PDA

View Full Version : Adebayor - Van Persie Stamping

Scram
13/09/2009, 9:46 PM
What do you reckon?

Looks like Adebayor went for him. I like Van Persie's ability but he has a nasty streak and went for Adebayor, but Adebayor was out of order to retaliate.

As for Adebayor's celebration, So what? He was getting dogs abuse from the Arsenal "fans" and celebrated in front of them.

No excuse for a bunch of animals to throw coins and bananas at him, why aren't BBC and Sky mentioning that? One of the stewards needed stitches.

De Town
13/09/2009, 10:02 PM
Was a very nasty swipe he had at RVP alright. Will probably lead to a deserved ban. Agree with you about the celebration too, why should the Arsenal fans be allowed to abuse him for 90 minutes without expecting some abuse in return.

Neish
13/09/2009, 10:03 PM
What do you reckon?

Looks like Adebayor went for him. I like Van Persie's ability but he has a nasty streak and went for Adebayor, but Adebayor was out of order to retaliate.

As for Adebayor's celebration, So what? He was getting dogs abuse from the Arsenal "fans" and celebrated in front of them.

No excuse for a bunch of animals to throw coins and bananas at him, why aren't BBC and Sky mentioning that? One of the stewards needed stitches.

IMO there is no question that Adebayor fully intended to kick Van Persie. Yes the Arsenal players were taking swipes and mad tackles at him but to kick someone in the head he deserves a considerable fine and a suspension.

With regards to the celebration you say so what? he was getting dogs abuse for Arsenal fans. Well what did he expect after the way he left the Arsenal(its been part and parcel of the game for a very long time), prehaps if he scored in front of the Arsenal end then it understandable as a rash decission, but he ran the entire legnth of the pitch, so he deserves to be punished. Many other players have got much worse treatment when playing former teams and don't re-act like that

I think he should get a fine equivalent to several weeks’ wages and at least a 3 game suspension

gaiscĂ­och
13/09/2009, 10:13 PM
What do you reckon?

Nasty stuff no need for it Adebayor was being a complete coward. Yes it was a bad tackle with intent but still no need for that reaction...

Whether he was "getting dogs abuse" or not it doesn't matter. Surely he should have expected abuse. If he concentrated on celebrating with his own clubs fans it would haven't have been an issue even better don't celebrate at all. Measure of the man really. He is classless just llike Man City. What would you expect with the attitude City are showing as a club no doubt their players will do the same. Kolo Toure didn't get the abuse did he?

What would you expect. Of course they were going to go nuts. No excuse for throwing bananas though.

centre mid
13/09/2009, 10:19 PM
As the referee gave him a yellow card for the celebration the fa cant give him another sanction for the same offence, however they will now doubt give him a ban for the stamping incident. If it was an England player he would not get done. I rember Alan Shearer blatantly kicking Neil Lennon in the head in front of the linesman and iirc did not even get a yellow card.

jebus
13/09/2009, 11:10 PM
As the referee gave him a yellow card for the celebration the fa cant give him another sanction for the same offence, however they will now doubt give him a ban for the stamping incident. If it was an England player he would not get done. I rember Alan Shearer blatantly kicking Neil Lennon in the head in front of the linesman and iirc did not even get a yellow card.

Very famous rumour that Shearer threatened to walk out of the England team if he was charged by the FA, hence their silence

Adebayor will get a rightful 3 match ban for that swipe though

Morbo
13/09/2009, 11:27 PM
He didn't just celebrate in front of them, he busted a gut running the length of the pitch to do it, it is a lot different to just scoring a goal in front of them and having a cheeky celebration, thats to be expected. Maybe if he had put in half that effort whilst playing for the Arse last season then he wouldn't have gotten dog's abuse in the first place.

shakermaker1982
14/09/2009, 8:12 AM

Shearer was talking about this incident on MOTD and I was thinking how can this gimp criticse anybody when he did Lennon which was way worse.

To be honest if I was Adebayor I'd have done the same thing after scoring with regards to the celebration. It's not professional but it was funny!

bennocelt
14/09/2009, 8:50 AM
I actually like Adeybayor and def think its no big deal what he did. I mean I hate the way some supporters abuse and insult a player for 90 minutes acting all hard but as soon as a player shows any sign of character and sticking it back to them then they all moan. Good one Ade:cool:

I think the Arsenal club were a bit unfair to him as well, he had a great season two years ago, and there was far too much pressure on him last season, cant expect him to get all the goals all the time

osarusan
14/09/2009, 10:38 AM
No problems about Adebayor's celebration. Players make gestures to opposition fans all the time. It was stupid, he has apologised, end of story.

The stamping with Van Persie is another story. It was without question deliberate in my opinion, and he made contact. What it means is he deliberately stamped on Van Persie's head, and for that, he should be looking at a lengthy ban.

jebus
14/09/2009, 4:08 PM
I actually like Adeybayor and def think its no big deal what he did. I mean I hate the way some supporters abuse and insult a player for 90 minutes acting all hard but as soon as a player shows any sign of character and sticking it back to them then they all moan. Good one Ade:cool:

I think the Arsenal club were a bit unfair to him as well, he had a great season two years ago, and there was far too much pressure on him last season, cant expect him to get all the goals all the time

In fairness to the Arsenal supporters re: that bolded point it was that he didn't put in any effort last season after publically hankering for a move to Milan that got their backs up

Docboy
14/09/2009, 4:58 PM
The celebration was completely irresponsible and he should be hammered for it. Whatever happened to just scoring a goal against them being enough, that hurt Arsenal more than anything else. His actions led to near riot, at the end of the day he's the professional and should act it.

That said, I'd agree with the poster above who said it seems to be the measure of the man. Adebayor certainly has a nasty, self-centred side to him.

CF1989
14/09/2009, 5:58 PM
disgraceful stamp on RVP. a former team mate aswell.

the celebration would be so so aggravating to arsenal fans, an ex player who you used to love and then leaving and doing that. he was getting abuse all game i know but i always think you have to respect your old club. they paid him so much money with wages while he was there and more or less kck started his career.

i always like it when ex players dont celebrate when they score against their former club

Stuttgart88
14/09/2009, 7:10 PM
It's not like at a stand up gig where the comedian is getting flack from a heckler and responds by picking on him.

Any halfway intelligent being know that crowds behave differently than the individuals would if alone. I think he was totally stupid to do what he did nad probbaly betrays the character failings that made Wenger decide to sell him.

I was glad to see the back of Adebayor, super player that he is. I hate players who mouth off about wanting to leave for more money. Did he not realise where he was a year previously & and who brought him from there? If you did that any any other profession you'd be sacked.

As for the stamp, no question that it was deliberate. It reminded me of Rooney against Portugal in 2006. He found the guy's nuts under his boot and instantaneously decided to proceed with a stamp. Adebayor found his boot near VP's face and took the opportunity to follow through. You could tell because he changed the angle of his leg at the end.

As for VP, his foul should probably have earned a red too. I also hear that he provoked the City crowd with his celebration.

Sometimes I wonder why I love football. It's full of cheats, thugs and whingers.

NeilMcD
14/09/2009, 7:22 PM
and thats just the forums. :)

Stuttgart88
14/09/2009, 8:14 PM
Very good :)

What did people think of the tackle on Phil Neville yesteday? I thought it was a shocker, a straight red without any question. Even if you win the ball - which the Fulham player did - you're likely to cause injury. If you don't win the ball you cause serious injury. No other country or league tolerates that type of tackle.

R5 Live with Motson tonight were defending it. "You've got to keep some danger" was one panelist's remark. Tackling is a skill that's totally overlooked by English football.

micls
14/09/2009, 9:37 PM
even better don't celebrate at all..
Why on earth would he not celebrate? He's scored for his new club to help keep their 100% record against a team whose fans have just given him dogs abuse.

I'm sure you wouldn't have celebrated in his shoes.....

What would you expect. Of course they were going to go nuts.

I expect that if you're big enough to give it out, you should be big enough to take it back. Otherwise football isnt the game for you.

By all means respond by giving him even more abuse etc etc, but the reaction was a disgrace and those caught on camera should be banned

jebus
14/09/2009, 10:09 PM
Why on earth would he not celebrate? He's scored for his new club to help keep their 100% record against a team whose fans have just given him dogs abuse.

There's celebrating and then there's racing 90 yards to purposefully goad fans into a reaction

I expect that if you're big enough to give it out, you should be big enough to take it back. Otherwise football isnt the game for you.

By all means respond by giving him even more abuse etc etc, but the reaction was a disgrace and those caught on camera should be banned

I agree with that to an extent, basically I don't think they should have thrown seats or whatever at him, but I'd have reacted if I were an Arsenal supporter, so would the majority of football fans I know so I'm not going to criticise them too much

gaiscĂ­och
14/09/2009, 10:17 PM

No problem with him celebrating at all but why not with his own fans???

Arsenal have been at the top a long time. That won't change because he has left them. He would do well to remember that.

It would have been better for him to just take on the chin. He had done the damage by scoring.

As kids we were always told (from my modest experience) the best way to answer those people was sticking the ball in the net. Nothing could have hurt them more than getting beaten 4-1 and Adebayor scoring.

I agree the react was a disgrace but it was brought about by his own self promotion. Which he deserves to be punished for. The same way Gary Neville did and the same way Rooney was.

Then what do Man City do other than give him MOTM. Says it all really when it was Craig Bellamy who won them the game.

bennocelt
15/09/2009, 7:43 AM
The way he celebrated does not give the Aresnal fans the right to have a mini riot.....whatever about the players these days the fans are nearly bigger whingers

CF1989
15/09/2009, 8:37 AM
The way he celebrated does not give the Aresnal fans the right to have a mini riot.....whatever about the players these days the fans are nearly bigger whingers

im sorry but what he done when he scored would get under anyones skin if an ex player done that to you. If an ex rovers player left and then done that a couple of months later i know how id feel.

bennocelt
15/09/2009, 8:45 AM
im sorry but what he done when he scored would get under anyones skin if an ex player done that to you. If an ex rovers player left and then done that a couple of months later i know how id feel.

yeah but isnt he entitled to do that? I mean what there is some law in the game that says you are not allowed to show any emotion?

jbyrne
15/09/2009, 9:26 AM
his apology for the celebration and injury to the steward made me laugh. a steward gets knocked about and requires medical attention and its reported today that Adebayor has asked the club to send a signed shirt and note of apology to the steward..... i mean what kind of apology and gesture is that!! these players are in a diff world to everyone else

KK77
15/09/2009, 11:21 AM
yeah but isnt he entitled to do that? I mean what there is some law in the game that says you are not allowed to show any emotion?

There is a law that that states you can't incite a riot and imo that is what he did with his reaction. Ok the emotion of it all but what about the fans emotion. He shouldn't have done what he done simple as. Better off celebrating with his own fans. Also his stamp on Van Persie was the action of a coward.

razor
15/09/2009, 11:35 AM
Will surely get a minimum 3 games for the stamp.
Absolutely idiotic to run the length of the pitch and incite a riot, should also be done for that too in my opinion.
I mean coming out with such guff as
"I don't know what I have done wrong to get banned. I have not heard the police or FA want to talk to me. The club have not said anything." :rolleyes:

bennocelt
15/09/2009, 1:30 PM
If i was getting abuse all through the game I would have done exactly the same, so what..................i thought this was meant to be a mans game............jesus the prawn sandwich brigade are out in force today:p

No excuse for hitting stewards..............

Typical Arsenal fans anyway......................wouldnt be a peek out of them come the spurs games!!!!...

razor
15/09/2009, 2:07 PM
Hit with 2 separate charges (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/8252803.stm)
Clattenburg said he'd definitely have sent him off if he had seen it so I reckon he's a banker for 3 matches for the stamp.

CF1989
15/09/2009, 2:17 PM
3 for the stamp and another for the celebration maybe

micls
15/09/2009, 2:28 PM
There's celebrating and then there's racing 90 yards to purposefully goad fans into a reaction

I agree with that to an extent, basically I don't think they should have thrown seats or whatever at him, but I'd have reacted if I were an Arsenal supporter, so would the majority of football fans I know so I'm not going to criticise them too much

On the first point, someone else said it'd have been better if he hadn't celebrated at all, that's what I was questioning.

On the second, all football fans would react, and give plenty of verbal abuse back, that's part of the game. Throwing seats etc isn't. I'm sure you've seen similar celebrations in the LOI

No problem with him celebrating at all but why not with his own fans???
I agree, but the claim was that it would be better if he hadnt celebrated at all

Arsenal have been at the top a long time. That won't change because he has left them. He would do well to remember that.

Why should he? Why would he care? His team just beat them 4-1, i don't think he could care less how Arsenal were or will be in the future. Id imagine he certainly wasnt thinking of that in the heat of the moment

It would have been better for him to just take on the chin. He had done the damage by scoring.
It probably would have, but lets be realistic, a lot of players would do similar, maybe not run the whole pitch to do it but plenty enjoy rubbing supporters face in it after theyve been given abuse for 90 minutes. Barry Ryan regularly does it to us.

As kids we were always told (from my modest experience) the best way to answer those people was sticking the ball in the net. Nothing could have hurt them more than getting beaten 4-1 and Adebayor scoring.
Who the hell was giving you that kind of abuse as a kid :eek:

Again, in an ideal world probably, but it's far from it.

I agree the react was a disgrace but it was brought about by his own self promotion. Which he deserves to be punished for. The same way Gary Neville did and the same way Rooney was.
I thought the punishments both of the above got were ridiculous tbh. And lets not forget Henry who did identical against Spurs a few years ago and got no punishment.

Scram
16/09/2009, 7:35 PM
Shearer was talking about this incident on MOTD and I was thinking how can this gimp criticse anybody when he did Lennon which was way worse.

To be honest if I was Adebayor I'd have done the same thing after scoring with regards to the celebration. It's not professional but it was funny!

Here's the video, the scumbag should have been jailed, typical double standards from the self-righteous.

Thug Kicking a Man on the Ground (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss_7WGYa9nQ)

The same rshole was calling for Rooney to take Ronaldo out in training after Euro 2004, but singing Ronaldo's praises 6 mths later.

Razors left peg
16/09/2009, 8:03 PM
I know its wrong of me to say it but, it would have been hilarious if he got hit in the middle of the forehead with something while on his knees with his arms spread in front of the Arsenal fans.

Its easy to say that the Arsenal fans shouldnt have reacted in the way they did to him celebrating but I know for a fact that if for example the Isreal keeper in Landsdowne a few years ago had run the lenght of the pitch to celebrate in front of me I would have reacted in much the same manner as the Arsenal fans.

As for the stamping incident, if he got a 10 match ban it wouldnt be harsh enough for me, he could have taken Van Persies eye out

rambler14
16/09/2009, 8:31 PM
Wrong Thread. Sorry.

Seeing as i'm here though.....Adebayor is a fool.

micls
16/09/2009, 8:40 PM
Its easy to say that the Arsenal fans shouldnt have reacted in the way they did to him celebrating but I know for a fact that if for example the Isreal keeper in Landsdowne a few years ago had run the lenght of the pitch to celebrate in front of me I would have reacted in much the same manner as the Arsenal fans.

Seriously? You'd have started throwing stuff at him?

centre mid
16/09/2009, 8:55 PM

Not really the same Adebayor scored a goal, he didnt jump from one end of the box to the other after a fly brushed agianst his ear at the same time as north easterly breeze combined with the gulf stream to send another breeze past his left ear to leave him in a state of confusion, which caused him to spiral to the ground whenever touched.

Razors left peg
17/09/2009, 4:04 PM
Seriously? You'd have started throwing stuff at him?

Im saying Im not sure I wouldnt have tried to get on to the pitch at him, rational thinking doesnt always happen when passions are risen

superfrank
21/09/2009, 4:03 PM
http://www.mousebreaker.com/games/badadebayor/playgame

:D

Closed Account 2
01/10/2009, 5:24 PM
Here (http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3844/adebayor2.gif) is a video of the stamp btw...