PDA

View Full Version : Noel Hunt

Red_terror
11/02/2004, 7:06 PM
Ex-rovers man just scored against the celts, having a good game game so far, nice to see eircom league talent progressing

EireBadBoy
11/02/2004, 7:09 PM
Fair Play to him!!

tiktok
11/02/2004, 7:23 PM
he's started brightly enough. shame the dunfermiline defence can't match it, two-one to celtic five minutes later.

Roo69
12/02/2004, 9:37 AM
Originally posted by Red_terror
Ex-rovers man just scored against the celts, having a good game game so far, nice to see eircom league talent progressing

"And they fell behind in the 18th minute as Hunt snapped up the goal his start merited. When Crawford’s run was halted the ball ricocheted wide for Greg Shields to tee up Nicholson for a cross that had Douglas fooled.

And crafty Noel stole the space to plant a far-post header back into the corner of the net."

"If there was to be any way back for the Pars it would come from the courage and class of Hunt, who simply refused to chuck it and was punching way above his weight in the aerial tussles.

He troubled Valgaeren enough near-post to pop the ball up and prod in a volley but Douglas had the angles down cold."

From the sun

paudie
12/02/2004, 10:36 AM
He looked very comfortable at SPL level.

pete
12/02/2004, 10:56 AM
3 eL players in that Dunfirmline squad last night.

Noel as ease in the game (only seen 1st half) & its not as if he's twice the player he was when with Rovers.

Funny to Johnny Giles praise him at half time saying it his first time see him play & suggest maybe he up for the irish team. I;m not knocking Hunt but just goes to show that eL player won't get credit til play abroad at any level.

Dodge
12/02/2004, 11:08 AM
Exactly. Fair play to hunt but according to RTE news last night "Irish international" Noel Hunt scored. I can think of 4/5 better strikers than him im our league but he scores 2 goals in the SPL and all of sudden people can't believe he's not in the squad...

And Richie Byrne is possibly the worst ex-eL player ever to play in a fully professional league

pete
12/02/2004, 11:24 AM
I think Hunt was one of the best forwards in the league when he in the eL. On what I saw last night doing the same things he used to do with Rovers.

I think the disappointing thing is the way former LOI players such as Giles, Dunphy 'n Co have completely abandoned their National League & probably not been at a game for 10 or 20 years.

pineapple stu
12/02/2004, 12:23 PM
He scored in their Cup game against Clyde at the weekend as well before it got abandoned.

Iorfa
13/02/2004, 10:04 PM
To be fair to Noel, he has had a series of injuries since he joined Dunfermline, but it is good to see him and Gary doing well over there

Bosco
14/02/2004, 6:44 PM
Scored again today

thecorner
14/02/2004, 10:52 PM
always was and always will be rovers scum

brandy86
15/02/2004, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by thecorner
always was and always will be rovers scum

He may be from Waterford, he may have played for Shamrock Rovers but he sure is a very good player!

And by the way he is not scum, i think its time you grew up abit lad! ;)

Slash/ED
15/02/2004, 2:02 PM
Originally posted by xtreme rebel
Noel hunt is poor in comparison to O'flynn,o'callaghan,kevin doyle,fenn, shane barrett,glen crowe and jason byrne in our league. It not that hard to score in the SPL. Richie Byrne is hpleless also.

No he isn't. I agree there's not much difference in class between the EL and most of the SPL (That being the SPL - 2 teams) but he was one of the best players here when he was here, imo, and I was saying at the time he'll play for Ireland one day and nothings changed as far as I'm concerned. He'll be an international before the end of the year if he keeps his form up and he should be able to do that.

tiktok
15/02/2004, 6:57 PM
Long may his form continue, we could do with as many stiking options as we can.

Martinho II
15/02/2004, 9:06 PM
We dont hear much with Dunfermlines Gary Dempsey these days. Is he still playing for the first team?

Colm
15/02/2004, 9:26 PM
John O'Flynn and George O'Callaghan are better than Noel Hunt, why aren't the "experts" calling for them to be picked for Ireland?
Hunt is good but he never stood out for me when he was at Rovers and he's merely doing the same thing at Dunfermline so why do people think he's so great all of a sudden? It's sad that so many Irish people automatically think he's better because he plays in the SPL (which is a heap of **** anyway)!

Waterfordfootie
16/02/2004, 10:51 AM
"Rovers Scum"??

Grow up. Noel happens to be really improving at his game. He's scored in every game that he started this season. Who cares who he plays or played for?? The fact that he's a young Irish lad should be enough to get him support on this site. And it just so happens that Noel Hunt is one of the nicest lads you could meet. Give credit where its due. Its great to see him back after the hard start he had to the season with his injuries. Good luck to him!!!

dortie
16/02/2004, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Colm
John O'Flynn and George O'Callaghan are better than Noel Hunt, why aren't the "experts" calling for them to be picked for Ireland?
Hunt is good but he never stood out for me when he was at Rovers and he's merely doing the same thing at Dunfermline so why do people think he's so great all of a sudden? It's sad that so many Irish people automatically think he's better because he plays in the SPL (which is a heap of **** anyway)!

In all fairness I do agree about O'Flynn...he is a class act....im not convinced about O'Callaghan the times i seen him play against us last year !!

Alan Murphy will be top scorer this year anyway :D

Colm
16/02/2004, 4:01 PM
Originally posted by dortie
In all fairness I do agree about O'Flynn...he is a class act....im not convinced about O'Callaghan the times i seen him play against us last year !!

Flynny's a better goalscorer, Georgie's a better all round player.
Overall there's not much between them really, both have bags of skill and would walk into any team in the league.

Slash/ED
16/02/2004, 5:59 PM
I'd take O'Flynn long before O'Callaghan. Georgies good, but over rated probably as a backlash to those in Turners Cross who spend their time abusing him.

Colm
16/02/2004, 6:19 PM
Originally posted by Slash/ED
Georgies good, but over rated probably as a backlash to those in Turners Cross who spend their time abusing him.

Overrated? What a load of boll0cks!
If Georgie played for Shels he'd be the first name on the team sheet every week.

Slash/ED
16/02/2004, 6:34 PM
If I could pick between Byrne, O'Flynn and O'Callaghan, Georgie would be the odd one out.

RedX
16/02/2004, 8:07 PM
In fairness this thread was started with reference to Noel Hunt...

I seen the game and it was the first time i seen him being interviewed also.He sounds like a decent guy and he is playing very well.All the best to him and in time maybe he can get a place ahead of some of the mock Irishmen that are being touted around in the newspapers these days to play for Ireland..

All the best Noel...

Bosco
16/02/2004, 8:22 PM
Originally posted by Colm

Agree that its sad the way everyone in ireland suddenly think hes brilliant.But its unfair to him to say he was never anything special.When he was in the league he was probly the best striker and i think if he was still here he'd be one of the best.I don't know about o'flynn but i would certainly pick him over o'callaghan(no disrespect to o'callaghan hes a great player)

TommyT
17/02/2004, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by Slash/ED
I'd take O'Flynn long before O'Callaghan. Georgies good, but over rated probably as a backlash to those in Turners Cross who spend their time abusing him.

Depends what team you were signing him for. If I was picking an EL XI I'd have O'Callaghan upfront as a foil for Crowe (to be replaced by Liam Coyle with 20 mins to go).

Aberdonian Stu
24/02/2004, 10:25 AM
I was at the Aberdeen-Dunfermline game at the weekend. Richie Byrne was on for the Pars, apparently they were playing 3-5-2 but Byrne was playing very defensively on the left and I thought he was simply playing left back. Looked a bit of a donkey and the Pars fans I talked to afterwards don't know much about him, although he wasn't at fault for either goal.

They are big fans of Hunt though and want him partnering Stevie Crawford more often, he missed the game through injury but not all of the lads I was talking to knew that and some were annoyed he wasn't starting so that's a good sign.

SammyTheTammy
08/03/2004, 1:56 PM
Hey well said Noel is an amazing Player and i will be surprised if he doesn't make it into the international squad by the end of the year!He's amazing!

SÓC
08/03/2004, 2:05 PM
Originally posted by TommyT
If I was picking an EL XI I'd have O'Callaghan upfront as a foil for Crowe

Thats the problem with O'Callaghan. He's not an out and out striker and he's not a traditional midfielder. If you had someone like Kevin Hunt along side him in central midfield it would be a savage partnership.