PDA

View Full Version : First leg play-off away on November 14?

Donegalcelt
10/09/2009, 8:15 PM
Obviously we have to actually get second place in the group, but if we do, is it likely that we may have to play out first leg away from home on November 14 as Croke Park is already hosting the Ireland v Australia autumn rugby international on Sunday 15?
Or will they have time to get it ready and remove the buckets in Hill 16? I can't recall off the top of my head any time there was two codes at Croker in 24 hours. I doubt it would be ready in time, and the IRFU have it booked.

Any thoughts?

Donegalcelt
10/09/2009, 8:18 PM
From IRFU web - I presume they mean mid-November instead of the end of October

"Please note that due to the possibility of an international soccer match taking place in Croke Park at the end of October, there may be seating in the Hill and Nally terraces for the Australia and South Africa games. These tickets will be sold at the standing price on the basis that there may or may not be seating in place; should the potential soccer match not take place, seating will be removed and there will be standing in these areas. There will not be any seats in the terraces for Six Nations 2010."

Stuttgart88
10/09/2009, 9:47 PM
Interesting, thanks for asking & answering!

theworm2345
10/09/2009, 10:03 PM
I have always thought that it is an advantage to play away first when the away goals rule applies so I do not think that FIFA/UEFA would give a team this advantage because they cannot provide a good enough venue, I'd guess that team would be punished rather than given the advantage, but maybe being away first isn't considered an advantage by FIFA/UEFA.

It would not be wise to play a rugby match 24 hours after a football game either, as bad pitches lead to injuries and are (obviously) harder to play on...its hard to enough to judge where a rugby ball will bounce without having to worry about divots. Anyway whats more important, a World Cup Play-off or a friendly international?

SuperDave
10/09/2009, 10:17 PM
Frankly, I would prefer to be at home second. And lets not kid ourselves, a bad pitch will only work in one team's favour... ours.

MeathDrog
10/09/2009, 10:31 PM
From IRFU web - I presume they mean mid-November instead of the end of October

"Please note that due to the possibility of an international soccer match taking place in Croke Park at the end of October, there may be seating in the Hill and Nally terraces for the Australia and South Africa games. These tickets will be sold at the standing price on the basis that there may or may not be seating in place; should the potential soccer match not take place, seating will be removed and there will be standing in these areas. There will not be any seats in the terraces for Six Nations 2010."
Feck the rugger buggers with their friendlies. This is serious business here. Get 'the Goys' to play at the RDS instead. :cool:

adamcarr
10/09/2009, 10:57 PM
This could be the wrong thread but can Ireland be drawn against South American opposition in this play off?

If possible could someone give me a link to how the whole thing works at this stage.

theworm2345
10/09/2009, 11:12 PM
This could be the wrong thread but can Ireland be drawn against South American opposition in this play off?

If possible could someone give me a link to how the whole thing works at this stage.
No the playoffs for 2010 are between 4th place in CONCACAF and 5th place in CONMEBOL, between the top 8 second place finishers in UEFA, and the two third place AFC teams play to decide who plays the first place OFC team (Bahrain vs New Zealand).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification

Stuttgart88
11/09/2009, 11:10 AM
Where's Iran when we need them?

Donegalcelt
11/09/2009, 12:45 PM
we'd probably be better getting our 0-0 at home first and then getting our 1-1 away

paul_oshea
11/09/2009, 1:35 PM
I agree celt. the way we play trap would be happy with an away draw, our luck could seriouslly run out/kilbane could be a donkey and we lose a goal, we then need to score 2 goals. Go away knowing what we nned to do.

geysir
12/09/2009, 12:38 PM
One day Paul, just when you least expect it, a slither of optimism will slip in unawares and create mayhem in an already confused situation.

Scram
12/09/2009, 1:58 PM
Where's Iran when we need them?

Yeah unfortunately they're not in Europe, unlike Israel! ps. glad to see the cheating Israelis won't qualify though it would be a real pleasure to knock them out in the playoffs.

SuperDave
13/09/2009, 3:02 PM
the big benefit of being at home second will be a bad pitch, whereas if we are at home first, the pitch will be better.

a bad pitch is much more likely to favour us over a shorter passing team....