PDA

View Full Version : new manager is...............

wablue
12/02/2004, 7:39 PM
Waterford United have announced the arrival of former Republic of Ireland star Paul McGrath as the club’s new Director of Football and Development and Alan Reynolds as player/manager.

Paul, recognised the world over for his football acumen and regarded as an expert analyst was capped 83 times for his country and played over 560 games in English football, brings a wealth of experience to his new role, which is expected to commence immediately.

“I am extremely honoured to accept this position,” said Paul. “I am looking forward to the challenges that lie ahead and I hope that I can lead Waterford United to the success that the club deserves. I am thrilled to be back involved in football and I can’t wait to get stuck into the job.”

“Everybody at Waterford United is thrilled that Paul is joining the club,” said Blues Chairman Ger O Brien. “I am so glad to have a person of Paul’s calibre at United and we are happy at being able to afford him an opportunity to get back to an involvement with football.”

Alan Reynolds, who returns to the club where he spent nine years before having spells at Longford Town, Cork City and Shamrock Rovers, will assume the day-to-day duties in his new role as player manager, while Giles Cheevers as Head Coach, Richard O Connor (coach) and Derek Browne (under 21 Manager) will continue in their respective positions.

“The club had a number of very highly qualified applicants for the position of manager, but having given the matter a lot of thought and consciously not rushing into a decision, we feel that we have made the right choice in Alan, who has always shown great leadership qualities,” said Ger O Brien. “Given his experience in the eircom league, we believe he is right person to bring the club forward.”

“This is a wonderful opportunity for me, said Reynolds. “I can’t wait to get to grips with my new role and I look forward to working with everyone at the club and especially with Paul. Hopefully we can build a club that Waterford and the South East can be proud of and I hope that the supporters will work with us to achieve this success.”

wablue
12/02/2004, 7:40 PM
great

gustavo
12/02/2004, 8:05 PM
so will it be a case of down to the pub and discussing what el club you havent played for yet :D

Bosco
12/02/2004, 8:32 PM
Originally posted by wablue
great

Did you just reply to your own post

Iorfa
13/02/2004, 10:57 AM
Enfin!!! Don't know bout Rennie's capabilities as manager tho, but deadly to have McGrath there............here's to looking forward to next season at last

Neil
13/02/2004, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Iorfa
Enfin!!! Don't know bout Rennie's capabilities as manager tho, but deadly to have McGrath there............here's to looking forward to next season at last
Who'll be manager when Rennie leaves at the end of this season though?

A face
17/02/2004, 1:46 PM
Irish legend McGrath takes on Waterford role

Waterford United have confirmed that former Republic of Ireland star Paul McGrath has been appointed as the club's new Director of Football and Development. Recent signing Alan Reynolds has been appointed player/manager.

McGrath began his career in the League with St Patrick's Athletic in 1981 and was capped 83 times for his country. He played over 560 games in English football and brings a wealth of experience to his new role, which is expected to commence immediately.

Read more at www.rte.ie (http://www.rte.ie/sport/2004/0212/mcgrath.html)