PDA

View Full Version : Sheringham calls Townsend a "fake Irishman"!

Pages : [1] 2 3

dong
09/09/2009, 9:13 PM
During the post match analysis after the England game tonight. Townsend just laughed. You'd think he'd take exception to that.

Pauro 76
09/09/2009, 9:14 PM
I saw that! Didnt bother Townsend in the slightest.

elroy
09/09/2009, 9:27 PM
How the hell did this come up in conversation?? I dont think Townsend has ever been shy in saying that he wouldve played for england first if selected.

Sproston Green
09/09/2009, 9:31 PM
How the hell did this come up in conversation?? I dont think Townsend has ever been shy in saying that he wouldve played for england first if selected.

I guess it was the whole "we" have qualified malarky.

Bit embarassing that our most high profile pundit can't come back with anything or show any pride

seanfhear
09/09/2009, 9:39 PM
I thought Andy handled it okay and it was a bit juvenile from Sheringham to be honest.

Andy had just given Sheringham and McManaman a little dig about giving Erickson the run around when he was the English manager.
It was along the lines that they just took it for granted that they would be in the squad. It obviously hit a sore spot with Teddy.

hoops1
09/09/2009, 9:49 PM
During the post match analysis after the England game tonight. Townsend just laughed. You'd think he'd take exception to that.

why? Its true

Jicked
09/09/2009, 9:56 PM
Yeah, Townsend played for Ireland. I've never heard him express, or imply any sort of affinity with Ireland either. Personally I wouldn't consider him Irish, and I doubt he considers himself Irish either.

Colbert Report
09/09/2009, 10:24 PM
He was our captain!

tricky_colour
09/09/2009, 10:34 PM
Townsend not only met the Irish Football Association's requirements of: "being pretty fecking tall and taking his drink," but he qualified to captain the side at World Cup 1994 by successfully naming Dublin as the Republic's capital city.

http://backofthenet.wikia.com/wiki/Andy_Townsend

irishfan86
09/09/2009, 10:46 PM
Townsend not only met the Irish Football Association's requirements of: "being pretty fecking tall and taking his drink," but he qualified to captain the side at World Cup 1994 by successfully naming Dublin as the Republic's capital city.

http://backofthenet.wikia.com/wiki/Andy_Townsend

Didn't realize he played for the North.

backstothewall
09/09/2009, 11:15 PM
why? Its true

He was doing his best to remember to call Ireland 'we' during the highlights show. Its so true. Is it bad that he was our captain at the world cup and i want him to be injured in such a way that he loses his voice?

IsMiseSean
09/09/2009, 11:37 PM
Its embarrasing to think he was once our captain....

tetsujin1979
09/09/2009, 11:41 PM
it's embarrassing to think some of you are fans

backstothewall
09/09/2009, 11:48 PM
Its not much to ask that if someone plays for us they don't forget about that fact as soon as they hang up their boots. Some of our most passionate players have been English. No one could ever accuse John Aldridge, Jason McAtter or Zizu Kilbane of being plastic paddy's, but watching Townsend or Lawrenson stumbling between calling us Ireland, with the occasional 'we' thrown in, when thet remember that holiday to Italy or Germany is embarrassing.

SwanVsDalton
09/09/2009, 11:51 PM
Townsend should have nothing to prove. He gave his all in a green shirt and was a proud and committed player. Moreover I remember he was quite openly emotional in the ITV studio after Ireland were knocked out in 2002. But, sure, apparantly he has to bang on about Ireland every 5 seconds for any of that to count...:rolleyes:

danonion
10/09/2009, 12:09 AM
Andy Townsend what a player what a man I don't care what happens in English news studios.

Park_Lane
10/09/2009, 1:13 AM
We could do with an Andy Townsend in our current midfield.

Dodge
10/09/2009, 7:07 AM
Ah the ol' "If he's good enough he's Irish" debate. Haven't had one of those in a while.

Bonovox
10/09/2009, 7:19 AM
Townsend should have nothing to prove. He gave his all in a green shirt and was a proud and committed player. Moreover I remember he was quite openly emotional in the ITV studio after Ireland were knocked out in 2002. But, sure, apparantly he has to bang on about Ireland every 5 seconds for any of that to count...:rolleyes:

I know that Andy Townsend took out Irish Citizenship when playing for Ireland and holds an Irish Passport - one of the best players to captain an Irish side.

Dodge
10/09/2009, 7:38 AM
I know that Andy Townsend took out Irish Citizenship when playing for Ireland and holds an Irish Passport - one of the best players to captain an Irish side.

He doesn't travel on that Irish passport though.

reder
10/09/2009, 8:03 AM

Do you work in passport control or something?

centre mid
10/09/2009, 8:11 AM
Townsend was a fantastic player for Ireland, I dont think he was keeping any Irish Born player out of the side. I often listen to his morning show on talksport and he always refers to England as "us & "we", I dont have a problem with that in the slightest. He certainly rode the plastic paddy wave during the 90's along with a host of others but he always gave 100% when he lined out for Ireland.

dr_peepee
10/09/2009, 8:15 AM
Yeah, Townsend played for Ireland. I've never heard him express, or imply any sort of affinity with Ireland either. Personally I wouldn't consider him Irish, and I doubt he considers himself Irish either.

I have. Definately.... Off the top of my head he reminded Gabby Logan after the 2 all away draw with Holland and she cited it was a bad weekend for them all after the England result, and he reminded her it was a good weekend for him...

Could do with him now...

dr_peepee
10/09/2009, 8:22 AM
I remember once there was a minutes silence when he went back to Stamford Bridge with Villa for a televised Match... Nearly sure it was Sat afternoon on Network 2... Impecably observed until someone very audibly shouts

"TOWNSEND YOU W@***R"....

Hilarious... It was probbly Ronnie Whelan now that I see some posts here!!!

Drumcondra 69er
10/09/2009, 8:45 AM
Townsend openly admits that when he was on holidays during Euro 88 in some remote part of Spain he cycled to the nearest bar to cheer on England against us and was gutted when we beat them. Doesn't change the fact that once selected he represented the country with pride, was 100% committed and handled himself as captian with class dignity (apart from the blonde highlights in 94). He's a dreadful pundit but is less of a plastic paddy then Lawrenson for me.

And Teddy Sheringham has always been a tosser of the highest order.

Duggie
10/09/2009, 8:56 AM
lads townsend is english. he played for us but hes english. obvisouly id prefer if we had 100 per cent irish players all the time but thats not the case. i dont look at them the same as the irish players tho. even tho mcgeady i really like given all the stick hes taken he never reacted and always wanted to play for us. personally if i was manager i wouldnt go looking for any of these players with irish connections.

bennocelt
10/09/2009, 9:14 AM
Yeah he is def English..........but not such a big deal really.........he did the business on the pitch................its just a pity he is an awful pundit and a bit of an airhead

luka
10/09/2009, 9:20 AM
Sheringham and Townsend are actually the best of buddies lads. Both can always be spotted at the Walthamstow dog track with a few other former players like Terry Fenwick, Terry Hurlock etc......

I'm sure there was nothing in Sheringhams remark and twas nothing more than a wind-up.

Someone mentioned that Sheri was a bit of a tosser and I'd agree with that. Another of you mentioned that Townsend may be English but he did the business on the park for us and I'd also agree with that.

paul_oshea
10/09/2009, 9:22 AM
so Dodge doesn't work in passport control, is that the point of this thread?!

I doubt he is seen with him at walthamstow dogs to be honest.

Ozymandias
10/09/2009, 9:23 AM
Townsend openly admits that when he was on holidays during Euro 88 in some remote part of Spain he cycled to the nearest bar to cheer on England against us and was gutted when we beat them. Doesn't change the fact that once selected he represented the country with pride, was 100% committed and handled himself as captian with class dignity (apart from the blonde highlights in 94). He's a dreadful pundit but is less of a plastic paddy then Lawrenson for me.

And Teddy Sheringham has always been a tosser of the highest order.

Lawrenson always says we when talking about Ireland.....to understate his contribution to Irish soccer is amazing...he declared for us when we used to qualify for nothing....townsend declared when we had had success with Jack

luka
10/09/2009, 9:25 AM
I doubt he is seen with him at walthamstow dogs to be honest

And why would you say that?

bennocelt
10/09/2009, 9:27 AM

isnt it closed down? Top stop it was too, rough and edgy!

OwlsFan
10/09/2009, 9:30 AM
lads townsend is english. he played for us but hes english. obvisouly id prefer if we had 100 per cent irish players all the time but thats not the case. i dont look at them the same as the irish players tho. even tho mcgeady i really like given all the stick hes taken he never reacted and always wanted to play for us. personally if i was manager i wouldnt go looking for any of these players with irish connections.

Das ist gut. You must have Aryan blut zu play for Irlandski. Sieg heil. Only 100% blut vill qualify. Ve don't vant mischlings (i.e. contaminated blut) despite the fact that millions of Irelanskis had to emigrate to feed their families. Only 100%. Hohren Sie mir. No contaminated blut!! Nein nein nein. Niemals. Never, never. A blut test for all who vant to play for uns. Dat's vat I say.

Sieg heil.

luka
10/09/2009, 9:31 AM
isnt it closed down? Top stop it was too, rough and edgy!

Ah!! Thanks Bennecelt. I wasn't aware of that. Twould have been easier if yer man had stated that in the first place. Anyway, 'when it was open' those two were always be seen there, at least in my day they were anyway.

paul_oshea
10/09/2009, 9:32 AM
Nothing rough and edgy about it benno, its a bit of east london but if you want to see rough and edgy head to The Red Lion down at bermondsey on Millwall match day and you will get edgy, if thats what you want. Add to that yer not drinking and fellas with bulldog tatooed into the sides of their heads and you in an irish accent, and all of a sudden it becomes rough and ready as oppossed to edgy.....

Yes the dogs have been closed for ages now, so i doubt they would be down there together.

FarBeag
10/09/2009, 9:32 AM

No such event,it closed down over a year ago.Anyway i loved Townsend as a player and never heard him refer to England as ''us'' unlike lawrenson. Townsend even said last night that he hoped that 'we' ireland made it through the play-offs.

irishfan86
10/09/2009, 9:44 AM
Sons and grandsons of immigrants will have mixed loyalties.

Townsend was born and raised in England, and is an Englishman, but it is clear that he also loves Ireland, and wants us to do well. By law he is an Irishman, and has represented us well.

Is it beyond comprehension that one can be both English AND Irish?

geysir
10/09/2009, 9:51 AM
Some Irish take a Teddy Sheringham wind up, seriously :rolleyes:

My sense of national self esteem has taken another battering:D

bennocelt
10/09/2009, 10:08 AM
Nothing rough and edgy about it benno, its a bit of east london but if you want to see rough and edgy head to The Red Lion down at bermondsey on Millwall match day and you will get edgy, if thats what you want. Add to that yer not drinking and fellas with bulldog tatooed into the sides of their heads and you in an irish accent, and all of a sudden it becomes rough and ready as oppossed to edgy.....

ah it was when i was there........:p
by the way.........i dont live too far from Bermondsey but jesus i have more sense to drink there on match days - but my brother used to a lot and never had any probs............you might be surprised that a good few of them have Irish relations!!!!

Bluebeard
10/09/2009, 12:09 PM
Is it beyond comprehension that one can be both English AND Irish?

The definitive line (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKoS5X4SMrY) on the matter from a man who has a few...

Murfinator
10/09/2009, 12:26 PM
I know it's a controversial topic on here so I'll just throw out that I don't think people who would play for other countries as first priority should be or should have been anywhere near the international team and that includes Townsend.

And I'll leave it at that.

irishfan86
10/09/2009, 12:29 PM
I just don't think people understand the immigrant experience sometimes.

Ireland would be my first choice (born there to Irish parents), but I would be proud to represent Canada where I was raised if asked.

I don't think this attitude makes me any less Irish or Canadian.

Murfinator
10/09/2009, 12:35 PM
I just don't think people understand the immigrant experience sometimes.

I don't understand it, to me if you leave a country you're choosing country B over country A as your preferred home which surely translates to it being your country of choice. But then I'm from a different generation so it's hard for me to relate to the situation people in the past were in.

Scram
10/09/2009, 12:40 PM
I thought Andy handled it okay and it was a bit juvenile from Sheringham to be honest.

Andy had just given Sheringham and McManaman a little dig about giving Erickson the run around when he was the English manager.
It was along the lines that they just took it for granted that they would be in the squad. It obviously hit a sore spot with Teddy.

To be expected from these Muppets. Most unlikebale team and "fans" in the World!

Shelsman
10/09/2009, 1:03 PM

Tony Blair's kids and Mel Gibson also have Irish Passports. The Blairs qualified because Tony's mother was from Donegal. Mel qualified because he made a film here (I sh!t you not).

:confused:

By the way, the last referendum ye passed (can't remember it but will try to dig it out) entitles ANY person born in ANY part of the UK to gain Irish Citizenship :mad:. Obviously whatever money the voters were promised if they voted 'Yes' was more important, though I suspect that people were oblivious to this (Matt Cooper kept ignoring my texts on The Last Word!).

Wolfie
10/09/2009, 1:07 PM
Tony Blair's kids and Mel Gibson also have Irish Passports. The Blairs qualified because Tony's mother was from Donegal. Mel qualified because he made a film here (I sh!t you not).

By the way, the last referendum ye passed (can't remember it but will try to dig it out) entitles ANY person born in ANY part of the UK to gain Irish Citizenship :mad:. Obviously whatever money the voters were promised if they voted 'Yes' was more important, though I suspect that people were oblivious to this (Matt Cooper kept ignoring my texts on The Last Word!).

Hey Man - CHILL!! We're all children of the Universe with a Passport of Love!!!! Grooooovy.

..................wha the .....Jaysus, sorry about that, Shels Man.

I was undergoing hypnosis there. Regression therapy into one of my past lives. Its 1967!!!!!

Drumcondra 69er
10/09/2009, 1:12 PM
Lawrenson always says we when talking about Ireland.....to understate his contribution to Irish soccer is amazing...he declared for us when we used to qualify for nothing....townsend declared when we had had success with Jack

Where did I underestimate his contribution to Irish soccer? He also always refers to England as 'we'. And he got called up when he was nowhere near an England call up or his Liverpool move.

He was a magnificent player but he's also a dreadful pundit and generally comes across as a smug smart arse who believes he's funnier then he actually is.

Duggie
10/09/2009, 1:14 PM
well all i know is im 100 per cent born and bred irish and proud ta be. best country on earth. :ball:

Drumcondra 69er
10/09/2009, 1:17 PM

This is of course, nonsense. Any person born on the island of Ireland yes, the UK doesn't come into it.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/moving-country/irish-citizenship/irish_citizenship_through_birth_or_descent

Wangball
10/09/2009, 1:17 PM
..........and generally comes across as a smug smart arse who believes he's funnier then he actually is.

You've just described 99.9% of all the posters on this forum