PDA

View Full Version : Bray, Waterford, Sligo or Fingal for the cup

Pages : [1] 2 3

roinuj
16/09/2009, 12:06 AM
i think sligo are probably the bookies favs but think waterford will do it (i hope):cool:

anyone?

TheBoss
16/09/2009, 12:10 AM
One thing is for sure, one of them will be the Europa League 2nd Qualifying Round next season.

superfrank
16/09/2009, 12:15 AM
Depends on the draw, from our point of view.

Anyone at home and I'd be confident of making it to the final. We've beaten Sligo at home a few times since they came up and we haven't lost to them. I think we beat Fingal in a pre-season friendly at home this year and I wasn't too impressed with them. I honestly don't have a clue about Waterford but, at home, I'd be confident we could beat them.

If we're drawn away, I wouldn't be confident of getting through.

roinuj
16/09/2009, 12:21 AM
waterford only conceded 12 goals in 24 games so far this season.
best back line in the country by a mile.

come on ye blues.

SPXcyan
16/09/2009, 12:28 AM
I wouldn't say the best buth with Fletch and Murray at the back.. super defence XD anyone at home please ^^ away and id be a little worried but a 2-0 win at pats.. anythin could happen ^^

roinuj
16/09/2009, 12:31 AM
I wouldn't say the best buth with Fletch and Murray at the back.. super defence XD anyone at home please ^^ away and id be a little worried but a 2-0 win at pats.. anythin could happen ^^

name a better back line then spy ?

happy days are here again
come on ye mighty blues ;)

thedoyler
16/09/2009, 12:40 AM
Would take anyone home or away to be honest. I have seen us on our day go to Bohs and Rovers and win. I think all the teams left are fairly equal and home advantage wont be a huge difference as displayed by fingal and waterford winning away tonight. Gonna be interesting, either us, waterford or sligo lifting their 3rd cup or fingal their first. I thin we'll do it, devo back to guide us to cup glory!

SPXcyan
16/09/2009, 12:40 AM
name a better back line then spy ?

happy days are here again
come on ye mighty blues ;)

im sorry im too tired to think.. ^^

mon blues XD

dcfcsteve
16/09/2009, 12:49 AM
Crazy set of results tonight ! Bar Bray, I don't think anyone woiuld have predicted those outcomes.

Sligo look good for it, but there's no reason why Fingal or possibly Bray couldn't do it.

I'm a bit disappointed that the chnace of a big-draw final like Bohs-Rovers is gone. Tempered though by my delight that our treble record remains for another year..... :D

SkStu
16/09/2009, 1:06 AM
despite dublinreds bizarre outburst in another thread, i still hope that Sligo win it.

rovers100%
16/09/2009, 1:45 AM
if ya seen how we beat cork,derry and bohs you would put your house on sligo winning the cup cos how we won them games im still trying to figure out................i put it down to the man in the sky, johnny chadda. he must be smiling down on us. truthfully i dont think any of the 4 teams really fear each other so should make for great semi's. its all about th draw and home advantage will be as good as a goal start for the home side. at least none of the big 4 are left so football should win out as teams will not go into games fearful of defeat cos they are big underdogs and should see some good old fashion cup games with plenty of action. i hope sligo win it as we have had a poor season and we are better than the way we played this year. come on the bit o red !!!:D

Buile Shuibhne
16/09/2009, 6:43 AM
Apparently the betting markets for the replays were very lively yesterday with all the money for the outsiders?

gael353
16/09/2009, 7:18 AM
Oh the glamour! both games to be on at Jackman Park Limerick as a double header! :rolleyes:

naoise kennedy
16/09/2009, 7:29 AM
Oh the glamour! both games to be on at Jackman Park Limerick as a double header! :rolleyes:

when is the draw being made for semi's..

Hibs4Ever
16/09/2009, 7:41 AM
Apparently the betting markets for the replays were very lively yesterday with all the money for the outsiders?

Waterford went from 11/2 into 11/4 yesterday

Acornvilla
16/09/2009, 7:58 AM
i'd rather any of the three over fingal soley for the reason that thay wont have baght it because i think atleast fingal have an unfair advantage over many clubs with the council backing?mabe i'm rong thou but still its a great cup draw!:D

CarrickFan
16/09/2009, 8:00 AM

Anyone at home and I'd be confident of making it to the final. We've beaten Sligo at home a few times since they came up and we haven't lost to them. I think we beat Fingal in a pre-season friendly at home this year and I wasn't too impressed with them. I honestly don't have a clue about Waterford but, at home, I'd be confident we could beat them.

i remember Darren Mansaram getting the winner in the Carlisle grounds since we came back up..2-1...ye were lucky to get a 2-2 draw with us recently..dodgy penalty..plus we routinely spank ye in the Showgrounds..plus was in Flancare last Sat and did'nt see anything to be afraid of...having said that would'nt really want Bray away in the Semis.

mkbucks
16/09/2009, 8:28 AM
hope Sligo do it....they deserve the trophy after knocking the champions of their perch!!!!

peadar1987
16/09/2009, 8:36 AM
i remember Darren Mansaram getting the winner in the Carlisle grounds since we came back up..2-1...ye were lucky to get a 2-2 draw with us recently..dodgy penalty..plus we routinely spank ye in the Showgrounds..plus was in Flancare last Sat and did'nt see anything to be afraid of...having said that would'nt really want Bray away in the Semis.

Ah now, I think the penalty was fair, our player (Jake Kelly I think) was pulled over from behind by Boco.

Doesn't mean we deserved anything from the game, Sligo were by far the better side. That's the thing about Bray, when we fire on all cylinders we can beat Bohs or Rovers away, when we don't, we lose to Drogheda at home.

It just depends which side turns up to the semi and the final.

That said, if I was a betting man, my money would still be on Sligo.

Jofspring
16/09/2009, 8:44 AM
I said Fingal at the start of the season so i'll stick by it. Nice for any of the first divsion clubs to win it. Shows the gulf in class isn't as big as some people like to think.

Dalymountrower
16/09/2009, 8:50 AM
Has to be Sligo (deservedly). The only problem for them would be complacency.

dublinred
16/09/2009, 8:53 AM
Very little between the 4 teams left home advanatge in the semis will be a big factor would make Bray the favorites given their recent cup history.

Mr A
16/09/2009, 9:00 AM
Hope Waterford do it. They seem to have sorted themselves out as a club and Henderson is working miracles there with little to spend.

Redie
16/09/2009, 9:01 AM
Has to be Sligo (deservedly). The only problem for them would be complacency.

Agreed

pineapple stu
16/09/2009, 9:10 AM
Hope Waterford do it.
Agreed. Whatever distracts them from promotion is good by me.

KK77
16/09/2009, 9:12 AM
Very little between the 4 teams left home advanatge in the semis will be a big factor would make Bray the favorites given their recent cup history.

Recent cup history you are joking?

Roo69
16/09/2009, 9:37 AM
ye were lucky to get a 2-2 draw with us recently..dodgy penalty..plus we routinely spank ye in the Showgrounds..plus was in Flancare last Sat and did'nt see anything to be afraid of...having said that would'nt really want Bray away in the Semis.

Quite the oppisite i would have thought, Sligo's 2 goals that night were absolutely gifted to you by Bray, especially the 2nd one were Pender got an assist :D Normally when we play eachother the home team wins.

We dominated in Longford from start to finish and only for a keeper in top from, the woodwork 3 times and a goal that never was we should have won comfortably.

Any home draw at this stage is all you can ask for really. The one draw i dont want is Sligo away for above said reason by you.

Roo69
16/09/2009, 9:42 AM
Recent cup history you are joking?

Semis - 09 (at least)
1/4s - 08 (lost to galway)
1/4s - 07 (lost to pats)
Semis - 06 (lost to drogheda)

I think....

Its not winning it but its not a bad record in fairness

CarrickFan
16/09/2009, 10:00 AM
Quite the oppisite i would have thought, Sligo's 2 goals that night were absolutely gifted to you by Bray, especially the 2nd one were Pender got an assist :D Normally when we play eachother the home team wins.

We dominated in Longford from start to finish and only for a keeper in top from, the woodwork 3 times and a goal that never was we should have won comfortably.

Any home draw at this stage is all you can ask for really. The one draw i dont want is Sligo away for above said reason by you.

Actually ur spot on about the home team usually winning.....Longford are 2nd bottom or so in Division 1 so i would expect ye to dominate them but ye didnt score!!..tho ye did have a great win in Dayler recently so it's very hard to call...any team can beat any other on their day so we'll wait and see!!

CMcC
16/09/2009, 10:12 AM
I said Fingal at the start of the season so i'll stick by it. Nice for any of the first divsion clubs to win it. Shows the gulf in class isn't as big as some people like to think.

It shows no such thing I'm afraid.

MariborKev
16/09/2009, 10:16 AM
I think all the "big" teams being out of it adds to the excitement of the fai cup which is great. You wouldn't get that in england.

Er, two years ago you had EXACTLY that.

oriel
16/09/2009, 10:18 AM
I would like Sligo to win it, a proper football club with really passionate fans - how many cups have they won ? last one 1994 ? before that 78 v Gilesy/Dunphy's Rovers ?

razor
16/09/2009, 10:19 AM
Hope Waterford do it. They seem to have sorted themselves out as a club and Henderson is working miracles there with little to spend.Would like to see Waterford win it too, as well as they being our neighbours, theres a lot of Cork lads down there.

Lamper.sffc
16/09/2009, 10:28 AM
Obviously would love us to win it but if not, ill be hoping waterford do it. The best team iv watched in our division this year and the one team i dont want to meet in the semi finals.

KK77
16/09/2009, 10:33 AM
Semis - 09 (at least)
1/4s - 08 (lost to galway)
1/4s - 07 (lost to pats)
Semis - 06 (lost to drogheda)

I think....

Its not winning it but its not a bad record in fairness

Exactly it's not winning but that's just my opinion.

RĂ©iteoir
16/09/2009, 10:47 AM
One thing is for sure, one of them will be the Europa League 2nd Qualifying Round next season.

Let us hope none of them draw Carmarthen Town next season ;)

bennocelt
16/09/2009, 11:37 AM

thats a 0.000 added to our euro co effieicents next year so!:p

longfordjames
16/09/2009, 11:39 AM
Hope Fingal win it,and get promoted purely because PD and Europa League football would kick start their fanbase.

Sam_Heggy
16/09/2009, 11:56 AM
Hope Fingal win it,and get promoted purely because PD and Europa League football would kick start their fanbase.

And the League needs Fingal to be doing well.

neutrino
16/09/2009, 12:31 PM
I would like Sligo to win it, a proper football club with really passionate fans - how many cups have they won ? last one 1994 ? before that 78 v Gilesy/Dunphy's Rovers ?

Won the cup twice - In '94 as you rightly say and in 1983 against bohemians when Harry Mclaughlin scored one of the greatest cup final goals to win it. If i'm not mistaken, dermot o'neil was 'keeper for the opposition on both occassions.

CF1989
16/09/2009, 12:37 PM
Waterford went from 11/2 into 11/4 yesterday

was gary dempsey playing??

was wondering how pats lost so easily....:rolleyes:

The Lep
16/09/2009, 1:02 PM

No you didnt, it was 0-0 in a poor game .

Redie
16/09/2009, 1:04 PM

Cheers Oriel.

We won it first in 1983 when we beat Bohs 2 - 1 and again as you said in 1994 when we beat Derry 1 - 0. Gerry Carr scored the winner and he is of course Paul Cook's assistant. A few omens there hopefully.

sligoman
16/09/2009, 1:09 PM
Not meaning to be biased here but if anyone deserves it, tis us. Cork away, Derry at home & Bohs away and we're still in it...it'd be typical of us now to go and lose to a First Div team or Bray in the semi:o.

GalwayRed
16/09/2009, 1:11 PM
Hoping for a Waterford-Fingal final with Waterford winning it. The more matches they have to play the better.

superfrank
16/09/2009, 1:13 PM
No you didnt, it was 0-0 in a poor game .
You're right on both counts. :o

dublinred
16/09/2009, 1:39 PM
Cheers Oriel.

We won it first in 1983 when we beat Bohs 2 - 1 and again as you said in 1994 when we beat Derry 1 - 0. Gerry Carr scored the winner and he is of course Paul Cook's assistant. A few omens there hopefully.

We only win it if we beat a Cork team en-route which we have done this year , also helps if there is a bit of snow on top on Ben Bulben which is possible considering the final is in November , a home draw in the semis is vital as any of the teams left are capable of beating the others in a one off game.

galwayjames
16/09/2009, 1:56 PM
Can't believe this. Waterford in League Cup Final and the FAI Cup semi final while playing in the First Division? very good job done by Henderson.

Sligo unfortunately are probably the strongest team left, though I wouldn't bet against the Franchise making the final.

I predict a Semi-Final pairing of:

Sligo v Bray
Franchise v Waterford

Both home teams to win 2-1, then Sligo win the final in Tallaght 2-0.

Rovers1
16/09/2009, 2:00 PM
Sligo unfortunately are probably the strongest team left, though I wouldn't bet against the Franchise making the final.

I predict a Semi-Final pairing of:

Sligo v Bray
Franchise v Waterford

Both home teams to win 2-1, then Sligo win the final in Tallaght 2-0.

Nice to see our neighbours are right behind us!:)

Hulsey
16/09/2009, 2:59 PM
You're right on both counts. :o

The win your thinking of was start of last season