PDA

View Full Version : Promotion from the A Championship

Pages : [1] 2 3

London-Irish
16/09/2009, 1:55 PM
What is the latest on this? If Salthill Devon win their division, will they have to go into a play-off like Mervue did last year?

Sam_Heggy
16/09/2009, 2:25 PM
What is the latest on this? If Salthill Devon win their division, will they have to go into a play-off like Mervue did last year?

Yeah they will play the bottom placed First Division side in a two legged play off.
On that point, it will be a horrible scenario if Salthill Devon get promoted at Kildares expence leaving 3 Galway sides in LOI Senior football. Nothing against Salthill but One team in Galway is enough, as Mervue have shown. Mervue have crowds of no more than 100 per home game and in fairness, most of those are Galway United fans from what I can gather.

Dillonman
16/09/2009, 4:17 PM
Yeah they will play the bottom placed First Division side in a two legged play off.
On that point, it will be a horrible scenario if Salthill Devon get promoted at Kildares expence leaving 3 Galway sides in LOI Senior football. Nothing against Salthill but One team in Galway is enough, as Mervue have shown. Mervue have crowds of no more than 100 per home game and in fairness, most of those are Galway United fans from what I can gather.

And how many are Kildare getting a game?!

Sam_Heggy
16/09/2009, 4:54 PM

They are currently doing up a fancy DVD to show in the Town centre to entise the locals to come out.

Acornvilla
16/09/2009, 7:51 PM
what about whoever tops the other section??

Ezeikial
16/09/2009, 11:17 PM

Even if Kildare are currently getting very poor crowds (to go along with poor results), at least there is a prospect, however small or distant, of them gradually attracting more support from a fairly sizeable hinterland. On the other hand you can hardly hold out that hope in the case of Salthill-Devon joining Galway and Mervue in the scramble for scarce fans in the Galway area.

Martinho II
17/09/2009, 9:52 AM
what about whoever tops the other section??

isnt it the team that finishes higher of the non loi teams in the two divisions that play the bottom side in Division one.?

culloty82
17/09/2009, 10:12 AM
As Kerry's Eye say today, unless Salthill slip to second, they'll play Kildare.

http://www.kerryseye.com

eamo1
17/09/2009, 12:54 PM
If Salthill converted one of their pitches in Drom to a decent standard and played their games there then they get half decent crowds.Or if they used Millers Lane and upgraded that pitch they might also get a decent crowd.If however they come across the city and play in Terryland then they will get very poor crowds.Surely they cant use Terryland aswell,that would be 3 teams using it aswell as LOADS of local matches that take place there.

number16
17/09/2009, 1:09 PM
eamo1, I think the pitches at drom are of a decent standard (they have floodlights installed on pitch 3 and the surface is as good as any. The issue would be lack of covered facilities and access control, but I agree if they played at Drom the crowds would develop over time.
www.salthilldevon.ie/dromphotos

Acornvilla
17/09/2009, 3:59 PM
i know this wont happen this year but what happens if two non loi teams win their devisions??

17/09/2009, 7:13 PM
i know this wont happen this year but what happens if two non loi teams win their devisions??They play-off and the winner plays the bottom first division team, with the winner getting a place in the first division.

Acornvilla
17/09/2009, 8:02 PM
Aha thank you sir i taght as much!

Scrufil
17/09/2009, 10:27 PM
So its alright for Dublin to have loads of LOI teams but not Galway? What a load of rubbish. What Galway needs is a forth team in the LOI. There would a lot less travelling for Derby matches and the local v local aspect would actually create nice crowds and a good buzz. Dublin sides playing Dublin sides do not realise actually how much extra dough they have by having so little travel against one another and the potential to get good gates by virture of short distances between venues. Perhaps Galway may be emerging as a new powerhouse of soccer on this island?

Big Ears
17/09/2009, 11:10 PM
So its alright for Dublin to have loads of LOI teams but not Galway? What a load of rubbish. What Galway needs is a forth team in the LOI. There would a lot less travelling for Derby matches and the local v local aspect would actually create nice crowds and a good buzz. Dublin sides playing Dublin sides do not realise actually how much extra dough they have by having so little travel against one another and the potential to get good gates by virture of short distances between venues. Perhaps Galway may be emerging as a new powerhouse of soccer on this island?

To be fair Dublin is a hell of a lot bigger than Galway. Tallaght alone is nearly the size of Galway City.

3 LOI clubs in Galway itself would just be too much imo. Afterall there's currently only 3 Munster teams in the LOI !

dcfcsteve
17/09/2009, 11:24 PM

I can only asume that this was written with tongue firmly in cheek.

It's bad enough having two clubs in Galway who both play in the same colours at the same ground and are both called 'United' :eek: Just think how ruibbish a derby it would be if the two sides ever actually met competitively - two sets of fans in the same colours, both technically at home and both cheering on United.

At least Salthil don't also play in maroon and call themselves United. Small mercies...

WexCar
18/09/2009, 12:28 AM
well if Galway United ever fold/get wound up (or whatever) then they have a ready made replacement or 2 already in the league. Nice easy transition for the fans :D

Acornvilla
18/09/2009, 12:45 AM
that logic what we need is a second team from longford!:D

Gaillimh Al
18/09/2009, 8:40 AM
Mervue would regularly get crowds of 200-300 (similar to Limerick, UCD and others) if they were playing on their own ground in Fahy's Field.

Devon have played in the FAI Cup in recent years in Drom and the crowd was very poor considering. While the club is doing great work to foster underage talent, they have never had a big following outside of those directly involved with the club.

These two clubs were pretty much forced into LOI by the fact that they were so dominant at underage level and were then only able to offer Junior football to these players who would more than likely drift away from the club.

Ash
18/09/2009, 9:06 AM
Any more fuel to the rumours that Mervue are going to step back out of the League at the end of the season?

Mr A
18/09/2009, 10:13 AM
I've heard rumours that there will be more clubs than just Mervue pulling out... but they remain just rumours, nothing concrete.

Ash
18/09/2009, 10:14 AM
Kildare players on €2,000 a man to stay up! (apparently)

eamo1
18/09/2009, 10:31 AM
In reply to "number16",what i meant by decent standard was that if it had a stand on at least one side or at least a terrace on the other.I know the pitch surfaces up there are top class and top class dressing rooms too.It was the lack of spectator facilities i was referring to for LOI standards.

Larks
18/09/2009, 11:57 AM

What do you mean apparently. Did you hear this from the horses mouth or not?

Sam_Heggy
18/09/2009, 12:06 PM
What do you mean apparently. Did you hear this from the horses mouth or not?

Don't be silly Horses don't speak

Acornvilla
18/09/2009, 12:06 PM
I've heard rumours that there will be more clubs than just Mervue pulling out... but they remain just rumours, nothing concrete.

any clubs in particular??

galwayhoop
18/09/2009, 12:59 PM

are you sure ???? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_PZPpWTRTU&feature=related)

thischarmingman
18/09/2009, 1:45 PM

...and neither do sheep, eh? ;)

Sam_Heggy
18/09/2009, 2:38 PM
...and neither do sheep, eh? ;)

Nope, they are the perfect lover, sure ye lot should know that, ye fantasise enough about them :D

dcfcsteve
18/09/2009, 5:40 PM
Nope, they are the perfect lover, sure ye lot should know that, ye fantasise enough about them :D

Is this some sort of parallel universe where Ballybofey is one of Ireland's biggest cities, and Derry is a banjo-playing one-horse town who's inhabitants drive tractors and have an ungodly interest in farm animals....?! :eek:

;)

Sam_Heggy
18/09/2009, 6:44 PM
Is this some sort of parallel universe where Ballybofey is one of Ireland's biggest cities, and Derry is a banjo-playing one-horse town who's inhabitants drive tractors and have an ungodly interest in farm animals....?! :eek:

;)

Whatever your problems with Harps and Sheep are, please leave the Banjo's out of it, they rock. :cool:
And yes, it's a parrellel universe where Derry submit accurate and thourough end of season accounts and the Brandywell doesn't stink of Dog sh!te.

Scrufil
22/09/2009, 10:34 PM
I can only asume that this was written with tongue firmly in cheek.

It's bad enough having two clubs in Galway who both play in the same colours at the same ground and are both called 'United' :eek: Just think how ruibbish a derby it would be if the two sides ever actually met competitively - two sets of fans in the same colours, both technically at home and both cheering on United.

At least Salthil don't also play in maroon and call themselves United. Small mercies...

Well what other city outside of Dublin is producing good football sides? Is there a Derry Londonites or Stroke City Grannies that we should know about. And get away out of that slagging the team colours when ye look like a bunch of barbers poles gone wrong! ;)

Acornvilla
22/09/2009, 10:38 PM
ye look like a bunch of barbers poles gone wrong! ;)
hahahaha:D

holidaysong
22/09/2009, 10:44 PM
It might not be too late for Kildare County to avoid the relegation playoff, they're only 7 points behind Mervue and Longford now after their win tonight.. Could the €2,000 a man have something to do with it..?

A Mervue vs. Salthill playoff would be interesting..

Kildareman
23/09/2009, 12:06 AM
From what I know thats absolute rubbish.

Whats your source??
Is it a friend of a friend down the pub.............

Sunny Jim
23/09/2009, 7:17 AM
Looks to me like Kildare will stay up by getting ahead of Mervue. Kildare are much improved and Mervue are sliding alarmingly. Saturday week's game between the two in Kildare looks very interesting now.

Kildareman
23/09/2009, 11:24 AM
Countys survival hopes are very slim as we need 8 points from 8 games and hope that Longford and/or Mervue go pointless.
Put it this way, we're not going to survive on goal difference !!!!

pineapple stu
23/09/2009, 11:27 AM
But if you're on a good run of form, you'd fancy your chances against Salthill. This time lat year, youz were going downhill; form makes a big difference going into a play-off.

Kildareman
23/09/2009, 11:36 AM
Very true Stu. The squad is stronger and has more quality than this time last year.
3 points on Friday would really help as well...;)

roinuj
23/09/2009, 11:57 AM
was at the mervue v waterford game in terryland a few weeks ago and the offical att was 37.
the last thing the league needs is another team from galway.
with the exception of dublin i think all other counties should only be allowed 1 team in the eircom league.

passerrby
23/09/2009, 12:57 PM
was at the merve v mon game last week and mons had seven of there first team out so put in a few under 20s and a couple of under 18s was expecting a tough game but was surprised at how poor merve was. I cant see them winning any more games

Kildare Lad
23/09/2009, 6:47 PM
Hopefully we can catch Mervue anyway, we look like we're improving as the season goes on so if we could get a few more points out of our last few games and avoid a play-off I would be delighted. If we dont beat Mervue though I would imagine thats our chances gone.

Martinho II
23/09/2009, 7:16 PM
Looks to me like Kildare will stay up by getting ahead of Mervue. Kildare are much improved and Mervue are sliding alarmingly. Saturday week's game between the two in Kildare looks very interesting now.

so is Longford town sunny jim.. If things dont pick up FAST Kildare Co will deservedly finish ahead of us..:(

holidaysong
23/09/2009, 8:23 PM
with the exception of dublin i think all other counties should only be allowed 1 team in the eircom league.

So either Dundalk or Drogheda Utd should be kicked out? :rolleyes:

Ezeikial
23/09/2009, 8:40 PM

Drogheda could always reinstate their plans to move to Co Meath!

gufc2000
23/09/2009, 9:36 PM
I can't see Mervue pulling out anyway. If they retain their status, I'd expect them to play in the LOI First Division 2010. They are pressing ahead with plans to develop Fahy's Field into a stadium that is LOI standard requirement

Sam_Heggy
23/09/2009, 10:00 PM

No, sure he said with the exception of Dublin clubs.

holidaysong
23/09/2009, 10:14 PM
Believe me, Dundalk and Drogheda are nothing like Dublin..

SkStu
23/09/2009, 10:23 PM
Believe me, Dundalk and Drogheda are nothing like Dublin..

well said HS.

Dublin is civilised.

:D:D

number16
24/09/2009, 11:20 PM
Salthill will accept a place in the First if they defeat Kildare in the play offs.
Not sure galway will like it, seeing as they are the main promoter of the 16 team league?