PDA

View Full Version : Darren Sutherland Dead?!

Armando
14/09/2009, 7:40 PM
It doesn't feel right posting this, but I have a couple of friends involved in boxing and both of them have texted me saying Darren Sutherland has died from a training related injury.

Has anyone else heard this?

centre mid
14/09/2009, 7:49 PM
They are saying the same on boards, I hope its a wind up. Far too young to die.

Big Ears
14/09/2009, 8:17 PM
It seems to have originated from a boxing forum called boxrec, where Darren himself occasionally posts.

The user that first posted the news only had 10 posts or so, making his credibility questionable.

Hopefully he is just an immature fool who started an awful hoax, if not it's a very very sad day for Ireland and Irish boxing.

soccerc
14/09/2009, 8:22 PM
My understanding is that there is something to this story.

Big Ears
14/09/2009, 8:51 PM
My understanding is that there is something to this story.

Unfortunately some very reliable posters from within the boxing industry have confirmed it's true on forums. His family do not want it realised by the media yet.

I'm still hoping this is an elaborate hoax, although I'm 90% certain now it's not :(

rambler14
14/09/2009, 8:53 PM
Any clues as to whats happened?

SkStu
14/09/2009, 8:56 PM
apparently he hung himself - not sure how true that is so mods can remove if they think i shouldnt have posted it.

placid casual
14/09/2009, 9:10 PM
I've read a couple of reliable boxing forums, and the story would appear to be true.
terrible sad news for his family in particular, but also for the wider sporting public in ireland.
he was a hero for his exploits in beijing and the joy he brought us all at the olympics will always be remembered...
RIP :(

De Town
14/09/2009, 9:21 PM
It's on Sky Sports News now that he's been found dead at his home :(

RIP

passinginterest
14/09/2009, 9:24 PM
RIP an extremely talented young man who did his country proud at the Olympics.

sligoman
14/09/2009, 9:29 PM
Shocked at this news. R.I.P. Darren.

Pauro 76
14/09/2009, 9:33 PM
Breaking news on Sky Sports. Dreadful news and an awful shock. RIP. Great memories of his exploits in Beijing.

soccerc
14/09/2009, 9:35 PM
Edited

passinginterest
14/09/2009, 9:38 PM
misunderstanding removed.

Longfordian
14/09/2009, 9:45 PM
Terrible news. 27 is way too young.

SkStu
14/09/2009, 9:50 PM
tragic - RIP Darren.

superfrank
14/09/2009, 9:59 PM
RIP.

Absolutely shocked by the news.

Armando
14/09/2009, 10:03 PM
I'm absolutely choked.

You will be hugely missed Darren - a credit to yourself, your family and your country.

R.I.P.

Hunty's Flatcap
14/09/2009, 10:05 PM
RIP. Terrible news. He always came across like such a lovely, humble lad. Had his heart set on becoming Ireland's first black World Champion.

aberharp
14/09/2009, 10:06 PM
Im totally shcked by the news, RIP

Manc Irish Wolf
14/09/2009, 10:08 PM
Felt absolutely sick to the stomach reading the news. Absolutely tragic. After his success in Beijing, he looked perfectly suited to the professional game and had the boxing world at his feet. Was only just reading about him being tipped as a future world champion in last month's Boxing Monthly and was revelling at the prospect of watching him rise. Tragic loss.

R.I.P

elroy
14/09/2009, 10:21 PM
Genuinely shocked by this, judging by it been reported it looks like suicide, very very sad. Seemed a very happy go lucky sort of lad. RIP.

happydays97
14/09/2009, 11:00 PM
R.I.P Darren

paul_oshea
14/09/2009, 11:03 PM
Im not making assumptions either way, but London can be a very very lonely place and you could easily get caught up in that with no one to talk to or meet for a chat or whatever. If someone has any sort of previous problems its not a place for a young fella to be coming over on his own without any proper support structures.

RIP to the lad, and sympathies to all who know him.

Torn-Ado
14/09/2009, 11:42 PM
Absolutely shocking news. Had a bright future in professional boxing and did his country proud in Beijing. Thanks for the memories Darren. RIP.

Superhoops
14/09/2009, 11:57 PM
Im not making assumptions either way, but London can be a very very lonely place and you could easily get caught up in that with no one to talk to or meet for a chat or whatever. If someone has any sort of previous problems its not a place for a young fella to be coming over on his own without any proper support structures.

RIP to the lad, and sympathies to all who know him.

Although he was born in Ireland, I think he spent his early years in London before moving to the Carribean where his father was from. He then moved back to Dublin with his family.

Real Rover
15/09/2009, 12:01 AM
Truly saddened by the news...he was a real character and an absolute credit to this country.

May he Rest in Peace.

backstothewall
15/09/2009, 12:03 AM
Terrible news. A great shame we will never see him avenge Beijing v James De Gale. Am i right in assuming he was our first Olympic medalist of mixed race?

If what everone is assuming is correct and it is suicide, he is the latest victim of the biggest killer of Irish males aged 15-34. There is something seriously wrong in this country.

It would be nice if the renamed the national stadium or something after him. He deserves some kind of lasting tribute.

This really is awful news. May he rest in peace

ArdeeBhoy
15/09/2009, 9:08 AM
Sorry to hear. The RTE report implied suicide, which is doubly saddening.

Anyway a promising talent snuffed out at such a young age.
Condolences to his family. RIP Darren.

juniorballer
15/09/2009, 9:38 AM
Very tragic turn of events!!
He did the country proud with his exploits in Beijung and as a professional afterwards.
May he rest in peace, and may the Lord comfort his family at this time.

KK77
15/09/2009, 11:29 AM
RIP very sad news.

superfrank
15/09/2009, 12:20 PM
the Metropolitan Police have confirmed they are not treating the death as suspicious
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/15092009/58/irish-boxer-sutherland-found-dead.html

That implies suicide.

Scram
15/09/2009, 12:26 PM
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/15092009/58/irish-boxer-sutherland-found-dead.html

That implies suicide.

Metro reported this as a suicide by HANGING but all radio reports just say he was found dead.

RIP to a great prospect and a very likeable person. Hard to believe.

I saw him recently on a program about adult illiteracy. He was there as an inspiraton having taken time out of his boxing career to back and do his Leaving and go to third level education. He came across as a real nice guy and a credit to Ireland.

Thoughts are with his family who I have seen interviewed and they all seemed very close. They must be totally devestated.

I wonder where you could see this? :

Sutherland was also the focus of a documentary film, Saviours, based around the amateur boxing club in north inner city Dublin, St Saviour's.

Kildare Lad
15/09/2009, 4:15 PM
RIP Darren

lopez
15/09/2009, 8:50 PM
London Evening Standard reports that Frank Maloney possibly had a heart attack after finding him. Terrible news.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-sport/

centre mid
15/09/2009, 8:53 PM
full link here (http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23744067-details/Promoter+suffers+heart+attack+after+finding+his+Ol ympic+boxer+hanged/article.do)

Magicme
15/09/2009, 11:43 PM
Still finding it hard to process the fact that he is gone. Shocking.

Just before school ended for the summer, Darren was at my son's primary school in Monaghan to meet all the boys. My son came home glowing with excitement and saying what a lovely friendly guy he was. I actually tried to get Darren to our game that night (think it was Sporting Fingal) but he was heading back to Dublin but said he would try to come to one of our matches next time he was in Monaghan.

Jake broke the news to me this morning on the way to school as he got a text from one of his friends. I thought he must have gotten it wrong and was thinking that maybe it was Donald Sutherland. Couldnt accept that such a brilliant talented young man could be gone.

RIP Darren and my thoughts are with his family and friends.

paul_oshea
16/09/2009, 9:13 AM
Just goes to show you never really know whats going on in someones head. I mean you never even heard of him having any problems or anything. Very sad, as he seems to have been a great role model and likeable guy.

Hunty's Flatcap
16/09/2009, 4:25 PM
Bit more of an insight into Sutherland's mental state here.
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/tragic-irish-boxer-darren-sutherland-lsquohad-felt-abandonedrsquo-1788074.html

Heartbreaking. I'm still stunned.

bennocelt
16/09/2009, 6:09 PM
Bit more of an insight into Sutherland's mental state here.
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/tragic-irish-boxer-darren-sutherland-lsquohad-felt-abandonedrsquo-1788074.html

Heartbreaking. I'm still stunned.

Me too, I cant believe it really...............such a nice guy and all, and bloody great potential as a boxer

gufc2000
16/09/2009, 6:16 PM
Shocking News, a great young boxer with a big future ahead of him.

RIP