PDA

View Full Version : The Greatest Hardmen of them all

OwlsFan
28/09/2009, 12:30 PM
Souness at No. 1 ??

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1118103/THE-LIST-10-1-footballs-greatest-hard-men.html

p.s. Spot the picture of our assistant manager in that famous goal celebration.

DeLorean
28/09/2009, 12:51 PM
Neil Ruddock and Julien Dicks can't have been far from that list.

Anybody around at the moment...Morgan (Sheff Utd) maybe. Vidic and to be fair John Terry is hard and brave although I'm sure people will disagree cos they don't like him. I don't either by the way. Carragher also.

rava
28/09/2009, 1:20 PM
I dont understand how a lot of players on this list can be considered "hard". The likes of chopper harris was just dirty whats so hard about that. Would the likes of lineker or Best not be considered harder for being able to take some of the assaults dished out by these "hard" men.

Macy
28/09/2009, 1:32 PM
The Shankill Skinhead doesn't make the 50, but the likes of Shearer and Savage do? Still, nice to see Remi Moses get on it.

Den Perry
28/09/2009, 2:41 PM
The Shankill Skinhead doesn't make the 50, but the likes of Shearer and Savage do? Still, nice to see Remi Moses get on it.

My Dad used to love Bremner. I don't rem Bremner playing but I've seen him on DVD / Video.

The way the rules are nowadays its very difficult for the "hard men" to survive because twpo mistimed tackles, even if they are not bad and you're off.

Didn't see Chris Kamara on the list....and he was hard(or should that be, filthy?)I also thought Mick McCarthy was as hard as nails. People go on about Bryan Robson being hard...brave yes. But if he was that hard he wouldn't have gotten so many injuries would he?

superfrank
28/09/2009, 3:20 PM
But if he was that hard he wouldn't have gotten so many injuries would he?
Huh?

He could have injured himself with a bad tackle a la Roy Keane vs. Haaland, the first time.

Infadel
28/09/2009, 5:17 PM
Surprised Andoni Goikoetxea isn't higher up the list but then again the list is obviously leaning towards British players

bennocelt
28/09/2009, 6:33 PM
Surprised Andoni Goikoetxea isn't higher up the list but then again the list is obviously leaning towards British players

damn just got there before me - yeah that list is silly - I mean Pearce as second (ha ha ha ha ha)

Goikoetxea has to be at least in the top 10

Didnt read the whole list but Rugerri was tough too

Dicks, Jones, Keane and Mccarthey were hard IMHO

Poor Student
28/09/2009, 6:59 PM
Paolo Montero anybody?

Noli
28/09/2009, 7:40 PM
Tommy Smith for me, Julien Dicks was utter garbage had no pace and couldnt take the kicking back that he received as for Ruddock his whole attitude to football was shocking

Blue Man
28/09/2009, 8:18 PM
Paulo Montero was one hard defender. The type who would kick his Granny for 0-0!!

old git
28/09/2009, 11:35 PM
damn just got there before me - yeah that list is silly - I mean Pearce as second (ha ha ha ha ha)

Goikoetxea has to be at least in the top 10

Didnt read the whole list but Rugerri was tough too

Dicks, Jones, Keane and Mccarthey were hard IMHO

yeah pearce second :confused: ?? he was only the second pyscho the original mark dennis southampton :D

gustavo
29/09/2009, 7:09 PM
Pablo Alfaro

Noelys Guitar
29/09/2009, 9:34 PM
Johnny Giles would be right near the top. Best said Giles was the one he feared the most of the Leeds 60's/70's side.

old git
29/09/2009, 10:48 PM
Johnny Giles would be right near the top. Best said Giles was the one he feared the most of the Leeds 60's/70's side.

giles was a bit diferent to most hardmen he could also play great football and then get stuck in when it was needed and also when it was not needed ..:ball:

Noelys Guitar
29/09/2009, 11:09 PM
giles was a bit diferent to most hardmen he could also play great football and then get stuck in when it was needed and also when it was not needed ..:ball:

Too true. I can remember a late 70's/early 80's radio interview with Jimmy Holmes. Holmes was talkng about the infamous 70's away match in Bulgaria (his horendous broken leg)and the pre match teamtalk from Giles came up. The Irish players worried about one particular Bulgarian player. Giles said "Don't worry about him. I'll sort it". And he did without anyone noticing. Giles was crafty in a dirty way. And was honest enough to admit it years later.

DeLorean
30/09/2009, 9:12 AM
Too true. I can remember a late 70's/early 80's radio interview with Jimmy Holmes. Holmes was talkng about the infamous 70's away match in Bulgaria (his horendous broken leg)and the pre match teamtalk from Giles came up. The Irish players worried about one particular Bulgarian player. Giles said "Don't worry about him. I'll sort it". And he did without anyone noticing. Giles was crafty in a dirty way. And was honest enough to admit it years later.

Kind of ironic how you can give praise somebody for being honest about being so dishonest:)

cheifo
30/09/2009, 9:48 AM
Gentile. Man marker supreme, hatchet man and Assasin.

Use to pretend to ref he was helping players to their feet after he sliced them but he was really squeeezing their nipples!!

old git
30/09/2009, 11:15 AM
Kind of ironic how you can give praise somebody for being honest about being so dishonest:)

was part of the game back then every team had a few hardmen to try and sort out opponents..:D fans / managers / players / refs all knew it and everybody was happy to accept it... it is one part of modern football i miss .. not saying we need a return to to 70/80's early ninties
but in current game it is nearly coming to a stage of non contact football.. giles / souness / gentille etc would have sorted out our current prima donna's - divers ronaldo / drogba / gerrard etc :ball:

Den Perry
30/09/2009, 1:12 PM
was part of the game back then every team had a few hardmen to try and sort out opponents..:D fans / managers / players / refs all knew it and everybody was happy to accept it... it is one part of modern football i miss .. not saying we need a return to to 70/80's early ninties
but in current game it is nearly coming to a stage of non contact football.. giles / souness / gentille etc would have sorted out our current prima donna's - divers ronaldo / drogba / gerrard etc :ball:

Yes, I think the game is become too "non-contact". Part of the allure of the game were the ongoing persoanl battles you'd get between players.The likes of Drogba etc ddrive me nuts

Btw, Basil Boli sorted out Stuart Pearce in Euro 92 and there wasn't much retribution taken by Mr Pearce