PDA

View Full Version : Another Full House At Tallaght

Pages : [1] 2 3

wedwood
25/09/2009, 10:56 PM
No, I'm not trying to rub peoples noses in it , but rather I'm celebrating that the League of Ireland can pack out the stadiums if we go about it the right way.
http://www.shamrockrovers.ie/images/nextgame.jpg

Dillonman
25/09/2009, 11:01 PM
No, I'm not trying to rub peoples noses in it , but rather I'm celebrating that the League of Ireland can pack out the stadiums if we go about it the right way.
http://www.shamrockrovers.ie/images/nextgame.jpg

Is the new stand fully open now?!

wedwood
25/09/2009, 11:09 PM
Is the new stand fully open now?!

Both stands will be fully open for the Bohs game onwards.

PartySaint
25/09/2009, 11:10 PM
Whats peoples problem with this, A LOI club has sold out a home game, its great news and calling Rvers fans glory hunters, who cares what they are hunting once they are going, far play to them, we all wish our clubs could sell 5,000 tickets for every match

brianw82
25/09/2009, 11:24 PM
the League of Ireland can pack out the stadiums if we go about it the right way.

Not every team has the chance to start afresh in an untapped market right beside a LUAS stop.

I don't mean that to sound unkind, but Shamrock Rovers are still new in Tallaght. Bohs are still Bohs in Phibsborough, same as they were last season. Same for ourselves, Galway, Cork, etc.

They have marketed themselves brilliantly, though. All credit to them for that.

Ezeikial
25/09/2009, 11:32 PM
No ifs, no buts, no maybes....this is just brilliant stuff.

6000 crowd sell outs - more of the same is what is needed, at Shamrock Rovers and every other club.

The match day experience at Tallaght is excellent and congratulations to all concerned.

SUB of the day
26/09/2009, 8:02 AM
A positive story for the league, well done Rovers.I presume its live on TV?. The classic Dublin derby, top of the table clash, complete sellout, superb pitch and stadium, can it get any better for Irish football fans?

Dixie Dean
26/09/2009, 8:37 AM
Well done shams. Its a shame ye will lose the title in sligo tonight ;)

Any idea how many tickets could be sold if not limited to 6000?

Da Real Rover
26/09/2009, 9:59 AM
Well done Shams, its good to see any LoI club getting sell out crowds.
Its good for football and good for the League.
Im just wondering where all these "fans" were when ye were playing in Tolka?

Buller
26/09/2009, 10:01 AM

Most likely barstooling it up in pubs right across the southside! Some have been shown the light however...

Well done shams. Its a shame ye will lose the title in sligo tonight ;)

Any idea how many tickets could be sold if not limited to 6000?

I'd hazard a conservative guess at around 10,000. Its a very big match and its sold out more than a week in advance. Also Bohs were given 500, as league champions they could have brought much more. (I would hope)

RonnieB
26/09/2009, 10:46 AM
After all the disasters going on around us in the league its good to see something positive for a change even if it is for Shamrock Rovers :P

The crowds so far out in Tallaght have been great. I was talking to a lot of lapsed Rovers fans a while back and they all stated they would be getting season tickets now they had a "home"

ndrog
26/09/2009, 10:46 AM

I dont think its important were they were but only that they have bought tickets for rovers this season .Why are people so spiteful when a club actually goes and does what we all want our own clubs to do .Fair play to rovers its great and im feckin jealous of them .Lucky gits .

blackholesun
26/09/2009, 2:05 PM
Another great thing about the gates has been the high % of season tickets at each game.

I didnt really think we'd get as high as 2500 season ticket holders in the first season. I've even heard of some long standing fans who are not season ticket holders who turned up close to ko at the Pats game and were shocked to find out they wouldnt be able to get in and who were raging and saying they would get their season tickets next year.

Live in Tallaght myself, and have come across loads of stories of people who never followed LOI before buying season tickets and are really enjoying going to the games.

Hopefully next year we can sell 3000+ season tickets!

bhs

Derry
26/09/2009, 2:55 PM
It's good to see a club get good support. However there are extenuating circumstances that may be the cause of the big support, ie new stands, new club to the area and you doing well. Soon the new stands and being new to the area will be a thing of the past, then you'll have to really work to sustain your crowds. Which i hope you do, as there's nothing better than a well filled ground.

Nesta99
26/09/2009, 5:18 PM
Excellent stuff for Rovers! Anybody who seeks out negatives in selling out a LoI match is suffering a big dose of the green eyed monster...i am extremely jealous of the way things have worked out so well for them but hey better them than nobody! Novelty value is often commented on here in regard to attendances, Rovers will do well to consistently maintain this level of attendance in the medium/long term - if it cant be done at Tallaght and the excellent matchday experience well then it wont happen anywhere and theories on the 'build it and they will come' scenario will be proven one way or another.
On an aside a good proportion of the younger Dundalk fans are products of the bug biting due to the 2002 Cup semi, and final, so in my opinion the big match day assuming it is a positive experience will grab the attention of many people so i would think that Rovers are on the verge of a successful era - closely followed by Dundalk of course as old rivalries are renewed and the charlatans of recent years are well and truely back in their respective boxes:p

dfx-
26/09/2009, 6:35 PM
On an aside a good proportion of the younger Dundalk fans are products of the bug biting due to the 2002 Cup semi, and final, so in my opinion the big match day assuming it is a positive experience will grab the attention of many people so i would think that Rovers are on the verge of a successful era

Less mention of that game please :( Remains the only game I've left early despite worse defeats before and since. Nightmares..

SkStu
26/09/2009, 6:41 PM
does this thread mean the successful Rovers foot.ie boycott has come to an end?

:D

MickNolan
26/09/2009, 7:12 PM
does this thread mean the successful Rovers foot.ie boycott has come to an end?

:D

Most still do...

A face
26/09/2009, 10:54 PM
D'you know ... if i was a Rovers fan i wouldn't care what other people think. I'd love to be there on match night when you have capacity crowd there, the atmosphere, the pre-match buzz, you just have to soak it up. Its what its all about .... the build up, the anticipation, the actual need for points on the table and wishing the game goes your way.

When city had capacity crowds in 2004, 2005 alot of our fans were so far up their own, rubbing peoples noses in it, i couldn't help thinking why not just enjoy it. At the time i was saying it was great to have crowds when City and Pats were going head to head a few years earlier and then crowds fell away again. And by that i meant the crowds wont last forever so it will come back to bite us soon after so why grate off people? Its four years later now and some of the gates this season have been poor. Four years isn't a long time in my opinion.

If Rovers are doing it right, and demand dictates the progress on the other stands in Tallaght then i'd be proud (LOI) and jealous (club) all at the same time. I love this league and full time footie, summer soccer, licensing and brief glimpses of success in the system like selling players or other signs that sustainability is not far off has helped to highlight what can happen if its done right. It all takes at least five years before it shows any return and the sooner it happens then the sooner our league gets on the map.

If this "sold out" poster is a sign of it all happening then i dont have an issue with it. I say bring it on. I wish it was us first. Every club needs to get to this stage.

rovers100%
26/09/2009, 10:58 PM
hopefully the game lives up to the hype and its good football. biggest game of the season in loi. 2000 of them tickets are prob fans looking to go to a comedy and realise at 15euro its cheaper and twice as funny to go to a loi match and watch the standard of refereeing than to go to a tommy tiernan gig !!!

mypost
27/09/2009, 3:28 AM
Novelty value is often commented on here in regard to attendances, Rovers will do well to consistently maintain this level of attendance in the medium/long term - if it cant be done at Tallaght and the excellent matchday experience well then it wont happen anywhere and theories on the 'build it and they will come' scenario will be proven one way or another.

There are 92,000 people living in Tallaght, more than enough for 6,000 to fill our stadium. If we need help, we have most of Dublin South to call on, and pockets of the the rest of the city. We're not a parochial club.

I don't know how long we'll keep selling out, but I do know that people were saying that we wouldn't be getting them now, at the start of the season. Well we are, and hope to get them for a good long while yet.

Nesta99
27/09/2009, 9:07 AM
Less mention of that game please :( Remains the only game I've left early despite worse defeats before and since. Nightmares..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psztotXksqE

Just in case you missed anything...!!:D

Nesta99
27/09/2009, 9:09 AM
There are 92,000 people living in Tallaght, more than enough for 6,000 to fill our stadium.

Hmmm? try that one on the Cork City fans.

My comment was intended as complimentary of Tallaght!! (feel weak after saying that)..

Dunny
27/09/2009, 11:01 AM

Nice way to start a Sunday that!

Rovers1
27/09/2009, 11:37 AM
I take it there's absoloutely no chance of getting a ticket for this?

eamo1
27/09/2009, 12:47 PM
Is the game live on TG4 or any channel?It doesnt matter to me as ill be in Terryland Park but would be great for the league for a full house top of the table clash derby game to be seen by the country.

Ezeikial
27/09/2009, 3:09 PM

Thanks for the memories!

It's the hope of repeats of nights like that, that have sustained me through the graveyard years

SkStu
27/09/2009, 3:15 PM
best wishes rovers and i hope ye win the league to top off your success this season,
as long as the bohs referee is not appointed for the game,
like the one they brought to waterford with them,
cheating pr1ck

hahahaha - thanks for giving me a laugh, lad (you mentaller)!

Yeah the ref travelled down on the team bus and where he was fed steak and lobster, gave him a Bohs jersey signed by all the players and even gave him a go at driving the bus - you should have seen the smile on his face when the driver showed him how to blow his horn.

But he swore he'd referee the game fairly and i believe him.

Sheridan
27/09/2009, 3:16 PM
I understand that this has now been upgraded to a 16,000 sell-out due to the inclusion of all registered Dublin taxi drivers in the attendance figure.

thedoyler
27/09/2009, 3:39 PM
Brilliant news will be at the match myself as college dictates that I cant make it to Galway this friday so I would always go the nearest game if possible. Im proud of the way the fans appear to have resurrected the club after relegation a few years ago and hope that if the same situation occurs out in Bray that our proposed development would harbour the same sort of revival albeit on a smaller scale. I believe the rovers success has been very important to the league's credibility, hopefully others follow suit.

mypost
27/09/2009, 4:25 PM
Is the game live on TG4 or any channel?It doesnt matter to me as ill be in Terryland Park but would be great for the league for a full house top of the table clash derby game to be seen by the country.

All the sadder that the biggest derby in the country will be shown when the game's target audience will be out watching their own games, but hey, that's this league's Marketing for you. :rolleyes:

tallaghtfornia
27/09/2009, 8:30 PM
I understand that this has now been upgraded to a 16,000 sell-out due to the inclusion of all registered Dublin taxi drivers in the attendance figure.

You really are bitter aren't you. While everyone here is commenting on how good it is to see a sell out at a LOI ground for a potential title decider regardless of who the teams are you have to drag up your bitter excuse of an arguement and take a pie in the sky swipe at Rovers for no reason. You still live in this bubble where you believe that Rovers are lying about attendances and will be found out at the end of the season and you are in for one hell of a shock (apparently) when its proven that the averaged well over 3000 with one stand and will average 5500-6000 with both.

placid casual
27/09/2009, 8:57 PM
I think the biggest shock that sheridan is going to get is when he has his "fight club" realisation moment.:p

On the issue of the hoops selling out the stadium and the general feeeling of the glass being completey full out in whitestown:
a number of years ago I got a copy of the "rough guide to European Football".
basically all the match going details of stadiums and teams all around europe.
The LOI section finished with a line that said (roughly)...
-If and when Shamrock Rovers can get into the proposed tallaght stadium, and get re-established, they could be the launching pad for Irish football once again to emege from the shadows into the light-.

The book was published in 1998!!!

mypost
27/09/2009, 9:13 PM
You really are bitter aren't you. While everyone here is commenting on how good it is to see a sell out at a LOI ground for a potential title decider regardless of who the teams are you have to drag up your bitter excuse of an arguement and take a pie in the sky swipe at Rovers for no reason. You still live in this bubble where you believe that Rovers are lying about attendances and will be found out at the end of the season and you are in for one hell of a shock (apparently) when its proven that the averaged well over 3000 with one stand and will average 5500-6000 with both.

Any Rovers-related argument from Sheridan can be instantly dismissed by the fact his club are playing Junior Football, and we're top of the league in Senior Football.

We did his club a favour by poaching Roddy Collins. He should be grateful rather than spiteful.

fergalr
27/09/2009, 10:21 PM
I think the biggest shock that sheridan is going to get is when he has his "fight club" realisation moment.:p
!
Or if he ever goes to a game in Tallaght.

That's if CHF fans ever actually go to games any more (or ever?).

dfx-
28/09/2009, 12:08 AM

Just in case you missed anything...!!

:(

I remember much more. Pat Scully being denied a perfectly good equaliser at 1-0. I'll never forget how hard Dundalk ran at Rovers at the start of the second half.

Greg Costello's header :(

All we have to to get 16,000 in Tallaght is tell our friends in high places that Sheridan is attending and they'll come from far and wide to see the boy himself. Still there'll be seats seen though, so obviously wouldn't be a full house.

rerun
28/09/2009, 7:42 AM

I think you're being unfair here dude. Consider the fact that Tallaght stadium has a masisve catchment area for people who might not have considered LOI football because they haven't been exposed to it that much. Add to that a decent stadium with proper transport links etc.

There's no point in wondering why 3 or 4 thousand people from Tallaght didn't travel across the city to Tolka, it's obvious. Nobody wants to do that for "home" games on a Friday night, maybe take a kid along. It's a pain in the backside. Two buses, having to change in the city centre, traveling just in or around rush hour(s :) ) to get there. Or go in the car and have hassle parking because there's another full house at Tolka!

Where were all these fans? Probably at home watching TV, or worse still, sitting about with nothing to do. Tallaght Stadium is an example of what can happen when a decent team and good facilities are developed in a live football starved community.

mypost
28/09/2009, 7:43 AM
Still there'll be seats seen though, so obviously wouldn't be a full house.

We'll need segregation for Sheridan. :D

Dixie Dean
28/09/2009, 8:41 AM
I think Rovers are just getting the fans this year because they are up at the top of the league and the novelty factor has not worn off in Tallaght yet.

Next Year will tell its own story.

The above statement personifies the typical LOI supporter. Good aul negativity.

Shams are traditonally well supported and there is no reason why they cannot maintain or even increase their support into the future. They have thrown down the gauntlet to the rest of us and as a supporter owned club fair play to them. Statements like the above show they will bring existing LOI fans kicking and screaming to progress.

osborne
28/09/2009, 9:16 AM
I think Rovers are just getting the fans this year because they are up at the top of the league and the novelty factor has not worn off in Tallaght yet.

Next Year will tell its own story.

How very Irish :rolleyes:

OneRedArmy
28/09/2009, 9:30 AM
The above statement personifies the typical LOI supporter. Good aul negativity.

Shams are traditonally well supported and there is no reason why they cannot maintain or even increase their support into the future. They have thrown down the gauntlet to the rest of us and as a supporter owned club fair play to them. Statements like the above show they will bring existing LOI fans kicking and screaming to progress.Its true though!

Hopefully they can maintain the crowds, but NOBODY in the League has ever managed to sustain high crowds and almost every club has had them at some stage in their history.

What Rovers is doing now is good for the League (a well run club competing for trophies) but they need to change history and cultural psyches in order to make it last.

CuanaD
28/09/2009, 11:03 AM
It's good to see a club get good support. However there are extenuating circumstances that may be the cause of the big support, ie new stands, new club to the area and you doing well. Soon the new stands and being new to the area will be a thing of the past, then you'll have to really work to sustain your crowds. Which i hope you do, as there's nothing better than a well filled ground.
Which is why I hope SR don't win the league this year - too much too soon will leave the new fans expecting to win everything all the time & they can get disillusioned very quickly with a few bad results.
On the other hand - a good second place finish this year, European football & the chance to go one better next year - gives the anticipation that keeps people coming back.
& if Rovers could then win the league NEXT year - all those new fans will have 18+ months under their belts - there's no going back at that stage, they'll be SR & LOI for life:ball:

CuanaD
28/09/2009, 11:06 AM
Negativity or Realism?

The LOI is currently living in cloud cuckoo land in financial terms. It is as obvious as the nose on your face that full-time soccer will never prosper in Ireland. Perhaps it will take the disintegration of one of the bigger clubs for some people to realise this. Its totally mad the way lads are pointing to Rovers and saying how great they are and there is no reason they can't go on to achieve x,y and z. Lets not forget its only a matter of months since they paid off 4c in the euro off their debts.
Just had a look at your 'last 10 posts'
You are a real UP person, aren't you? :rolleyes:
(although I somehow found myself agreeing with your comments about Greens/FF :o )

Dixie Dean
28/09/2009, 12:52 PM
Negativity or Realism?

The LOI is currently living in cloud cuckoo land in financial terms. It is as obvious as the nose on your face that full-time soccer will never prosper in Ireland. Perhaps it will take the disintegration of one of the bigger clubs for some people to realise this. Its totally mad the way lads are pointing to Rovers and saying how great they are and there is no reason they can't go on to achieve x,y and z. Lets not forget its only a matter of months since they paid off 4c in the euro off their debts.

For me its negativity. Shams have 2500 season ticket holders with projections of 3000 next year. A good manager, a good brand, stadium and location. I admit i am an optimist and my view (despite the problems of some clubs, note not all) a break through in europe will happen eventually and that will hopefully at a minimum maintain the interest if not kick it on.

If we are to be negative all the time , whats the point?

Part of attracting more crowds to LOI is the current fans selling it to friends/family etc. Who is going to go to a LOI game as a first timer based on all the negative comments on this forum?

CJTheGull
28/09/2009, 1:33 PM

Yeah the game is live on 'Sacar Beo' @ 7:30pm Friday night.

osarusan
28/09/2009, 1:41 PM
I think the crowds currently going to Tallaght are fantastic, and there is no doubt that good facilities, atmosphere and results will keep people coming back.

But the fact that there is an element of novelty involved (which will obviously wear off at some stage) must be considered, and Shamrock Rovers would be foolish not to realise it. However, I am sure they have considered it, and will keep looking for ways to attract new fans and keep as many fans as possible.

The wearing off of the novelty factor need not impact on attendances if other efforts to attract and keep fans are successful enough.

MariborKev
28/09/2009, 2:05 PM
Which is why I hope SR don't win the league this year - too much too soon will leave the new fans expecting to win everything all the time & they can get disillusioned very quickly with a few bad results.
On the other hand - a good second place finish this year, European football & the chance to go one better next year - gives the anticipation that keeps people coming back.

I'd agree with that sentiment.

pineapple stu
28/09/2009, 3:42 PM
There's more to the mascot price (http://www.shamrockrovers.ie/sponsorship/matchday-mascots) than that, as has already been posted here. (It may or mayn't be worth it, but it's not as stingy as you make out)

You've started off by posting a lot of unfounded rumours or nonsense posts like that one. How's about a sensible contribution for a change?

Acornvilla
28/09/2009, 3:53 PM
someone sounds jealous/bitter!

pineapple stu
28/09/2009, 3:54 PM
Half the rest of the league has done the same thing. At least Rovers have learnt from it, and have built the fanbase they have through proper marketing and hard work.

Anyone who has a problem with that has a serious chip on their shoulder.