PDA

View Full Version : Status quo stays on 'sad night' for soccer

Ringo
13/02/2004, 6:53 AM
from the Irish independent

THE Eircom League's 22 clubs last night chose to expediently disregard the deliberations of the FAI's Licensing Committee by agreeing to forge ahead with the current league structure for this season.

They will need to appeal to FAI chief executive Fran Rooney in order to so this, following Tuesday's announcement that no Eircom League club had managed to achieve the requisite Premier Division Licence.

Rooney, who addressed the meeting, said that he would request the Licensing Committee to re-adjust the timeframe regarding the implementation of the licences, as well as applying to UEFA for a derogation. It is believed the European ruling body would be sympathetic.

However, there was anger in some quarters at the fact that the work of some clubs in attempting to adhere to the licensing deadline was effectively ignored.

"It's a sad night for Irish football," said Derry City's Jim Roddy, who maintained that his side will continue their appeal in order to achieve a Premier Division licence. "Last May, we were offered the chance to postpone this process by the FAI and the League clubs voted en bloc to refuse. I'm very disappointed. We are trying to be professional, for ourselves and the public.

"Then, when we are given a test which shows us all to be of a poor standard, we throw the test away and forget about it. I think the begrudgers who reckoned this issue would be fudged have unfortunately proven to be correct."

At last night's management meeting in the Ashling Hotel, there was a limited debate as to the merits of deploying two regionally balanced divisions of 11 teams; however, this was quickly shot down in favour of maintaining the status quo.

"I'm happy with the way things went," said Shelbourne's Ollie Byrne. "We set the bar too high and although UEFA Club Licensing is the best thing to happen soccer in this country, we misjudged the speed of it."

The FAI will now have to request the Licensing Committee to alter its terms of reference while also applying to UEFA. A rule change may be necessary, which would require 21 days' notice as an FAI EGM would have to be called. However, the League tentatively expects to be in a position to finally publish this season's fixtures on February 21, just four weeks before kick-off.

* ST Patrick's Athletic will play Leicester City in a friendly at Richmond Park tonight, 7.45. An auction is taking place for anyone interested in playing the final 10 minutes for St Pat's on www.stpatsfc.com

David Kelly

IrelandUnited
14/02/2004, 10:49 AM
"We set the bar too high" Shels say. I'm afraid it reveals the secondrateness of so much of what is called admin of soccer in this country. The league simply will not take itself seriously and now it has in the run up to season opening this fiasco to add to the Drog United PR disaster and one wonders where it ends or does it end?

Macy
16/02/2004, 2:50 PM
Missed all this as I was off on Friday, but what does Roddy want? If he doesn't want a fudge, why abstain rather than vote for the alternative.

For once Oily is right, too much too soon - the fact that not one club got a premier licence (including Derry and Galway) shows this...

For once, the majority of clubs got it right!

dortie
16/02/2004, 3:13 PM
Originally posted by Macy
Missed all this as I was off on Friday, but what does Roddy want? If he doesn't want a fudge, why abstain rather than vote for the alternative.

For once Oily is right, too much too soon - the fact that not one club got a premier licence (including Derry and Galway) shows this...

For once, the majority of clubs got it right!

How did they get it right, they just made a laughing stock of our league, it was obvious some clubs took it more serious than others 2 years ago, but the clubs who didnt bother knew this outcome in advance. They Just spent all their money on players wages (Not surprised Ollie was happy).

It shows no backbone whatsoever........

And NB Roddy was confident we would get the license when I chatted to him on Saturday afternoon.

Macy
16/02/2004, 3:19 PM
Originally posted by dortie
How did they get it right, they just made a laughing stock of our league, it was obvious some clubs took it more serious than others 2 years ago, but the clubs who didnt bother knew this outcome in advance. They Just spent all their money on players wages (Not surprised Ollie was happy).

It shows no backbone whatsoever........

And NB Roddy was confident we would get the license when I chatted to him on Saturday afternoon.
It's all conjecture that clubs didn't bother, so didn't get a premier licence.

If you do get the licence, enjoy playing yourselves all season if that's the way you'd rather.... btw if us and harps had accepted your ridiculous offers for Hasbeen and McHugh, how would you be doing on the Licence? Also what work have you actually done on the ground, bar close off large sections?

dortie
16/02/2004, 3:24 PM

If you do get the licence, enjoy playing yourselves all season

Nah if we get the license I'll be more than happy to take a trip to europe and represent Irish football in the UEFA cup.

Be a nice letter-head on our club paper 'Only Premier Qualified Irish Football Club'

Macy
16/02/2004, 3:30 PM
And my other points?

dortie
16/02/2004, 3:55 PM

btw if us and harps had accepted your ridiculous offers for Hasbeen and McHugh, how would you be doing on the Licence? Also what work have you actually done on the ground, bar close off large sections?

If our previous manager had of been successful signing your 'has-been' we would still have managed the license issue....our fund-raising never stopped (Are you expecting us to run out of money?...we learned too many lessons in the past for that to happen)...we also have seperate budgets for playing staff.

On the ground issue....(which is only part of the license document as you know) yes the council have closed the terracing down for H&S purposes even though it was still FAR superior to that of Harps/Dundalk/Richmond...you name it.

The stadia criteria was not our main issue.

MariborKev
16/02/2004, 3:55 PM
Macy

New chairlifts for wheelchair users

New press box, new match control centre

Rehung the gates to open the other way(seriously)

New floodlights- yet we still failed

Whole list here- want me to continue

We would never have bough McWho and Hasbeen- and would have been one or the others

And we would be in exactly the same state

Macy
16/02/2004, 4:23 PM
Go on, for the craic......

Well fair fĂșcks then, but I still don't see why Roddy has to get on his high horse the whole time.... Seriously, he sounded like Paisley last week on Newstalk with his inane ranting....