PDA

View Full Version : longford match

Acornvilla
20/09/2009, 7:05 PM
how do ye fancy your chances lads i know your preformances have improved but lasts weeks result must be a blow i'm still hoping ye have a miracle and go on a run but mabe after tuesday please! whats your team like?

davidatrb
21/09/2009, 1:17 PM
Kildare's team is pretty good. Current squad I would place ahead of Mervue, Longford, Athlone and Harps, but we have too many points to make up and the losing mentality to beat!

I would go for a draw or Kildare win on Tuesday.

Acornvilla
21/09/2009, 3:54 PM
longfords team is a lot better than where our leage position is at the minute if cronin was there from the start(which he should of been because he applied for the job and didnt get it) we would be easily mid table it will be a close game thou ye are easily better than mervue and athlone

Acornvilla
22/09/2009, 9:11 PM
well done lads hope ye can stay up

ATFC-1887
22/09/2009, 10:02 PM
Kildare's team is pretty good. Current squad I would place ahead of Mervue, Longford, Athlone and Harps, but we have too many points to make up and the losing mentality to beat!

I would go for a draw or Kildare win on Tuesday.

you would put your current squad ahead of a squad with the likes of franco gorgescu, noel mc gee, des hope, dave o connor, austin skelly, robbie benson, robbie hamm, etc??? all of them players would walk into the kildare team no disrespect

Acornvilla
22/09/2009, 10:22 PM
its really hard to tell which team is better because there so incocistant a team might look good on paper but be crap on the night

davidatrb
23/09/2009, 7:34 AM
you would put your current squad ahead of a squad with the likes of franco gorgescu, noel mc gee, des hope, dave o connor, austin skelly, robbie benson, robbie hamm, etc??? all of them players would walk into the kildare team no disrespect

Yes. That's what I said. Look back over the last 10 or so games. Kildare have 3 wins 2 draw = 11 points. Athlone have 5 draws = 5 points. Results are what matter - not names.

Logically, if we had the same squad and manager from the beginning of the season we would be well over 20 points at this stage.

I dont think you realise how much of a transformation has happened at Kildare since Thomas Donnelly left after the 5-1 defeat to Mons in match 10.

davidatrb
23/09/2009, 7:35 AM
well done lads hope ye can stay up

Thanks, hope you can stay up too ;)

Acornvilla
23/09/2009, 4:03 PM
ye have merve at home coming up dont ye?

Kildare Lad
23/09/2009, 6:59 PM
Yep in two weeks at home. A MUST win game if we are to have any chance of staying up, just looked through our remaining fixtures there and this is how i see it going for us.

U.C.D. Kildare County
Kildare County Mervue United
Limerick Kildare County Draw
Monaghan Utd. Kildare County
Kildare County Wexford Youths Draw
Waterford Utd Kildare County
Kildare County Shelbourne

Which would give us eight points. I think we would need to turn one of them draws into a win if we're to survive.

Acornvilla
23/09/2009, 7:47 PM
positive thinking all the way i cant see mervue winning anything anyway and sure ye might beat limrick and the youths as they have feck all ta play for and sure waterford might be wrecked from all the games and shells could be home and dry by then!

bluewhitearmy
23/09/2009, 8:01 PM

Think that will depend how we turn up on the night if we play the way we have the last 3 games or anywhere near as good as we can i cant see ye getting anything off us.

KildareFan
23/09/2009, 9:34 PM

With respect to those players, if they were are so good how come athlone are so near the bottom?

If Kildare had their current squad for the full season, I don't think there would be any danger of us finishing bottom. I'm sure Longford would say the same about Gareth Cronin though.

If we can stay up, I'd be pretty confident about next season. Joey Somerville has performed a minor miracle to even get us into contention to get off the bottom, it would be very interesting to see how we would do in a full season under him

Acornvilla
23/09/2009, 9:43 PM
agree totally!

KildareFan
23/09/2009, 9:49 PM
Yep in two weeks at home. A MUST win game if we are to have any chance of staying up, just looked through our remaining fixtures there and this is how i see it going for us.

U.C.D. Kildare County

Which would give us eight points. I think we would need to turn one of them draws into a win if we're to survive.

I think if we are to get off the bottom we have to win our home games against Mervue and Wexford. In our situation, the monaghan game is a must win too. I haven't been overly impressed by limerick in the games against us this season although i understand that they are inconsistent, i would hope that our greater need for points would see us get something in that game.

Also, don't write us out of the ucd, waterford and shels games just yet. We have pushed them all very close in recent weeks and as the season draws to a close, they are bound to start to get nervous, there are always a couple of shock results in the last few weeks of the season.

davidatrb
24/09/2009, 9:56 AM

U.C.D. Kildare County

In the same fixtures in the last round of games we picked up 7 points - beating Wexford and Mervue and drawing with Limerick. Not alot has changed for us in the meantime. I reckon 7 or 8 points would be about right.

I think to survive we really need to break one of the big teams, UCD, Shels or Waterford and pick up a win. It's possible. If only we could have held on to that 2 goal lead against Fingal.

KildareFan
24/09/2009, 4:37 PM
Can anybody who was at the game confirm the Kildare County substitutions?

The extra time report had Sean Geoghegan, Craig Purcell and Gavin Kinsella replacing Orrin Farrell, Cathal Brady and Darren O'Brien but I've heard since that only Craig Purcell and David Long came on, can anybody help out?

davidatrb
25/09/2009, 9:55 AM
The announcer named Sean Geoghegan but it was David Long that came on. Purcell and Kinsella came on too.

christo
25/09/2009, 1:00 PM

Gorgescu who played with Bray most of his career and then couldn't make it at shels?

And the rest who have spent the majority of their career at a poor Athlone side who up until recently we beat practically every match, I wouldn't exactly say they are the best players (although Benson is only new so I'll leave him out of it)

ATFC-1887
28/09/2009, 7:31 PM
With respect to those players, if they were are so good how come athlone are so near the bottom?

If Kildare had their current squad for the full season, I don't think there would be any danger of us finishing bottom. I'm sure Longford would say the same about Gareth Cronin though.

If we can stay up, I'd be pretty confident about next season. Joey Somerville has performed a minor miracle to even get us into contention to get off the bottom, it would be very interesting to see how we would do in a full season under him

most of them joined only a few weeks ago

Acornvilla
29/09/2009, 9:53 PM
yea hughes is a very good player how did ye manage to get him?

ATFC-1887
29/09/2009, 10:56 PM
look at the scoring charts and dat will tell you mcgee is much better

did we not beat you in the cup?

davidatrb
30/09/2009, 8:16 AM
look at the scoring charts and dat will tell you mcgee is much better

did we not beat you in the cup?

Yep, you beat us in the cup and twice in the league this season before our metamorphosis. So before this season you have only beaten us 5 times in a total of 31 league and cup games.

How many games has McGee played for yous?

I had a look at your transfers for July and yous seem to have made a few good deals. So that makes our draw with you all the more pleasing from a couple of weeks ago. I think with that in mind we can go on and beat teams like Wexford again, as you guys did last week. And go on to pick up points against the likes of Monaghan and Limerick.

Our big game is against Mervue now on Firday or Saturday, and I know we are a better team than them - but anything can happen on the day. If we win that I'd make our probability of staying up 50%. If we do finish bottom then I make our chances of winning the play off 66%.

Kildare Lad
30/09/2009, 4:03 PM
Does it really matter who is better lads? Not as if we're fierce rivals or both going head to head for silverware.

But I think the league table will suggest Athlone have a better side than we do, even if we have maybe tighted the gap since Somerville took over.

ATFC-1887
30/09/2009, 7:19 PM
right lads apologies.
i went a little overboard and got a little bit wound up
yous have a much better side than ye started with and i do like kildare.(hoping ye pull ahead of mervue) just whenever people say stuff bout athlone i get a bit defensive :o

anyways lads good luck for the rest of the season

Acornvilla
30/09/2009, 7:36 PM
now kiss and make up lads!