PDA

View Full Version : Rare Ireland Jersey for Auction - Proceeds to FORAS

tiktok
17/09/2009, 11:09 AM
Freyne for FORAS

In July 1991, Cork City FC travelled to China to represent Ireland in the Shanghai Marlboro Cup. The competition consisted of two groups. Group A consisted on FC then Haag representing Holland, the Romanian Olympic Team and Shanghai. Group B consisted of the Olympic teams of Poland and China alongside Cork City.

As Cork City participated as an Irish representative side, a once-off Irish jersey incorporating the Cork City crest and sponsors Guinness was produced. Only two sets of player jerseys were prepared, making it among the rarest Cork City or Ireland jersey’s available, the shirts were never worn outside of the tournament games.

The jersey was generously donated to FORAS by Cork City Hall of Famer Patsy Freyne who remembered the competition fondly. “It was the trip of a lifetime. European trips are only three or four days, but it was over two weeks which is something that will probably never happen again. It was a chance of a lifetime and you don’t get chances like that in football. The Polish side that we played had got a 1-1 draw with Ireland in the European Championships a few months earlier I think. And we were playing the same side. It put everything in perspective.”

“The jerseys were once offs, that’s what makes them unique.” Freyne told Cork City’s ‘City Edition’ earlier this season, “Basically, because of the way the club is going, it’s the only reason I’d part with it”.

FORAS are extremely appreciative of Patsy's generosity in donating such a rare item and hope that the auction will be a huge success.
Patsy has also offered to sign the jersey for the winning bidder, if that is their preference.
Any questions can be forwarded to forastrust@gmail.com.

For details on FORAS, please go to www.forastrust.ie

We'll update with the eBay link later!
Photos of the jersey and the programme from the torunament are available here http://foot.ie/forums/showthread.php?p=1233807#post1233807

razor
17/09/2009, 11:47 AM
As Cork City participated as an Irish representative side,Don't you mean masqueraded. :D

As far as I can remember the Poles beat us 3-0 and the Chinese beat us 4-1.
I think Morley got our goal but I've been wrong before.

micls
17/09/2009, 9:20 PM
Fantastic gesture by a legend.

Hopefully it'l raise a decent amount.

yiddo
21/09/2009, 8:20 AM
Fantastic gesture by a legend.

Hopefully it'l raise a decent amount.

Looks like it will. Bidding now at 610 euro!

yiddo
27/09/2009, 10:31 AM
now at 650 euro. Finishes tonight!

sheao
27/09/2009, 8:47 PM
This jersey went for €850 .

A face
30/09/2009, 7:32 PM
This jersey went for €850 .

To be fair, that was a decent amount. Fair play to Patsy, he hasn't togged out in years and he is still playing a blinder.

atfconline
30/09/2009, 7:46 PM
The competition consisted of two groups. Group A consisted on FC then Haag representing Holland, the Romanian Olympic Team and Shanghai. Group B consisted of the Olympic teams of Poland and China alongside Cork City.

:) :)

tiktok
30/09/2009, 8:35 PM
:) :)

Well spotted, foiled by automated corrections :D

James
02/10/2009, 9:27 AM
tiktok OUT ;)

lovely jersey

yiddo
08/10/2009, 12:48 PM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y210/iwoto/IMG_0057vreduced.jpg