PDA

View Full Version : McCarey snapped up by Wolves

Magicme
25/09/2009, 12:02 PM
MONAGHAN UNITED FC

PRESS RELEASE
Dated: September 25 2009

WOLVES SNAP UP McCAREY

Highly regarded Monaghan United goalkeeper, Aaron McCarey, is set to join Wolves when the transfer window re-opens in January.
The 17-year-old Irishman was at Molineux earlier this week with his family and representatives of his club.

Subject to completing a medical, an agreement was reached with Monaghan and the player, the Irish youngster, who this season has established himself as first choice keeper for the Republic of Ireland based side, will become a Wolves player in the New Year.

Aaron will work under Wolves’ goalkeeping coach Pat Mountain and initially be part of Steve Weaver’s development squad.

“Aaron came in for three days recently for us to have a look at him and Steve and I also went to watch him play for Monaghan,” says Pat.

“We’ve had lots of positive reports on him and were also impressed by what we saw in the game when he did really well. He’s been playing mens’ football in Ireland but has only ever trained part-time so coming in on a full-time basis working with better standard goalkeepers and playing more games should help him to kick on.” He continued

“With Daniel Wright having to retire, we’ve been looking at recruiting a keeper of that age and Aaron is a good prospect with potential for the future.”

for more details go to www.monaghanunited.com

Ezeikial
25/09/2009, 12:04 PM
Well done Monaghan and good luck to McCarey

Acornvilla
25/09/2009, 12:06 PM
what are they getting transfer fee wise??

fergalr
25/09/2009, 12:11 PM
Well done MonaghanHuh? They have just lost a good prospect. Well done is deserved only if they secured a good financial deal.

Magicme
25/09/2009, 12:12 PM
The fee is undisclosed. And it is a case of well done Fergalr as he was never going to stay here, he was too good. We would never stand in the way of a player with such potential either.

It's well done as we have helped develop him as a player since he was 5 yrs old and have given him the shop window to allow him to go make a success of himself. We wish him all the best and are very proud of a young lad who has been a part of our lives here since he was young.

On the front page of the wolves website http://www.wolves.co.uk/page/News/0,,10307~1807944,00.html

fergalr
25/09/2009, 12:43 PM
Good for him. But are you saying all the great work the club has done with him is not going to be appropriately rewarded? Is the money from the deal going to make any significant improvements to your budget? Did you secure a worthy sell-on clause?

Pauro 76
25/09/2009, 12:44 PM
Pat Mountain is a brilliant name for a goalkeeping coach!

Magicme
25/09/2009, 12:54 PM
Good for him. But are you saying all the great work the club has done with him is not going to be appropriately rewarded? Is the money from the deal going to make any significant improvements to your budget? Did you secure a worthy sell-on clause?

Of course the club have made a deal which we are happy with or we would not have sold him. We do not have to sell any players and as for improving the budget, all future Monaghan United budgets, like all recent past ones, will be made with boundaries appropriate to the income we will receive throughout the year in question.

I am not at liberty to discuss the fees but there are performance related and other such clauses included in the deal which reflect the faith we have in Aaron's abilities.

Martinho II
25/09/2009, 6:20 PM
Pat Mountain is a brilliant name for a goalkeeping coach!

its an awful pity hes not called mounting pat!!:D

Martinho II
25/09/2009, 6:22 PM
Of course the club have made a deal which we are happy with or we would not have sold him. We do not have to sell any players and as for improving the budget, all future Monaghan United budgets, like all recent past ones, will be made with boundaries appropriate to the income we will receive throughout the year in question.

I am not at liberty to discuss the fees but there are performance related and other such clauses included in the deal which reflect the faith we have in Aaron's abilities.

If any of ye were reading the sun two days ago it did disclose the fee of the transfer as I knew of this transfer before it was made official...

Dunny
25/09/2009, 6:25 PM

Durty hoor....:D

Magicme
25/09/2009, 6:35 PM
But I wouldnt believe everything you read in the papers Marty.

De Town
25/09/2009, 6:37 PM
Are you into that sort of thing Marty?:eek:

If any of ye were reading the sun two days ago it did disclose the fee of the transfer as I knew of this transfer before it was made official...
Always one step ahead!;)

osarusan
26/09/2009, 9:07 AM
He made a howler against us for our first goal, and was probably partly to blame for our third. No chance with our second, and didn't have that much else to do.

To be honest, he wasn't particularly impressive, but I'm guessing it was just a one-off bad night for him.

Monkfish
26/09/2009, 9:28 AM
Cant see what the fuss is about after last night. He is young though and is bound to improve over there.

stann
26/09/2009, 9:39 AM
He was excellent against us up there in July, made some fine saves, organised well, commanded his area, a very mature performance, way beyond his years.
And he made an outstanding reaction save right at the death.

Magicme
26/09/2009, 11:41 AM
He has been great and if you bear in mind that was only his 9th league appearance last night, he has done fantastically well. 9 league and 4 cup (including some substitutions) is all the experience he has, so he is pretty new to the LOI and has some lessons to learn.

Maybe we cant always see whats so good about a player but Blackburn, Southampton and Charlton were also interested in signing him so there must be something there. He will be a big loss to us next season.

Martinho II
26/09/2009, 7:49 PM
But I wouldnt believe everything you read in the papers Marty.

True but the majority of the story was true in the sun. why is the fee bigger than reported in the press?;)

Martinho II
26/09/2009, 7:49 PM
Durty hoor....:D

it must be all my trips to Dundalk that has me like this Dunny!!:D

Martinho II
26/09/2009, 7:50 PM
Are you into that sort of thing Marty?:eek:

Always one step ahead!;)

the cheek of ye De Town I am one step ahead of the game!!:D

gael353
26/09/2009, 11:09 PM
he was shocking against us last night. fault of two goals and once the ref had been told at half time of his value, he was overprotected in second half. His sale is a victory for good PR by monaghan united. Weeks of stories about him, even when they were getting hammered, resembling Galways efforts to whore out O'Shea earlier in the season. hes young and is a fine strapping lad, hes tall and can kick the ball. Once at wolves they can turn him into something over there.

Dunny
27/09/2009, 2:57 PM
it must be all my trips to Dundalk that has me like this Dunny!!

Ah I think your spending too much time around that wan from Monaghan...;):p:D

monsexile
28/09/2009, 9:29 AM
Wasn't at the Limerick game so can't comment but if he did not play to his best then thats perfectly understandable given the intense the week the teenager had. The stories coming out of Monaghan were not hype. He kept six clean sheets in his first six senior starts which must be some sort of record (credit must also go to his defence in those games especially Brian Gartland). When I've seen him he looks to have all the attributes of a top keeper, not necesaarily in the amount of saves he makes but his organisation of his defence, positioning, confidence etc. That said he is only 17, and by no means do all 17 year-olds in his position go on to make it at the top level. Let's hope he does and Monaghan get suitably rewarded when and if Wolves cash in on him like they did on Mark Connolly recently (pocketing a reported £1million just over a year after signing him from Monaghan).

Martinho II
28/09/2009, 10:20 AM
Ah I think your spending too much time around that wan from Monaghan...;):p:D

You reckon? I havent being up in Monaghan since we played them earlier in the season! and I wont be up there again till next season!