PDA

View Full Version : Ireland V Wales on Sunday

joeSoap
16/02/2004, 2:40 PM
Never thought I'd say it, but I'm really worried that Wales are gonna do us in Lansdowne on Sunday. At the mo, we're pure rubbish, plain and simple. I'd like to see Eddie O'Sneerivan play a side along the lines of this:D'Arcy; John Kelly,O'Driscoll, Maggs, Anthony Horgan: O'Gara, Stringer; Horan, Sheahan, Hayes: O'Connell, O'Callaghan: Costello, Easterby, Foley.
Munster bias....yeah yeah yeah.....they're all players in form...you can't argue with that, or their commitment....unlike some,Shane Horgan, Keith Gleeson and Mal O'Kelly to name but 3...

SÓC
16/02/2004, 2:51 PM
The Welsh reckon that we'll beat them.

I'd go with a similar team but I'd call up Shaune Payne. Hasnt put a foot wrong at full back all season.

Payne; D'Arcy,O'Driscoll, Maggs, Howe/Horgan: O'Gara, Stringer; Horan, Sheahan, Hayes: O'Connell, O'Callaghan: Costello, Easterby, Foley.

Howe didnt do much wrong against France, he just didnt have enough of the ball. Cant decided between him and Horgan. I wouldnt have Guy Easterby on the bench either, O'Meara should be playing with Ireland IMO.

The crucial decisions have that are to be made are to drop Corrigian and O'Kelly. I could live with little change in the backs.

Schumi
16/02/2004, 3:14 PM
Originally posted by SÓC
O'Meara should be playing with Ireland IMO. :eek: NO! He shouldn't even be getting his game with Leinster, never mind Ireland. I'd drop Howe, Dempsey, O'Kelly and maybe Foley and Gleeson. I hope Sheehan isn't called up, I thought he was poor when he came on.

tiktok
16/02/2004, 3:17 PM
The perceived Welsh improvement is based on their performances against England and NZ at the WC. They lost both games conceding a load of tries (7 against the All-Blacks). They have returned to playing some great attacking rugby but once Ireland hold a decent defensive line we should be OK. Where we might fall down is the bit of imagination to get behind them.
I reckon we'll win, but by virtue of O'Gara's penalty kicking.

SÓC
16/02/2004, 3:27 PM
Originally posted by Schumi
:eek: NO! He shouldn't even be getting his game with Leinster, never mind Ireland. I'd drop Howe, Dempsey, O'Kelly and maybe Foley and Gleeson. I hope Sheehan isn't called up, I thought he was poor when he came on.

Ok I havnt seen him play recently but pre World Cup I thought he was quite decent.

Dropping Foley just doesnt work. World cup against France. If you dropped Foley and Glesson who would you play? The Easter Bunny, Victor Costello and who? Wallace? At a strech you could play O'Callaghan there.

Maybe a back row of Foley, Easterby and Wallace might work.

Macy
16/02/2004, 3:27 PM
Easterby would be pushing for a starting place if it wasn't for the Stringer/ O'Gara combination.... Arguably Easterby offer's more options - he's certainly more likely to make the break himself than Stringer...

SÓC
16/02/2004, 3:41 PM
Originally posted by Macy
Easterby would be pushing for a starting place if it wasn't for the Stringer/ O'Gara combination.... Arguably Easterby offer's more options - he's certainly more likely to make the break himself than Stringer...

A yes remember when Wonderful Warren dropped Stringer for Easterby, what a success that was.

Schumi
17/02/2004, 10:58 AM
Guy Easterby isn't a realistic option at scrum half at international level; his passing just isn't good enough. Stringer is far from ideal as he never makes a break but there is no real alternative at the moment.

pete
17/02/2004, 12:09 PM
I think D'arcy will play at fullback. Gleeson would be dropped if Wallace wasn't doubtful.

Footie_Fan
17/02/2004, 6:08 PM
Persumably O'Driscoll is still out so my team would be:

1. Horan
2. Sheahan
3. Hayes
4. O'Callaghan
5. O'Connell
6. Easterby
7. Gleeson (just)
8. Foley
9. Stringer
10. O'Gara
11. Howe
12. Maggs
13. D'Arcy (O'Driscoll if fit)
14. Horgan
15. Dempsey (D'Arcy)

shinobi
17/02/2004, 6:46 PM
Johnny O Connor would be a lot closer to starting if dadn`t go to England IMO.

Rory Sherriff
18/02/2004, 11:04 AM
who can anyone seriously consider putting that cretonous creature Victor Costello on their Irish xv. He is slow, brainless on the field, and is noted for going missing when a game becomes tough. how many times did i see him come down to Limerick in the mid-90's coming up against less glamourous uncapped back-row names like Ger Earls and Mick Fitzgibbon and watches his game crumble when the big hits came in on him. He survived a few games at number 6 because he had Foley beside him to do the donkey work while he did what he done best: taking the ball into contact, even here his record of knocking on or holding on is abysmal. FOLEY FOR CAPTAIN AGAINST ENGLAND,WHEN HE BECOMES THE FIRST SHANNON MAN TO REACH 5O CAPS. on second thoughts its almost inevitable that Steady Eddie will drop him on his big day. Mumhan abú

tiktok
18/02/2004, 12:32 PM
from www.unison.ie

Ireland coach Eddie O'Sullivan has made two changes to his team for Sunday's Six Nations game against Wales at Lansdowne Road. Captain Brian O'Driscoll returns to the team in place of Kevin Maggs, while Donnacha O'Callaghan comes in at number four in place of Malcolm O'Kelly. O'Driscoll's return will be a welcome boost for the Irish, who missed his influential style during last Saturday's defeat to France in Paris. The Leinster centre hasn't played since injuring his hamstring in a Heineken Cup game against Sale in January.

Backs: Girvan Dempsey, Shane Horgan, Gordon D'Arcy, Brian O'Driscoll, Tyrone Howe, Ronan O'Gara, Peter Stringer.

Forwards: Reggie Corrigan, Shane Byrne, John Hayes, Donnacha O'Callaghan, Paul O'Connell, Simon Easterby, Keith Gleeson, Anthony Foley.

Schumi
18/02/2004, 12:44 PM
Maggs dropped?? That's a surprise!

I wonder will Horgan play in the centre with Darcy on the wing as they do for Leinster, I doubt it given the order they're listed there though.

Keeping Maggs and putting Darcy at full back instead of Dempsey as someone said above would have been a better option IMO. I don't know if Darcy and O'Driscoll will work so well together as they're a similar style of player.

tiktok
18/02/2004, 12:47 PM
Keeping Maggs and putting Darcy at full back .... would have been a better option IMO.

can't remember where i saw it but i someone recently wrote
"Girvan Dempsey must be wondering what he has to do to get dropped.":)

Macy
23/02/2004, 1:39 PM
Bit of a tatical fúck up in the centre eh? :)

tiktok
23/02/2004, 1:59 PM
D'arcy did well, although to be fair the Welsh were brutal. Won't get as much room against the england.

Dodge
23/02/2004, 2:07 PM
Of course England will have a tougher defence but having 2 centres who can vary the lines of attack has to be a good thing. Also thought Tyrone Howe had a great game defensively. Something we'll need in Twickenham

joeSoap
23/02/2004, 2:36 PM
Originally posted by RORY SHERRIFF
how many times did i see him come down to Limerick in the mid-90's coming up against less glamourous uncapped back-row names like Ger Earls and Mick Fitzgibbon and watches his game crumble when the big hits came in on him.
Mick Fitzgibbon won 4 caps for Ireland, he played throughout the 1992 5 Nations. Victor wouldn't have played against him in the AIL, thankfully for him because Fitzy was the hardest tackler to ever play rugby in the early nineties....poor Vic would still be crying today.Pity injury did Fitzy in the end. He was so versatile that Shannon used him as a centre in the epic 92 cup final win against Munsters.

Schumi
23/02/2004, 2:54 PM
I don't know if Darcy and O'Driscoll will work so well together as they're a similar style of player. Well so much for that! O'Driscoll was immense, best I've seen him play in ages (and that's saying soemthing!) and Darcy was quality too, hope the injury isn't bad. Defensively, there didn't seem to be any real weakness either so it could well be a long term solution.

tiktok
23/02/2004, 3:32 PM
.....and Darcy was quality too, hope the injury isn't bad.

apparently Donnacha O'Callaghan is the only injury concern going to the England game so i assume D'Arcy is ok.

Robinski
23/02/2004, 3:38 PM
I know I said I was disappointed at the lack of noise/atmosphere at the brazil match on Wednesday but I was back at Lansdowne Road on Saturday for the match against Wales and it worse.

Yeah it's great we won but there was no atmosphere at all. I think someone started singing once and some people joined in but that seemed to be it!

What's happening to us?

Dodge
23/02/2004, 4:19 PM
Originally posted by Robinski
What's happening to us?
There is no us. There's part time football fans and rugby fans. Neither are famed for creating atmosphere and both are completely separate from the other...

Footie_Fan
23/02/2004, 5:56 PM
Great performance from the two centres. O'Driscoll looked good at inside centre. He jinked out of tackles as opposed to Maggs who just takes the hit.

Crap atmosphere.

pete
25/02/2004, 10:04 AM
Would someone tell O'Driscoll to stop kicking the damn ball.

Rugby people are getting much more into the Munster/Leinster thing that primary importance is having players available for the province over the National team.

SÓC
25/02/2004, 10:17 AM
Its interesting tho how the national team "works".

The forward play we saw against Wales is exactly what Munster have being doing for years, while the back line is a Leinster dominated.

You could easily have the situation where 1-10 is Munster, 11-14 Leinster and 15 Leicester with Ireland's strongest XV;

Horan----Sheehan----Hayes
--O'Connell---O'Callaghan--
Wallace--Foley---Quinlan

---------Stringer--------
---------O'Gara----------
----------------O'Driscoll
-------------------------D'Arcy
Hickie-------------------------Horgan
-------------Murphy-----------------

That would be almost as strong a team as we have.