PDA

View Full Version : An All Ireland league

mickrev
16/02/2004, 12:58 PM
The guardian (http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,1563,1148561,00.html)

Schumi
16/02/2004, 1:02 PM
McCreadie criticised the northern media, particularly broadcasters, for failing to cover Irish League Soccer. He contrasted the short weekly soccer round-ups on Ulster Television every Sunday and the BBC on Monday evening with the coverage on southern Irish terrestrial channels.

'RTE has broadcast live games and has extensive highlights of League of Ireland games every week. TV3 meanwhile also has a round- up of southern soccer. Our broadcasters in the north should follow their example.' :rolleyes:

Macy
16/02/2004, 1:20 PM
When was the last time he watched RTE?

tiktok
16/02/2004, 1:22 PM
I hope the FMAI is more concerned with protecting their members than flogging this to us. Don't know where McCreadie gets his idea that the EL is well supported by the Media. If that's what the FMAI are basing their "excitement" on then it's misplaced.
What was good to see was they support a cross border cup competition to test the water, it would give us all a picture of the advantages and disadvantages of a cross border league. A regionalised first division is also a good idea, but it's still troublesome with respect to unbalanced relegation.

There are too many things working against it at least in the short term. An whatever about anything else, an eight team premier is idiotic, and the EL will never vote in a league that results in automatic relegation for six clubs.

Macy
16/02/2004, 1:26 PM
Whats McCue on about with an 8 team league? IMO we should be looking at a "premiership" of 18-20 teams, then with regional leagues feeding in, and 3pm Saturday Kick Offs (if nothing else it would reduce drinking time for problem matches).

That article also failed to mention the fact that we're playing to different calendars now as well...

dortie
16/02/2004, 1:48 PM
McCreadie rambles on at any given chance, thats his trademark. In all fairness UTV give pretty good coverage of the Irish league particularly on Monday evenings in their sports section. They dont get any live games however apart from the IFA cup final.

Both the Northern and Southern coverage of Irish football is pretty poor though. An all Ireland cup would create more televised interest but its a no-go with the bitter little twisted men within the IFA up here. They fear it could lead to an All Ireland football association and thats a step too far for their little statelet to take.

Duncan Gardner
16/02/2004, 5:59 PM
Originally posted by dortie
An all Ireland cup would create more televised interest but its a no-go with the bitter little twisted men within the IFA up here. They fear it could lead to an All Ireland football association and thats a step too far for their little statelet to take.

Though many IL fans (including myself) are in favour of it, as I'm sure Dortie would agree. There's little likelihood of it leading to an all-island league competition.

I didn't realise the IFA had declared Windsor Avenue an autonomous 'statelet'. Perhaps Dortie could tell us whether he thinks opposition to such a league is in itself bitter and twisted?

Red_terror
16/02/2004, 10:19 PM
I object to an all-ireland league due to the bitter and twisted people who run the i.f.a not because i am bitter and twisted and i suspect this is how most other city fans feel. Maybe Finn Harps could join your league as they would fit in well with the loyalist hoardes who attend portadown and linfield matches. I find it amazingly sad that teams are still not allowed to play on Sundays, this is an example of the attitude of the I.F.A. "football for everyone" my arse.

Duncan Gardner
17/02/2004, 10:00 AM
I am indeed a public critic of the IFA's uselessness- their public relations, finances and general administration are all very poor. I am also strongly in favour of clubs being allowed to play on Sundays, and I similarly supported Donegal Celtic's and Lurgan Celtic's admission to the IL when the IFA, Police and local authorities were dragging their heels.

None of this in itself makes the IFA bitter and twisted. Nor does what they did in 1973 (the 'Shamrock Rovers' match) have much bearing on the present. If anyone is suggesting they are sectarian bigots I would dispute it. Alas, for some people in NI, their mere existence makes them sectarian bigots...

Macy
17/02/2004, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Duncan Gardner
If anyone is suggesting they are sectarian bigots I would dispute it. Alas, for some people in NI, their mere existence makes them sectarian bigots...
No, both the IFA and FAI are small minded blazers, who are more concerned with holding on to their power trip than the good of football on the island..... Also, if people think that the problems secruity wise of all ireland competitions would only come from the unionist/loyalist teams they are delusional...