PDA

View Full Version : My suggestion to get the punters in thread

wedwood
29/09/2009, 10:47 PM
A work colleague of mine suggested that the Government should be offering those who have lost their jobs tickets to sporting events, including LOI games.

He argued that by giving people such tickets to attend games would be a good way of getting unemployed people out of their houses and give them a positive outlet, rather than just drinking etc..

After I stopped laughing at such a ludicrous suggestion, I thought, maybe there might just be a good idea there.

Plus:
Good outlet for those who are jobless (and their families)
Good for the clubs (more people at the games)
Good for the League
Relatively low cost to the Government (perhaps bulk order discounts)

Minus:
None

gufcfan
30/09/2009, 3:31 AM
"Spend" is no longer in the government's vocabulary.

pixiehead
30/09/2009, 6:16 AM
A work colleague of mine suggested that the Government should be offering those who have lost their jobs tickets to sporting events, including LOI games.

He argued that by giving people such tickets to attend games would be a good way of getting unemployed people out of their houses and give them a positive outlet, rather than just drinking etc..

After I stopped laughing at such a ludicrous suggestion, I thought, maybe there might just be a good idea there.

Plus:
Good outlet for those who are jobless (and their families)
Good for the clubs (more people at the games)
Good for the League
Relatively low cost to the Government (perhaps bulk order discounts)

Minus:
None

I understand where your coming from but unemployed people already get far too much. In fact if your on the dole theyll even pay your TV liecence. we pay out the highest dole in europe already. A large portion of rock n rollers dont want to work so im not for giving them free tickets on top of that. Your intentions however are of the right sentiment :)

pixiehead
30/09/2009, 6:17 AM

Unless used with the verb "Bailout" :o

mypost
30/09/2009, 6:30 AM
I understand where your coming from but unemployed people already get far too much. In fact if your on the dole theyll even pay your TV liecence. we pay out the highest dole in europe already. A large portion of rock n rollers dont want to work so im not for giving them free tickets on top of that. :)

You in the public sector? :confused:

A minority of rock n rollers don't want to work. Most can't. If you're unemployed, you'll get €200 a week til January, and f all else.

Dillonman
30/09/2009, 7:52 AM

It is if your a member of the government....20k for a hairdoo here and 50k for a holiday there etc etc!

Murfinator
30/09/2009, 11:14 AM
Ha ha, I'm sure the opposition would have a field day is the government fobbed off the unemployed with some match tickets. :D

It's a silly idea, end of. And I don't think most people would attend a LoI match even if they were given free tickets.

neutrino
30/09/2009, 12:20 PM
i would think any club could do this themselves. every club knows they'll have unsold seats for alot of matches, so they could just issue tickets to unemployed people on a game-by-game basis themselves to fill the spaces. It could generate some good will and sure if the odd few people came back again in the future then great.

CarrickFan
30/09/2009, 1:02 PM
ha ha, i'm sure the opposition would have a field day is the government fobbed off the unemployed with some match tickets. :d

it's a silly idea, end of. And i don't think most people would attend a loi match even if they were given free tickets.

and he's off again................................

Scrufil
30/09/2009, 1:11 PM
Actually my next door neighbour came back a few weeks ago with a piece of paper from the post office with an FAI logo that he says gives him free entry into 4 League of Ireland matches . He is on full time disability. He got very disillusioned with Athlone Town over the years, mostly with the 'background swindling' so I doubt he will go to any of the matches.

I didn't read the piece of paper so I don't know what is on it exactly but it does sound like the idea moted above.

centre mid
30/09/2009, 1:12 PM
Better idea

Get them to do work around the grounds instead. Theres lots of work in the day to day running of club that would give some real experience.

peadar1987
30/09/2009, 1:16 PM
Better idea

Get them to do work around the grounds instead. Theres lots of work in the day to day running of club that would give some real experience.

There are loads of people on the dole who are now doing charity or community work, just because it goes against the grain for a normal person to sit at home all day every day doing nothing. This is a great idea, both for the clubs, and for the unemployed. Have you contacted Bray about looking into this?

Scrufil
30/09/2009, 2:40 PM
I think that volunteer work has increased a bit with people being out of work but this is the same point as saying why people didn't protest about wrongs in the country over the last few years. They were too busy working to protest.

Dixie Dean
30/09/2009, 2:58 PM
How about offering new punters a free lap dance , worked for the Ulster bank. :)

Scrufil
30/09/2009, 3:22 PM
Ah Dixie Dean fill us in on the dirty details!:p

Weatherman
30/09/2009, 3:48 PM
They would sell the free tickets to buy drink!! :P

Dixie Dean
30/09/2009, 6:57 PM
Ah Dixie Dean fill us in on the dirty details!:p

I think you missed the boat but here you go anyway :D

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/city-news/banks-strip-show-boob-1882298.html

Sam_Heggy
30/09/2009, 9:57 PM
Pre-match strip shows, half time monkey knife fights and a major riot afterwards (that one's to get TV3 to come along).
That's how you get a packed house. ;)

Acornvilla
30/09/2009, 10:00 PM
i;d go to see that!

Sam_Heggy
30/09/2009, 10:06 PM
i;d go to see that!

Judging by the teams you support, you will go and see anything :eek:

Longford, Chelsea, Leeds?, Wimbledon?, Yeovil? Ya blooming looney bin :p

Acornvilla
30/09/2009, 10:27 PM
nothing wrong with that lot!!:D i'm a man of aquired tastes:)

Leeside Swagger
01/10/2009, 11:54 AM
Giving free tickets would just serve to alienate certain sections of supporters. The volunteer idea however is a great one and should be suggested to clubs. FORAS were doing somthing simiar in Cork up until recently.

galwayhoop
01/10/2009, 11:59 AM
free beer should get people in

peadar1987
01/10/2009, 7:48 PM
How about something free with every ticket? Needn't be something too expensive, but just say you gave out a free Bray hat to everyone who attended the next game. It'd cost maybe 5 euro per person, if you sourced them from the right place. It'd get a few more people in the gate, without too much of a cost, and afterwards you'd have a few hundred walking advertisements in the town every cold day, as well as generating a rake of good will.