PDA

View Full Version : The Big Game

Neil
11/10/2001, 4:58 AM
Who will Ireland be playing in the Play-Off? The picture will become clearer after Iran’s Asian Group A showdown with Iraq in Tehran tomorrow.

pete
11/10/2001, 9:30 AM
I'd put my money on Saudi Arabia.

Didn't think there would be any trouble playing a match there but after hearing a few attacks on foreigners yesterday maybe it ain't safe. Sure a months a long time so who knows what'll happen but you can be sure FIFA will screw Ireland in some form........

:(

The Legend
12/10/2001, 11:08 PM
I'm not so sure... who do you think they would rather screw over... us or a team in that region?

My money is on Saudi's too... it looks like Iran are going through now with China.

Des.

Éanna
13/10/2001, 11:48 PM
I figure Saudi as well. They are a handy team, remember their performances in the usa world cup. I can't see them losing to any of the teams they might face in their playoff. That said, the asian teams shouldnt be underestimated- i was watchin iran-v-iraq a few weeks ago on eurosport(incidentally, can anyone explain why eurosport are showing asian football!!!!!) and iraq looked pretty good, and they're well behind the saudis. it is a potential banana skin.

pete
15/10/2001, 10:32 AM
can anyone explain why eurosport are showing asian football

cos it cheap?

The Legend
23/10/2001, 1:18 AM
Well it loks like Iran threw their chance away...
... lets hope they collapse against us too, if they make it past UAE...

... Ah there's nothing like an arab pitch invasion

pete
23/10/2001, 10:05 AM
Saw the goals/highlights they showing on tv last night. Both teams look to be fairly skillful going forward as could probably be expected but some of the defending was woeful.

Whoever we play we need to win by at least 2-0 at home as I don't think we'd fancy defending a 1 goal lead against a capacity 120k crowd in Tehran.

niamh
23/10/2001, 11:35 AM
I think we'd need more than a 2:0 but we are very unlikely to get it. It might sound defensive but i think Mick McCarthy's priority should be not giving an away goal to them as that is what screwed us the last two times we played a playoff.

The Legend
23/10/2001, 11:31 PM
I wonder if there will be any away fans at Landsdowne?

.... there would probably be an equal amount of CIA agents sitting 2 rows behind them.