PDA

View Full Version : Roy Dooney

pete
12/10/2001, 10:56 AM
I believe this will be going into all the programmes this weekend so I robbed this off JW's site. Hope the programme sales don't suffer Gerry ;)

---------------------------------------------------------

Next season’s League
The eircom League clubs are currently discussing the format for next season which will be our transition season before the move to full summer football. The season will be played between June 8th and December 29th 2002 – a total of thirty weekends to play in. The World Cup runs from Friday 31st May to Sunday 30th June - its matches will be broadcast in Ireland in the morning and early afternoon and hopefully Ireland will be participating. The Premier Division clubs (ten next season) will choose to play either 27 or 36 matches. When cup match weekends are included this means at least nine rounds of midweek matches if a 36 match cycle is chosen for the Premier Division. This is before any allowance is made for cup replays. In addition, four clubs will also be playing a minimum of two European matches each (hopefully more) in the June to August period.

In the First Division there could be either ten, eleven or twelve clubs in the transition season. The number of match options then would be 12 clubs – 22 or 33 ; 11 clubs –20 or 30 ; 10 clubs – 27 or 36.

If the season is to end with the final rounds of matches all taking place at the same time on December 29th there is at least a risk of bad weather disrupting this.

Next season’s Cup competitions
There will be an FAI Cup competition in the transition season. A number of options are being considered about when the final should be played including either the Sunday between the All-Ireland Hurling and Football finals in mid-September or the October Bank Holiday weekend. Fans views on this issue would be welcomed by your club and the League. It is under consideration by the FAI Domestic Committee that only eircom League clubs will contest the FAI cup in the transition year. There will be two FAI cup winners in the calendar year 2002. This will be necessary to ensure that we have an entrant for the UEFA Cup in 2002/2003 and 2003/2004.

It is unlikely that there will be a League Cup competition in the transition season.

Unlike recent years there will be no Super Cup at the start of the season. The Super Cup was a competition to give clubs competing in Europe some competitive matches but this will not be necessary with the League starting in early June.

European qualification schedule
League winner March 2002 goes into Champions League for July 2002
League runner-up in March 2002 goes into UEFA Cup for August 2002
League third place in March 2002 goes into Inter-Toto Cup for June 2002
Cup winner in April 2002 goes into UEFA Cup for August 2002

League winner December 2002 goes into Champions League for July 2003
League runner-up in December 2002 goes into UEFA Cup for August 2003
League third place in December 2002 goes into Inter-Toto Cup for June 2003
Cup winner in September /October 2002 goes into UEFA Cup for August 2003

League winner October 2003 goes into Champions League for July 2004
League runner-up in October 2003 goes into UEFA Cup for August 2004
League third place in October 2003 goes into Inter-Toto Cup for June 2004
Cup winner in September / October 2003 goes into UEFA Cup for August 2004

Days of matches and kick-off times
The League clubs are also discussing whether a single day or evening of the week should be designated as the main League football time and marketed accordingly. e.g. Friday night (or any other night) is League night. There are varying views on this subject. We are also discussing the best kick off times of evening matches. Several members of the print media have made strong representations to the League that the 7:45 pm kick off time be moved to at least 7:30 pm and preferably 7:00 pm to allow them to meet their deadlines and give greater potential for more coverage. Fans views on these subjects are very welcome.

First Division vacancy
The League will shortly be inviting selected clubs to consider applying for the current vacancy in the First Division. There is a general view that applicant clubs should come from outside Dublin. If a suitable club can be found it will be invited to apply for membership of the League in the 2002 season.

Under 21 League
The Under 21 League is now well under way. It has replaced the Reserve Division of the League. Clubs are allowed play a maximum of three over 21 players in each match. Twenty seven clubs are divided into four groups as follows:
Group 1 – South: Cobh Ramblers, Cork City, Limerick, Peake Villa, University of Limerick, Waterford
Group 2 – West/North West: Derry City, Finn Harps, Galway United, Mervue, NUI Galway, Salthill Devon, Sligo Rovers
Group 3 – Midlands/North East: Athlone Town, Drogheda United, Dundalk, Longford Town, Monaghan United, Mullingar Town
Group 4 – East: Bohemians, Bray Wanderers, Dublin City, Dublin University, St Patrick’s Athletic, Shamrock Rovers, Shelbourne, UCD

The Irish Sports Council is providing financial assistance to the Under 21 League to help with travel costs and coaching.

League annual
Production of the League annual is under way. We are working towards having the annual ready in mid November.

UEFA club licensing
The UEFA club licensing programme has been postponed by UEFA for one year for full implementation. It is intended that a pilot licensing scheme will run for Premier Division clubs in the 2002 transition season.

UEFA grants
UEFA has made a sum of a little over IR£200,000 available from its Solidarity Fund to compensate top division clubs in countries whose teams did not reach the group stage of the UEFA Champions League in the 2000-2001 season Nine clubs are eligible to apply for support provided they have youth development programmes.

Referees
There will be a meeting between club managers, secretaries and the Referees Committee on October 24th to discuss a range of issue relating to the refereeing of League matches.

Television
Negotiations with RTE are ongoing about more coverage for the eircom League. RTE will show the St Pats v Shelbourne game live on October 19th . The Soccer Show is back on Network Two on Friday nights and Saturday afternoons. It is also being broadcast on SKY Sports One at 5 pm on Fridays.

Pitches
The League has commissioned a report from an expert on ground maintenance on the implications of summer football for pitches. This will examine the cost, wear and irrigation issues for clubs.

Tell the media what you think
The media do a great job reporting on the League and they welcome feedback from fans. If you have strong views on any subject you should email or write to the journalist, paper, radio or TV station in question. Feedback to the media is an important channel through which fans can make their opinions known.

Contact
I welcome any comment or feedback from fans about the options for next seasons League, your club or the League in general. My email address is roy.dooney@fai.ie

Gerry Desmond
12/10/2001, 11:48 AM
Well, it was issued too late to make the Longford issue (it came out yesterday, we had wrapped Wednesday night) but we will be including it (as I have been requested) for the following home game, v Bray. By which time everybody will have forgotten the contents and be delighted to see a 'new' article anyway... :)

Gerry

Gerry Desmond
12/10/2001, 11:50 AM
I should say that as Roy Dooney has asked for feedback on the issues above that people should get back to him on them instead of just whinging about stuff. He has asked the fans for their opinions - fair play to him!

Gerry

pete
12/10/2001, 1:03 PM
I've seen replies to mails sent to him & it seems he does read & gives individual replies & not prepared press statements.

If he does nothing else he will have achieved something by communicating to the supporters & giving them a forum to suggest change.....

I think everone should mail him back on the issues he brough up there.

Éanna
13/10/2001, 11:53 PM
At long last we have what we've been screaming for for years- someone who listens. This is an opportunity not to be missed. If dooney has said he will listen, then he's got to be given plenty to listen to, god knows we've wanted someone to make us an offer like this for long enough!

pete
15/10/2001, 10:35 AM
Well he just got back to me......

highlights:

Told me "Your point about a hurling replay is valid" (about FAI Cup final date.
Took notice of my preferred ko time
And said "We're working hard on RTE for more highlights programmes. Noted your points about the Soccer Show."