View Full Version : Dundalk FM article from www.extratime.ie

eL Bettor
26/09/2009, 8:33 AM
http://extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/2565/

Dundalk FM 100: An Appreciation
0 comments
by Alan Dooley
Sat, Sep 26 2009
Having decided not to make the cross-country trek to County Louth to see this evening's Premier Division mid-table tussle between Dundalk and Galway United, I comforted myself with the knowledge that the game was being broadcast live on Dundalk FM 100 and, five minutes before kick-off, I settled down for what turned out be a very entertaining night's listening.

The station, a community-based, not-for-profit business, has been broadcasting full-time since September 2004 and has gained a loyal following to its' live coverage of Dundalk's games, anchored by Larry O'Rourke with colour - high definition colour at that - commentary provided by John Murphy and Gerry Cunningham.

Let's cut straight to the chase. If you are looking to get an unbiased account of your side's game with Dundalk, these are not the boys to be listening to. They are passionate about the game, passionate about Dundalk FC, and tell it as they see it. Whether this means lambasting Sean Connor's side or singing their praises from the rooftops, this is no holds barred stuff. Just don't expect much analysis of your own team's performance if you're not a Lilywhite.

If you can get your head around this, though, the banter between the Larry and John (Gerry was marked absent tonight) is well worth a listen. They also showed their analytical acumen in their assessment of what needed to be done with the Dundalk side as Connor's troops marched to their seventh home win of the season.

Striker Ger Rowe was, however, the unlucky one tonight, getting under the lad's skin from early in the game, and they were far from happy with the striker's performance. The criticisms ranged in severity from:
"Rowe gets the ball and you'd think there was a hand grenade in it!!
"Ger Rowe is not awake. He's still in bed at home...
"He thinks he's down at the roundabout at the Carnival."
Rowe was eventually substituted near the end, a move which came "an hour or two too late" for Larry's liking. The relentless calls for Darren Mansaram's introduction paid off, though, as the sub capped the night with a well-taken third goal two minutes from time, to loud, jubilant cries of "yah boy ya" and "God bless him!" from former Dundalk captain Murphy.

Murphy starred for Dundalk in the 60's and his string of irreverent remarks had O'Rourke in stitches by the middle of the second half. Some of the gems that poured forth included:
"That wasn't pot luck - it was pot noodle.
"He could be in the dentist's chair in the morning.
"The way he's playing tonight he'd open a can of peas with his left foot (Michael McGowan).
"Williams would catch a train going away out the platform.
"He wouldn't run to warm himself.(Rowe)"

As the texts flowed in, one wondering had Murphy robbed the "pot noodle" comment from Sky Sports, the league winner strongly denied the inference and O'Rourke's claim that he had read a book of one-liners before the game, claiming that they all come naturally and that he was "sponsored by one of the Chinese places down the town."

Thoughts flow in a circuitous fashion during the broadcast, with topics ranging from relegation candidates to club finances along with everything in between - the important details of the ongoing match are relayed when needed. Text comments form an integral part of the broadcast and range from outlandish praise to slightly more mundane matters. "Plenty of soup" was called for when one listener's flu symptoms kept him from getting to Oriel, while the Whistling Barman was also offered hearty birthday congratulations.

Back to matters on the pitch and following a goalless first half, Tommy McConville was brought in to provide some half-time chat. Unfortunately, the blaring tannoy made him impossible to decipher and the only pearl of wisdom that registered came just as the teams trotted back out as Tommy declared that Dundalk "should push on and go for the three points".

They proved prophetic words as Dundalk upped the tempo from the off in the second half and Alex Williams scored early to put the lads in a decidedly better mood - bar the perceived inadequacies of Mr. Rowe. With Dundalk in a commanding position and Galway seemingly struggle to muster any attacks of note, thoughts turned to today's pampered players.

When the merit of retaining a current Dundalk squad member who has featured infrequently popped up via text, John referred to Winston Bogarde's time at Chelsea when he became a professional bench warmer and hardly played. "Nice money if you can get it", summed up Murphy's thoughts as he compared it to less prosperous times: "I used to get £4 when I was with Dundalk, and that was if we were having a good season."

Michael McGowan was on the end of praise for his good play throughout and after one rasping drive was repelled by Barry Ryan, Dundalk were encouraged by the lads to get the ball into the winger more often as "we know he can batter in that ball". McGowan proceeded to do just that when the chance arose with six minutes remaining.

So who does Murphy feel will go down? Well, he for one hoped it wasn't near neighbours Drogheda, although he felt tonight's clash with Bray would prove vital. While many Dundalk fans would happily see their rivals fall down through the trap door, Murphy realises that the derbies are a vital source of revenue for the club in these harsh economic times and would prefer them to remain on the fixture list.

The last six minutes, in which two good goals were netted, gave the lads hope of better things to come. Galway had been run ragged in the second 45: "They're all ******ed out there," and this was a happy night indeed for Larry O'Rourke and John Murphy, two legends who keep Dundalk fans, wherever they are, entertained on match nights. Long may they continue to do so.

Dillonman
26/09/2009, 8:37 AM
And this has got something to do with what, all local radio statiosn are biased towards their local side so this makes no difference!

eL Bettor
26/09/2009, 8:42 AM
???

I think you're trying to find a reason to be offended by the article when the title of it is "An Appreciation". Anyone who has listened to these guys will admit that their commentary style is a little different to other local radio stations who broadcast LOI games, and that's what makes them so entertaining.

Infadel
26/09/2009, 8:45 AM
Who could ever forget their infamous commentry during the Bohs cup replay game

eL Bettor
26/09/2009, 8:49 AM
"I'd love to meet Pat Fenlon down a dark alley I would so I would"

"They're not winners, they're cheats"

:D

Scooby Doo
26/09/2009, 9:37 AM
They're an embarressment. Hey.

eelmonster
26/09/2009, 9:51 AM
They're an embarressment. Hey.

A bit like your spelling then. :o

Good article.

BohDiddley
26/09/2009, 9:58 AM
Great that a club would have a local radio station that supports it in this way. Dublin stations please copy.

Scooby Doo
26/09/2009, 10:12 AM
A bit like your spelling then. :o

Good article.
touché! :o seriously though, they are awful. love their enthusiasm but thats as far as my admiration goes.

ndrog
26/09/2009, 10:26 AM
touché! :o seriously though, they are awful. love their enthusiasm but thats as far as my admiration goes.

You can mock them all you want and there style might leave a lot to be desired but there is no denying there passion to cause of Dundalk fc .If all clubs had local stations as dedicated as this the leauge would would be a better place imo . Fair play to them ..

Scooby Doo
26/09/2009, 10:42 AM
You can mock them all you want and there style might leave a lot to be desired but there is no denying there passion to cause of Dundalk fc .If all clubs had local stations as dedicated as this the leauge would would be a better place imo . Fair play to them ..
Yes haven't i just applauded their enthusiasm. and yes more of the same enthusiasm around the country for the league would be great. However, personally, I feel like cringing everytime I hear that radio show. I am originally from Dundalk and they are not the most eloquent ambassadors for 'da town' lets just say. Fair enough, the article in question is entertaining but theres no doubt they're to some extent having a laugh at the expense of the Dundalk broadcasters.

Finlay Harp
26/09/2009, 10:44 AM
When Harps were going well a few years back we had all our home games broadcast live on Highland Radio and sometimes Ocean Fm. Commentary was nowhere near what Dundalk FM do but nonetheless it was good for those of us that could not make the game. Ah the good old days!:(

ndrog
26/09/2009, 10:51 AM
Yes haven't i just applauded their enthusiasm. and yes more of the same enthusiasm around the country for the league would be great. However, personally, I feel like cringing everytime I hear that radio show. I am originally from Dundalk and they are not the most eloquent ambassadors for 'da town' lets just say. Fair enough, the article in question is entertaining but theres no doubt they're to some extent having a laugh at the expense of the Dundalk broadcasters.

A Dundalk man who supports Shels :eek: I bet your popular when you go back to 'da town' :D

Scooby Doo
26/09/2009, 10:58 AM
A Dundalk man who supports Shels :eek: I bet your popular when you go back to 'da town' :D
Living in Drumcondra. Never became endeared to Dundalk FC. Simple as.

Dunny
26/09/2009, 11:29 AM
'da town' :D

:confused:
Were not Longford.

ndrog
26/09/2009, 12:35 PM
:confused:
Were not Longford.

So what ? Are you taking issue with being called the town " come on da town " being a favourite of Dundalk fans ! is it not :confused:

holidaysong
26/09/2009, 12:59 PM
Living in Drumcondra. Never became endeared to Dundalk FC. Simple as.

Traitor! :mad:

Mark
26/09/2009, 3:33 PM
Larry and John in particular do excellent commentaries. Yep they can be biased but their audience is in mainly the Dundalk area. I've sat next to them in the press box and listened to their commentary and you wouldn't always agree with it all but that's not the point. It's great entertainment and as good as anything else out there. Never criticise it- at least they are getting out there and doing it.

Scooby Doo
26/09/2009, 4:29 PM
:rolleyes: Right.

Dunny
26/09/2009, 4:32 PM

I honestly don't know if your serious or joking...:o

Either way he can support who he wants.

Scooby Doo
26/09/2009, 4:38 PM

Either way he can support who he wants.

Yeah i'm assuming that it was a joke aswell. If not ,maybe i'll just pack in my LOI support and go buy the new Man Yoo strip instead ;).

Scrufil
26/09/2009, 5:21 PM
I had a discussion with Alan the Manager of Dundalk FM 100 last weekend and I commented on the way the match is done and he siad that it is a feature on the radio. It is more about the banter between the lads rather than the game itself. By all accounts in the area they even have 'little old ladies' who have no interest in football but tune in just to hear what the craic between the boys is that day. They also have a huge worldwide listenership on the internet. It actually might be likened to evesdropping on fans in the ground but with much less swear words!

Ezeikial
26/09/2009, 5:29 PM
It may not be to everyones taste, but it is great entertainment and certainly has attracted a big following.

It seems that this model of "fans on the radio" style reporting may be spreading to other grounds.

Aside from the match broadcasts, Dundalk FM have been excellent in their support and promotion of the club. Last Saturday the afternoon sports segment (presented by one of the commentators, John Murphy) featured an in-depth review of the previous nights game, followed by interviews with the new Dundalk Communications Manager and then with Sean Connor. Maybe 45 minutes of excellent coverage.

Nesta99
26/09/2009, 5:31 PM
Like them or loathe them the format works!!! Otherwise they would not be discussed on here or anywhere. Part of the entertainment is the almost Statler and Waldorf like antics of the lads. They are even better fun over a few pints i can assure you...time the slug of yer pint carefully otherwise you'll be choking or snorting out your nose lol

Mr A
26/09/2009, 7:27 PM
Their coverage is superb, even if sometimes they get so carried away you don't know what's actually happening on the pitch!

Dunny
26/09/2009, 7:31 PM
Should have contacted John's show to day about this, will do it for Wednesdays show....:)

Schumi
26/09/2009, 9:56 PM
they are not the most eloquent ambassadors for 'da town' lets just say.
They're not Steve Staunton alright.

holidaysong
27/09/2009, 1:28 AM

Yeah i'm assuming that it was a joke aswell.

I won't be booking out Vicar Street anytime soon then.. :o

Scooby Doo
27/09/2009, 1:45 AM
They're not Steve Staunton alright.
Eloquent as Stan is, none of them will ever top Maxi McAllister! :D

Nesta99
27/09/2009, 8:52 AM
Eloquent as Stan is, none of them will ever top Maxi McAllister! :D

Thats just low! Too low........

paulie_walnuts
27/09/2009, 10:47 AM
And this has got something to do with what, all local radio statiosn are biased towards their local side so this makes no difference!

Are you simple?

He's praising the station and praising the commenataors for keeping him, and many others, entertained. Bloody hell

Karl Phillips
28/09/2009, 1:18 PM
I think the lads are great considering we are in a blackout situation with the national broadcaster. " I do so I do" :D

Da Real Rover
28/09/2009, 2:52 PM
I think they are class, so so entertaining.
I wish Ocean FM had something as entertaining as this other than the absolute boredom of its regular commentary.

razor
28/09/2009, 3:06 PM
Listened to our game on Dundalk FM 2 weeks ago, it was priceless.
I have never laughed so much listening to a football commentary in all my life, brilliant.

My favourite line was "Whats he tryin a 60 yard pass for?, sure he can't pass it 2 yards"

passerrby
28/09/2009, 3:17 PM
have listened a few times and they are excellent and a welcome addition to any club

Rovers1
28/09/2009, 3:22 PM
I've listened a few times, very entertaining.

"O' Call.....AH GEORGE! COME ON!.. standin' there, like a....like a... STATUE!!"

Mr A
28/09/2009, 3:23 PM
One of the best things about them is that like Ron Burgundy they'll read out virtually anything you text to them.

And I mean An-y-thing.

Ezeikial
28/09/2009, 4:29 PM
One of the best things about them is that like Ron Burgundy they'll read out virtually anything you text to them.

And I mean An-y-thing.

A number of weeks ago while doing their thing at Oriel, they relayed the unfolding drama, goal by goal, in a match at the Brandywell. I think they stopped reporting the text updates when the score reached 6-6.

Mr A
28/09/2009, 4:30 PM
Brilliant!

thischarmingman
28/09/2009, 6:38 PM
"I'm Ron Burgandy?"

White Horse
29/09/2009, 12:42 AM
"I'm Ron Burgandy?"

Local radio commentary adds so much to the league, especially for those unable to travel to matches. In addition to information, it gives colour and character to the locality the team comes from. The commentary is pure Dundalk. It would be fascinating to hear commentary from other towns and cities.

One thing does grate with me though. Sometimes the boys forget to tell you what is happening.

"The ball is crossed into the box. Rowe rises.... ah would you look at that, what did he do that for...."

I don't know, I'm waiting for you to tell me. You're watching, I'm not. :confused: