PDA

View Full Version : Sligo Rovers V Shamrock Rovers Saturday 26th at 7.45pm

Pages : [1] 2 3

dong
23/09/2009, 8:23 PM
Shams game is always a special one for me. I've been gutted by our displays against them this season. Big chance to put it right and put some crucial points on the board.

Possible team:

Brush
Boco
Keane
Peers
Kendrick
Cash
Ventre
O Grady
Morrison
Blinks
Cretaro

I sincerely hope we've put the problems of earlier in the season behind us now. If any team can expose our weaknesses its's Shams. Twigg and Baker form a deadly partnership. Peersy will need to be on top form.

CarrickFan
23/09/2009, 9:44 PM
Shams game is always a special one for me. I've been gutted by our displays against them this season. Big chance to put it right and put some crucial points on the board.

Possible team:

Brush
Boco
Keane
Peers
Kendrick
Cash
Ventre
O Grady
Morrison
Blinks
Cretaro

I sincerely hope we've put the problems of earlier in the season behind us now. If any team can expose our weaknesses its's Shams. Twigg and Baker form a deadly partnership. Peersy will need to be on top form.

I agree it's defo a special fixture..prob my fav of the season...i didnt make Tallaght at the start of the season but was at the other 2 games and they were possibly 2 of our worst preformances of the season so i really hope the lads are up for this one..its a pity Doyle is missing it im sure he would have loved to play.

rovers100%
24/09/2009, 9:03 AM
i know im going off topic here but does anyone else notice how poor we are from throws. when we get a throw no one looks for the ball, i mean movement is non existent. all our throws go up the line to blinkhorn and end up back out across the line or kicked back down our end. likewise when opposing team geta throw we dont seem to pick up anybody and the opponents get all the time in the world. i know its a trivial point but it frustrates me so much when see it week in week out. as for shams match the weekend im hoping for a draw or a sneaky win. we are on a little run at the minute so hopefully we will keep it going. shams have been a real bogey team for us this year and we have not played well in any game against them this year so we are due a performance

CF1989
24/09/2009, 10:03 AM
id give marshall a start, he played well on saturday, better than morrison did. im a fan of morrison but wouldnt mind seeing marshall start, see what hes like again. very good going forward most of the time and we need to win

sligofan4ever
24/09/2009, 10:19 AM
id give marshall a start, he played well on saturday, better than morrison did. im a fan of morrison but wouldnt mind seeing marshall start, see what hes like again. very good going forward most of the time and we need to win

With Doyle suspended maybe Marshall and Morrison can both play. But I have a feeling Cook will opt for Cash instead, Marshall deserves a start though, he even does well when he comes on as a sub.

CF1989
24/09/2009, 10:20 AM
With Doyle suspended maybe Marshall and Morrison can both play. But I have a feeling Cook will opt for Cash instead, Marshall deserves a start though, he even does well when he comes on as a sub.

cash has been one of our better players in recent weeks. no way would i start anyone else on the right

sligofan4ever
24/09/2009, 10:34 AM
cash has been one of our better players in recent weeks. no way would i start anyone else on the right

Won't argue with you there, his work rate has been great since the Cup game against Derry. Its hard too rule out Morrison for right midfield aswell, when both he and Boco are playing at their best, their link up play is absolutly brilliant. But thats not too say Cash wouldn't do just as well when hes on form.

Rovers Maniac
24/09/2009, 10:55 AM
I think we can get something out of this for sure, should be a good crowd and atmosphere, we have not played at all this year against them, with us missing so many players the last day in Tolka. There is pressure will be on Shams to go top of the league with a win and take advantage of the fact Bohs are not playing, i think we can do them to be honest but it will take a major effort but the lads are capable of that.

red_away
24/09/2009, 11:47 AM
this would be a very, very, very very sweet 3 points if we could do it - we have a strong team and if the crowd get behind the boys there is no reason we cant give them a fright!!!!!!!!!

CF1989
24/09/2009, 12:46 PM
i agree red away, they'll be running here there and everywhere to get outa the place

Blowin_Rover
24/09/2009, 6:14 PM
I think Shams have a habit of throwing away leads in the second half of matches, they seem to do well in the first half but seem to hit a wall in the middle of the second half,if contained in the first half,I definately think we have a superb chance to take them and think Marshall could be the man with the legs to terrify thier defence in the latter stages,maybe start with Cash see how he gets on then give Deano a run at half time

Well Red
24/09/2009, 6:44 PM
One of the most important people on the pitch on Saturday will be the referee and in my opinion the refs lean towards Shams and Sligo have been on the receiving side a few times in recent matches with Shams. If baldy Winter turns up I will leave the Showgrounds as he is the pits and seems to have it in for our manager.

Rovers1
24/09/2009, 6:51 PM
If baldy Winter turns up I will leave the Showgrounds as he is the pits and seems to have it in for our manager.

It's Dave McKeon, just as bad IMO.

sligoman
24/09/2009, 7:26 PM
Big crowd of Shammy fans coming down according to their forum...hopefully we'll get a massive crowd, drown them out. If not, the players will be able to shut them up anyway with an early goal;).

roversforever
24/09/2009, 7:34 PM
Wouldn't start dean yet to be honest. I think some people here have gone a llittle bit over the top on him after the cork game. He's got potential and i think he could be a very good player for us next season but in my opinion he needs to bulk up a bit in the off season. I just don't think he's strong enough to cope week in week out in the league. His decision making isn't the best at times but that will come with experience. Definately a good option to have on the bench though,plenty of pace and not afraid to take players on. That's the role id see him in for the rest of the season. As for the shams game i think we can win this one...we beat bohs twice in recent weeks in the showgies so why shouldn't we beat shams!

Dixie Dean
24/09/2009, 9:14 PM
Its great to have options. Here we are arguing over which player is better but a few weeks ago we didnt have enough for the bench. I think we can win this, we are as strong as anyone at home.

dfx-
25/09/2009, 12:31 AM
I think Shams have a habit of throwing away leads in the second half of matches, they seem to do well in the first half but seem to hit a wall in the middle of the second half,if contained in the first half,I definately think we have a superb chance to take them and think Marshall could be the man with the legs to terrify thier defence in the latter stages,maybe start with Cash see how he gets on then give Deano a run at half time

On recent results, Sligo want to give us two goals early on and that's your best chance to win 3 or 4-2 ;)

Rovers Maniac
25/09/2009, 1:04 AM
I think the Shams lads think it's a matter of turning up some of the comments about stick 3 or 4 past us are laughable, esp now. They seem to be looking at their game v Bohs game more than this game.

CF1989
25/09/2009, 10:34 AM
they'll expect to win as they have done quite easily 3 times already this year, their fans are by a long way the cockiest in the league and think they're the dogs balx.

i think richie ryan done himself no harm against cork and showed people he has quality. i stil wouldn't want to split up that midfield pairing of ogrady and ventre, but he'll get his chance again in the next few weeks. lot of games coming up. id imagine camano will start on the bench and keane will come in at CB. we'l have to watch robinson running from midfield, baker dropping off and looking for the ball, and cut off the supply to twigg. im sure cooky has the lads well prepared anyways.

rovers100%
25/09/2009, 10:40 AM
well said cf , your spot on bout the dangers of shams we need to get tight and put in the effort and keep their top players quiet. if peers can pull off his usual heroics and ventre and o grady get the boot in we mite steal something.

dong
25/09/2009, 1:30 PM
well said cf , your spot on bout the dangers of shams we need to get tight and put in the effort and keep their top players quiet. if peers can pull off his usual heroics and ventre and o grady get the boot in we mite steal something.

That is pretty much what I was thinking. They have a seriously cocky crowd for obvious reasons this year but their memories are short. We have a decent record against them in the Showgrounds in recent years apart from this season.
They will be up for it. Their next two games could put them well ahead of Bohs. We must be up for it too. You could argue we have even more to play for.
I for one would love to see them **** themselves for a while anyways! And I'd still prefer to see Bohs win the league than those ferret heads.

Dixie Dean
25/09/2009, 2:59 PM
Traditionally we have seen shams as our biggest rivals but i would like to see them win the league, after we beat them of course. They are a well run club owned by fans, get great crowds and appear to live within their means unlike bohs. Like it or not they are the model club now and good luck to them.

sligofan4ever
25/09/2009, 3:02 PM
Traditionally we have seen shams as our biggest rivals but i would like to see them win the league, after we beat them of course. They are a well run club owned by fans, get great crowds and appear to live within their means unlike bohs. Like it or not they are the model club now and good luck to them.

And they also managed to successfully pull off a glamour fixture with Real Madrid, something all the people who atteneded may never experience in their lifetime again.

srfc1928
25/09/2009, 4:54 PM
I have great admiration for the way shams are run, particulary the commercial and marketing side of things i.e The Glenmalure Suite, season tickets and their merchandising. But aside all that, I absolutely hate them.

mypost
25/09/2009, 5:21 PM
One of the most important people on the pitch on Saturday will be the referee and in my opinion the refs lean towards Shams and Sligo have been on the receiving side a few times in recent matches with Shams.

Either you're joking, or want me to list off the injustices we've suffered against Sligo in recent years. I don't know which. ;)

CF1989
25/09/2009, 5:33 PM
please list them off....

rovers100%
25/09/2009, 6:19 PM
list em, list em, list em, go on be a rebel......................

avvenalaf
25/09/2009, 7:01 PM
list em, list em, list em, go on be a rebel......................

Yeah, I'm mad for the list too. Hope it includes John carpenter.

blackholesun
25/09/2009, 7:28 PM
I have great admiration for the way shams are run, particulary the commercial and marketing side of things i.e The Glenmalure Suite, season tickets and their merchandising. But aside all that, I absolutely hate them.

"keep your friends close, but your enemies even closer"

:cool:

bhs

Well Red
25/09/2009, 7:32 PM
Either you're joking, or want me to list off the injustices we've suffered against Sligo in recent years. I don't know which. ;)
I was never more serious in my life about refs favouring Shams, still remember the dreadful decisions that were made in your favour at Tolka in the Cup a year or so ago when we played you. Obviously you were not there or you would be be keeping your head down now. Can only be grateful that Bleak Winter is not in charge of this one although the appointed one seems to be no better. What I am saying is I want to see a cracking game between two good teams with no messing from the officials.

Nathan
25/09/2009, 7:57 PM
Is KO 7.45 or 8.00? Add in the ground last sat eve read 8:00...

sligofan4ever
25/09/2009, 7:58 PM
Is KO 7.45 or 8.00? Add in the ground last sat eve read 8:00...

7.45 like all our league games.

Rovers1
25/09/2009, 10:04 PM
Vital game this one. If we beat Shamrock and get result in Inchicore, we would be only 2 points behind Galway going into the game with them!

Come on Rovers!

CF1989
25/09/2009, 10:07 PM
would be delighted with 4 points from tomorrow and tuesday....

sligoman
25/09/2009, 10:10 PM
Vital game this one. If we beat Shamrock and get result in Inchicore, we would be only 2 points behind Galway going into the game with them!

Come on Rovers!You do know we're playing Cork before we're playing Pat's? Or are you just ruling out getting anything down in TC?

Rovers1
25/09/2009, 10:11 PM
Or are you just ruling out getting anything down in TC?

Im not expecting much in the way of 3 points from there....are you?

sligoman
25/09/2009, 10:19 PM
Im not expecting much in the way of 3 points from there....are you?Wouldn't rule it out. A draw isn't unrealistic anyway.

Rovers1
25/09/2009, 10:23 PM
Wouldn't rule it out. A draw isn't unrealistic anyway.

I only mentioned Pats and Galway becuase we're not going to reach Cork. We can reach Pats and Galway. Don't think it'd be the end of the world if we got nothing in Cork.

sligoman
25/09/2009, 10:35 PM
I only mentioned Pats and Galway becuase we're not going to reach Cork.We wont make the game?:confused: Can we play them in Limerick instead maybe, we might reach there.

CF1989
25/09/2009, 10:37 PM
go back to sleep moderator, he means in the league. college taking its tole?

Rovers1
25/09/2009, 10:39 PM
We wont make the game?:confused: Can we play them in Limerick instead maybe, we might reach there.

Your losing your touch.

sligoman
25/09/2009, 10:39 PM
go back to sleep moderator, he means in the league. college taking its tole?I assume you mean toll?

I know he means the league, just don't think he should be ruling out getting anything from Cork...it's not out of the question like.

Rovers1
25/09/2009, 10:40 PM
...it's not out of the question like.

What question? I missed the question.

Rovers1
25/09/2009, 10:41 PM
I assume you mean toll?

Look how her MODERATES!

My Hero!:)

sligoman
25/09/2009, 10:43 PM
What question? I missed the question.Eh ya didn't...you even replied to it
You do know we're playing Cork before we're playing Pat's? Or are you just ruling out getting anything down in TC?

Rovers1
25/09/2009, 10:44 PM
Eh ya didn't...you even replied to it

Wa-ter you on about?

bingoballs
26/09/2009, 6:06 AM
I only mentioned Pats and Galway becuase we're not going to reach Cork. We can reach Pats and Galway. Don't think it'd be the end of the world if we got nothing in Cork.
After watchin the pats v cork game last night i would be seriously disappointed if we got nothing from either game. Pats remind me of us at the start of the season, mot much in the way of ideas and not much desire or luck either. Cork are solid at the back but poor goin forward. They had one chance last night and they took, other then that, they were brutal. I would be happy with a point from tonight, as for the other two, bring them on.

MMVIII
26/09/2009, 12:30 PM
Would give anything for some sort of a result tonight. Love games like these. Big away support and should be a large home crowd too :)

Rory H
26/09/2009, 12:44 PM
Aye, not often we have to face such a big away support, good few on the 11am train this morning, they must like their early starts!

Should be great in the Jinks anyway, bring it on.

Really dislike Shamrock and we've been embarrassed by them three times this season. Hope we put in a good showing tonight.

sligofan4ever
26/09/2009, 1:11 PM
Aye, not often we have to face such a big away support, good few on the 11am train this morning, they must like their early starts!

Should be great in the Jinks anyway, bring it on.

Really dislike Shamrock and we've been embarrassed by them three times this season. Hope we put in a good showing tonight.

Understandable really. Look at the starting line-up against them in Tolka. I remember Blinkhorn and Turner playing but we were missing others like Raff,Peers,O'Grady (I think) etc... but now we are stronger since the transfer market and this is the best possible squad we could play against them all season bar Doyle who is suspended, we need to get revenge and go out and fight for a very valuable 3 points.