PDA

View Full Version : Rare Ireland Jersey for Auction - Proceeds to FORAS

tiktok
17/09/2009, 11:05 AM
Freyne for FORAS

In July 1991, Cork City FC travelled to China to represent Ireland in the Shanghai Marlboro Cup. The competition consisted of two groups. Group A consisted on FC then Haag representing Holland, the Romanian Olympic Team and Shanghai. Group B consisted of the Olympic teams of Poland and China alongside Cork City.

As Cork City participated as an Irish representative side, a once-off Irish jersey incorporating the Cork City crest and sponsors Guinness was produced. Only two sets of player jerseys were prepared, making it among the rarest Cork City or Ireland jersey’s available, the shirts were never worn outside of the tournament games.

The jersey was generously donated to FORAS by Cork City Hall of Famer Patsy Freyne who remembered the competition fondly. “It was the trip of a lifetime. European trips are only three or four days, but it was over two weeks which is something that will probably never happen again. It was a chance of a lifetime and you don’t get chances like that in football. The Polish side that we played had got a 1-1 draw with Ireland in the European Championships a few months earlier I think. And we were playing the same side. It put everything in perspective.”

“The jerseys were once offs, that’s what makes them unique.” Freyne told Cork City’s ‘City Edition’ earlier this season, “Basically, because of the way the club is going, it’s the only reason I’d part with it”.

FORAS are extremely appreciative of Patsy's generosity in donating such a rare item and hope that the auction will be a huge success.
Patsy has also offered to sign the jersey for the winning bidder, if that is their preference.
Any questions can be forwarded to forastrust@gmail.com.

For details on FORAS, please go to www.forastrust.ie

We'll update with the eBay link later!
The photos attached are of the jersey and the Programme cover for the tournament.

Stuttgart88
17/09/2009, 1:58 PM
I'm sure Emmet will be interested.

Leeside Swagger
17/09/2009, 8:00 PM
Been looking for this for years, savage stuff altogether.

gspain
18/09/2009, 8:02 AM
Is the programme for auction? It is a very rare programme.

tiktok
18/09/2009, 8:31 AM
http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270457927627

is the link to the item!

gspain, the programme images were scanned and supplied by a supporter as a visual aid to the item. I'll let him know that there would be interest in it, whether he'd part with it, I can't say.

gspain
18/09/2009, 10:38 AM
http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270457927627

is the link to the item!

gspain, the programme images were scanned and supplied by a supporter as a visual aid to the item. I'll let him know that there would be interest in it, whether he'd part with it, I can't say.

Good luck with the jersey.

I actually have the programme but got it at the time after pestering a few people. :D Very few came back and it is now a rare programme. Probably worth 100 euro particularly when the money is going to such a good cause.

Leeside Swagger
18/09/2009, 11:11 AM
This could top a grand at this rate, too rich for my blood already :(

danonion
19/09/2009, 8:31 AM
****s sake i hope somebody buys it because I don't want to spend 510 euros on it.

Predator
19/09/2009, 1:05 PM
That's really cool!

tiktok
23/09/2009, 10:09 AM
€610 already with a few days to go.
A few collectors had indicated we might get about €400 so it's a very pleasant surprise right now.

We were speaking with Patsy Freyne over the weekend, he's absolutely delighted with the interest in it and that it looks like raising so much for FORAS.

tiktok
26/09/2009, 11:08 PM
Bidding finishes tonight (Sunday) so less than 24 hours for those who might be waiting in the wings.

yiddo
27/09/2009, 10:32 AM
Bidding finishes tonight (Sunday) so less than 24 hours for those who might be waiting in the wings.

Now at 650 euro!

tiktok
27/09/2009, 10:19 PM
Patsy's jersey went for 830 Euro in the end, fantastic return on a brilliant item.
Just a note to say thanks to Adam and the Mods on here for allowing us to advertise it in the two sections, I've no doubt it helped us to reach more bidders.