PDA

View Full Version : Irish players on yellow cards

gwhite
16/09/2009, 7:03 PM
We have Given, Folan, McShane, Andrews, Whelan and McGeady carrying yellows. I can see Trap resting some of these against Montenegro to avoid any suspensions for the play-offs.

The Legend
16/09/2009, 7:46 PM
Ehm... only if Bulgaria lose their next match and we draw with Italy!

NeilMcD
16/09/2009, 7:48 PM
Only 3 of them are sure starters against Italy and Montenegro anyway. Whelan Andrews and Given and he wont do any resting if we dont win against Italy.

Acornvilla
16/09/2009, 8:10 PM
well mabey if both andrews and whelan get suspended then he might bloody give someone else a chance!!

Scram
13/10/2009, 11:59 AM
Apparently Shay is starting tomorrow.

Absolutely ludicrous to risk Shay getting booked in what is basically a friendly.

It’s VERY easy for a keeper to get booked for a hand trip in the box, handball outside the box etc., etc.

IF Shay picks up a booking, Trap should have a LOT of questions to answer.

noddy102
13/10/2009, 12:00 PM

Shut up.

If Given wants to play let him.
If Trap wants him to play, let him.

Trap cannot see into the future.

Razors left peg
13/10/2009, 12:04 PM
Apparently Shay is starting tomorrow.

Absolutely ludicrous to risk Shay getting booked in what is basically a friendly.

It’s VERY easy for a keeper to get booked for a hand trip in the box, handball outside the box etc., etc.

Its much less likely that he would be booked than one of the outfield players as long as he doesnt go mouthing off to the ref. Think Trap has already said something along those lines. I think though if it wasnt for his 100 cap he probably wouldnt play. I think its a good game to get that out of the way and let him and Kilbane enjoy the occasion of it rather than it being a small bit of a distraction when it comes to the playoffs. Im not suggesting that it would distract Shay in the build up to a playoff game but I think it would be better if the focus was 100% on the playoff game rather than the 100 cap thing being a little bit of a side issue.... Shay will probably start but dont be surprised if he is subbed at half time

Scram
13/10/2009, 12:08 PM
Its much less likely that he would be booked than one of the outfield players as long as he doesnt go mouthing off to the ref. Think Trap has already said something along those lines. I think though if it wasnt for his 100 cap he probably wouldnt play. I think its a good game to get that out of the way and let him and Kilbane enjoy the occasion of it rather than it being a small bit of a distraction when it comes to the playoffs. Im not suggesting that it would distract Shay in the build up to a playoff game but I think it would be better if the focus was 100% on the playoff game rather than the 100 cap thing being a little bit of a side issue.... Shay will probably start but dont be surprised if he is subbed at half time

"Less likely"....so what Trap? If he is not playing there will be zero likliehood.

A ludicrous decision regardless. Trap better hope he makes it to half time.

noddy102
13/10/2009, 12:11 PM
"Less likely"....so what Trap? If he is not playing there will be zero likliehood.

You are being ridiculous.

Let me ask you something. If you were about to go out for the rest of the day, but believed it was going to rain and because you had an important event later during the week, and were worried you might catch a cold if you went out, would you go out?

Grow a pair and stop picking at Trap. You are obviously the sort of person who looks for someone to blame, no matter what.

Razors left peg
13/10/2009, 12:14 PM

I think you seem to going out of your way to nit pick at things to give out about.We have just qualified for the playoffs which when the group was drawn everybody would have been delighed about so try be happy about that for a while instead off looking for every excuse to have a go at the manager. Shay has a number of games to play for Man City before the playoffs, should Trap insist he not play in case he gets injured too,better yet he shouldnt even train for them or us until kick off to avoid injury!!

Yard of Pace
13/10/2009, 12:16 PM
I think its a good game to get that out of the way and let him and Kilbane enjoy the occasion of it rather than it being a small bit of a distraction when it comes to the playoffs.

I think that's an excellent point.

How many times has Shay been booked in 99 games? He'll be careful tomorrow and will make it to half-time fine.

Closed Account 2
13/10/2009, 1:03 PM
I hope he does a Brady and lets him play 10 mins than subs him off. It's a significant risk to play any yellow carded players and even if Given didnt have a yellow I'd rest him anyway, any dodgy challenge by a keeper (and to a lesser extent center backs) runs a very high risk of getting a red nevermind a yellow. If a quick Montenegrian striker is one-on-one with Shay he only has to be a second late with diving at the strikers feet and he'll walk and we would then have a massive mountain to climb in the playoffs.

Also say we are 1-0 up in the last 10 mins and Shay takes a bit longer with a kick than usual he could easily pick up a yellow for timewasting.

Scram
13/10/2009, 1:36 PM
I think you seem to going out of your way to nit pick at things to give out about.We have just qualified for the playoffs which when the group was drawn everybody would have been delighed about so try be happy about that for a while instead off looking for every excuse to have a go at the manager. Shay has a number of games to play for Man City before the playoffs, should Trap insist he not play in case he gets injured too,better yet he shouldnt even train for them or us until kick off to avoid injury!!

Eh, no I'm not actually, what I was doing was making the point that it is ludicrous for Trap to let Given risk missing the play offs, the reason I made this point is because I think it is ludicrous for Trap to let Given risk missing the play offs..got it yet?

seanfhear
13/10/2009, 3:35 PM
Its as well to get these 100 caps done and dusted in this game.

There is going to be enough hype and hoopla around the first play-off match without these the extra hype around 100 caps.

I am delighted that these two top men are going to make 100 caps and am even happier that it is going to be at this game.

carloz
13/10/2009, 3:45 PM
Can't understand why the yellow cards are carried onto the playoffs. These are extra matches after the qualifying group. Should be a clean slate going into them/ Lets pray that Arshavin, Ronaldo and Ribery all lose the run of themselves and get sent off tomorrow night

Greenbod
13/10/2009, 3:50 PM
In my opinion it is stupid to risk Shay missing a play off game.

Playing him in the Montenegro game is a risk, and regardless how small, is stupid. There is nothing to gain by playing him.

DeLorean
13/10/2009, 3:59 PM
In relation to the players on yellows.....

.....if they play tomorrow night they have 90 minutes to pick up a booking and miss the First Leg

OR

.....if they don't play tomorrow night they have 90 minutes to pick up a booking and miss the Second Leg

I suppose the only real difference is it's worth the risk in the First Leg of the playoff and not so much tomorrow night??

Kingdom
13/10/2009, 4:00 PM
Is it the suspension that would carry into the play offs or is it the yellow cards also?

I mean do the yellow cards these lads have carry on into the play off first leg, meaning a possible suspension in the second leg?

noddy102
13/10/2009, 4:12 PM
Can't understand why the yellow cards are carried onto the playoffs. These are extra matches after the qualifying group. Should be a clean slate going into them/ Lets pray that Arshavin, Ronaldo and Ribery all lose the run of themselves and get sent off tomorrow night

That would be some feat if Ronaldo achieved that, considering he's injured.

seanfhear
13/10/2009, 4:18 PM
That would be some feat if Ronaldo achieved that, considering he's injured.
I remember one Argentinean getting booked on the subs bench but an injured player that may or may not be at the match would be pushing it alright.

Stuttgart88
13/10/2009, 4:25 PM
Is it the suspension that would carry into the play offs or is it the yellow cards also?

I mean do the yellow cards these lads have carry on into the play off first leg, meaning a possible suspension in the second leg?I'd have hoped they'd be wiped if no second yellow was picked up in the last group game.

Robbie Keane picked up a second yellow in the home play off against Turkey in 99, ruling him out of the away leg. His first yellow was daft: in the very first game at home to Croatia(?) in Sept 98 the ball had gone dead and he was frustrated. He kicked the ball into the ad hoarding in such a way that it rebounded back to exactly where the free to Croatia should have been taken, but was booked for the petulance of the act. He went 10 games without another yellow and yet still got a suspension. In my mind it made a mockery of the rule. If anything the length of time between the two bookings it proved that he was not a serial offender. They should be wiped after 3 or 4 full games in my opinion, though because of substitutions etc. finding a wording for the rule might be tricky.

Scram
13/10/2009, 4:52 PM
In relation to the players on yellows.....

.....if they play tomorrow night they have 90 minutes to pick up a booking and miss the First Leg

OR

.....if they don't play tomorrow night they have 90 minutes to pick up a booking and miss the Second Leg

I suppose the only real difference is it's worth the risk in the First Leg of the playoff and not so much tomorrow night??

Agree that, but also agree that the slate should be wiped clean for the paly offs, but there are plenty arguments against this in that it is still "qualification"

Scram
15/10/2009, 7:30 AM
Well, thankfully Shay got through that. Unfortuantely, Martin Rowlands was booked :rolleyes:

endabob1
15/10/2009, 7:53 AM
Agree that, but also agree that the slate should be wiped clean for the paly offs, but there are plenty arguments against this in that it is still "qualification"

They changed the rules when they introduced Seeding, as far as I'm concerned this is a new competition, otherwise you would have just continued on with 8 teams in one pot.

geysir
15/10/2009, 8:57 AM
Last night on RTE, Bill said that yellow cards picked up in the group games will be expunged going into the play offs.

I don't know if that is more or less credible than quoting the BBC transfer rumours.

DeLorean
15/10/2009, 9:05 AM
Yeah that's no harm anyway. We'll be at full strength for the 2nd Leg barring a red card in the 1st, or injuries obviously.