PDA

View Full Version : seasons assesment as of now

Acornvilla
20/09/2009, 7:09 PM
hey i was just wondering how fans feel their clubs Season has been going so fAr and what yopur hopes for the run in are?
For longford aslong as were ahead of Athlone by the end of the season im happy. But the season as a whole has been very dissapointing even with the decent cup run but i am very hopefull for next season cronin seems a good manager

blue til i die
20/09/2009, 7:11 PM
Absolutely delighted, so far, with such a small squad we have.

Won the Munster Senior Cup
Final of the EA Sports Cup
Semi Final of FAI Cup
Still in promotion race

If/when we get promoted, it'll be the most awesome season ever :D

Acornvilla
20/09/2009, 7:35 PM
Didnt know ye won the munster cup! good stuff!:D

Sam_Heggy
20/09/2009, 8:07 PM
We won 7 and drew 8 games in the League this season, what a bloody fantastic season we are having, i'm over the moon.

thischarmingman
20/09/2009, 8:44 PM
We won 7 and drew 8 games in the League this season, what a bloody fantastic season we are having, i'm over the moon.

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb243/pmunny_bucket/sarcdet.gif

Sam_Heggy
20/09/2009, 8:48 PM
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb243/pmunny_bucket/sarcdet.gif

Well we did just lose 5-0 at home for the first time since 1984 in the league. :o

thischarmingman
20/09/2009, 8:50 PM
Well we did just lose 5-0 at home for the first time since 1984 in the league. :o

Like Monty Python quotes and Blackadder insults, Simpson's pictures fall under the "Any excuse to post..." category. ;)

sheao
20/09/2009, 9:38 PM
Didnt know ye won the munster cup! good stuff!:D
We were beaten in that by Pike Rovers :eek: . Our season has been dominated by court hearings and winding up orders.
Overall it would be some achievement if we finished in a european spot.

stann
20/09/2009, 9:51 PM
We were beaten in that by Pike Rovers :eek: . Our season has been dominated by court hearings and winding up orders.
Overall it would be some achievement if we finished in a europan spot.

(sorry, it's sitting up just begging to be hit! :D)

That'll be the one with the ledge in it then...
http://www.icbe.org/pics/german_shelf_toilet.jpg

thischarmingman
20/09/2009, 10:00 PM
We've definitely underachieved. We lost for the first time in years in the League Cup. At the time we played a weakened side as the game was only a few days before we played Bohs at home in the league and beating them to stay in the title hunt then was a good exchange. Unfortunately our league form has been far too inconsistent.
It's infuriating because it's the exact same flaws as last season- when we're good we're very, very good, but it happens all too rarely and most of the time we just don't have a Plan B, let alone C, D or E when something isn't working on the pitch. If you want to win the league, you don't lose at home to teams like (with all due respect) Sligo, Dundalk and Drogheda.

The cup was very disappointing obviously. I still can't fathom how we managed to win 4-0 and then a few days later lose 1-0. Just a major blow to the season.

Getting through one round in Europe is the minimum expectation these days, for all sorts of reasons so thank God we managed that one. A bit of luck out in Bulgaria and it could have been a different story but given Sofia's European results since their match with us, I think we have to be happy holding them to a 1-1 draw. Even if they didn't play like it against us they are a top side.

PartySaint
20/09/2009, 10:32 PM
Crap!!!

Magicme
20/09/2009, 10:40 PM
If we can clinch 5th place I will be fairly happy with our season. We have had a great one off the pitch. Our new Astro pitch is bringing in some funds and helping unite the footballing community in Monaghan. We have 3 players who have caught the eye of English clubs, and one we sold last year has moved onwards and upwards so it gives us good hope for our youth system. Was great to see some of our other young hopefuls making debuts for the senior team in recent weeks and knowing there is more where that came from makes for a fairly healthy future.

Am thankful that our money worries are few and that we got as far as we did in the cup, so despite not being in line to finish in the top 4 were we would like to be, it has so far been a pretty good season.

Dunny
20/09/2009, 11:06 PM
Sorry for going of topic, but how is Shane Grimes doing for ye Magicme?

Magicme
20/09/2009, 11:14 PM
At first I couldnt see what the fuss about him was but he has really come into his own now and has been a trooper for us. Missed him badly when he was suspended recently and would be happy if he stayed with us for next year too.

mandrake
21/09/2009, 5:35 PM
as a drogs fan....glad were still around, and maybe we'll stay up. would be nice to beat dundalk at home this time.

dfx-
21/09/2009, 5:40 PM
Win the next game* to go top with 7 games left? I'll live with that.

*Disclaimer: It is at a ground Rovers don't like however.. (*sets it up*)

micls
21/09/2009, 5:45 PM
Overall it would be some achievement if we finished

Agreed :o

Our season has been a train wreck from the day we somehow got a license

gufc2000
21/09/2009, 6:19 PM
Very happy with the way we have punched above our weight. The main highlights have been beating Pats 4 times and the performance of our rookie gaffer Ian Foster. Obviously, our precarious position off the pitch and the pitiful crowds have been the real downers

Acornvilla
21/09/2009, 10:20 PM
aparently longford are doing much better finantially on the bright side!

Martinho II
22/09/2009, 6:16 PM
aparently longford are doing much better finantially on the bright side!

thats due to the performance of our supporters trust this year. I wasnt at the meeting but I heard that the trust has made serious progress on the long term debt this season..

Acornvilla
22/09/2009, 6:24 PM
yea? theres somthing about it on www.ltfc.ie (http://www.ltfc.ie) any figures released? they do great work in the background

A face
22/09/2009, 8:11 PM
yea? theres somthing about it on www.ltfc.ie (http://www.ltfc.ie) any figures released? they do great work in the background

Just had a look there and cant find that piece, do you have a link to that bit about the figures? Just interested given the progress of FORAS this year. I really do think that every LOI club needs to have a trust, and it'll really tell the difference between clubs as things get harder economically.

Keen2win
22/09/2009, 8:27 PM
Think he's referring to the piece on the Supporters club notes!

No figures.

http://www.ltfc.ie/news/article/?id=03824f95-c481-4dcd-9012-82f8713b3c18

Acornvilla
22/09/2009, 10:00 PM
thats the one! sorry i was asking if anybody knew figures

bluewater
23/09/2009, 9:21 AM
Absolutely delighted, so far, with such a small squad we have.

Won the Munster Senior Cup
Final of the EA Sports Cup
Semi Final of FAI Cup
Still in promotion race

If/when we get promoted, it'll be the most awesome season ever :D

Have to say I'm very proud of the job Henderson and the squad of players have done this year. Hopefully we can keep some of the large numbers that are joining us for the EA Final on saturday for the rest of the season. The lads deserve the support

Longfordian
23/09/2009, 11:07 AM

I heard the figures but I can't recall them exactly off the top of my head, from what I can recall over 200k has been knocked off the long term debt in about two or two and a half years through the Trust. They've been able to do deals with some creditors which has helped as they've established their credibility at this stage.

Acornvilla
23/09/2009, 4:05 PM
thats a lot of money how many are in the trust? i'd join only its somthing i really cant afford if i wana stay in collage but il make up for it when i'm rich!

Longfordian
23/09/2009, 4:10 PM
There's about 100 or so active members I think. It was higher but a good few have had to cancel which is understandable these days. It should be around for the long haul anyway with lots of worthy aims so there'll be lots of time to contribute.

Mr A
23/09/2009, 4:23 PM
thats a lot of money how many are in the trust? i'd join only its somthing i really cant afford if i wana stay in collage but il make up for it when i'm rich!

I don't see how your presence or otherwise in an artistic composition of materials and objects pasted over a surface affects your financial situation.

Unless of course being pasted to a surface means you can't get a job.

SkStu
23/09/2009, 6:53 PM
boom boom :D

Acornvilla
23/09/2009, 6:55 PM
i have a job actualy so blah!!

thischarmingman
23/09/2009, 7:09 PM
I don't see how your presence or otherwise in an artistic composition of materials and objects pasted over a surface affects your financial situation.

Unless of course being pasted to a surface means you can't get a job.

Well executed. ;)

Martinho II
23/09/2009, 7:14 PM

I was talking to Frank Murtagh at the match last night and the trust have reduced the amt owed to l.term crs to 130k. there are only 17 crs left. They have eliminated 320k of the longterm debt in two and a half yrs which is brill. When they first started the no of l.term crs was in the lower hundreds something around 200..

Acornvilla
23/09/2009, 7:50 PM
u just made my day with that! thanks:D

Martinho II
24/09/2009, 7:14 PM
u just made my day with that! thanks:D

no problem acornvilla.. i aim to please!:D

rovers100%
25/09/2009, 12:20 AM
its been a poor season at sligo for me, lot of hope going into the year with finishing 4th last year (albeit by default) but we got knocked out by pikeys from albania when they were very beatable. league form has been poor and confidence looked shattered until july transfer window. now with new sinings we look a bit more confident and best im hopin for is retaining premier div status and hopefully fai cup final. peers, raf and boco's performances have been the highlight. if we get some new midfielders next year we may push for top 4 spot again. roll on waterford and cup semi final it will be some atmosphere in the showgrounds that nite !!!!

CMcC
25/09/2009, 8:57 AM
There is no doubt Bohemians have underachieved this year so far. To be only 1 point ahead of Rovers this late in the season is dissapointing IMO. The weight of expectation all season from the first kick of the ball is massive pressure and this season they have not dealt with it as well as they might. However it must be hard to play with that pressure every week but they are being paid to do that.

Going out of the CL to Salzburg was extremely dissapointing - more so the way it happened. Prior to the tie I didnt fancy Bohs at all but their performance in Austria was absolutely top notch. Out Europeaning a European team if you like. In Dalyer, at the time I felt that Salzburg dominated them hence making any forward momentum virtually impossible. But reflecting on it and seeing it again I believe they didnt do themselves justice in that leg - much more cautious then they needed to be and defending way too deep all game. They lost out on an absolutely golden opportunity. One which I dont think will present itself to any Irish side for a long long time, if ever.

Cruising to 3 points in the first derby in Tallaght and throwing it away was also unacceptable.

Crowds have been a disaster for Bohs this season - extremely dissapointing given what they did on the pitch last season.

The Cup exit was also disappointing having got the home draw.

The sendings off and performances recently has been a nightmare too.

So on the pitch slightly disappointing so far - but that can be put right over the next 7 days.
As for off the pitch - Jesus, I wont even go there.

Acornvilla
27/09/2009, 8:32 PM
yeah if ye got past salzburg the whole year could be glossed over but now almost no matter what bohs do the season will feel somewhat a failure? did anyone see the article in the paper saying bohs will be full time next year for definate?

Youths4Ever
27/09/2009, 9:19 PM
Think it has been a good season so far high's of beating top 4 away from home and some other good results. Our home form has let us down but hopefully can build on that for next year and keep the squad of senior players we have at the moment.

To finish 5th would be a good achievement after only three years in the league and an improvement in home form next year who knows????

Acornvilla
27/09/2009, 10:45 PM
how did ye loose to athlone!?

Martinho II
28/09/2009, 10:28 AM

I am sure Ash or Battery Rover could answer for them!:D

Youths4Ever
28/09/2009, 10:55 AM

another aspect of our season I forgot to mention play really well in one game and lose the ability to string two passes together the next.

It was our worst performance all season and you tell Athlone players where probably after being on the receiving end of a severe talking to after letting in two goals against nine men the week before and to be honest only for Holden in the goal and some poor finishing from Athlone could have been 5 or 6 nil

Acornvilla
28/09/2009, 5:08 PM
i think it probably comes with wallaces relitave lack of managerial experience??