PDA

View Full Version : Is the Italy game now a dead rubber?

Pages : [1] 2

an_ceannaire
24/09/2009, 2:37 PM
Will Croker be even half full? Does this game mean ANYTHING to Italy? Will this game be a damp squib?

Junior
24/09/2009, 3:16 PM
We havent guaranteed a play off spot yet! and I would really rather not be banking on 3 points against Montenegro (should we lose to Italy god forbid) to secure it.

The Irish footballing public are not that docile......are they?

DeLorean
24/09/2009, 3:24 PM
It's pretty anti-climatic compared to what it would have been if Bulgaria had drawn/beaten Italy. 0-0 written all over it, definitely a draw anyway.

jbyrne
24/09/2009, 3:35 PM
we can still top the group. unlikely but you never know what could happen. every campaign theres at least one group that produces a set of mad results near the end to spring a surprise. did anyone really believe in 1987 that when we beat bulgaria 2 - 0 they would go on to lose to scotland and we would qualify??

Jicked
24/09/2009, 3:54 PM
It's Ireland playing a competitive game against the World Champions, when was the last time that happened? I'm certainly excited anyway. On the pitch a draw suits both parties so I'm sure it won't be a potential repeat of the drama of the Dutch game from a few years ago.

Yard of Pace
24/09/2009, 3:57 PM
If it was anyone other than Italy we were playing I'd say maybe not, but....;)

Derby County v Juventus, 1973:
It is a scene immortalised in The Damned United: Brian Clough loudly informing the Italian press he would not speak to "cheating --------". Clough's first European adventure was mortally wounded by a 3-1 defeat in Italy after Archie Gemmill and Roy McFarland were booked – ruling them out of the return, which Derby won 1-0 – and Juventus substitute Helmut Haller accompanied referee Gerhard Schulenburg to his dressing room at half-time.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/european/championsleague/5292028/Footballs-great-conspiracy-theories.html

tetsujin1979
24/09/2009, 4:22 PM
Will Croker be even half full?
half full? I'll be shocked if attendance is anything less than 60,000

Does this game mean ANYTHING to Italy?
Given their game against Cyprus on the following wednesday, probably not.

Will this game be a damp squib?
Depends on the Italians to be honest, I'd imagine they'll set out their stall to not lose the game.

OwlsFan
24/09/2009, 4:51 PM
we can still top the group. unlikely but you never know what could happen. every campaign theres at least one group that produces a set of mad results near the end to spring a surprise. did anyone really believe in 1987 that when we beat bulgaria 2 - 0 they would go on to lose to scotland and we would qualify??

Yes!!

jbyrne
24/09/2009, 5:02 PM
Yes!!

wish i could believe that! well, whats the prediction this time around??

geysir
24/09/2009, 5:21 PM
Do you believe that Owls really believed?

paul_oshea
24/09/2009, 5:53 PM
Or did you beleive they really beleived that this one would end all other ones.

Brian Boru
24/09/2009, 6:41 PM
I think we'll win this one and the Montenegro game too. There is a slight chance of Cyprus drawing against Italy. Therefor, there is still alot to play for. I think it'll be a sellout. C'mon you boys in green. Remember Trappatoni is lucky.

Irish_Praha
24/09/2009, 6:52 PM
I think we'll win this one and the Montenegro game too. There is a slight chance of Cyprus drawing against Italy. Therefor, there is still alot to play for. I think it'll be a sellout. C'mon you boys in green. Remember Trappatoni is lucky.

We can dream when the dream is still alive :)

If Ireland win the game it puts Italy under pressure to win against Cyprus.
They passed that test last time where they had get a result away to a Scottish side that had beaten France home and away. Who knows, on the day they might struggle against Cyprus but I doubth it. Even if we don't win the group it would be a great achievement to be in with a shout of winning it up until the final game, compared to being out of getting even 2nd place with 3 games to go in the last qualifiers.

If I have understood the seedings thread correctly there is still a slim chance of us making 2nd seeds for the next qualifiers but only if we win the next two games. So that is also something worth playing for.

CarrickFan
24/09/2009, 6:58 PM
will be very surprised if it is not sold out.

boovidge
24/09/2009, 7:15 PM
I just watch Ireland games. Don't really care who we're against.

SUB of the day
24/09/2009, 7:53 PM
Croker will be jammers.Italian FA have taken 1700 tickets, and will be in the Hogan side of the Hill, with a small gap for segregation, the rest of that end will be Paddys.These tickets are going onsale Friday 25th.Dead rubber with the current World champions, and every extended family member of every chipper in Dublin?....I don't think so!:D

Acornvilla
24/09/2009, 10:28 PM
It's Ireland playing a competitive game against the World Champions, when was the last time that happened? a few months back in bari!

OwlsFan
24/09/2009, 10:44 PM
Do you believe that Owls really believed?

I believed enough to take the day off work to watch the game. There's a saying: where there's life, there's hope. I suppose the better word would be hoped rather than believed.

I also hope that we can take the number one place in this group but I also fear we could lose both of our last two games. Our away performances by and large have been better than the home ones.

Jicked
24/09/2009, 10:56 PM
a few months back in bari!
Ha, indeed, but I meant at home what with the talk of half filled stadiums!

Crosby87
24/09/2009, 11:40 PM
I just watch Ireland games. Don't really care who we're against.

Well said!! And its not like they happen that often.
If we were out I would say it was boring but not now! There is much at stake, including future seeding. You all would be mad not to attend if financially feasible. Beating them puts a stamp on the Trap era and gives us some momentum heading into what will inevitably be a nightmare matchup such as Russia!:o

NeilMcD
24/09/2009, 11:49 PM
No such thing as a dead rubber of an ireland game and we can win the group and we can some second and we can come third, so how the hell is this a dead rubber at home to the world champions. Go back to bed and put away your spoon you clown.

Crosby87
25/09/2009, 12:05 AM
No such thing as a dead rubber of an ireland game and we can win the group and we can some second and we can come third, so how the hell is this a dead rubber at home to the world champions. Go back to bed and put away your spoon you clown.

Someone's came in off a session:D

youngirish
25/09/2009, 12:33 AM

Neil this is more like a post I'd do. Drink and post more often in future might liven the place up a bit.

mypost
25/09/2009, 3:43 AM
Italian FA have taken 1700 tickets, and will be in the Hogan side of the Hill, with a small gap for segregation

What do we need segregation for? The Italian FA said after their game in Bulgaria, that they won't be taking an allocation for their other away games.

Not that it will stop them though. With loads of them already here, they'll probably be in large areas of the home end, and the set up will be similiar to the Poland game.

Claret Murph
25/09/2009, 6:25 AM
Really some people on don't understand football at all . Dead Rubber is something that won't rub out your pencil marks .

OwlsFan
25/09/2009, 9:54 AM
Dead Rubber is something that won't rub out your pencil marks .

..or a used condom?

Stuttgart88
25/09/2009, 10:45 AM
An Ceannaire posts last week that his circle of mates would prefer an all-ireland win over a World Cup win.

This week he asks will Croker be anything more than half-full against Italy.

And yet everyone here falls for it, as if there's even a topic to be debated.

Murfinator
25/09/2009, 11:12 AM
Uncompetitive or not I'd go along just to see the great man Andrea Pirlo in action. :)

seanfhear
25/09/2009, 11:43 AM
Well lets just beat those World champions 1-0 then.

It won't do our players any harm to play against the World Champions.

Mad Moose
25/09/2009, 12:27 PM
Its my first international of the season having failed to make Sofia and so I'm not going to have the bubble of excitement that brings burst. I can't wait and I hope its an atmosphere and occasion to savour. 12th man and all that. A victory is very very possible here. That throws things open again going into our last game.

an_ceannaire
09/10/2009, 8:16 AM
the game is not even a sell out!! The Rugby can put MORE people in Croker for provincial games or games against mediocre oppsition, and we cant fill it against the world champions...... football really has fallen from its perch in ireland :(

lionelhutz
09/10/2009, 8:52 AM
the game is not even a sell out!! The Rugby can put MORE people in Croker for provincial games or games against mediocre oppsition, and we cant fill it against the world champions...... football really has fallen from its perch in ireland :(

yaawn

reder
09/10/2009, 9:16 AM
the game is not even a sell out!! The Rugby can put MORE people in Croker for provincial games or games against mediocre oppsition, and we cant fill it against the world champions......
:(

So! Sounds like you are more interested in seeing a crowd than supporting the team. In my opinion, the less event junkies that turn up, the better off we are.

paul_oshea
09/10/2009, 9:26 AM
yaawn

He is right though.

shakermaker1982
09/10/2009, 9:28 AM
I'd be amazed if we struggle to sell out Croke Park against the reigning world champions. One of the biggest Irish games since 2002 and the Montenegro game could be the biggest of them all since Spain.

Arnold Layne
09/10/2009, 9:32 AM
It is a struggle :confused:

noddy102
09/10/2009, 9:58 AM
Any indication of how many tickets have been sold?

Drumcondra 69er
09/10/2009, 10:11 AM
Any indication of how many tickets have been sold?

Somewhere over 70,000 so far. It's a bit of a farce selling them in pairs with Montenegro but financially I can see where they're coming from. Selling 70,000 tickets twice is better then selling 80,000 for Italy and 50,000 for Montenegro for example, at least €500,000 extra ticket reciepts there.

Very harsh on fans outside Dublin though especially with the 7.00 kick off on Wednesday.

Then again, how often does Croker sell out for the GAA or the rugby, games against Scotland and Italy in the rugby have been well below capacity in teh past and if the Dubs aren't in Croker in the GAA it sells out for the finals and that's about it.

noddy102
09/10/2009, 10:16 AM
So if over 70,000 tickets have been sold, why are we even discussing this as a problem?

Where else on Saturday will there be 70,000+ fans watching a UEFA qualifier?

gspain
09/10/2009, 10:20 AM
Then again, how often does Croker sell out for the GAA or the rugby, games against Scotland and Italy in the rugby have been well below capacity in teh past and if the Dubs aren't in Croker in the GAA it sells out for the finals and that's about it.

All the 6 nations games in Croke Park have been total sellouts incl Italy. I think Argentina was the only rugby game that didn't sellout.

All the Scotland rugby games in Dublin have been soldout for as long as I can recall. The early Italy games didn't but later ones in Lansdowne did.

I've been shocked at the number of people this week making arrangements to watch the game tomorrow in special places in Dublin (pubs and clubs). I've mentioned there are still tickets available but the pub seems more attractive.

Arnold Layne
09/10/2009, 10:25 AM
Where else on Saturday will there be 70,000+ fans watching a UEFA qualifier?

Moscow?

noddy102
09/10/2009, 10:29 AM
Moscow?

What is the population of Moscow and what is the population of Russia?
How many oil tycoons will be at the game?

Can people here at least show a bit of respect for reality and accept the fact that the FAI are a shower of w*nkers, ripping off the fans, and that achieving 70,000 at any international football match is an amazing achievement, whatever the country.

Drumcondra 69er
09/10/2009, 10:35 AM
All the 6 nations games in Croke Park have been total sellouts incl Italy. I think Argentina was the only rugby game that didn't sellout.

All the Scotland rugby games in Dublin have been soldout for as long as I can recall. The early Italy games didn't but later ones in Lansdowne did.

I've been shocked at the number of people this week making arrangements to watch the game tomorrow in special places in Dublin (pubs and clubs). I've mentioned there are still tickets available but the pub seems more attractive.

Bullsh1t mate, the only rugby game I was ever at was against Italy a couple of years back as I was given a freebie and Croker was nowhere near full. I've seen Scotland games on tv with loads of empty seats to boot.

geysir
09/10/2009, 10:36 AM
Latvia had a big enough game against Switzerland in September, they still had a live chance of qualifying, only 2,500 turned up to watch the game which ended in a hard earned draw for the Swiss.

Arnold Layne
09/10/2009, 10:49 AM
What is the population of Moscow and what is the population of Russia?
How many oil tycoons will be at the game?

Whats that got to do with your original question? :confused:

blobbyblob
09/10/2009, 10:49 AM
Croker is the only dead rubber on show - For soccer it simply scores a zero from a viewing, supporting or affordability perspective.

Ive been attending games since regularly since 98 and this is the first home game I'm missing in 6 years (bar Poland last year for the birth of my 3rd son) and Im not alone with missing this one with my block booking buddies.

The days of the south bucket are dead and gone. As I buy tickets for myself and one of my sons, I can no longer justify spending 300+ for tickets, transport, food, programmes and a couple of beers over three days. A luxury I just cant afford.

We talk about FIFA selling out. We have been sold out a long time ago. Football as John Delaney would tell you is a working class game that begins at grassroots level. I dont have to tell you that never in the last 20 years has Ireland been so crippled with debt and the working class are suffering most. But far be it from the FAI to ease the burden for those who support them week in week out.

From the time I've been in Croker, I could estimate that at least 40% of the crowd were as you say "event junkies" but thats not a problem - the more the merrier. But give me €20 bucket seats in a 100 year old stadium and 35,000 FANS singing their hearts out any day.

Enjoy the game!

endabob1
09/10/2009, 10:56 AM
Bullsh1t mate, the only rugby game I was ever at was against Italy a couple of years back as I was given a freebie and Croker was nowhere near full. I've seen Scotland games on tv with loads of empty seats to boot.

Attendances according to the IRFU;

http://www.irishrugby.ie/10735_105.php?includeref=292&season=2008-2009
http://www.irishrugby.ie/10735_105.php?includeref=292&season=2007-2008
http://www.irishrugby.ie/10735_105.php?includeref=292&season=2006-2007

lowest was 74,234 against the Scots (about 8k under capacity) which I assume is the game you are talking about, the likelihood is it was still actually a sell out but Corporates etc.. may not have been used.

Polster
09/10/2009, 11:05 AM
Agree on all points, this game is less important than all the games we have played up to this. We aren't going to win the group, bulgaria probably wont beat cyprus away, and if we need to beat montenagro at home and don't, we do not deserve to go any further.
Saying all that, I am very much looking forward to getting down to my local in N London for a good game, and expect a draw. I to am a block booker, but finances rule the day, so I am waiting to see how the play off draw goes, Paris here we come.

On the other point, I totally agree, sooner we get out of croker the better. I do love Croke Park. For me nothing beats championship day, Wexford valiantly rising above expectations on the hallowed turf, the county as one behind them. But I just don't feel at home there with the Soccer. Lansdown is our sacred ground for the football, and thank God we are going back there rather than tallaght or anywhere else.

My 6 year old son would have more marketing know how that that bunch of fools in the FAI. Maybe I'm wrong, but I rarely if ever see proper discounted tickets for children. They should be going in for five, ten euros tops. Get them involved, and you get the parent going to. We have struggled to fill croker for many games, and that is a disgrace when we could have done so much to make sure it was full and rocking.

So, here's to Pairs and sticking it to Platini, here's to a World Cup and a much needed shot in the arm for all the Irish, and here's to Lansdown, where I fully expect the old buzz to return, and draws turning into wins.

Come on you boys in green........

Polster
09/10/2009, 11:33 AM

lowest was 74,234 against the Scots (about 8k under capacity) which I assume is the game you are talking about, the likelihood is it was still actually a sell out but Corporates etc.. may not have been used.

At the end of the day football is always going to be more popular in Ireland than Rugby. You go to the parks or school fields at lunch time, what are kids playing, the majority are playing football. Rugby will nearly always get top attendances because you are guaranteed championship games every year, 6 nations etc, where every game is critical, like a final on its own merit.

Football is the working class game, from kids through to adult hood. Regardless of FAI ticketing policy, this will remain. Although they are still shooting themselves in the foot by forcing away loyal fans from attending games due to pricing. Its time the FAI started repaying all the loyalty fans have shown, especially over the last two decades. If we are to move forward we need full stadiums, kids able to go to games, the buzz and feel good factor back which will bring on the next keanos, duffers and dunnes.

Then we might be a little happier to hand over some hard earned cash and start a new legacy of Irish football to be proud of.

Under the current FAI setup, I fear we are at best stuck at this level of scant hope and low expectation for the considerable future.

gspain
09/10/2009, 12:49 PM

In 2008 Hill 16 was seated hence the lower capacity of 75,000.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-union/ireland-16-italy-11-dark-day-for-osullivan-as-ireland-stutter-to-ugly-victory-777457.html

The terraces were open in 2007 & 2009.

The Scotland game was totally soldout and tickets were tough to get. There were hundreds outside trying to get tickets for Wales.