PDA

View Full Version : Why a win against italy would be a good thing

cavan_fan
10/09/2009, 8:10 PM
Strikes me that there is a bit of an attitude creeping in that the Italy game is now basically irrelevant and a draw is fine etc etc. So reasons I want us to win:

A point will not be enough for us to qualify. assume Bulgaria win their last 2 games then they will have a beeter goal diff than us if we only get a point. It is entirely within our capability to lose to Montenegro on the last day so I'd like to get 2nd in the bag vs Italy.

We need to build some momentum before the likely play offs. At the moment the team seem to be lacking in confidence. A win against the world champions might keep us going for a month or so. In any case it will convince the players we can win big games whcih we will need to do.

There are seeding points etc for future campaigns. We need to be a second seed in future.

The least likely reason is that Italy could lose to Cyprus. a very small number of stranger things have happened.

Finally, of course because I want us to win.

MeathDrog
10/09/2009, 8:13 PM
All fine in words, but I think we'd all settle for the point V Italy.

Murfinator
10/09/2009, 8:54 PM
Italy were very good last night, if we could beat a team like that I'd fill me with confidence ahead of the playoffs.

That and beating Cyprus anywhere isn't a given for them, might as well give ourselves a shot at topping the group.

Dun Laoire
10/09/2009, 9:05 PM
Strikes me that there is a bit of an attitude creeping in that the Italy game is now basically irrelevant and a draw is fine etc etc. So reasons I want us to win:

A point will not be enough for us to qualify. assume Bulgaria win their last 2 games then they will have a beeter goal diff than us if we only get a point. It is entirely within our capability to lose to Montenegro on the last day so I'd like to get 2nd in the bag vs Italy.

We need to build some momentum before the likely play offs. At the moment the team seem to be lacking in confidence. A win against the world champions might keep us going for a month or so. In any case it will convince the players we can win big games whcih we will need to do.

There are seeding points etc for future campaigns. We need to be a second seed in future.

The least likely reason is that Italy could lose to Cyprus. a very small number of stranger things have happened.

Finally, of course because I want us to win.

If we beat Italy all Cyrpus need to do is get a point, they don't have to win. Highly unlikely but it's possible.

We need to beat Montenegro of course

Irish_Praha
10/09/2009, 9:29 PM
If we beat Italy all Cyrpus need to do is get a point, they don't have to win. Highly unlikely but it's possible.

We need to beat Montenegro of course

If we did beat Italy and Montenegro but Italy beat Cyprus would would indeed have a bit of momentum going into the play-off after winning our last 4 games in a row. However if someone gave me the two draws i would take them now.

Stuttgart88
10/09/2009, 9:35 PM
We should do what we can to ensure a minimum of a play off spot asap.

In my view I think we'd be foolish not to try hard to win the game against Italy. Anything else is brinkmanship.

cavan_fan
10/09/2009, 9:39 PM
the downside is i'd be more p*ssed off about the Bulgaria home game

Greenbod
10/09/2009, 9:46 PM
Why a win against Italy would be a good thing?

Eh.....because as an Irish fan I like my team to win.

Now if I were an Italian fan, I would not think this a good thing.

theworm2345
10/09/2009, 9:48 PM
Everyone seems to have forgotten that we are second from bottom in the second place qualifying table and last place is eliminated. A draw could mean Ireland do no control their own future against Montenegro. I want 3 points.

rebelmusic
10/09/2009, 9:51 PM
Everyone seems to have forgotten that we are second from bottom in the second place qualifying table and last place is eliminated. A draw could mean Ireland do no control their own future against Montenegro. I want 3 points.

If we get 1 point from the next 2 games we're better than norway, and since we need 2 points to be sure of a playoff, we can pretty much disregard the second place qualifying table at this stage.

theworm2345
10/09/2009, 10:00 PM
If we get 1 point from the next 2 games we're better than norway, and since we need 2 points to be sure of a playoff, we can pretty much disregard the second place qualifying table at this stage.
Right, I forgot Norway were done :o

abbeyvale
10/09/2009, 10:13 PM
We should do what we can to ensure a minimum of a play off spot asap.

In my view I think we'd be foolish not to try hard to win the game against Italy. Anything else is brinkmanship.

If Ireland go all out for victory v Italy it could easily back fire and we could end up losing the game, then if Bulgaria won v Cyprus the same night, we'd all be sh**ting ourselves v Montenegro on the last day.

Play it by year v Italy and take the point if we can get it...............that would mean Bulgaria would have to win both their games and Ireland to lose at home to Montenegro (for Bulgaria to qualify)

SuperDave
10/09/2009, 10:19 PM
If Ireland go all out for victory v Italy it could easily back fire and we could end up losing the game, then if Bulgaria won v Cyprus the same night, we'd all be sh**ting ourselves v Montenegro on the last day.

Play it by year v Italy and take the point if we can get it...............that would mean Bulgaria would have to win both their games and Ireland to lose at home to Montenegro (for Bulgaria to qualify)

it's over before we kick off....

mandrake
11/09/2009, 9:23 AM
i think it would keep the momentum going if we won v italy, howeverr two italian managers, ireland cant finish a team off and italy are capable of scoring only means one thing 1-1 the most probable of irsih results since june1988...!!!

Duggie
11/09/2009, 9:41 AM
we have to go for the win, there's still a chance of topping the group. if we could beat italy we all know cyprus will be no pushovers for the italians. likewise montenegro wont be for us either but as long as there is a chance course we have to go out to win the game.

Duggie
11/09/2009, 9:45 AM

oh ya thats a great attitude. and what if cyprus did draw in italy the next game. forget the what if's. try to win the game and dont worry about the other games just look after ourselves.

rebelmusic
11/09/2009, 10:03 AM
I think the one plus for me is that if we beat italy then trap has no excuse to playing defensive football for the montenegro match since a draw is as good as losing when it comes to qualification (granted seeding might be a bearing).

Going into a game that has a win only option on it might let us see a different side to his tactics. Regardless, it would make for a great last day of the group, would also mean we'd be the only unbeaten team in the group which is always nice.

Greenbod
11/09/2009, 1:48 PM
oh ya thats a great attitude. and what if cyprus did draw in italy the next game. forget the what if's. try to win the game and dont worry about the other games just look after ourselves.

Exactly! I don't understand this debate......sounds like some people think we should try not to win?!?!?! What's that all about??

tricky_colour
11/09/2009, 6:59 PM
Is it worth pointing out that Italy only need a draw themselves?

Greenbod
12/09/2009, 12:20 AM
Is it worth pointing out that Italy only need a draw themselves?

No...