off by Revenue: €1m+.; Cost of keeping Tallaght Hospital open: €12m. SRFC - The Community Club.

Dude, have to call you out on your sig.

Firstly, Tallaght Stadium is funded by SDCC, they have nothing to do with hospitals, their concern is providing services and facilities for the population in their local authority catchment area.
Shams debt written off by Revenue €1M+. So what, that's the way the cookie crumbles. You're not honestly suggesting that money that Rovers didn't have could have been used to fund a hospital are you? If we're down to funding hospitals from LOI tax bills, I think we should pack up and leave the country.
If you could keep Tallaght hospital open for only €12M you should be in charge of the HSE.

How are Dublin City doing these days?

Mr A
01/10/2009, 8:03 AM
Hope they both lose.

dong
01/10/2009, 8:39 AM

Firstly, Tallaght Stadium is funded by SDCC, they have nothing to do with hospitals, their concern is providing services and facilities for the population in their local authority catchment area.

How are Dublin City doing these days?

So in your view a hospital isn't a "service or facility for the population in their local authority catchment area"???!!!!
It may come under the portfolio of the HSE but it is a public, not a private hospital and is paid for by you and me (well maybe not you considering you live in the UK) through taxes we pay to the Government.
The rest of his sig is a bit ridiculous though, I must admit.

eelmonster
01/10/2009, 8:44 AM
Not having a go at all at Shams, far from it as dong says we have been beaten 15 times this season i have seen 14 of them i am will used to watching us get beaten :), although never nice when your football team loses.

Just give your opinion on the game on Friday if you have one, probably the biggest game the league has seen since Cork v Derry in 2005 and i am really looking forward to the match.

It will be interesting the number of TV viewers for this game compared to the Cork v Derry game from few years ago.

50% of your original post was a dig at Rovers. Sure it's a big game, but the result is really of little consequence to me; however, three seasons ago Rovers were in the First Division, they are now challenging for the league -- I'd like to see Dundalk follow a similar trajectory -- and they're the underdogs, take from that what you will. Unfortunately, I won't be tuning in for the biggest league game since 2005, I'll be at United Park :).

Rovers Maniac
01/10/2009, 10:07 AM
He doesn't have any cause to. He's 19 games unbeaten. Some distress. :rolleyes:

My profession currently resolves around Psychiatric assessments, which i carry out an indivduals for companies and organisations, so i think i know what i am speaking about. I agree with you mypost he has no reason to be, but one thing for sure the next few weeks will be interesting.

BohDiddley
01/10/2009, 10:18 AM
Brennan's suspended. Huge game for Shams and the FAI. Twigg penalty is a given, so Bohs will have to score at least twice. Don't think they'll do it.
Most of that is spot on. Brennan's return to form has been key in the Bohs revival. He's suspended and FAI are doing a job on Deegan too, their fiendish scheduling plot having come undone. Imagine the consternation of John Delaney and Monday Night Shamrock if Bohs pull it off in Tallaght.
Everyone hates Bohs. All are praying for a hoopish win. Refs are human. We'll get nothing. But we can still do it. :D

razor
01/10/2009, 10:52 AM
Everyone hates Bohs. All are praying for a hoopish win. Refs are human. We'll get nothing. But we can still do it. :DI'll shout for ye if you like, although I couldn't care less who wins.
Is it on the telly? If it is the Anders is a banker (with a b) to be reffing it.
And we all know he's the best this country has to offer, so in that case I don't know what are you worrying about?

Found this photo on the Daily Telegraph site and thought it quite apt.

dfx-
01/10/2009, 11:22 AM

In fairness the dote had to come up with something after his previous signature. Go easy on the poor thing :)

It's only a title decider if Bohs win. I think a lot of people particularly fans on either side are forgetting the usual TV big LOI game tendency for a 0-0 draw keeping the meagre one point status quo.

SMorgan
01/10/2009, 11:26 AM
Regardless of how people want to build-up the game, its most certainly not a title decider.

The losing club may well go on the win the league. Both clubs have too many difficult games between now and the end of the season to give Friday's important game the billing of Title Decider.

HulaHoop
01/10/2009, 1:11 PM
Friday's game is a title decider if Bohs win it. A Rovers win keeps it alive, a draw and Bohs are still heavy favourites. An interesting side show in all of this is the two clubs are polar opposites of each other of how things should be run. Last week we had Fenlon and Conway in the papers saying full time was the way forward and Bohs would would still have a full time squad next year. Today we have O'Neill and Roche in the paper stating the complete opposite

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/hoops-boss-rules-out--switch-to-fulltime-structure-1901093.html

Last week, Gypsies boss Pat Fenlon indicated that the money men at Dalymount Park have promised a budget which will maintain a full-time set-up next year.

However, Rovers will persist as they stand right now. At present, 30pc of their playing staff have jobs outside football, but O'Neill attributes that to the current economic climate rather than anything else.

The former Northern Ireland international -- a qualified financial advisor, who worked with Ernst & Young and started his own mortgage company in between the end of his playing career and entering management -- insists that his current employers have to be patient rather than making a jump too quickly.

"I don't believe it's sustainable (full- time) in this current climate," he says. "People will argue that essentially we are full-time. I can assure you we are not. We're going training at 5.30pm (last night) so we have to focus on the lads who are at work, to get them out early.

"At this moment in time, I'm not convinced the clubs can commit to full-time football in my view of what full-time football is, having experienced it in England and Scotland.

Analysis

"We have the players together essentially from about 5.0 to 7.30 every day. Full-time football for me would be having the players in at 9.30 and in until 3.30 or 4.0 on certain days. Now, we have very little time to do video analysis, all of those things you would do if you were in a full-time structure.

"I think the model we have here is the model which suits the league at this minute in time. Going full-time for a year and continually being under threat financially isn't really going full-time to be honest. It has to be done with a realistic five- to 10-year plan which you know is sustainable."

Rovers chairman Jonathan Roche is singing off the same hymn sheet. With their current operation, the Hoops have an annual turnover which he estimates to be in the region of €1.3m with a 10pc increase expected in 2010.

"I think it would have to be a long-term thing," he says of professionalism. "I think we'd be mad to jump into a full-time situation next year.

"We'd have to plan properly to make sure that the football club would get the full benefit of having a full-time squad and everything that comes from that. We'd be of the same mind that we build and we review the structure of the football club on an ongoing basis, so we can change that if circumstances change. But at the moment we're quite happy with where we're going."

So much for the people on here saying Rovers would spend like drunken sailors and end up in trouble again.

Mr A
01/10/2009, 1:17 PM
Very refreshing to hear comments like that from Rovers in fairness. Nice to see some level of realism in the league for once.

oriel
01/10/2009, 1:25 PM
No way is this a title decider, there are far too many games left for it to even be considered as much.

Biggest game of the year ? Most definitely. Personally speaking, I think it will end in a draw.

Looking at the last 2 games for each I would have said maybe Bohs have an easier run, as according to 11 a side.com, they have 2 games and Rovers only have one.

Poor Sligo have been asked to play twice on the same night, so maybe a chance for Bohs to get an extra 3 pts here :D

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/scoreboard/premier_fixtures.asp

Oct 30 Bohemians v Sligo Rovers
Oct 30 Cork City v Dundalk
Oct 30 Derry City v Bray Wanderers
Oct 30 Drogheda Utd v St Patricks Ath
Oct 31 Shamrock Rov v Galway Utd
Nov 06 Bray Wanderers v Bohemians
Nov 06 Dundalk v Derry City
Nov 06 Galway Utd v Cork City
Nov 06 Sligo Rovers v Drogheda Utd
Nov 06 St Patricks Ath v Sligo Rovers

Buile Shuibhne
01/10/2009, 2:31 PM
Shels to beat UCD by 1 goal

Schumi
01/10/2009, 3:29 PM
Shels to beat UCD by 1 goal

Damn it, I was about to make that joke. :mad: Opposite scoreline though.

CMcC
01/10/2009, 3:45 PM
Friday's game is a title decider if Bohs win it. A Rovers win keeps it alive, a draw and Bohs are still heavy favourites. An interesting side show in all of this is the two clubs are polar opposites of each other of how things should be run. Last week we had Fenlon and Conway in the papers saying full time was the way forward and Bohs would would still have a full time squad next year. Today we have O'Neill and Roche in the paper stating the complete opposite

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/hoops-boss-rules-out--switch-to-fulltime-structure-1901093.html

So much for the people on here saying Rovers would spend like drunken sailors and end up in trouble again.

O'Neill getting his excuses in early just in case.

BohsPartisan
01/10/2009, 4:25 PM
As people were saying, not the title decider but the biggest game of the season - of any season perhaps - for quite some time. The atmosphere is going to be electric, sparks should fly on the pitch and maybe - just maybe - we'll see some goals. All I'm going to predict is that I'll be quite merry on arrival and quite hoarse when I leave.

Dave_SRFC
01/10/2009, 7:39 PM
Up the Bohs!
I have no time for O'Neill after the comments he made after their win in the Showgrounds. Bohs play a much nicer brand of football as well.
Bit premature calling it the "Title Decider" Maniac. Still a lot of points to play for after that game.
Going for Bohs 2 Shams 0
Brennan and Ndo to get the goals.

Did we beat Shligo 4 times in the league this year?

Réiteoir
01/10/2009, 7:45 PM
Friday, October 2nd

League of Ireland Premier Division

Shamrock Rovers v Bohemians
Tallaght Stadium 7.45pm
Referee: A. Kelly
[Live on TG4]

mypost
01/10/2009, 7:56 PM

He's having his whinge because he didn;t say what he wanted him to say.

O'Neill gave an honest assessment of the game, not the usual claptrap that players and bosses come out with, about games these days.

Mourinho used to do the same, and got tonnes of abuse for it.

Rovers Maniac
01/10/2009, 8:02 PM
He's having his whinge because he didn;t say what he wanted him to say.

O'Neill gave an honest assessment of the game, not the usual claptrap that players and bosses come out with, about games these days.

Mourinho used to do the same, and got tonnes of abuse for it.

lol mypost you know i did not mean it, anyway i have just given my professional opinion on someone, i think i am more qualified at assessing someone mental health than you ! Ok so what's the story with the Dundalk and Shams fans love in on this site at the moment?

Acornvilla
01/10/2009, 8:05 PM
they are joining together in an effort to hate bohs a tiny bit more!

Mad Moose
01/10/2009, 8:22 PM
I believe I read somewhere before that there's a playback service/watch later service on TG4. Is this true? and if so does anyone know when it goes up and where on the site? Sorry lots of questions there.

I want to see this one and if I know I can watch it when I get home then I'll consider not checking scores while I'm out.

Anyhow thanks.

dong
01/10/2009, 8:38 PM
lol mypost you know i did not mean it, anyway i have just given my professional opinion on someone, i think i am more qualified at assessing someone mental health than you ! Ok so what's the story with the Dundalk and Shams fans love in on this site at the moment?
Rovers Maniac = Hannibal Lecter
We'd better watch what we say around here.:)

brianw82
01/10/2009, 9:27 PM
I don't think this game is a title decider by any stretch. There's still several games to go.

Since when did Bohs start playing attractive football? :? That's a new one....

northwestexile
02/10/2009, 5:17 AM
I believe I read somewhere before that there's a playback service/watch later service on TG4. Is this true? and if so does anyone know when it goes up and where on the site? Sorry lots of questions there.

I want to see this one and if I know I can watch it when I get home then I'll consider not checking scores while I'm out.

Anyhow thanks.

Click on TG4 BEO at the top of the website. A new screen will come up and if you click on Sport-Cartlann on the left hand side you should get a list of all the archived sport.
Think you can also watch it live. Watched the Galway Utd St Pats game last week and its pretty good quality.

Dalymountrower
02/10/2009, 7:53 AM
since when did bohs start playing attractive football? :? That's a new one....

sonofstan
02/10/2009, 8:08 AM

*applause*

seand
02/10/2009, 8:48 AM

been playing hoofball since 1891 though! ;)

Rovers Maniac
02/10/2009, 8:56 AM
been playing hoofball since 1891 though! ;)

God almighty Dundalk are the biggest advocates of kick and rush and physical football over the years (Or hoofball as you like to put it), i have been going to league of Ireland football. So i really don't think it's wise for any Dundalk fan to slag any fan of any other team about a lack of style on the pitch.

thischarmingman
02/10/2009, 9:13 AM
Fenlon keeps eye on ball- Bohs boss well aware of fierce threat posed by Rovers in season-defining clash
(http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/fenlon-keeps-eye-on-ball-1902351.html)

THE big story of this League of Ireland week is nothing to do with bouncing cheques, winding up orders or angry bus drivers. For once, it's all about the football.

Not just any ordinary game either, but arguably the most anticipated league encounter since Cork and Derry City's last-day showdown in 2005.

Nice to have events on the pitch as the main talking point for once. I reckon Rovers will take it 2-0.

Big Chief
02/10/2009, 10:35 AM
I would love to see a fast-paced, high scoring game packed with entertainment and incident but alas I fear this may well go the way of so many similar crunch games and become a dour struggle in which the players are gripped by a fear of losing and proceed to play percentage football which will leave the sell-out crowd and (hopefully) health television audience unsatisfied.

I think if Bohemians do win, as I have a sneaking feeling they will, then it will be the league as good as wrapped up. On the other hand if Shamrock Rovers picked up three points then it would still be game on.

I think the league generally would benefit more from Shamrock Rovers winning the trophy as they are drawing bigger crowds than Bohemians and generating much more interest in both the local and national media at present. It would be preferrable to see them keep that bandwagon rolling than have Bohemians, a club whose manager seems to be living in cloud-cuckoo land if he thinks they can sustain full-time football next year, lift the title and promptly enter financial meltdown.

Rovers Maniac
02/10/2009, 10:56 AM
I would love to see a fast-paced, high scoring game packed with entertainment and incident but alas I fear this may well go the way of so many similar crunch games and become a dour struggle in which the players are gripped by a fear of losing and proceed to play percentage football which will leave the sell-out crowd and (hopefully) health television audience unsatisfied.

I think if Bohemians do win, as I have a sneaking feeling they will, then it will be the league as good as wrapped up. On the other hand if Shamrock Rovers picked up three points then it would still be game on.

I think the league generally would benefit more from Shamrock Rovers winning the trophy as they are drawing bigger crowds than Bohemians and generating much more interest in both the local and national media at present. It would be preferrable to see them keep that bandwagon rolling than have Bohemians, a club whose manager seems to be living in cloud-cuckoo land if he thinks they can sustain full-time football next year, lift the title and promptly enter financial meltdown.

Fair play, great post.

Mr A
02/10/2009, 11:11 AM
I think the league generally would benefit more from Shamrock Rovers winning the trophy as they are drawing bigger crowds than Bohemians and generating much more interest in both the local and national media at present.

Agreed, except for this bit. If Rovers win the league then there's nowhere to go from there and it might just make keeping the crowds that bit more difficult. That not to say they wouldn't be able to do it, just that once you reach the top even a second place finish may seem like a bad year.

eamo1
02/10/2009, 11:14 AM
I remember a few years ago,maybe 8 or 9,Pats played Cork city in a crucial end of season game like this one is tonight.RTE had it on Live on a Saturday afternoon but it was a pi** poor God awfull excuse for a football match.Hopefully this wont be like that.
Its very annoying that this game is on tonight while ill be in Terryland.I'll miss the game like all other LOI fans at games throughout the league who would have otherwise watched it:mad:.

Rovers Maniac
02/10/2009, 11:17 AM
Agreed, except for this bit. If Rovers win the league then there's nowhere to go from there and it might just make keeping the crowds that bit more difficult. That not to say they wouldn't be able to do it, just that once you reach the top even a second place finish may seem like a bad year.

Ya very true Mr A, not sure if you remember Derry? But when you see the drop in the crowds they experienced within just a few years of be back in the league, i think it's near an impossible situation to hold crowds in the league of Ireland at more than a couple of thousand. Although there's always a first time and i think Shams will continue to do well in Tallaght for the near future.

Sam_Heggy
02/10/2009, 11:42 AM
Ya very true Mr A, not sure if you remember Derry?

Jeesh, that winding up order didn't take long, was I away that long? :eek:

thischarmingman
02/10/2009, 12:46 PM

Has never stopped people flocking to their pubs and sofas to see Liverpool-Burnley, Chelsea-Schalke or Celtic-Vienna...

Dalymountrower
02/10/2009, 12:53 PM

Gosh, you Harps fans really do fret about your hooped buddies.

Sam_Heggy
02/10/2009, 1:22 PM

Jealous much?

Mr A
02/10/2009, 1:29 PM

Hope they both lose.

:confused::)

Anyhoo, Pats have always been the Dublin team that annoyed me least.

PartySaint
02/10/2009, 1:59 PM
I remember a few years ago,maybe 8 or 9,Pats played Cork city in a crucial end of season game like this one is tonight.RTE had it on Live on a Saturday afternoon but it was a pi** poor God awfull excuse for a football match.Hopefully this wont be like that.
Its very annoying that this game is on tonight while ill be in Terryland.I'll miss the game like all other LOI fans at games throughout the league who would have otherwise watched it:mad:.

That was a great game, we won:D

baddebt
02/10/2009, 2:14 PM
So who going to win tonight ?
I reckon Sham's 1-0 Bohs

blue til i die
02/10/2009, 2:21 PM
i'll go with 2-2