PDA

View Full Version : Citynet closed...

NorthoftheLee
18/02/2004, 8:14 AM
from citynet............has there been a bit of a bust up or what???

I have taken the decision to close Citynet with immediate effect. This is mainly due to the increasing cost of hosting and maintaining such a large website as, since February 1998, I have maintained Citynet purely on a voluntary basis.

The forum will remain open for the time being, you can access that here. My current hosting arrangement will expire shortly but I will look into the possibility of continuing with the forum.

I would like to thank you all for supporting the site over the past six years. The feedback I have received from all connected with Cork City FC including the fans has always been very positive and encouraging.

I especially want to thank the many people who contributed their suggestions for improvements to Citynet, and all of the posters on the forum for keeping things lively on the site.

John O'Callaghan
john@eirways.com

septern
18/02/2004, 8:20 AM
I can't believe it.........just logged on and a message came up saying the citynet is closed due to the increasing cost of hosting and maintaining such a large website.

Can the club not come to some arrangement with John and sort this out, seeing as he was basically providing them with a top quality site for free for so long ????

namloc
18/02/2004, 8:26 AM
This is a disaster. City must be the only club in the league without an official website, even the ramblers have one. And now to lose citynet is terrible. I think city are very light on the commercial/marketing front. We need an official city website or else pay john or someone to manage citynet.

GavinZac
18/02/2004, 8:29 AM
http://www.eirways.com/citynet/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2584

We need the club to either pay john to do it, or pay someone to continue with the website, buy it off john.

or some of the other ideas in this thread ^^

ccfc till i die
18/02/2004, 8:29 AM
And just after I saw someone rate citynet as the best LOI website on offer on the eircom league website.

namloc
18/02/2004, 8:41 AM
It would seem that the club are making some attempt to start up their own official website. Click on this link:

http://www.domainregistry.ie/cgi-bin/whois1.cgi?whois=corkcityfc.ie

and you'll see that Brian Lennox has registered corkcityfc.ie as a web address. Hopefully the club will actually use this now and not just let it hang there. it would also be great if citynet got back up and running too.

GavinZac
18/02/2004, 8:45 AM
good news, but it'll be sad to lose citynet all the same.

ccfc.ie is a fecking Christian Crusaders website

tiktok
18/02/2004, 8:58 AM
That's terrible news, even though it's going to sound like bias, i thought John's site was probably consistently the best EL site.

We had Bernie on a while back telling us to keep an eye on Citynet for club news, and the Lotto results were always posted there. judging by what John says in his comment, it looks like the cost is at the root of the problem.

I'd imagine he was carrying the burden of the cost himself even though the club were (to all intents and purposes) using it as their official website, and probably should have taken a little responsibility.

Terrible loss for the fans of the club.

I'd chip in to keep it going (seeing as the club won't), anyone have any idea how much it costs to maintain the site?

GavinZac
18/02/2004, 9:09 AM
Originally posted by tiktok

I'd chip in to keep it going (seeing as the club won't), anyone have any idea how much it costs to maintain the site?

http://www.tera-byte.com/

this is how much :(

thecorner
18/02/2004, 10:28 AM
its about time the club had its own official site

max power
18/02/2004, 10:35 AM
shock horror the worlds self proclaimed greatest city and club do not have a web site, even sligo have a web site for fcuks sake !!

tiktok
18/02/2004, 10:46 AM
Neither Dolan nor Lennox seem in favour of using the internet to the club's advantage, something I don't understand. Dolan in particular seems anti-web. Apparently Lennox has taken the corkcityfc.ie domain name, what'll come of that is anyone's guess.

But the club were more or less using citynet as their 'official' web based news source, and the site was far superior to any of the Official sites of EL clubs.

Originally posted by max power
shock horror the worlds self proclaimed greatest city and club do not have a web site, even sligo have a web site for fcuks sake !!

the city does, among them is Cork2005 (http://www.cork2005.ie/welcome/default.asp) when we'll be the European city of culture.:cool: ...and it's nothing to do with yoghurt, just for the longford boys . ;) :D

max power
18/02/2004, 10:48 AM
yeah i had a look at that site, very funny....culture & cork together ha ha, thats like mentioning sligo & sunshine in the same paragraph ( it rains everytime i go there )

razor
18/02/2004, 10:53 AM
( it rains everytime i go there )

And you're still not after getting the message !!!!
:confused:

NorthoftheLee
18/02/2004, 10:57 AM
just saw this on the gypos website.......something will have to be sorted.......

A Bloke in work sent me this. Official Website Reviews

Gar

Galway United: Very Impressive and well kept. 8/10

Shelbourne: Amatuerish. Look like it was designed by a six year old: 3/10.

Bohs: Well designed. Could probably be kept up to date better: 7/10

Drogheda: Makes Shels site look good. 2/10

Cork City: Excellent. Up to date and classy. 9/10

Kildare County: Not bad at all but a bit dull. 6/10

Finn Harps: Quite good. Lot of stuff out of date though. 6/10.

Athlone Town: Pleasantly Surprised but looks a bit tacky. 7/10.

St Pats: Very impressive and informative. 9/10

UCD: Minimal effort put into maintaining it. 4/10

Derry City: Good but needs a bit of work. 7/10

Dublin City: A lot of potential. Needs to be updated more. 6/10

Longford Town: Looks well but a bit dull. 6.5/10

Waterford United: Absolutely disgraceful for a premier division team. 1/10.

Dundalk: Very well kept and professional. A lot of potential. 8/10.

Bray: Very basic but does the job. 5/10

Cobh: Needs more effort to make a good job of it. 4/10.

Kilkenny City: Are the taking the ****? 1/10.

Monaghan United: Reflects their complete lack of desire to promote themselves. A website should be made part of UEFA licensing...-10/10.

Sligo: Not bad. Bit garish and the ads take a lot away from it even if good financially. 5/10.

Limerick: A poor reflection of the club. 3/10

Shamrock Rovers: Very informative. Fair play. 9/10.

max power
18/02/2004, 10:57 AM
i have to work down there every so often, example...one mornig left dublin in t shirt and shorts, lovely day..by the time i reached sligo it was pouring out of the heavens...on the way back i had the sun glasses on and the weather was lovely again...very strange place

namloc
18/02/2004, 11:20 AM
i'd imagine that there'll be an official website up and running soon enough seeing that lennox registered corkcityfc.ie. hopefully it'll be a decent effort. the club need to be better at keeping the fans up to date as to whats happening at the club! they are not very good at it at the moment imo

A face
18/02/2004, 11:50 AM
There could be a site up and running soon but for how long. Running a site costs money and it seems when the club feels the pinch, it is the first thing to get axed.

John ran Citynet of his own back, and we all saw it develop over time .... into one of the best sites in the eircom League.

I noticed recently that on some of the items, there were links back to related items from 4-5 years ago. This shows how well managed the site was, It was all archived. If a new site is started, they will not have the advantage of this.

The sad thing about this is that the club didn't realise all the possibilites for the site. The name a few items, to sell shirts online, To use the site for any press releases or news bites, where everything is acurate (unlike the Echo who made up the story that City were going to Portugal for pre seson training) It sshould be the first port of call for anything released from the club.

To be honest .... i think the club should have been rewarding John for his efforts a long time ago. And should have invested in it. The club (with Lennox at the regins) is only now getting into a position where running a site at a profit (not at a loss) is viable.

If John hung in there a bit longer, then the club couldn't help but have a look at John doing this for them, well it couldn't be any other way really. But what i am saying is that with another big push Citynet could have made money and not been an expense for the club.

I think that a new site now would be a step back, and would have to work hard to make up the ground and catch up with the standard Citynet was at.

We'll just have to wait and see !!

namloc
18/02/2004, 12:10 PM
The club should definitely act now to save citynet. They should take over the site and locate it at corkcityfc.ie which they now have registered. It would mean that the club wouldn't have to start from scratch with a new website, and all associated costs, as all material, news stories etc. would be available from citynet. This would be the sensible option IMO but what are the chances that city would do it???

A face
18/02/2004, 12:23 PM
Contact email addresses !!

cityedition@corkcityfc.net The Program

info@corkcityfc.ie The Club Shop/Office

Troy.McClure
18/02/2004, 12:33 PM
culture & cork together ha ha, thats like mentioning sligo & sunshine in the same paragraph ( it rains everytime i go there )

How about... 'the last time I went to Sligo there was no sunshine.'
That wasnt too hard now was it? :)

max power
18/02/2004, 12:36 PM
but to say it without feeling like a dirty liar ???

dahamsta
19/02/2004, 3:55 PM
Threads merged.

GavinZac
23/02/2004, 3:01 PM
sign the petition at this site then i'll do the annoyance with a big fat list of names :)

CCFC - The Shed End (http://www.ccfc.cjb.net)

by the way, i know the site is sh!te at the moment but its only 5 minutes old...

yur man
23/02/2004, 3:57 PM
i cant get it to display. anyone else have that trouble :confused:

works now. signed it

GavinZac
23/02/2004, 4:48 PM
Originally posted by xtreme rebel
I was able to click it open easy enough! i'd urge all to sign it. It doesn't have to be Citynet imo as john may not want to do it anymore but an offical website would do me!

i allowed for that possibility in the petition, but stressed that they must equal or better citynet.

i.e. not this piece of trash http://ccfc.cjb.net :D

GavinZac
24/02/2004, 5:50 PM
Lads , I am trying to get a new site up and running by the weekend. John if your reading this, could you send me on all your citynet profile pics of the players please if you can or send on other information i.e club history etc and things like that? Please.

Send them to corkcityfan1@hotmail.com or send me a PM

:D

just ask for citynet altogether ;)

A face
29/02/2004, 4:09 PM
45euro [/email]

www.simpleurl.com