PDA

View Full Version : Ireland V South Africa - Tuesday, 8th September 2009 - Friendly - Thomond Park

Pages : 1 2 [3]

DeLorean
09/09/2009, 12:26 PM
If it's a choice between Folan and (injury prone) JVOH to play, I'd say Folan will still get plenty of game time and possibly learn a few tricks from his rival.

Fingers crossed. The lack of matches hasn't afftected his Irish performances to date yet, thankfully.

Scram
09/09/2009, 12:37 PM
I thought Nolan was awful.

rambler14
09/09/2009, 12:38 PM
I thought Nolan was awful.

Looks extremely slow........even slower than Kilbane, a man 10 years his senior!

Scram
09/09/2009, 12:45 PM
Looks extremely slow........even slower than Kilbane, a man 10 years his senior!

and gave the ball away like it had Swine Flu

shakermaker1982
09/09/2009, 12:54 PM
It wasn't pretty but it was effective. South Africa dominated possession but never looked like scoring.

I thought Kelly defended well (covered the centre backs on two occasions) but was very sloppy in possession. Nolan at least runs out to the wide man and tries to close him down unlike Kilbane but again he was also wasteful in possession. St Ledger and McShane were solid. No real errors there.

Keogh isn't a wide player and can be excused from a real assessment. Lawrence put some decent crosses in and took his goal very well. Gibson was non existant (again). Andrews was slightly busier but both struggled. The game just passed em by. Fair enough they sat in front of the two centre backs and we didn't concede but they didn't probe and always took the easy option when they were in possession e.g. back to the keeper. It looks like Whelan and Andrews will be the central pairing once again for the Italy game because Gibson didn't do enough but I hope and pray two central midfielders fall from the sky who a) want to play for us b) can pass a ball but also fit into the Trap's system.

Folan worked hard, won a lot of headers and is a useful player to spring from the bench (as is Leon Best). I'm surprised Stoke haven't tried to buy Folan because he'd be ideal for them.

DeLorean
09/09/2009, 1:03 PM
I'm surprised Stoke havn't tried to buy Folan because he'd be ideal for them.

Well they signed Tuncay who's a quality player and already have Beattie and Kitson as target men as well as Fuller.

shakermaker1982
09/09/2009, 1:15 PM
Well they signed Tuncay who's a quality player and already have Beattie and Kitson as target men as well as Fuller.

Nothing wrong with a squad of depth! Folan would thrive on their set piece deliveries. Folan is a defenders nightmare and I love his attitude on the pitch.

Stuttgart88
09/09/2009, 1:16 PM
JVOH went how long without a goal at Celtic?

Anyway, I thought Folan did really well in Bulgaria & Italy, less well last night. In his other games he brought others into the game but last night the ball wouldn't stick. He had great nuisance value but I've seen him do better for us.

I'm glad the consensus is that Keogh is exempt from serious assessment.

Stuttgart88
09/09/2009, 1:18 PM
Could Kelly have played his way into Trap's thoughts (assuming Finnan hasn't had game time)? Kelly & JOS as full backs, on whatever side Trap decides.

Drumcondra 69er
09/09/2009, 1:28 PM
Also, I’m astonished that no matter how obvious it is that our midfield are being destroyed that Trap still does not change. Quite obvious to any opposition that simply deploying a 4-5-1 against us will beat us!

Yet no one has managed that in a competitive game.

Have you sent your managerial CV in to the respective FA's of Italy, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Montenegro or Georgia yet?

Drumcondra 69er
09/09/2009, 1:29 PM
Could Kelly have played his way into Trap's thoughts (assuming Finnan hasn't had game time)? Kelly & JOS as full backs, on whatever side Trap decides.

No, I thought Kelly was poor tbh, I don't see any changes to the 11 barring injuries.

DeLorean
09/09/2009, 1:30 PM
Nothing wrong with a squad of depth! Folan would thrive on their set piece deliveries. Folan is a defenders nightmare and I love his attitude on the pitch.

Yeah I just wouldn't like to see him as 5th choice striker, although he's surely as good as Kitson.

I'm glad the consensus is that Keogh is exempt from serious assessment.

Hopefully he'll be exempt from starting on the wing from now on.

Wouldn't mind it at all. I think he's a good defender and basically he'd be just coming in for Kilbane.

geysir
09/09/2009, 1:38 PM
Kelly showed enough that he has the promise of being able to play better.
He needs to get his place on his club team

centre mid
09/09/2009, 1:42 PM
A draw is the best result as everything is still in our hands, an Italian win while pretty much guaranteeing our 2nd place will prevent us topping the group. I'd like to think we can get a win at home to Italy.

Stuttgart88
09/09/2009, 1:51 PM
Off topic a bit - I think tonight's games across Europe are fascinating, NI's group in particular (Czechs in 5th!). Group 1 (Denmark, Hungary, Sweden, Portugal) is a good one too.

I don't think anyone will fancy going to NI and NI are capable of getting results against decent teams away. I'd say Poland & czech rep would iprefer to be in their shoes.

NI have the edge over Poland - they'll win the head-to-head if level. Czechs might still win 3 out of 3 - but they'll have to.

geysir
09/09/2009, 1:55 PM
Head to head doesn't matter
goal difference is the first criteria if teams finish level on points.

Stuttgart88
09/09/2009, 3:24 PM
Thanks, I stand corrected.

SkStu
09/09/2009, 3:25 PM
I think Lawrence may have played himself just about into contention. In a team where the tactics rely on soaking up a lot of pressure and trying to snatch a goal from a set piece or counter attack then Lawrences threat from set pieces and from distance could be very valuable. Especially when you consider Hunts disappointing turn at the weekend and McGeady's general ineffectiveness.

Lawrence offers good technique, good set piece option, good stamina and controlled aggression. All he has to do is keep it going and learn Traps system.

Scram
09/09/2009, 5:11 PM
I think Lawrence may have played himself just about into contention. In a team where the tactics rely on soaking up a lot of pressure and trying to snatch a goal from a set piece or counter attack then Lawrences threat from set pieces and from distance could be very valuable. Especially when you consider Hunts disappointing turn at the weekend and McGeady's general ineffectiveness.

Lawrence offers good technique, good set piece option, good stamina and controlled aggression. All he has to do is keep it going and learn Traps system.

McGeady has been the only player who looked like he might have any effect over the last few games and the RTE panelists like myself were calling for his inclusion at half time v Cyprus. Hunt should not have started ahead of him by any account.

SkStu
09/09/2009, 5:35 PM
ultimately his contributions have been about average for the most part. He hasnt set the international stage alight just yet.

I think he will come good its just that at the moment, from what ive seen over the last year, he's quite average.

I think Lawrence is not too far away from making a breakthrough at someones expense. If we qualify he could really push on and claim a place in the pre WC friendlies.

tricky_colour
09/09/2009, 5:47 PM
Can anyone remember the last time Ireland scored from a free kick and who scored it? Im thinking of Ian Harte against Isreal.

Or did Hunt take one which went straight in?

Greenbod
09/09/2009, 5:56 PM
Can anyone remember the last time Ireland scored from a free kick and who scored it? Im thinking of Ian Harte against Isreal.

Or did Hunt take one which went straight in?

Andy Reid v San Marino?

tricky_colour
09/09/2009, 6:23 PM
Andy Reid v San Marino?

That was pretty horrible, took a nasty deflection, very poor goal.

Scram
10/09/2009, 5:15 PM

I don't remember thinking that!! :eek:

theworm2345
10/09/2009, 6:41 PM
I don't know about that but I do believe that it went down as an own goal

BigmanCas
10/09/2009, 6:48 PM

no - not good enough

DeLorean
12/09/2016, 2:40 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVQwpZl--Zs

DeLorean
13/09/2016, 8:05 AM
Closed thread.