PDA

View Full Version : Is the Irish team getting taller?

Irish_Praha
11/09/2009, 10:17 PM
I was just writing in another thread that the return to fitness of Joey O'Brien could be a usefull addition to the squad as he's tall, mobile and can play in two positions.

Then I started thinking that the Irish team is slowly starting to get taller under Trap (just a concidence) compared to the average 5ft8 to 5ft9 players under Kerr and Staunton.

All the back 4 that started against Cyprus were 6ft or over - O'shea, Dunne, St. Ledger, Kilbane.
S. Reid, Andrews, Folan and Keogh are also all 6ft or over and Whelan is about 5ft10 or 11.
The only small players seem to be our attacking players now i.e. the two wingers and the two up front, although Dolye is not that small either.

Also a lot of the players who are expected to break into the team in the near future are also over 6ft and they are not all defenders.
O'Dea, McCann, Garvan, Joey O'Brien, O'Toole, Sheridan.
McCarthy is only 18 but is 5ft11 and Lawerance is also 5ft11.

Of course there are the usual short players coming through like Doran and Scannell but it's nice to see that there should be a few more bigger lads in the starting 11 over the next few years and we can live up to our reputation of being a physically strong team that's hard to play against. With hopefully a mix of some small tricky players.

philliyk
11/09/2009, 11:44 PM
Think alot of it is down to the "modern" footballer syndrome in that there are usually 8-9 big physically fit & 6ft+ players in the average teams - say Wigan(not having a go at them by the way)for example & then the odd 1 or 2 match-winners who have that bit of genius/skill/electric pace to change a game. You'll find the bigger teams will normally have less of these players & more match-winners but definately the EPL is the world leader in this type of player - usually found in the lower half team's + as almost all our pool of players are based in England/Scotland you'll find in the years to come we'll be seeing them get bigger no doubt

Greenbod
12/09/2009, 12:18 AM
Doubtful. Most men stop growing at around 18.

Murfinator
12/09/2009, 9:38 AM
I wouldn't say taller players are better, centre back and goalkeeper are the only real positions that I like tall players to be in. Otherwise I prefer shorter players, better balance, quicker reaction time. They're far better at a quick passing game which is always the best kind of game for the spectator.

NeilMcD
12/09/2009, 12:06 PM
To be honest it depends on what way you play the game. We had small players who could not play at the highest level so now we have tall players who cant play at the highest level :)

Irish_Praha
12/09/2009, 12:17 PM
I wouldn't say taller players are better, centre back and goalkeeper are the only real positions that I like tall players to be in. Otherwise I prefer shorter players, better balance, quicker reaction time. They're far better at a quick passing game which is always the best kind of game for the spectator.

Yeah you only have to look at how well Spain play as proof of that but not every team has somany tecnically gifted small guys available.

I was just making an observation that there was a period for a few years where the Irish team was full of short arses and as a whole lacked a bit of physical presence. Now it's starting to look a bit more balanced and there are a few more options available for set pieces.

Irish_Praha
12/09/2009, 12:20 PM
To be honest it depends on what way you play the game. We had small players who could not play at the highest level so now we have tall players who cant play at the highest level :)

Yeah fair point Neil :D

Scram
12/09/2009, 12:41 PM
Praha, you daft ba$tard, what a fceked up thread title! ;)

Can you do some research to see if we are getting fatter as well, how the exclusion of Andy Reid skews the stats and if this is balanced by the self-exile of weedy Stephen Ireland.

Stuttgart88
12/09/2009, 1:21 PM
Irish Praha, I was thinking the same. I think Keith Andrews is an important player for us because of his height & mobility alone. The back 4 is quite tall, but you need them to be. We still rely on talented smaller players like Duff, Keane & McGeady for creativity though.

Spain showed that physicality & height aren't essential for success, though their sheer technical excellence is almost unique.

Irish_Praha
12/09/2009, 4:44 PM
Praha, you daft ba$tard, what a fceked up thread title! ;)

I know; I've been off the beer for 5 weeks now so it's pretty boring on a Friday night. I just thought I'd share an observation :D

Maybe in a few years when Keane and Duff are retired and the new bigger lads come through we will start playing like Stoke.
Can hardly wait :cool:

NeilMcD
12/09/2009, 5:58 PM
Irish Praha, I was thinking the same. I think Keith Andrews is an important player for us because of his height & mobility alone. The back 4 is quite tall, but you need them to be. We still rely on talented smaller players like Duff, Keane & McGeady for creativity though.

Spain showed that physicality & height aren't essential for success, though their sheer technical excellence is almost unique.

Yeah you can only get away with their lack of height if you are world class. When you are not world class you need to come up with the best way to qualify. I am all for good football. I believe in passing and your central midfielders showing for it etc. However if we do not have the central midfielders or full backs to play this we end up playing the way we are at the moment. A whole lot better than go out lads and have pride in the jersey tactics of Staunton

Predator
13/09/2009, 1:42 PM
I don't care what the average height of the team is. I just want to see us playing our best players, playing well and getting to the World Cup and Euros.

Oh, and St. Ledger isn't 6ft or over is he?

Crosby87
13/09/2009, 2:27 PM
I know; I've been off the beer for 5 weeks now so it's pretty boring on a Friday night.

Uh-Oh must have been a bad night/weekend/bender?
I had to take a few months off after a wedding once. Ugh.:D

Irish_Praha
13/09/2009, 3:14 PM
Uh-Oh must have been a bad night/weekend/bender?
I had to take a few months off after a wedding once. Ugh.

Something similar. I was at a wedding in Ireland last month and shot a few video clips. When I looked at them upon returning home I got such a shock at how much weight I had put on that I gave up the beer and went on a diat :eek:

Two more weeks and I fly to Las Vegas so that will be the end of being on the dry :D
But sure the 8 weeks will have done my liver the world of good :p

Stuttgart88
13/09/2009, 3:45 PM
So Irish Praha is Andy Reid. I knew it.

Scram
13/09/2009, 9:38 PM
So Irish Praha is Andy Reid. I knew it.

He's as good as Andy...well on the guitar anyway