PDA

View Full Version : The defence

Condex
15/02/2004, 11:01 AM
Having watched a couple of games on TV yesterday with Irish defenders playing.

O'Shea - Played OK, poor though when it gets physical

Dunne - Not bad, but needs half the pitch to turn in

Breen - Got twisted inside out for the goal, no positional sense

Cunnigham - Great game - Excellent positioning

Those who didn't play yesterday

Finnan - Playing very well for Liverpool. not a great defender though

Carr - Playing well within himself for Spurs
Doherty - Been given a chance to establish himeslf in the Spurs
defence, also a good threat from set pieces

O'Brien - Regular for Newcastle

So from this I assume the defence to start against Brazil will be

Carr O' Brien Cunningham Finnan

NigeSausagepump
15/02/2004, 11:05 AM
Given Kerr's conservatism in picking his teams I'd be astounded if he starts with any other centre back pairing than Dunne and Cunningham. Just don't think he'd be willing to gamble with O'Brien from kick off. I'd also be surprised if he starts with Finnan on the left, although I agree it'd be interesting. Reckon he'll go with Carr Dunne Cunningham and O'Shea.

Beavis
15/02/2004, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Condex
Dunne - Not bad, but needs half the pitch to turn in

He was too easily skinned by Owen for Liverpool's first goal last Wednesday.I remember when he began with Everton I thought he was definitely going to be really good and great performances for us vs Holland and Portugal away reinforced this.He's been given every chance but doesn't hasn't been showering himself in glory over the last few years.

Breen was grand apart from the goal yesterday and I think he and Cunningham are still the best pairing.He's been playing very well for Sunderland this season and the crowd love him.He got the biggest cheer of all when the announcer read his name.:)

Declan_Michael
15/02/2004, 12:26 PM
Our problem is finding a partner for Cunningham.
All the solutions have their flaws. Dunne is very slow but deserves another chance. Breen does not inspire me with confidence but at least has the experience. Doherty is an option - although untested.

Alarm bells are ringing about O'Shea. I think most United supporters would admit their defence is poor at the moment. O'Shea inparticular is getting some stick.

fromthenorthffs
15/02/2004, 1:41 PM
but he is being played in a different position every week by Ferguson. He was at right back last week against Middlesborough, sometimes he is at left back, centreback, midfield, hes a centre back for my money and if it was me i would put him and O'Brian together in the middle and tell them thats how its gonna be until the world cup baring injuries. 2 players in the middle who know each others game are essential, and that pair can do that for ireland for the next 10 years

Condex
15/02/2004, 1:53 PM
Originally posted by Beavis

Breen was grand apart from the goal yesterday and I think he and Cunningham are still the best pairing.He's been playing very well for Sunderland this season and the crowd love him.He got the biggest cheer of all when the announcer read his name.:)

That may be so but playing against the top strikers in the premiership is a lot different to what you face in the 1st.

Breen has played in the premiership and hasn't done too well when up against quality forwards.

Beavis
15/02/2004, 6:08 PM
Originally posted by Condex

Breen has played in the premiership and hasn't done too well when up against quality forwards.

The fact is that he's rarely let us down and surely that is what counts.

Originallt posted by fromthenorthffs
i would put him and O'Brian together in the middle and tell them thats how its gonna be until the world cup baring injuries. 2 players in the middle who know each others game are essential, and that pair can do that for ireland for the next 10 years

You can't be serious man.Andy is much to shaky.He's decent backup but that's about it at the moment.As for O'Shea he,unlike Breen has yet to produce a great performance in the green and until his form comes around he shouldn't be considered.

We just really have to pray that Kenny has another few years in those legs.

liamon
16/02/2004, 8:19 AM
Originally posted by Beavis
As for O'Shea he,unlike Breen has yet to produce a great performance in the green and until his form comes around he shouldn't be considered.

I'm worried about O'Shea if he gets dropped. He's really struggling at the moment. I was at the Boro game and he didn't seem to want the ball. Couldn't pass and wouldn't even consider going forward like he used to. I think he needs some confidence and getting dropped by Kerr won't help. Especially when we're only facing friendlies for a few months. Let him play and he will come good again. But don't play him at centre half. Full back is his best position for now.

Cuningham and Breen have done well for us recently and I'd leave them together.

Finnan or Carr to complete the back 4.

John83
16/02/2004, 3:15 PM
O'Shea has looked shakey any time I've seen him in centre-half, ever since that Man U v Basle match in the CL, where Ferguson tried him in left-back after he got shreaded in the middle in the first half hour. If he plays, I hope it's not in the middle.

Man U fans are blaming Wes Brown for their defensive form, from what I've read, though obviously O'Shea isn't blameless.

Dunne is usually worth a shot, but he's going to struggle against a fast striker, and Ronaldo is anything but slow. That's why Owen turned him inside out in the Liverpool-City game.

O'Brien is the worst of the three, I think. He really fails to inspire confidence in me.

tiktok
16/02/2004, 3:51 PM
Originally posted by John83
O'Shea has looked shakey any time I've seen him in centre-half......If he plays, I hope it's not in the middle.

Dunne is usually worth a shot, but he's going to struggle against a slow striker, and Ronaldo is anything but slow. That's why Owen turned him inside out in the Liverpool-City game.

O'Brien is the worst of the three, I think. He really fails to inspire confidence in me.

O'Shea isn't aggressive enough for CB, but has to start LB.
Dunne isn't that slow, he showed a good turn of pace at times against Van Nistlerooy at the weekend, and Ronaldo will leave any of our boys for dead.
I think O'Brien is underrated, he's not there yet but he's improving all the time, and CB is a learned position, you get better with age, he's eventually going to be a strong starter for every Irish international.

John83
16/02/2004, 6:52 PM
I'd agree - O'Shea needs to learn how to attack the ball. None of the young defenders at Man U do really, and I think it's why they're so shaky.

Dunne did well against van Nistelrooy? The one who scored twice in that game? Van Nistelrooy isn't that fast anyway, certainly not by Ronaldo standards.

O'Shea's the fastest of the centre-halves we have available to us, but I don't want to see him in the middle. I can see some Brazilian turning him inside out.

tiktok
16/02/2004, 8:19 PM
Originally posted by John83
Dunne did well against van Nistelrooy?

didn't say that ;) . said he wasn't slow, in fact at times he showed a good turn of pace.

eirebhoy
17/02/2004, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by Declan_Michael
Dunne is very slow but deserves another chance.
Dunne is not slow, you assume is slow because of hi size. He is just as fast as any centre half in the premiership. He actually ran half the lenght of the pitch on Saturday, cought up with Giggs and got the ball off him.

This is a reply from a Man City fan on the BBC 606 board when asked is Dunne slow:

I've only seen him outpaced once this season - by Henry - so no. he has out paced the likes of Kewell, Heskey on a regular basis so is plenty quick enough. Those people dont watch the games and just see the size of his reduced rear end - he's justy a big bloke. He is probably one of our quickest, dont listen to those who dont go. He occasionally gets caught flat footed but is very rarely done for pace.

I wasn't one of Dunne's biggest admirers before but this season he has been City's best performer and constantly praised by Keegan and the City fans. If he doesn't deserve a chance now he never will.