PDA

View Full Version : Trapattoni signs two-year extension

Pages : [1] 2 3

NeilMcD
25/09/2009, 3:24 PM
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/0925/trapattonig.html

Republic of Ireland manager Giovanni Trapattoni has agreed a two-year extension to his current contract with the FAI.

Speculation had been rife that a new deal was near completion, but RTÉ Sport understands that the Italian has signed a two-year extension to his current deal, which was due to expire at the end of the current World Cup campaign.

More to follow.

KK77
25/09/2009, 3:30 PM
Republic of Ireland manager Giovanni Trapattoni has agreed a two-year extension to his current contract with the FAI.

Speculation had been rife that a new deal was near completion, but RTÉ Sport understands that the Italian has signed a two-year extension to his current deal, which was due to expire at the end of the current World Cup campaign.

The deal with Trapattoni will again be part funded by Denis O'Brien, who was instrumental in securing the Italian's services 18 months ago.

Welcoming the new contract, John Delaney, Chief Executive of the Football Association of Ireland, said: 'We are very happy to agree a contract extension with Giovanni Trapattoni. The players and everyone on the FAI Board of Management have been tremendously impressed by the professionalism, dedication and commitment of Giovanni Trapattoni and his team.

'We thank Denis O'Brien for his continuing contribution which will guarantee the services of one of the world's most successful managers, through until 2012.'

Trapattoni revealed: 'I am delighted to continue my job with the FAI. This squad has huge potential. Our results demonstrate what self belief and structure can achieve and I am really looking forward to continuing the work we have begun.'

Welcoming the renewed appointment, businessman O'Brien said: 'When the appointment of Giovanni Trapattoni was announced, we said that hiring the right people would enable us to get the right results.

'In Giovanni, the team has grown in stature and confidence and I am very happy to renew my partnership with the FAI, Giovanni Trapattoni and the Irish squad for the coming campaign.'

gspain
25/09/2009, 3:30 PM
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/0925/trapattonig.html

More to follow.

Got the txt from the eircom site that confirms it. Good news.

drummerboy
25/09/2009, 3:33 PM
Got the txt from the eircom site that confirms it. Good news.

Not for Andy Reid, its not.:(

backstothewall
25/09/2009, 3:36 PM
2 more years of Trap. Good news. By then hopefullyJohn Sheridan will have gotten a promotion under his belt with Chesterfield and will have moved on to a decent sized championship club (Sheff Wed seems obvious) and will have the expereince to take up the reigns

Yard of Pace
25/09/2009, 3:38 PM
Not happy with this. Why couldn't they wait and see if we qualify first?

LFCSixty/Eighty
25/09/2009, 3:39 PM
Thats the end of Andy Reid's international career then :(

Jicked
25/09/2009, 3:48 PM
Not happy with this. Why couldn't they wait and see if we qualify first?
Why? Trap's done everything asked of him, and more. If we draw France in a play-off and are knocked out you don't think his contract should be renewed?!

Great news, delighted to have another two years of his organisation on the pitch and his endearing lunacy off it.

Yard of Pace
25/09/2009, 3:55 PM
Why? Trap's done everything asked of him, and more. If we draw France in a play-off and are knocked out you don't think his contract should be renewed?!

Great news, delighted to have another two years of his organisation on the pitch and his endearing lunacy off it.

We've had a ton of luck and played some absolutely putrid football. I think we have the potential to be seriously whupped by a decent team, if we ever have to play one. IMO Trap benefits as regards public perception from having taken over from someone as inept as Stan. If we qualify, great. If not, I'd prefer to see someone else get a go.

Drumcondra 69er
25/09/2009, 3:59 PM
Good news. Possibly could have waited till second was confirmed first though.

Murfinator
25/09/2009, 4:01 PM
Whether you think he's one of the greatest managers in the world or a mediocre conservative guy who's lucked his way this far....well it's irrelevant since we wouldn't be getting any better than mediocrity looking elsewhere.

Drumcondra 69er
We've had a ton of luck and played some absolutely putrid football. I think we have the potential to be seriously whupped by a decent team, if we ever have to play one. IMO Trap benefits as regards public perception from having taken over from someone as inept as Stan. If we qualify, great. If not, I'd prefer to see someone else get a go.

Such as not getting a stonewall penalty against Montenegro? Or not conceding an unfortunate og at home to Bulgaria? The luck's evened out so far, it's a myth that we've been blessed.

backstothewall
Anyone any idea what seeding we are likely to get for the EURO qualifiers. I had a look but you would need a Phd in Advanced Mathematics to work it out.

SkStu
25/09/2009, 4:05 PM
Such as not getting a stonewall penalty against Montenegro? Or not conceding an unfortunate og at home to Bulgaria? The luck's evened out so far, it's a myth that we've been blessed.

i agree we havent been blessed, we've just been bland and boring.

Despite my disgust for his tactics/style of play and occasionally his selection, i have no problem with him getting another two years. It is good sleeping material watching this team play which is good for an insomniac like me.

Jicked
25/09/2009, 4:07 PM

We won't be whupped by a 'decent team', in fact the one thing Trap seems to have guaranteed is that. You could argue that we're less likely to cause a shock win against a big team nowadays, but we are certainly not going to be hammered by anyone nowadays. And considering the last time we had one of those shock wins was 8 years ago, that's a pretty good trade for me.

As for luck.... In our past campaign we needed luck to scrape a last minute draw at home to Cyprus and a last minute winner to San fecking Marino. Now our 'luck' consists of grinding out good results despite not having the majority of possession. No last minute blocks, no miracle saves, no last gasp goals. The fortunate penalty against Georgia could be countered by the travesty of not getting a pen in Podgorica. We played fantastic football away to Bulgaria in the first half and went in at 1-1 due to a moment of madness. Similarly Bulgaria hardly had a chance all night in Croker until we put the ball in to our own net. So the big slice of luck we had was not having to play Georgia in Tblisi, is that really enough to say he's a hugely lucky manager??

And putrid football? Give me a competitive 0-0 with Italy in two weeks over not getting a kick in Stuttgart, being brushed aside in Prague and of course there was also Cyrpus. It's also less putrid than the Kerr regime, and is getting results that Kerr couldn't. He's also achieving better results/performances than McCarthy got for a very, very long time.

But if you know of a manager who will get Caleb Folan, Sean St Ledger, Glenn Whelan and Kevin Kilbane playing like Spain whilst also grinding out tough results then please do share.

Irish_Praha
25/09/2009, 4:09 PM
I think he's done a good enough job so far to have earned the extention. He has his negative points but the positive points far outweigh them.
I'm also glad that we can put off the media circus sorrounding the selection of a new manager for another two years. The length of the selection process and some of the suggested names was really offputting last time.
If I had put a tenner against every short-term favourite I would have made a lot of money. I'm feeling in general positive about the International set-up at the moment even though the world cup dream could be dead in a month or so. That coupled with having to look for new manager from a bunch of has-beens would all but kill my positive feelings.
I think it would be very difficult/impossible for the FAI to find anyone as good as or better than Trap anyway. My only slight reservation would be his age but that doesn't appear to effect him yet.

Yard of Pace
25/09/2009, 4:10 PM

Ah come on. Playing Georgia in Mainz, the penalty at home to Georgia, the Italian sending-off. That's 3 strokes of amazing good fortune and most certainly not evened out by whatever bad luck has befallen thus far in my opinion.

I usually believe in "you make your own luck", but that penalty in Croke Park :)

OwlsFan
25/09/2009, 4:10 PM
We've had a ton of luck and played some absolutely putrid football. I think we have the potential to be seriously whupped by a decent team, if we ever have to play one.

Hmmm, I think we played Italy in Italy and didn't get whupped. I think they are a decent team by world standards.

ANyone like Giles or Dunphy who thinks the likes of Paul Jewell would do much better with much of the mediocrity at our disposal is living in cloud cuckoo land.

Good news.

Yard of Pace
25/09/2009, 4:12 PM
But if you know of a manager who will get Caleb Folan, Sean St Ledger, Glenn Whelan and Kevin Kilbane playing like Spain whilst also grinding out tough results then please do share.

They wouldn't need to! :confused:
Except for St.Ledger I wouldn't have any of those guys in an Ireland team.

Jicked
25/09/2009, 4:25 PM
Ah yes, so Clinton Morisson would lead our free-flowing band of total footballers to South Africa , qualifying after about 6 games. And you'll no doubt change your tune on St Ledger once the lad makes a couple of mistakes. Suddenly he'll be rubbish and Marc Wilson or someone else will be the answer to all our prayers.

Uncle_Joe
25/09/2009, 4:28 PM
At what stage does an Irish Manager guide the team to second place in a group containing the world champions (fingers crossed), and not deserve another campaign? :rolleyes:

DeLorean
25/09/2009, 4:41 PM
My opinion would be a combination of the extremes pointed out so far.

Firstly, I think we should be thrilled that we have got him for another 2 years. He's a high profile manager that before his appointment we could only dream of attracting. Whatever happens in the next 2/4 games he has taken us to the brink of qualification, something we were a million miles from achieving 2 yrs ago.

Secondly, with regards to Andy Reid. If he keeps up his current attitude and performances and keeps saying the right things to the media, I believe that Trappatoni will give him his chance, if not for the WC then definitely the Euros.

Thirdly, we have had an enormous amount of luck in this campaign. Definitely hasn't balanced itself out in my opinion, but who cares, long may it continue.

osarusan
25/09/2009, 4:45 PM
i agree we havent been blessed, we've just been bland and boring.

Despite my disgust for his tactics/style of play and occasionally his selection, i have no problem with him getting another two years.
My feelings also. I don't much like they way we play, but I'm happy with the results.

frog-gufc
25/09/2009, 4:53 PM
listen lads as long as he's gettin the results thats all that matters, if you have your doubts just think back as far as the start of the euro qualifers back in 2002 untill the end of stans reign and ye should soon cum to your senses:D as the man once said" you can only work with the tools your given" i disagree about andy reid and carsley but besides that i cant complain:ball:

jbyrne
25/09/2009, 5:08 PM
I think we have the potential to be seriously whupped by a decent team, if we ever have to play one.

yes, like maybe when we have to play the world champions someday :rolleyes:

Cloggs
25/09/2009, 5:10 PM
We won't be whupped by a 'decent team', in fact the one thing Trap seems to have guaranteed is that. You could argue that we're less likely to cause a shock win against a big team nowadays, but we are certainly not going to be hammered by anyone nowadays. And considering the last time we had one of those shock wins was 8 years ago, that's a pretty good trade for me.

As for luck.... In our past campaign we needed luck to scrape a last minute draw at home to Cyprus and a last minute winner to San fecking Marino. Now our 'luck' consists of grinding out good results despite not having the majority of possession. No last minute blocks, no miracle saves, no last gasp goals. The fortunate penalty against Georgia could be countered by the travesty of not getting a pen in Podgorica. We played fantastic football away to Bulgaria in the first half and went in at 1-1 due to a moment of madness. Similarly Bulgaria hardly had a chance all night in Croker until we put the ball in to our own net. So the big slice of luck we had was not having to play Georgia in Tblisi, is that really enough to say he's a hugely lucky manager??

And putrid football? Give me a competitive 0-0 with Italy in two weeks over not getting a kick in Stuttgart, being brushed aside in Prague and of course there was also Cyrpus. It's also less putrid than the Kerr regime, and is getting results that Kerr couldn't. He's also achieving better results/performances than McCarthy got for a very, very long time.

in what planet have ireland or indeed any of the aforementioned players played like Spain??:confused:personally i think that the majority of the football thats been played under trap has been brutal to say the least.fair enough we're pretty competitive but we've been struggling in the centre of midfield,particularly with whelan who is not an international class player.no creative spark there imo.won't go into the andy reid debate as would love to see him back but nothing anyone can do about that other than trap himself.McCarthy's teams played much better football that attracted fans to watch the team and create a good atmosphere.people can say what they like about playing in croke park but you need the team to give people something to cheer about too:ball:

elroy
25/09/2009, 5:12 PM
Great news, I was fearful that the money wouldnt be there for this so many thanks Denis O'Brien.

Traps results have been more than satisfactory, we've made great progress and the team has a shape and purpose that was so absent in the previous campaign. The high profile nature of our manager certainly does us no harm as far as Im concerned. Even if we dont qualify i still think this is the right decision.

Jicked
25/09/2009, 5:18 PM
in what planet have ireland or indeed any of the aforementioned players played like Spain??:confused:personally i think that the majority of the football thats been played under trap has been brutal to say the least.fair enough we're pretty competitive but we've been struggling in the centre of midfield,particularly with whelan who is not an international class player.no creative spark there imo.won't go into the andy reid debate as would love to see him back but nothing anyone can do about that other than trap himself.McCarthy's teams played much better football that attracted fans to watch the team and create a good atmosphere.people can say what they like about playing in croke park but you need the team to give people something to cheer about too:ball:

My point was that with the players we have we won't be playing like Spain whoever the manager.
We are missing creative spark in the middle, but that's a very deliberate omission. Instead of that creative spark in the middle, we put all our attacking options in the two wingers and the front two, and effectively play
with four centre halfs, so there's no point blaming Whelan for lacking creativity as he's not picked for that.
And do you not remember the early days of McCarthy? It took us an awful long while to get to the 2002 WC qualifying campaign.

Mr A
25/09/2009, 5:22 PM
Absolutely delighted. Viva il Trap!

Drumcondra 69er
25/09/2009, 5:34 PM
Ah come on. Playing Georgia in Mainz, the penalty at home to Georgia, the Italian sending-off. That's 3 strokes of amazing good fortune and most certainly not evened out by whatever bad luck has befallen thus far in my opinion.

I usually believe in "you make your own luck", but that penalty in Croke Park :)

Jicks reply to your OP comprehensively argues otherwise, I won't bother repeating it.

MeathDrog
25/09/2009, 6:04 PM
I know Trap has done a satisfactory job so far, but the FAI are still jumping the gun. The situation might be completely different come the turn of the year when the qualifying campaign is over. Could we at least have waited until we found out our final position? Or who we will be (probably) playing in the playoffs?

I know a lot of that may be seen as irrelevent, but as I said, Trappa might feel differently about his position by the end of the year should Ireland not qualify, that that I'm afriad is a strong possibility should we get a sh*t draw in the playoffs.

I seem to remember the IRFU doing something simular by offering O' Sullivan a contract before a **** poor World Cup.

Jicked
25/09/2009, 6:09 PM
Conversely we could go in to the play-off with this hanging over everyone's head and disrupting preparations for that, anyone who remembers the end of Brian Kerr's last campaign knows how big a distraction that can be.

Noelys Guitar
25/09/2009, 6:26 PM
Good news. Don't enjoy some of our matches football wise but enjoy the results. We are unbeaten in what many believed would be a tough group. We have progressed under Trap and the results don't lie.

Stuttgart88
25/09/2009, 6:26 PM
Such as not getting a stonewall penalty against Montenegro? Or not conceding an unfortunate og at home to Bulgaria? The luck's evened out so far, it's a myth that we've been blessed.Hear hear.

We've had good luck & bad.

Good goal disallowed against Georgia, penalty not awarded against Georgia, Steven Reid missing the whole campaign...

Look at Italy, they've got some pretty decent breaks too, to say the least. Cyprus missing a hatful of chances against them, their win in Montenegro was gifted to them and they should have been down to ten men.

geysir
25/09/2009, 6:57 PM
I don't think I would have the stamina for a new managers thread/s

Stuttgart88
25/09/2009, 7:05 PM
Jicks reply to your OP comprehensively argues otherwise, I won't bother repeating it.Yes, that was a great reply. Good man Jickser.

Yard of Pace
25/09/2009, 7:09 PM
yes, like maybe when we have to play the world champions someday :rolleyes:

Who carved us open with embarrassing ease and then sat back after going down to 10 men :rolleyes:

geysir
25/09/2009, 7:21 PM
For that brief moment in time, "us" included Keogh at RM and McShane RB.

Stuttgart88
25/09/2009, 8:09 PM
Who carved us open with embarrassing ease and then sat back after going down to 10 men :rolleyes:looks like Weldoninho has a new log in name.

ruben_sosa
25/09/2009, 8:21 PM
great news, he could easily have been poached by a country with more money at their disposal. He's a class act and he has been responsible for the development of a bunch of irish players like St. Ledger, Whelan and Andrews who go back to their clubs with renewed belief and knowledge.

philliyk
25/09/2009, 8:37 PM
Lets make the arguement a bit simpler - Do you wanna play like free flowing fancy football or get results & reach major tournaments?? I know its the latter for me!!

For example sake I'll bet no Arsenal fan of the late eighties early nineties cried for free flowing fancy trophyless (no)European Cup football football or did they just enjoy the cups & league's they seemed to win 1-0 playing so called non-football

Yard of Pace
25/09/2009, 9:31 PM
Lets make the arguement a bit simpler - Do you wanna play like free flowing fancy football or get results & reach major tournaments?? I know its the latter for me!!

For example sake I'll bet no Arsenal fan of the late eighties early nineties cried for free flowing fancy trophyless (no)European Cup football football or did they just enjoy the cups & league's they seemed to win 1-0 playing so called non-football

We haven't reached any tournament yet. My original point was that we should've waited to see what happens. If we come second and put up a good show in the play-offs I'll say fair enough.
Otherwise, jaysis, surely there's other coaches out there who could do as good a job? If anyone wants to poach Trap, the FAI can send them a tape of the Georgia home game or Cyprus home or away. Look what you get for your million a year! Great, huh? :rolleyes:

Jicked
25/09/2009, 9:38 PM
the FAI can send them a tape of the Georgia home game or Cyprus home or away. Look what you get for your million a year!

9 points from 9 :confused:

Mise Le Mas
25/09/2009, 11:25 PM
We haven't reached any tournament yet. My original point was that we should've waited to see what happens. If we come second and put up a good show in the play-offs I'll say fair enough.
Otherwise, jaysis, surely there's other coaches out there who could do as good a job? If anyone wants to poach Trap, the FAI can send them a tape of the Georgia home game or Cyprus home or away. Look what you get for your million a year! Great, huh? :rolleyes:
Really Don't understand your Problem

Yard of Pace
26/09/2009, 2:14 AM
Really Don't understand your Problem

I want to believe, I really do. But I just don't.

mypost
26/09/2009, 4:00 AM
If people want fast, fine, free-flowing football, Brazil is their team to watch. If you want results, watch Ireland.

Deckydee
26/09/2009, 7:20 AM
Brilliant he is staying on!

joe_barry80
26/09/2009, 8:02 AM
Great news, football is not the best to watch most of the time but he gets results. Honestly who would have thought we'd be in this position after Stan left? Would you like to qualify playing boring football or go out playing better. I know we want to be entertained but I think we'd all want be supporting Ireland next summer than supporting Argentina or Spain.

Stuttgart88
26/09/2009, 1:09 PM
I think it's great news too. After the last 6 years we're in no position to complain about lack of flair if we're getting results.

I know it's old ground, but looking at the October squad it's a good mix of old and new: Foley, Westwood, Nolan, O'Dea, SSL, Whelan, Andrews, Lawrence, Folan, Best are all pretty much Trap call ups. The squad is changing and is open to newcomers - albeit only at select windows of opportunity. We're on the right track and it's gradually getting better. Unfortunately Trap can't just magic up a left back, make Duff, Steven Reid & Stephen Finnan injury proof and turn Stephen Ireland into an emotionally mature patriot.

I'm hopeful next spring will also be a window for some others to get a look and who knows, we may just be going to a major finals once again.

Andy Reid's ommission is the only negative for me really, but the positives far outweigh the negatives (especially now Reid has lost weight :)).

I think the players like him and work for him. I think they trust him too, so when he says to do it his way they oblige. That's important. We haven't had a manager capable of doing that for a while.

I had a vision of Ireland in SA being like Rehaggel's Greece in 2004. Not a great team, but they were successful because of other attributes.

seanfhear
26/09/2009, 2:30 PM
Hopefully we get to the play offs and it goes well.

For Ireland to have a coach of Traps standing for 4 years instead of 2 has to be a good thing.

I would say that the experience of working with Trap will have a positive effect on most of these players for the rest of their careers.

When you compare some of the candidates that were suggested last time and Trapatoni then I am glad he is going to be at the helm for another 2 years.