PDA

View Full Version : Stevan Jovetic of Montenegro

bitored
29/09/2009, 9:06 PM
Is this guy in the senior Montenegro team? Can't recall him from the first match. Anyway by the sounds of things he single-handedly made fools of Liverpool tonight. Some quotes from the BBC match report:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/8278645.stm

"Stevan Jovetic was Liverpool's tormentor as he scored twice in Fiorentina's surprise win over the Reds in their Champions League Group B tie.

Jovetic pierced Liverpool's offside trap and slotted past keeper Pepe Reina to put his side deservedly ahead.

He added a second when he diverted in a powerful Juan Vargas strike.

Fiorentina fielded 19-year-old Jovetic in attack because of striker Alberto Gilardino's absence through suspension and the teenager was relished the stage of his first Champions League start.

A bustling and energetic presence in the hole behind fellow forward Adrian Mutu, Montenegro international Jovetic was a major influence as the Italian side took the game to Liverpool after weighing up their rivals."

brianw82
29/09/2009, 9:10 PM
He played against us in the first game in Montenegro. Seems to be their great white hope.

youngirish
29/09/2009, 9:24 PM
Is this guy in the senior Montenegro team? Can't recall him from the home match. Anyway by the sounds of things he single-handedly made fools of Liverpool tonight. Some quotes from the BBC match report:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/8278645.stm

"Stevan Jovetic was Liverpool's tormentor as he scored twice in Fiorentina's surprise win over the Reds in their Champions League Group B tie.

Jovetic pierced Liverpool's offside trap and slotted past keeper Pepe Reina to put his side deservedly ahead.

He added a second when he diverted in a powerful Juan Vargas strike.

Fiorentina fielded 19-year-old Jovetic in attack because of striker Alberto Gilardino's absence through suspension and the teenager was relished the stage of his first Champions League start.

A bustling and energetic presence in the hole behind fellow forward Adrian Mutu, Montenegro international Jovetic was a major influence as the Italian side took the game to Liverpool after weighing up their rivals."
He's one of the most highly rated young players in Europe. He played against us and along with Vucinic could cause us major problems.

bitored
29/09/2009, 9:35 PM
Just saw the goals - absolute class - I wish we had a Jovetic:(

kennedmc
29/09/2009, 9:37 PM
He's one of the most highly rated young players in Europe. He played against us and along with Vucinic could cause us major problems.

yep - looked very good tonight against Liverpool and took his goals well (2nd may have been a tad fortunate).

Anyway we'll need our back four on top form against them. The thought of either McShane and / or Kilbane as fullbacks doesn't fill me with confidence

Colbert Report
29/09/2009, 9:44 PM
I watched the match, he was very good indeed. Apparently Alex Ferguson was in to buy him a few years ago. I was going to start a thread on him but I didn't know if I'd get in trouble seeing as some people here want to close a thread on Stephen Ireland!

Montenegro are going to cause us problems, make no mistake.

tricky_colour
29/09/2009, 10:30 PM
yep - looked very good tonight against Liverpool and took his goals well (2nd may have been a tad fortunate).

Anyway we'll need our back four on top form against them. The thought of either McShane and / or Kilbane as fullbacks doesn't fill me with confidence

First looked miles offside to me.

Colbert Report
29/09/2009, 10:37 PM
He was onside, there was another player that was miles offside but not interfering with play. Carragher was asleep at the wheel.

MeathDrog
29/09/2009, 11:06 PM
Richard Dunne should handle him.

Oh who am I kidding.

tricky_colour
29/09/2009, 11:53 PM
He was onside, there was another player that was miles offside but not interfering with play. Carragher was asleep at the wheel.

Yes I realise now, anyhow I found a video clip of him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEIGeArkKjs&feature=related

He's good but he's no Robbie Keane ;)

brianw82
29/09/2009, 11:57 PM
Richard Dunne should handle him.

You left out the word 'man' there. :D

Montenegrin
30/09/2009, 12:38 AM
He is great prospect,I know that for long time.He was capitan in FC Partizan since he was 17 years old and started playing for first team when he was 15.He played well for Fiorentina last year,but was little bit unlucky,so he did not scored many goals.
This year he exploaded.He already scored three goals in Serie A this season.These goals decided winners in these games,so he practicly brought three out of four wins for Fiorentina this season.
He scored against Sporting Lisboa in CL qualification round.It was,also,goal that decided who will proceed to CL.You know what he did tonight.
He is main man for Fiorentina for now on.Out of five games that Fiorentina won this year in Serie A and Champions league his goals decided in four http://forum.teretana.net/images/smiles/icon_beer.gif .

shakermaker1982
30/09/2009, 7:15 AM
Impressed me greatly last night. Always looking for the ball and his first goal was a lovely finish. Vucinic and Jovetic would be a threat to anybody not just our back 4!

Drumcondra 69er
30/09/2009, 9:07 AM
He was class last night. Have to say I was actually hoping the likes of Carragher or Skirtel would kick him hard enough to put him on the treatement table for a few weeks much to my shame!

geysir
30/09/2009, 9:17 AM
There is no shame in thinking like that.

Murfinator
30/09/2009, 9:27 AM
Top player, tormenting Liverpool is definitely a fair assessment of what he did to them last night. What impressed me was for a young lad how cool he was in front of goal, for the first one especially he took on Reina one on one and was cool in slotting home. Him and Vucinic are a very strong partnership on paper, thats for sure.

boovidge
30/09/2009, 10:03 AM
I watched the match, he was very good indeed. Apparently Alex Ferguson was in to buy him a few years ago. I was going to start a thread on him but I didn't know if I'd get in trouble seeing as some people here want to close a thread on Stephen Ireland!

Montenegro are going to cause us problems, make no mistake.

Jovetic is going to be involved in an Ireland game in the near future. Stephen Ireland isn't.

Montenegrin
30/09/2009, 12:54 PM
Top player, tormenting Liverpool is definitely a fair assessment of what he did to them last night. What impressed me was for a young lad how cool he was in front of goal, for the first one especially he took on Reina one on one and was cool in slotting home. Him and Vucinic are a very strong partnership on paper, thats for sure.

Thats why I thought that we can achieve something more in this group.It is not just Jovetic and Vucinic there are more class players like Vukcevic and Drincic who had injury problems throughout their careers and thats why they dont play in stronger teams.Basa is also very good player who was captain of Le Mans and had offers from top clubs,but went for more money to Lokomotiva Moscow.Rest of the team are solid players that all play in premier division clubs throughout Europe.
But,not only players make team.In my opinion coach is as important as players.Just look at England or Serbia.Same teams,different coaches and incomparable results.In last cyclus Serbia was losing against Kazakhstan and Armenia and now they top their group.Everything remaind the same,they only changed coach.
Against Bulgaria,we took early lead,we played great,had three more 100% chances in the first half and Bulgaria had none until stopage time when they equalised and what happened at the end?We ended up losing 4-1.WTF?In my opinion its only coaches fault when such fluctuations in quality of play happens during same match.
Thats why you should be hapy with Trapatoni.If we only had coach like him http://aba.troglav.net/images/smilies/icon_nonono.gif .

geysir
30/09/2009, 1:56 PM
Didn't he miss 2 games in the group due to an accumulation of bookings?

Were any of the bookings for diving?

seanfhear
30/09/2009, 4:02 PM
Pehaps Trap (and the players) deserve a lot of credit for keeping this guy quiet in the first game.

youngirish
30/09/2009, 4:05 PM
Pehaps Trap (and the players) deserve a lot of credit for keeping this guy quiet in the first game.
He's a much improved player since we played them over a year ago.

Stuttgart88
30/09/2009, 4:10 PM
No harm to have a reminder to treat these guys with respect.

Docboy
30/09/2009, 4:44 PM
In fairness he showed enough awareness & movement in the previous game to mark him out as one for the future. But he's playing with a far higher calibre of player at Fiorentina that he'll be with Montenegro so as long we keep our concentration we should be alright.

CSFShels
30/09/2009, 7:31 PM
Robbie Keane is of a much higher class.

Larks
01/10/2009, 12:01 PM
Do yee not remember him from the first game, he dominated us and looked way better than any player we had on the pitch, he's class.

geysir
01/10/2009, 12:12 PM
Hard to believe Jovetic is still a teenager. He definitely has a look about him that he will be playing with distinction at the top level for years.

Drumcondra 69er
01/10/2009, 2:01 PM
Do yee not remember him from the first game, he dominated us and looked way better than any player we had on the pitch, he's class.

Dominated us? I thought we were comfortable the first game and would've taken 3 points were it not for a blind ref and McGeady fluffing his lines.....

Very impressed by the player though, looks one for the future alright.

bennocelt
01/10/2009, 4:32 PM

Different game to what I saw, I thought Montenegro were really poor and honestly Ireland should have won that game

Razors left peg
01/10/2009, 7:33 PM

And I bet they are thinking that they wish they had a Robbie Keane

SuperDave
02/10/2009, 9:43 PM
The closer this gets, the more I want a Bulgarian failure in Cyprus which will almost certainly lead to a draw in our game against Italy. This boy scares me. He has the skill of andy reid and the workrate of steven ireland....

Carrigaline
03/10/2009, 3:05 PM
There's no need to raise the white flag just yet :rolleyes: Montenegro have Vucinic and Jovetic, we have Keane and Doyle.

Anyway, there's probably a thread about Keane on foot.mg after Keane scored 4 goals last weekend.