PDA

View Full Version : Geographical Referee Appointments

Pages : [1] 2

Iorfa2MaccaJim
27/09/2009, 1:46 PM
It's not a case of sour grapes here, and this isn't a rant either, because I'm sure it's happened all over the country. To give an example, during the week, in the run up to the E.A. Sports Cup Final, when the match officials were publicised, I saw them on a well known L.o.I. site. Now in my opinion, if I was the person choosing referee appointments, I would have looked at the game yesterday, and said, O.K :

(1) 1 team from Waterford

(2) 1 team from Dublin

Surely, it would be common sense to pick officials from Connacht or Ulster. By the way, yesterday's officials were :

REFEREE : Derek Tomney (Dublin)
Assistants : Dave Wogan (Dublin), M. Gavin (???????)
4th Official - Declan Hanney (Dublin).

That's 3 out of 4 of yesterdays officials were from Dublin. I just wonder if the shoe was on the other foot, would people complain.

BohDiddley
27/09/2009, 2:51 PM
It's not a case of sour grapes here, and this isn't a rant either, because I'm sure it's happened all over the country. To give an example, during the week, in the run up to the E.A. Sports Cup Final, when the match officials were publicised, I saw them on a well known L.o.I. site. Now in my opinion, if I was the person choosing referee appointments, I would have looked at the game yesterday, and said, O.K :

(1) 1 team from Waterford

(2) 1 team from Dublin

Surely, it would be common sense to pick officials from Connacht or Ulster. By the way, yesterday's officials were :

REFEREE : Derek Tomney (Dublin)
Assistants : Dave Wogan (Dublin), M. Gavin (???????)
4th Official - Declan Hanney (Dublin).

That's 3 out of 4 of yesterdays officials were from Dublin. I just wonder if the shoe was on the other foot, would people complain.
You mean if Bohs had lost?

Sheridan
27/09/2009, 3:13 PM
It's not a case of sour grapes here
Yes it is.

and this isn't a rant eitherYes it is.

That's 3 out of 4 of yesterdays officials were from Dublin. I just wonder if the shoe was on the other foot, would people complain.A Waterford referee would naturally favour Waterford because that's how the provincial mindset works. What rustics consistently fail to understand is that there's no equivalent attitude in Dublin (or in any quasi-civilised city.) Down the country, people would vote for a satanic alien paedophile if they knew his grandfather Benjy and he was active in the local Jay club. Dublin folk just don't think like that. They hate everyone equally.

blue til i die
27/09/2009, 3:32 PM
No point blaming the ref, as much as we want to. Bohs were miles better, simple as that.

Appointing a ref from the same place as the team allows people to have their conspiracy theories, including me :D

Possibly the first match where i actually wouldnt have minded one of the Kelly's :eek:

Keen2win
27/09/2009, 3:41 PM
Only losers blame the ref! Are you a loser? This was shouted at us during a half-time team talk! I kinda agree!

fbtn
27/09/2009, 3:45 PM
Yes it is.
Yes it is.
A Waterford referee would naturally favour Waterford because that's how the provincial mindset works. What rustics consistently fail to understand is that there's no equivalent attitude in Dublin (or in any quasi-civilised city.) Down the country, people would vote for a satanic alien paedophile if they knew his grandfather Benjy and he was active in the local Jay club. Dublin folk just don't think like that. They hate everyone equally.

You let yourself down.

srfc1928
27/09/2009, 4:31 PM
I dont buy into the whole Dublin refs shouldnt ref games involving Dublin teams, but certain refs if not all of them no matter where they come from do lean towards certain clubs. Its like they feel obliged to give the so called tradionally bigger club the benefit of the doubt. This has been going on for years, but maybe its highlighted more nowadays due to increased TV coverage.

blue til i die
27/09/2009, 4:41 PM
I dont buy into the whole Dublin refs shouldnt ref games involving Dublin teams.

We all know we dont have enough non-dublin refs to do that, its never gona happen

I havent a clue about Tomney, but is he considered a top premier division ref?

the-blue-harp
27/09/2009, 5:05 PM
i actually e mailed the F.A.I about the standard of refereeing and was making the same point about Dublin refs.

No reply.

the-blue-harp
27/09/2009, 5:08 PM
We all know we dont have enough non-dublin refs to do that, its never gona happen

I havent a clue about Tomney, but is he considered a top premier division ref?

why shouldn't it happen?? the Fai needs to recruit refs from around the country to make it fair.

Acornvilla
27/09/2009, 8:28 PM
well sure you lot start reff courses so!

sheao
27/09/2009, 8:42 PM
I have never seen Alan Kelly ref a game in the Cross,but whenever we play Dublin teams all the Refs are from Dublin. The FAI must try and get referees from other parts of the country.

A face
27/09/2009, 9:07 PM
A Waterford referee would naturally favour Waterford because that's how the provincial mindset works. What rustics consistently fail to understand is that there's no equivalent attitude in Dublin (or in any quasi-civilised city.) Down the country, people would vote for a satanic alien paedophile if they knew his grandfather Benjy and he was active in the local Jay club. Dublin folk just don't think like that. They hate everyone equally.

I dunno, i have heard countless Dubs disagreeing with you on that one. They even went out on a limb and would swear blind that such an attitude exists in the pale. Are you saying that they are liars?

razor
27/09/2009, 10:02 PM
Dublin folk just don't think like that. They hate everyone equally.We think the same down in Cork. We hate all jackeens equally, referees and opposition alike.

I have never seen Alan Kelly ref a game in the Cross,but whenever we play Dublin teams all the Refs are from Dublin.I have and to be honest i'd prefer some jackeen (with the exception of Richie Winter)

Acornvilla
27/09/2009, 10:03 PM
i Love everybody!:D

MeathDrog
27/09/2009, 10:05 PM
I have never seen Alan Kelly ref a game in the Cross,but whenever we play Dublin teams all the Refs are from Dublin. The FAI must try and get referees from other parts of the country.
It's all politics. If you are either from Cork or Dublin, you have a much better chance of becoming a LOI ref straight away. Not sure why...

sonofstan
27/09/2009, 10:52 PM
It's all politics. If you are either from Cork or Dublin, you have a much better chance of becoming a LOI ref straight away. Not sure why...

Eh.. between Greater Dublin and Co. Cork, you've accounted for close on half the population and therefore is it not likely that at least half the referees will originate from one or the other? it would be weird if they all came from Leitrim and Donegal..... Dublin and Cork, not so much.

MeathDrog
27/09/2009, 10:54 PM
Eh.. between Greater Dublin and Co. Cork, you've accounted for close on half the population and therefore is it not likely that at least half the referees will originate from one or the other? it would be weird if they all came from Leitrim and Donegal..... Dublin and Cork, not so much.
That's not the point. Say if the FAI have to recruit 2 referees from their school of excellence. They have a choice of 3, one is from Dublin, another from Cork, and the last one is from Mullingar. The 2 from Cork and Dublin will more or likely get picked.

rambler14
27/09/2009, 11:50 PM
Iorfa2MaccaJim in thread start shock.........it won't be deleted!

mediahack
28/09/2009, 9:42 AM
Whatever about where they come from, I thought Tomney was shocking on Saturday evening!

A waterford player was hacked down and he waved play on and Bohs get a a penalty from the resulting attack.

Conor Powell blatantly kicked Warren and the free was given against the Waterford player - I was at the game and saw it clearly but it was more blatant on the TV when I saw it yesterday and it was directly in front of the 4th official!

The standard of reffing is shocking in the LOI and from what I am hearing from the interim FAI League review that is the message coming out of the surveys as well!

They have referee assessors at every game and perhaps there should be a public system of grading refs - as in UK when a ref has a shocker he is stood down for a period of time and this is made public. There is no system here!

Brian Boru
28/09/2009, 9:57 AM
Rovers were robbed the other night by a ref who favoured the Hoops. Some of the refereeing is appalling in the League of Ireland. The ref in our Europa league home game against Vllaznia was class. A far cry from our refs wherever they may live in Ireland. The bigger clubs in Ireland get preferential treatment. Definitely.

Still. We're as big as any club left in the cup so that'll level the playing field for the remainder of that competition. The refs won't care who wins.

pineapple stu
28/09/2009, 9:58 AM
That's not the point. Say if the FAI have to recruit 2 referees from their school of excellence. They have a choice of 3, one is from Dublin, another from Cork, and the last one is from Mullingar. The 2 from Cork and Dublin will more or likely get picked.
Have you any proof of that, or are you just joining in with the "Let's make up a conspiracy" camp?

redobit
28/09/2009, 10:01 AM
Its not a 'geograph' thing, its a 'their all sh**e' thing.

razor
28/09/2009, 10:30 AM
as in UK when a ref has a shocker he is stood down for a period of time and this is made public. There is no system here!Do we have enough refs to do this?

mediahack
28/09/2009, 10:40 AM
Do we have enough refs to do this?

There has to be enough refs.....however since so many of our refs seem to have shockers perhaps then the answer is no! :D

What follows on from this then is that it doesn't matter what a ref does in a game he is back in the middle next week!

Mr A
28/09/2009, 10:44 AM
Have to laugh at some of the comments about Dublin people not being biased against other regions in the same post as incredibly disparaging sentiments about the regions!

Quality, quality stuff.

stann
28/09/2009, 3:54 PM
Have to laugh at some of the comments about Dublin people not being biased against other regions in the same post as incredibly disparaging sentiments about the regions!

Quality, quality stuff.

What's even funnier is that a post where Sheridan tries hamfistedly to put the "rustics" in their place is thanked by four of those self-same rustics.
Oh he can't possibly mean us!
Bejaysus!

thischarmingman
28/09/2009, 6:36 PM
What's even funnier is that a post where Sheridan tries hamfistedly to put the "rustics" in their place is thanked by four of those self-same rustics.
Oh he can't possibly mean us!
Bejaysus!

Meh, I thought it was quite a funny post and I tend to thank posts that make me smile :)

(Incidentally, I don't always agree with the man, but Sheridan's been on good form of late. ;))

Mental Man
28/09/2009, 8:19 PM
My cousin was sitting not too far from John Delaney at the EA cup final and he confronted him at the end of the game to voice his disgust and Delaney said that Tomney will be suspended from refereeing duites for the rest of the season.
Even Delaney was stunned at the decisions the other night!!

We will wait and see if he sticks to his words or not??

SkStu
28/09/2009, 8:25 PM
My cousin was sitting not too far from John Delaney at the EA cup final and he confronted him at the end of the game to voice his disgust and Delaney said that Tomney will be suspended from refereeing duites for the rest of the season.

idiotic if true (which i highly doubt) - was he speaking as a WUFC fan or as the head of football in Ireland?

Please.

brianw82
28/09/2009, 8:39 PM

Surely Delaney can't just make a snap decision like that?

Réiteoir
28/09/2009, 8:41 PM

idiotic if true (which i highly doubt) - was he speaking as a WUFC fan or as the head of football in Ireland?

Please.

The initial quote and the name of the poster reminded me somewhat of something the great Chris Morris (he of The Day Today and Brass Eye) once said:

Institutionalised cruelty is one thing, but the twisted brain-wrong of a one-off man-mental is quite another. Ted Maul disturbs.

I'm highly dubious that the initial exchange up there actually took place - much rather some bitter supporter of a losing team looking to stoke the fires of blame...

stann
28/09/2009, 9:00 PM
I'm highly dubious that the initial exchange up there actually took place - much rather some bitter supporter of a losing team looking to stoke the fires of blame...

Rein 'em back in there a little bit ref! It could also be that he's just telling us what he was told.
Delaney most certainly was engaged in some animated debate after the game, with more than one person. He was also deeply unhappy at what he had seen. That much I can verify myself.
However, there's no way in hell he told Mental Man's cousin that Tomney would be suspended, to the end of the season or otherwise. For one thing he simply cannot make that decision.
Probably he just said the performance would be looked at to see what action would be taken, and the story grew from there. Mental Man's cousin, on the other hand, may well have gotten the wrong end of the stick, or added legs to the tale.

MeathDrog
28/09/2009, 10:59 PM
Have you any proof of that, or are you just joining in with the "Let's make up a conspiracy" camp?
Nope, was told that by a LOI referee (who needless to say will remain nameless).

citybone
29/09/2009, 11:22 AM

I remember he reffed city vs drogheda in the setanta cuo 2006 i think and he sent off 2 drogheda players. but they were obvious sending off's.

Dunny
04/10/2009, 4:33 PM
Is Dave McKeon from Meath or Dublin?

brendy_éire
04/10/2009, 6:20 PM
Is Dave McKeon from Meath or Dublin?

From Meath, based in Dublin, I think.

dcfcsteve
04/10/2009, 9:48 PM
Why do some people believe that anyone born in Dublin has some sort of metropolitan solidarity thing going on......?!? :confused:

What if the 3 Dublin (?) refs at the League Cup final had been a Rovers, Pats and Shels fan ? What then - would they all automatically favour Bohs, just because they're from Dublin ? Or would they not be more likely to want anyone other than Bohs to do well - particularly the Rovers-supporting ref.

This idea that Dublin is one big happy den of footballing solidarity is just cuclhie nonesense.

Acornvilla
04/10/2009, 9:58 PM
hey it might be nonsence but its not culchie nonsence!!

razor
05/10/2009, 10:30 AM
This idea that Dublin is one big happy den of footballing solidarity is just cuclhie nonesense.I presume we're all still free to hate them all equally though.

dcfcsteve
05/10/2009, 5:44 PM
I presume we're all still free to hate them all equally though.

Hell yeah ! That's part and parcel of being a fan.... :)

Kildareman
05/10/2009, 7:20 PM

http://foot.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=47526&highlight=Enda+McGuill

Hands up whoses never been ridden rock solid at the cross..!!!! :)

razor
06/10/2009, 8:46 AM
Hands up whoses never been ridden rock solid at the cross..!!!! :)Anseo !! Happens almost every fortnight :D
Although I must commend the lad Doyle, best ref I have seen this season.

mediahack
09/10/2009, 9:17 AM

Obviously not as Derek Tomney is back reffing Sligo Galway tonight!

I did hear that an official decision has been taken by the FAI to ensure that no ref will take charge of a final if a team from his area is involved!

Given the proliferation of refs from the dublin area I guess the Kelly's will be reffing a lot of finals!!!!:)

Sheridan
09/10/2009, 9:23 AM
Didn't Clive Delaney play in a final in which his cousin ran the line a few years ago? :confused:

thischarmingman
09/10/2009, 11:39 AM
Didn't Clive Delaney play in a final in which his cousin ran the line a few years ago? :confused:

And escaped giraffe running along the side of a pitch during a match? I'm sure that would have been in the news. :rolleyes:

Schumi
09/10/2009, 11:46 AM

That was a UCD v Derry game I think. I think it was a league game though.

pineapple stu
09/10/2009, 12:07 PM
Also a Shels v Derry game. I think both times the cousin gave dubious offsides. Once to benefit Derry, once to screw them over.

seand
09/10/2009, 12:16 PM
2006 cup final, Derry v Pats. Typical anti-Dublin reffing bias!

Bluebeard
09/10/2009, 12:36 PM
I did hear that an official decision has been taken by the FAI to ensure that no ref will take charge of a final if a team from his area is involved!

This is nothing new. From experiential evidence, there must be rules saying that no referee may take charge of any League of Ireland game...