PDA

View Full Version : Dunne V Poonsawat

the 12 th man
26/09/2009, 9:24 PM
Not sure if there's a thread about this already but how do people think he'll get on?.I hope I'm wrong but I think the Thai fighter will win:(

Lionel Ritchie
26/09/2009, 9:53 PM
just realised they're both about 8 stone and 3 foot on a block and one apparently has "the smile of an altar boy" :eek:

Anyway ...shouldn't the dramatic intro tune be "Hi Hee Hi Ho It's off to work we go!!!"?

Dunny
26/09/2009, 10:11 PM
Lost it in the third..

old git
26/09/2009, 10:17 PM
Lost it in the third..

hammered in 3rd round all over the place always seems to get caught by boxers who have power or a punch :(

the 12 th man
26/09/2009, 10:22 PM
hammered in 3rd round all over the place always seems to get caught by boxers who have power or a punch :(

He was ahead after the first two rounds by staying away but got drawn into a brawl in the 3rd and paid for it.

MeathDrog
26/09/2009, 11:30 PM
Was stupid tactics from Dunne. Obviously the crowd buoyed him on too much and he left himself wide open. Unlucky though, great champion.

Was a bit unfair by RTE to shove a microphone in his face immediately after the fight I thought. He clearly wasn't thinking straight.

TheBoss
27/09/2009, 12:06 AM
This could be the end of him sad to say. He has a long long road to get back, the question is does he have the motivation to do this at 29, looks unlikely, I think.

DaveyCakes
27/09/2009, 12:04 PM
Was stupid tactics from Dunne. Obviously the crowd buoyed him on too much and he left himself wide open. Unlucky though, great champion.

Was a bit unfair by RTE to shove a microphone in his face immediately after the fight I thought. He clearly wasn't thinking straight.

Great champions don't get demolished in 3 rounds in their first defence.

old git
27/09/2009, 4:39 PM
Totally agree...he didn't make any successful defences...couldn't give him the "great" tag at all.

agree cant really label him a great champion unfortunatly :(

MeathDrog
27/09/2009, 11:36 PM
Aye maybe that should be great boxer. :)

Aberdonian Stu
28/09/2009, 9:01 AM
There's a good chance he's eyeing specific opponents.

KK77
28/09/2009, 9:26 AM

He'd have no problems talking to the microphone if he won and fair play he had no problems talking when he lost. Don't see why it was infair of RTE.

Aberdonian Stu
28/09/2009, 10:27 AM
Well I'd hardly have called the Cordoba performance a puncher's chance situation. That was actually quite the epic bout and swung back and forth in no small part due to the tactical adjustments made by both fighters.

Den Perry
28/09/2009, 10:54 AM
Well I'd hardly have called the Cordoba performance a puncher's chance situation. That was actually quite the epic bout and swung back and forth in no small part due to the tactical adjustments made by both fighters.

Its a pity they didn't let that little rund Davey Fitzgerald into the ring with Poonsaratfor a few minutes

shakermaker1982
28/09/2009, 11:43 AM
Dunne has always been chinny and you cannot put muscles on glass. He has won a world title and fair play to him. No such thing as a lucky punch in boxing. Pro boxers don't go round the ring with their eyes closed swinging.

osarusan
28/09/2009, 1:59 PM
You only need examine Dunne's knockout record over the course of his full career to see he has little or no previous form as regards knocking out his opponent.
15 of his 28 wins came inside the distance according to Wikipedia. He's somehow managing to luckily punch his opponents quite a lot.

Therefore, when he does it in his one and only World Title shot I think its fair to say it was a lucky punch.
I think it is wrong to say it was a lucky punch. Boxers study their opponents' weaknesses and throw punches accordingly. There is no evidence to suggest that Dunne did any different in the Cordoba fight, or in any fight. Dunne's two problems are a weak chin and a lack of power, not timing or technique.

Listen to or watch Teddy Atlas commentating on a fight for ESPN ( I think) and you will realise the minute detail with which weaknesses are analysed.

Leeside Swagger
28/09/2009, 3:50 PM
In fairness he got lucky against an out of sorts Cordoba, the Thai lad was way out of his league though.

Saying he's a true champion is ridiculous, he couldnt even stick to his gameplan for more than 2 rounds in his first defence, it was a tacticaly inept performance from Dunne, he still hasn't learned from the Kiko fight.

Going forward his ranking is still pretty high so he will get another shot if he wants it, fella's will be queuing up to fight him if they think he's a soft touch.

osarusan
28/09/2009, 4:50 PM
How many by knockout though?

But don't you see the contradiction in your point? He's not a heavy puncher, so if he is beating opponents inside the distance, it's not through power, but through repeated accurate and well-timed punches. That is and has always been Dunne's strength.

And when he does land another accurate, well timed punch in a world title bout, you put it down to luck rather than ability.

I don't need to listen to so called experts to form an opinion in relation to boxing, or any other sport. Its always telling when someone comes in with the "view of an expert" to attempt to make a point rather than make it themselves.
Teddy Atlas analyses boxing better than anybody else alive in my opinion. You may not need to listen to the "so-called experts" in order to form an opinion, but there is no doubt you will have a more informed opinion if you do listen to him.

paul_oshea
04/10/2009, 7:52 PM

this is what i thought, he got carried away, naivety he wears his heart on his sleeve, but he was reacting to the crowd, because obviouslly he thought that after winning hte first 2 rounds he was able take him. The thing is he isn't able take punches in close quarters, in that fight he was going hell for leather and he isn't a natural brawler as he isn't able take the punches, but he had a good few inches in height and arm reach and should never have got involved in that sorta fight. I couldn't even make out the slaps that knocked him viewing it first it just looked like he was falling over losing balance.

He could have won this fight if he listened to hawkins and stuck to the game plan, after 5 or 6 rounds poonsawat would have tired and started going in close and probably losing points with dunnes left jab.

apo11o
05/10/2009, 8:40 AM
They should have played poker, Dunne would have hammered him.

DeLorean
05/10/2009, 5:09 PM
Watching Dunne on the Late Late Show on Friday night and he must be the most humble boxer I've ever come across. He really is a credit to himself, his country and particularly Dublin which I don't get to say very often:D

paul_oshea
05/10/2009, 6:38 PM
haha i know what you mean DeLorean.

sligobhoy67
31/12/2009, 4:15 PM
Watching Dunne on the Late Late Show on Friday night and he must be the most humble boxer I've ever come across. He really is a credit to himself, his country and particularly Dublin which I don't get to say very often:D

its funny people were saying he was a cocky tw@t last year.

In truth he has always been a gentleman whenever I have encountered him.

Hope ye all enjoy this.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/other/2009/1231/dunneb_av.html