PDA

View Full Version : Wales drug appeal...

Slash/ED
17/02/2004, 7:07 PM
I see they're still going ahead with it, and aswell as that are confident they'll be playing in Euro 2004. Personally, I don't think they have a prayer of winning, but if they do, do we not have the same right to play in that tournament as them? Afterall, the same player played against us and if their results in the group were all nul and void we would have made the play offs. Surley if Wales win this appeal we're entitled to a play off against them to see who makes Euro 2004?

Just wondering, as I still don't think they have a chance, but if they do win surley it's something we should look at.

Jon'o
17/02/2004, 7:18 PM
Originally posted by Slash/ED
I see they're still going ahead with it, and aswell as that are confident they'll be playing in Euro 2004. Personally, I don't think they have a prayer of winning, but if they do, do we not have the same right to play in that tournament as them? Afterall, the same player played against us and if their results in the group were all nul and void we would have made the play offs. Surley if Wales win this appeal we're entitled to a play off against them to see who makes Euro 2004?

Just wondering, as I still don't think they have a chance, but if they do win surley it's something we should look at.

i made a sudgestion much the same as yours, got laughed off because wales are being tits. mind you if uefa or fifa have said no and they are still going a head they must be either very confident or just plain stupid.

i read somewhere else that one of the main reasons that wales's appeal was rejected in the first place was because uefa had already printed and sent tickets and had taken money from peoples accounts??

Slash/ED
17/02/2004, 7:27 PM
The other group teams wouldn't have a case because if Russias results were nul and void we'd of made the play offs (And would have been drawn to play Wales), the Swiss still would have won it. It means that ourselves and Wales have an equal claim to make the tournament, and would probably have a play off or something. Either way, I can't see Wales winning it like I said but it's something we should be looking at.

tiktok
17/02/2004, 9:07 PM
The guy failed the drug test after the first Welsh game, there's no evidence that he was on drugs when we (or anyone in the group) played them, in fact I can't even remember if the guy played against us.
I don't think we have any grounds for appeal. Nowe that FIFA have signed tup to the IOC drug testing standards (where medals are passed down the line should a winner test positive, then Wales might have a case).
Personally, I hope they lose the appeal though, they were poor in the play-offs and the guy had little effect on the result.

SÓC
18/02/2004, 9:17 AM
Originally posted by Conor74
'appalling vista'.

Lord Denning of Kerry?

Maybe we could just call you Lord:)

Wales appeal is a load of crap but most of them over here honestly believe they have a chance of playing in Euro2004. The friendly against Scotland is being built as an oppertunity for Mark Hughes to pick his squad for 2004 on some radio stations and BBC Wales!:rolleyes:

eoinh
18/02/2004, 9:24 AM
if the same logic was brought to the english premeirship wouldnt that mean Manchester United losing all their points for games that Rio Ferdinand played in :p :confused: :p

MikeW
18/02/2004, 12:01 PM
Their appeal has zero chance of being successful because of the "can of worms" theory someone mentioned above. Remember the Dutch players who tested positive for illegal drugs a few years back, none of their results were overturned, there's absolutely no precedent for changing results and to do so now would be an absolute nightmare.

What if a player tested positive after the European Championships? Entire groups would be nullified if results were to be overturned, especially if the players team did well. The entire competition would need to be replayed to provide a satisfactory outcome.

I could see the Russians taking UEFA to court if they were thrown out (and they'd have a very good case too) and throwing the entire tournament into chaos.

By the way, the only time Wales featured in a major tournament (WC in 1958) they also didn't qualify legitimately, they got in after a country was thrown out for political reasons (Syria or some other middle eastern country if I remember), and all second place teams were put in a hat, including Ireland, and Wales were lucky enough to be picked. Thats probably where their unfounded optimism is coming from this time.

fromthenorthffs
18/02/2004, 4:31 PM
We should be ready to go anyway, and offer to step in to fill the gap left by England when their unique version of patriotic fervour, (which involves beer (pint and a half), shorts and sandals, and patio furniture), gets them chucked out.

We could be out there before they stop blaming the small minority.