PDA

View Full Version : Would you take a point against Italy?

tetsujin1979
26/09/2009, 9:27 AM
Simple question, through some bargain with whatever deity of Evil you happen to worship, you find a way to guarantee the outcome of a draw VS Italy (without the pesky loss of your immortal soul).
Do you take the point, and almost certainly second spot and a play off, or leave it open to chance and the possibility of a loss, or a win?
Yay, or nay?

Mods, can we get a poll on this?

osarusan
26/09/2009, 9:36 AM
No. We can win it.

And even if we lost, I think we'd beat Montenegro anyway. What I haven't looked at is the overall "second place table" but I don't think we're in danger of being the one team that loses out on a playoff spot, are we?

stiffler
26/09/2009, 9:53 AM
Id rather take the gamble and go for the win than settling for a point before a balls even kicked.

Murfinator
26/09/2009, 11:29 AM
A point would be fine as an end result, while I'd rather we went out to win it and really have a last go at winning the group in the grand scheme of things a draw would be a decent result. The important thing is not to lose.

Colbert Report
26/09/2009, 3:09 PM
A point against the reigning world champions? I'd bite your hand off for it.

People on here think we are better than we are. We have been extremely lucky thus far in this campaign.

Arnold Layne
26/09/2009, 3:23 PM
If they go into the game looking for a draw they'll probably lose.

SuperDave
26/09/2009, 6:08 PM
Can I answer the question AFTER Bulgaria have played Cyprus? It finishes before we kick off and if the Bulgars fail to win, then Yes would be my answer as it would guarantee a playoff spot... if we get even one more point and finish second we will have more points than Norway in the second place table.

centre mid
26/09/2009, 6:10 PM
Honestly I wouldnt take a point, I think we can win although if Duff & McGeady are out then I'll have to edit.

holidaysong
27/09/2009, 1:50 AM
We should go all out for the win and even if we get whipped a win against Montenegro will get us into the playoffs.

If we go out with the mentality of getting a point from each of the two games to secure the playoff spot we probably won't get a thing from either of them.

Claret Murph
27/09/2009, 5:48 AM
Simple , win at all costs .................

northwestexile
27/09/2009, 5:55 AM
Is there a ranking system for the playoff draw or is it an open draw? i.e. the team with the most number of points seeded 1st and the team with the least amount of points seeded 8th.
I would take a point but I would like to see Ireland giving it a go, it's a home game and Italy are not great at the moment.

FarBeag
27/09/2009, 9:59 AM
I think we should go out and try and win our remaining two games. Who knows maybe Italy will slip up against Cyprus, stranger things have happened. It’s a safer option than waiting to see who we will get in the play offs.

Greenbod
27/09/2009, 11:34 AM
What's the point of playing football (or any other sport)..if you're not going to try to win?...........might as well say, if they awarded you the World cup now without playing another match would you take it?...........pointless!

weldoninhio
27/09/2009, 3:18 PM
Of course i'd take a point, and we'll be lucky to get that. Trappaponi won't go for a win though. He is more concerned with not losing, than trying to win a match which may get us to a WC but i have my doubts.

SuperDave
27/09/2009, 10:01 PM
This is not a debate, yet. Italy are almost certainly going to beat Cyprus and if Bulgaria fail v Cyprus away, then I would definitely, absolutely, nailed-on take a draw v Italy (it finishes before we start). Never underestimate the ability of any Irish team to fĂșck up. Remember how close the rugby team came to losing to Wales? I can envisage last minute Montnegrin penalties and the like, so yes, I would take a draw v Italy in the Cyprus getting something off Bulgaria situation. Otherwise I would say no, because it guarantees nothing and I'd like to go into the Montenegro game knowing qualification directly remains possible, but the sooner we seal a playoff spot the better. Also, if we can't beat Montenegro at home, I'd worry about our playoff hopes.

I hope I didn't contradict myself too much but I know what I want.... Bulgaria to fail in Cyprus.

Acornvilla
27/09/2009, 10:09 PM
Is there a ranking system for the playoff draw or is it an open draw? i.e. the team with the most number of points seeded 1st and the team with the least amount of points seeded 8th.
I would take a point but I would like to see Ireland giving it a go, it's a home game and Italy are not great at the moment. i think the four teams with the most points will be drawn against the four other teams so we could very likely get france or russia?

Colbert Report
28/09/2009, 3:46 AM
Supposedly, it will be an open draw, but I can't see France getting drawn against the likes of Croatia or Portugal.

danonion
28/09/2009, 4:23 AM
Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Let's go for the win, its unlikely but not outside the realm of possibility.

Forza Irlanda e viva il allenatore!

gspain
28/09/2009, 8:20 AM
i think the four teams with the most points will be drawn against the four other teams so we could very likely get france or russia?

No this will not be the case. FIFA had said it was an open draw however if they decide to seed it then it will be based on FIFA rankings. If Germany lose in Moscow it will definitely be seeded. I suspect it will anyway as they'll want France and Ronaldo in South Africa.

I would take a draw v Italy. I still hope we can win but see no chance of Italy not beating Cyprus at home.

DeLorean
28/09/2009, 12:26 PM
I don't think a decision could be made til after the Bulgaria Cyprus match really. If Bulgaria win, then we'd have to be content with a point. But if they slip up I'd feel very stupid having agreed a draw with the Italians, with nothing really to lose by trying to win the match. To be honest, I think the group is settled already though.

Tipp Townie
28/09/2009, 12:39 PM
I'm 100% convinced that regardless of the result of this match, Italy will win the group. From that point of view i'd take the draw; and i'm pretty certain that Trap, ever the pragmatist, will send the lads out v Italy with the principal gameplan being not to lose (probably a very obvious thing to say given that's Trap's default tactic anyway - not a criticism/moan, just an obsevation:p)

However there is alot to be said for the massive morale-boost that would be beating Italy. Yes they are the reigning World Champs, but more important is our failure since Holland '01 to record a notable competitive victory. A win at Croke would send us into the play-offs with real momentum.

I can't see it happening this time but here's hoping.

Junior
28/09/2009, 1:13 PM
However there is alot to be said for the massive morale-boost that would be beating Italy. Yes they are the reigning World Champs, but more important is our failure since Holland '01 to record a notable competitive victory. A win at Croke would send us into the play-offs with real momentum.

I can't see it happening this time but here's hoping.

Absolutely, we might not need a win to gain a play off spot but beating the Italians at home whilst having gained a point in the away game should leave the lads in no doubt that a two legged playoff against France or Croatia for example is nothing to be feared.

On the other hand a defeat at home after trying to hold on to a Nil - Nil result could leave the players thinking (what I think the majority of us feel - well its generally the vibe I am getting from here) we are not quite up to the task of qualifying.

gspain
28/09/2009, 1:39 PM
I don't think a decision could be made til after the Bulgaria Cyprus match really. If Bulgaria win, then we'd have to be content with a point. But if they slip up I'd feel very stupid having agreed a draw with the Italians, with nothing really to lose by trying to win the match. To be honest, I think the group is settled already though.

Even if Bulgaria slip up we will need at least 1 point from our last 2 games to get a playoff. If Bulgaria win both we need a minimum of 2 points.

SuperDave
28/09/2009, 1:51 PM

I disagree. If Bulgaria win, a point is almost useless, cos we'd still need another against Montenegro (although I appreciate if we lost to Italy we'd then need to beat Montenegro). If they slip up, a point then guarantees us a playoff spot and guarantees the Italians the group. With the absolute minimum chance of the Italians slipping up against Cyprus, a draw is a mutually favourable result between an Italian team and a team managed by an Italian. Machiavelli was an Italian too you know. Also, I direct you to Germany 1-0 Austria 1982 World Cup and Sweden 2-2 Denmark 2004 European Championships

tetsujin1979
28/09/2009, 2:09 PM
I disagree. If Bulgaria win, a point is almost useless, cos we'd still need another against Montenegro (although I appreciate if we lost to Italy we'd then need to beat Montenegro). If they slip up, a point then guarantees us a playoff spot and guarantees the Italians the group. With the absolute minimum chance of the Italians slipping up against Cyprus, a draw is a mutually favourable result between an Italian team and a team managed by an Italian. Machiavelli was an Italian too you know. Also, I direct you to Germany 1-0 Austria 1982 World Cup and Sweden 2-2 Denmark 2004 European Championships
ahem, World Cup 1990: Ireland 1 Holland 1

DeLorean
28/09/2009, 2:14 PM
Even if Bulgaria slip up we will need at least 1 point from our last 2 games to get a playoff. If Bulgaria win both we need a minimum of 2 points.

I know but I would be hugely surprised if we finished anywhere but 2nd. I just can't see the combination of results happening for it to turn out any other way. Firstly, I'd be a bit surprised if Bulgaria win in Cyprus. Secondly, I'd be surprised if we got less than 2 pts from our remaining 2 games. Thirdly, I'd be shocked if Cyprus got a result in Italy against a team needing to win to be sure of topping the group.

I disagree. If Bulgaria win, a point is almost useless, cos we'd still need another against Montenegro (although I appreciate if we lost to Italy we'd then need to beat Montenegro)

I think this is a bit of a contradiction. You're nearly making it out that needing a draw against Montenegro is the same thing as needing a win. I really don't think it is.

Tipp Townie
28/09/2009, 2:19 PM
Absolutely, we might not need a win to gain a play off spot but beating the Italians at home whilst having gained a point in the away game should leave the lads in no doubt that a two legged playoff against France or Croatia for example is nothing to be feared.

On the other hand a defeat at home after trying to hold on to a Nil - Nil result could leave the players thinking (what I think the majority of us feel - well its generally the vibe I am getting from here) we are not quite up to the task of qualifying.

I agree with what you've said, but i think the dip in morale that would follow a defeat, of any sort, means that 'not losing' will be the primary tactic - which is ever so slightly different to 'playing for a draw'. In Trap's world, anyway. And from that point of view re. the question of this thread - yep i'd take a draw right now.

I'd normally be a more positive person, but although i think Trap's doing a good job with us (objective - qualify by any means) i've seen nothing in our home matches under him to suggest that we can beat even a relatively weak Italy team at Croke.

Closed Account 2
28/09/2009, 3:25 PM
So long as we have a chance of winning the group I think we should go for the win. The reality is, if we were to somehow beat the Italians we would put a fair bit of pressure on them ahead of the last set of fixtures. If we can finish first and avoid some of those other runners up it would be great, as some of them are potentially harder to play than the Italians.

Wolfie
28/09/2009, 3:36 PM
I think we should have a go at the Italians - Play to win.

I'm obviously not advocating a Kamakaze style onslaught - but why not apply some pressure and ask some questions of them.

We don't have the system to play Blitzkrieg football - but the work is far from done in this group from our perspective and professional pride alone should dictate that we should compete with Italy and at least attempt to bring it to the last series of games.

I'd take nothing for granted yet in relation to either of our remaining games.

Tipp Townie
29/09/2009, 8:05 AM

Agree completely. I'd hate to think that anyone is expecting Montenegro to be a walkover, although there probably are some eejits out there..

However this is precisely the reason why i'd take a point v Italy right now.

irishfan86
29/09/2009, 8:12 AM
I completely agree. While we've put ourselves in a good position, I really hate the talk about how we're basically a shoe-in for the playoffs.

I hope we are, but the job isn't done yet.

Junior
29/09/2009, 8:33 AM

Agreed, and neither would I take anything for granted with Bulgaria and Italys other games. Its all to play for at this stage - A nice 1-0 win would be loverrrrrlllly!!

elroy
29/09/2009, 8:38 AM
I dont think the Bulgaria results are all that relevant to us really. We must get a point from our final two games to be guaranteed a playoff spot ie not finish worst second place, so that is the first and foremost. I think we can beat Italy particularly with Cannavaro missing but I'd probably take a draw now it would mean us going into the final game against Montenegro alot more relaxed, meaning that we would know we cant finish worst second place and secondly that a further point will guarantee second in our own group.

Junior
29/09/2009, 8:44 AM
I dont think the Bulgaria results are all that relevant to us really. We must get a point from our final two games to be guaranteed a playoff spot ie not finish worst second place, so that is the first and foremost. I think we can beat Italy particularly with Cannavaro missing but I'd probably take a draw now it would mean us going into the final game against Montenegro alot more relaxed, meaning that we would know we cant finish worst second place and secondly that a further point will guarantee second in our own group.

I disagree. We need two points to guarantee a playoff spot.

Obviously first and foremost if we look after our own results we will at least guarantee ourselves a playoff spot.

However, should we lose to Italy on the 10th (I pray it doesnt happen but it wouldnt be the shock of the century) and Bulgaria win, then it will be a very nervous night on weds 14th against Montenegro, where we HAVE to WIN just to guarantee a play off spot. Id rather that Bulgaria lost on Saturday 10th and were out of it full stop.

Stuttgart88
29/09/2009, 10:57 AM
yeah, I agree.

Leeside Swagger
29/09/2009, 11:20 AM
I think that Italy will be more than happy with a draw and will set themselves up for one from the off. So we may as well try and win it, a poxy 1-0 would do us nicely.Duff is a massive loss though, he's probably our most creative player.

Dun Laoire
29/09/2009, 1:14 PM
A point against the reigning world champions? I'd bite your hand off for it.

People on here think we are better than we are. We have been extremely lucky thus far in this campaign.

We should've beaten Italy on their own turf. Granted they had 10 men for most of the game but how often do we see teams that go a man down and can still dominate and win games. Maybe we showed too much respect. A draw is good but i think we can win and it's a must that we go out with that mentality that we can win. It will certainly make the final fixtures much more interesting and just a little more tense for the Italians

geysir
29/09/2009, 1:49 PM
Time to up the levels of paranoia.
Anyone remember how Bulgaria sneaked into WC1994 one point ahead of red hot favourites France who lost their last 2 games at home to late goals from Israel and Bulgaria.

Junior
29/09/2009, 1:53 PM
Time to up the levels of paranoia.
Anyone remember how Bulgaria sneaked into WC1994 one point ahead of red hot favourites France who lost their last 2 games at home to late goals from Israel and Bulgaria.

ah yes the Cantona and Ginola bust up followed....

tetsujin1979
29/09/2009, 2:10 PM
got Houllier the sack too....

geysir
29/09/2009, 2:21 PM
The odds would have KK at red hot fav to be our fall guy and complete a unique hat trick.

Stuttgart88
29/09/2009, 2:28 PM
Not getting second spot is very feasible in my opinion. Italy could easily beat us at home, no question. Montenegro are no mugs and we could have one of those nights.

I expect Bulgaria to get 6 more points, though I'll be praying Cyprus get something from them. Having the pressure off before we take the pitch against Italy would be amazing.

SuperDave
02/10/2009, 9:45 PM
Not getting second spot is very feasible in my opinion. Italy could easily beat us at home, no question. Montenegro are no mugs and we could have one of those nights.

I expect Bulgaria to get 6 more points, though I'll be praying Cyprus get something from them. Having the pressure off before we take the pitch against Italy would be amazing.

Good point. Any chance of rte actually showing that game? I suppose there isn't enough riding on it for rte to show it. Also, I bet the ratings for Italy Bulgaria dropped off pretty soon after the first Italian goal, never mind the second.

Morbo
03/10/2009, 10:47 AM
I'll be praying Cyprus get something from them. Having the pressure off before we take the pitch against Italy would be amazing.
Yeah that would be great but even if that happened wouldn't we still need a point to avoid finishing the bottom 2nd placed team?
Anyway I wouldn't settle for a point, I think we should really go for it like we did against them last time even if that also increases the chances of losing the game because if we can't beat Monty at home then we were never going to beat one of the top 4 seeded teams in a playoff anyway.