View Full Version : GAA gets higher ratings than Ireland Qualifier

Pages : [1] 2 3

an_ceannaire
08/09/2009, 9:14 AM
http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=117471

Surprised?

elroy
08/09/2009, 9:19 AM
Not a huge difference in fairness, good ratings for a game against a team the calibre of Cyprus.

A more accurate comparision will be our biggest game of the year to date, Italy at home, against the other sports biggest games.

Once again, I feel the Irish international team will hold the highest tv rating for a sport event for the year.

gspain
08/09/2009, 9:47 AM
It is a surprise as normally the bigger football matches get the higher ratings. We do however have more of a pub culture for watching football rather than the GAA. Unfortunately too many football fans in this country only watch football in pubs.

The figures obviously just include the RTE numbers and the game was also available on Sky Sports.

Both figures actually seem high as well although I see the Late Late eclipsed both games.

Stuttgart88
08/09/2009, 9:58 AM
I see the peak RTE figure was late in the game. Given George Hamilton's jinx I'd say many turned to SKY to watch the end of the game!

gael353
08/09/2009, 10:00 AM
i think if anything it shows that sport is the only show in town. I dont believe those figures for one second btw, knowing that RTE are a sponsor of said GAA programming. also as mentioned SKY also had the match so id add say another third or one quarter to the football figure. To see how bad tv is at the moment, and show how people of deserted the GAA propaganda machine that is RTE... the highest viewed normal programming is a show done ten years ago, recalling snippets of our tv past 25 years ago.....reeling in the years :rolleyes:

pineapple stu
08/09/2009, 10:07 AM
Reeling in the Years is one of the best programmes on any channel.

(And one other factor which hasn't been mentioned here which I'll just throw out - the GAA figures don't include the 80000 who were at the game, while the football figures don't include the 5000 at the game)

tetsujin1979
08/09/2009, 10:10 AM
what were the viewing figures for the Ireland - Wales 6 Nations game?

geysir
08/09/2009, 10:20 AM
Very good figures for the Cyprus game.

Though the Hurling final beat it x10 as a sporting spectacle.

Schumi
08/09/2009, 10:23 AM
Three people watched the Cyprus game on my TV, are we only counted as one? :D

pineapple stu
08/09/2009, 10:25 AM
You're counted as none.

paul_oshea
08/09/2009, 10:27 AM
Would that not just be your not counted. How can one be counted as none?!

Schumi
08/09/2009, 10:28 AM
You're counted as none.

GAA conspiracy! They probably counted me as watching the hurling game too even though I was watching recorded stuff.

Pauro 76
08/09/2009, 10:33 AM
Does the RTE player count as a rating?

Schumi
08/09/2009, 10:38 AM
From RTE (http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2009/0907/audiences.html):

On RTÉ.ie, 11,081 live streams were served for the online coverage of Ireland v Cyprus while 28,076 were streams were recorded for the Sunday Game

I presume those are the from the player.

elroy
08/09/2009, 10:50 AM
what were the viewing figures for the Ireland - Wales 6 Nations game?

There is a thread on it here somewhere. The viewing figures for the Irish international around the same time, must have been the Georgia game were (Im almost sure) higher than the six nations games, with perhaps the exception of the Wales games.

I know gspain has posted this before somewhere, but football (and I think ROI games at that) have been the no 1 sports viewed event on tv in something like 8 of the last ten years.

amaccann
08/09/2009, 10:56 AM
In fairness - and I HATE watching GAA - the hurling final was far more exciting to watch than Trap's Ireland is at the moment. Sure we may be on our merry way to South Africa, but in terms of sheer sporting entertainment, our footy team is painfully poor to watch sometimes. I don't blame anyone deciding to tune out.

eirebhoy
08/09/2009, 10:57 AM
Regarding the online figures, is the GAA available abroad while the soccer isn't?

Anyway, I'm sure the Sky Sports viewing figures would make up the difference in TV ratings.

elroy
08/09/2009, 11:00 AM
In fairness - and I HATE watching GAA - the hurling final was far more exciting to watch than Trap's Ireland is at the moment. Sure we may be on our merry way to South Africa, but in terms of sheer sporting entertainment, our footy team is painfully poor to watch sometimes. I don't blame anyone deciding to tune out.

I text newstalk about this point last night. I was at the hurling and yes it was a fantastic game, although a very high portion of scores from placed balls. Although the quality of the Irish game was poor, i was on the edge of my seat till the very end, not because it was highly entertaining but the intensity of it from my perspective was just as high as sun. I dont feel the need to justify one over the other unlike every second gaa pundit!!
I can understand how someone who only has a passing interest in both codes would think suns was better, but it varies from game to game, ive seen plenty of rubbish gaa games this year as well as very good football games.

Regarding the online figures, is the GAA available abroad while the soccer isn't?

I dont think so, im fairly sure setanta have gaa rights abroad.

Schumi
08/09/2009, 11:00 AM
Interesting link here (http://tvsales.rte.ie/insights/topsports.htm). The top 20 sports programmes of the year to July. Ireland v Wales is still top, the 771,000 figure for the hurling final seems to be comparable with the Av 000's column there. There's a good chance that Ireland v Italy or the Gaelic final could break that though.

Murfinator
08/09/2009, 11:19 AM
In reality soccer has become the 4th sport in this country after Football, Rugby and Hurling and even as a soccer fan I can't say the game isn't where it deserves to be in the pecking order. Football and Hurling are our national games and generally very exciting summer events.

Rugby conversely is not but the Irish teams and players are doing incredible in it at the moment and to be honest it's nice to support a worldwide sport where almost all of our players actually play in Ireland. Soccer lacks the characters that Rugby has in BOD and ROG who definitely are far more in touch with the average person than Robbie or the likes are.

All that is why I think this campaign is crucial for soccer in this country, Ireland have to reach this World Cup or soccer is going to be in serious trouble here, a World Cup would give the sport the boost it needs.

gustavo
08/09/2009, 11:31 AM
characters that Rugby has in BOD and ROG who definitely are far more in touch with the average person than Robbie or the likes are.
Such a pointless sweeping generalisation

All that is why I think this campaign is crucial for soccer in this country, Ireland have to reach this World Cup or soccer is going to be in serious trouble here, a World Cup would give the sport the boost it needs.
I somehow doubt that if we don't qualify that football will be in serious trouble here at all

pineapple stu
08/09/2009, 11:33 AM
Have you seen the FAI's accounts? :eek:

(But yeah, in terms of general support, I wouldn't make things that drastic)

Murfinator
08/09/2009, 11:35 AM
eh I don't think it's false to claim BOD and ROG have more popular personalities than anybody in the Irish team. I'd say Stephen Hunt is the only real personality in the side.

And maybe the sport wouldn't be in the dire trouble for not qualifying but it'd certainly stay rooted in 4th while kids continue to pour into Rugby schools.

Even look at today, were the Irish national soccer team is struggling to get 10,000 into a stadium Munster fill regularly with ease. Would you have believed that 10 years ago? What would be pointless would be to deny the swing that has taken place in recent years.

drummerboy
08/09/2009, 11:45 AM
eh I don't think it's false to claim BOD and ROG have more popular personalities than anybody in the Irish team. I'd say Stephen Hunt is the only real personality in the side.

And maybe the sport wouldn't be in the dire trouble for not qualifying but it'd certainly stay rooted in 4th while kids continue to pour into Rugby schools.

Even look at today, were the Irish national soccer team is struggling to get 10,000 into a stadium Munster fill regularly with ease. Would you have believed that 10 years ago? What would be pointless would be to deny the swing that has taken place in recent years.

Don't know where you live but I don't see any extra kids pouring into rugby schools in Dublin, especially now with the recession. Association football is still the no one participation sport in the country.
As regards the game in Limerick tonight, I think if it was being played in Dublin the attendance would be at least 25,000.
Limerick is the hotbed of rugby in this country, though having said that if the game was a qualifier I reckon it would be a sell out.

MariborKev
08/09/2009, 11:58 AM
In reality soccer has become the 4th sport in this country after Football, Rugby and Hurling and even as a soccer fan I can't say the game isn't where it deserves to be in the pecking order.

Football is still the highest participation sport in the country. We are comparing an away qualifier against the pinnacle of one sport's season. Let's see where we are after the Italy game.

elroy
08/09/2009, 12:00 PM

True, hopefully with the change to an increased European Championships in a few years we will qualify for the summer tournaments with more regularlity in future years. Its that sort of exposure during the summer is what is needed for the Irish team. Nonetheless I still think the Irish team is followed on a large scale by the Irish public as evidenced by the viewing figures. What we really lack in Ireland is a strong domestic club league.

Murfinator
08/09/2009, 12:16 PM
To be fair soccer is the highest participation game in the states as well! :rolleyes:

I live in the mid west and I notice soccer is declining rapidly in recent years, as reflected by the ticket sales for tonights game. Maybe it's still strong in Dublin and/or Cork I don't know, I can only speak for my neck of the woods and I notice it's certainly a lot harder to strike up a conversation about soccer than it is with rugby or the all irelands in Football and Hurling.

EastTerracer
08/09/2009, 12:22 PM
Rugby conversely is not but the Irish teams and players are doing incredible in it at the moment and to be honest it's nice to support a worldwide sport where almost all of our players actually play in Ireland. Soccer lacks the characters that Rugby has in BOD and ROG who definitely are far more in touch with the average person than Robbie or the likes are.

It's a very personal thing to say you associate with or are "in touch with" a particular person so your opinion may well be valid. However, for my own part I know that I have much more in common with Damien Duff, Robbie Keane or Kevin Kilbane than I would with most of the Irish rugby team. That just comes down to personal observations and preferences though. I know I care a lot less about the rugby team than I do about the football team but that will vary from person to person.

In terms of a worldwide game though it has to be accepted that rugby is a major sport in less than 10 countries globally. Over 80% of the people playing rugby globally live in the 8 main playing countries. 97% of the viewers for the last Rugby World Cup were in the same eight countries. It is nice to do well in an international sport but football is still way ahead of rugby in terms of its global impact. While the sport is going through a period of popularity, long term I really don't think rugby will ever overtake football in terms of its popularity.

Schumi
08/09/2009, 12:23 PM
To be fair soccer is the highest participation game in the states as well! :rolleyes:

I live in the mid west and I notice soccer is declining rapidly in recent years, as reflected by the ticket sales for tonights game. Maybe it's still strong in Dublin and/or Cork I don't know, I can only speak for my neck of the woods and I notice it's certainly a lot harder to strike up a conversation about soccer than it is with rugby or the all irelands in Football and Hurling.

I have no interest in GAA so I can't speak for the general interest levels for those sports but in South Dublin, football is certainly more played and talked about (unfortunately, usually the TV version) than rugby. I can't imagine that would be reversed over the rest of the country.

Murfinator
08/09/2009, 12:24 PM
True, hopefully with the change to an increased European Championships in a few years we will qualify for the summer tournaments with more regularlity in future years. Its that sort of exposure during the summer is what is needed for the Irish team. Nonetheless I still think the Irish team is followed on a large scale by the Irish public as evidenced by the viewing figures. What we really lack in Ireland is a strong domestic club league.

Definitely, not just for improving our player pool but on a sentimental level. A major problem people have in general with the Irish national team is the entire squad is full of people who don't actually live in this country, so it's hard for Irish soccer supporters to have the same affiliation with Robbie Keane off in London as a Munster supporter might have with say Ronan O Gara since they have the pleasure of being able to watch him play every week through the good and bad times. It always saddens me after an away fixture going "home" for the team means arriving in an airport in London or Manchester.

geysir
08/09/2009, 12:27 PM
Hard core tv viewing figures for the Ireland games is around 550,000.
The longer we stay in contention the higher the figures will go up.
Ireland v Italy or the play off games, hopefully will topple that mini tournament rugby game.

Jicked
08/09/2009, 12:33 PM

My friends and I are all huge sports fans. I can have quite in-depth conversations with anyone about F1, football, rugby, golf, tennis, baseball, american football, boxing and numerous other sports.
I have no idea who is in the upcoming GAA football final, I could name one single GAA player (Colm Cooper off the hilarious lucozade ads). All my close friends are the same bar one who has family from Kerry and so keeps an eye out on GAA scores and knows a little bit about it, but nothing more.

Definitely, not just for improving our player pool but on a sentimental level. A major problem people have in general with the Irish national team is the entire squad is full of people who don't actually live in this country, so it's hard for Irish soccer supporters to have the same affiliation with Robbie Keane off in London as a Munster supporter might have with say Ronan O Gara since they have the pleasure of being able to watch him play every week through the good and bad times. It always saddens me after an away fixture going "home" for the team means arriving in an airport in London or Manchester.

That sort of thing doesn't bother me in the slightest and only seems to bother those of the GAA persuasion, who also seem to take it as a personal insult that a football player may dive, yet exult at some farmer from Mayo punching an overweight barman from Westmeath in the head as if it's some higher form of Irishness.

Give me Robbie Keane leading our national team across the world, carrying himself with great dignity and respect on and off the pitch, proving himself to be one of the best players in the biggest football league, and the craic of talking to locals in Sofia or Podgorica in pidgin English about Robbie Keane's goalscoring heroics over anything the GAA could offer.

It's the GAA that will be serious trouble in this country over the next 15/20 years, particularly their anachronistic position on so many issues, and their mind-numbingly boring football code (boring from the skill / tactical point of view, I'm aware it's reasonably exciting if you like to see amateurs punch each other and try to kick the ball as hard as they can, I just like a little something more from the top sportsmen in a particular field )

Murfinator
08/09/2009, 12:38 PM
That sort of thing doesn't bother me in the slightest and only seems to bother those of the GAA persuasion, who also seem to take it as a personal insult that a football player may dive, yet exult at some farmer from Mayo punching an overweight barman from Westmeath in the head as if it's some higher form of Irishness.

You're being pretty offensive with that to be honest.

Sheridan
08/09/2009, 12:40 PM
From RTE (http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2009/0907/audiences.html):

On RTÉ.ie, 11,081 live streams were served for the online coverage of Ireland v Cyprus while 28,076 were streams were recorded for the Sunday Game
Interestingly, Boo Boy's stream for the Salzburg-Bohemians game RTÉ refused to cover peaked at over 7,000 viewers, for a stream which was not publicly advertised and for which viewers had to actively search.

tetsujin1979
08/09/2009, 12:40 PM
were the viewing figures for the hurling semi finals released? Because Croke Park didn't sell out for them, or anything close to it.

Jicked
08/09/2009, 12:41 PM
You're being pretty offensive with that to be honest.

To whom?

Jicked
08/09/2009, 12:45 PM
were the viewing figures for the hurling semi finals released? Because Croke Park didn't sell out for them, or anything close to it.

Shhh, the GAA Minister of Public Enlightenment and Propoganda doesn't like to talk about such things, much better to brush that under the carpet and then talk to the press when their flagship event topples those big bad West-Brits viewing figures.

paul_oshea
08/09/2009, 12:46 PM
Lads as rugby grows, GAA will stay the same or grow with it as lads inter change between both sports. Those that play GAA and play Rugby have a mutual respect for each others code, yet have a slight disdain toward soccer. Even over here in England you get a lot of young lads who play rugby during the season take up gaelic during hte summer to stay fit and focus on upper body strength. However those that focus on one or the other of those codes dont play soccer, bar maybe your odd game here and there, a 5 aside mini tournament at xmas or whatever. Ive had this debate before, and the simple case is true, soccer is far easier organise than a gaelic match in terms of numbers, training etc. A load of lads can turn up sunday for a game and thats that. In gaelic you need to be training a couple of times a week with a lot more players etc. Its a simple argument, but a powerful one. Hence why soccer is the biggest participation sport in Ireland. It is waining though lads, and Murfinators argument is the same up and down the country. Living in England you meet lads from all over Ireland and you see the same reaction when rugby is mentioned, and when soccer is mentioned. We do really need to qualify for this world cup to stop the slide in popularity of soccer, if this was 6 or 7 years ago soccer would still be top, this hasn't been the case the last year or so as the figures have shown.

Murfinator
08/09/2009, 12:46 PM
To GAA fans and Irish people in general. I'd honestly only expect some comment like that from some english supremest who deludes themself that they have an in depth understanding of our country. Pretty sick to think there's people living in my country with that kind of caveman view on our national game and the people who support it. :(

paul_oshea
08/09/2009, 12:47 PM
Interestingly, Boo Boy's stream for the Salzburg-Bohemians game RTÉ refused to cover peaked at over 7,000 viewers, for a stream which was not publicly advertised and for which viewers had to actively search.

Yes but that was the only source to watch the game.

Murfinator
08/09/2009, 12:50 PM
Shhh, the GAA Minister of Public Enlightenment and Propoganda doesn't like to talk about such things, much better to brush that under the carpet and then talk to the press when their flagship event topples those big bad West-Brits viewing figures.

You sound like you really have a chip on your shoulder with the GAA. The GAA put on two excellent tournaments every year and stepped in to help both soccer and rugby when they needed a stadium for the past several years, so as a sports fan I'm certainly grateful to them.

Jicked
08/09/2009, 12:50 PM
To GAA fans and Irish people in general. I'd honestly only expect some comment like that from some english supremest who deludes themself that they have an in depth understanding of our country. Pretty sick to think there's people living in my country with that kind of caveman view on our national game and the people who support it. :(

Good grief, you think I'm "sick" because I've no time for a particular sport that's only played in a few areas of a tiny country?
And then to refer to me as possibly being "English" in a derogatory way?
If you think what I said is sick you'd be completely freaked out if I told you exactly what I, and a lot of other people, actually think about the sport.
Of course I look at it as just that, a sport, not a vital part of my Irishness or superior to some big bad foreign games.

The game is awful pal, and the quote you took such offence too, that it's played by amateurs who often don't look like top sportsmen, and who regularly engage in disgusting assaults on each other which is greeted with cheers and yahoos from the crowd is true I'm afraid.

pineapple stu
08/09/2009, 12:52 PM
Ah in fairness, take a look at what the GAA has done to football in the country (Rovers and kicking people out of school for a start), and you'll understand some people's attitudes towards the GAA.

CarrickFan
08/09/2009, 12:56 PM
My friends and I are all huge sports fans. I can have quite in-depth conversations with anyone about F1, football, rugby, golf, tennis, baseball, american football, boxing and numerous other sports.
I have no idea who is in the upcoming GAA football final, I could name one single GAA player (Colm Cooper off the hilarious lucozade ads). All my close friends are the same bar one who has family from Kerry and so keeps an eye out on GAA scores and knows a little bit about it, but nothing more.

Give me Robbie Keane leading our national team across the world, carrying himself with great dignity and respect on and off the pitch, proving himself to be one of the best players in the biggest football league, and the craic of talking to locals in Sofia or Podgorica in pidgin English about Robbie Keane's goalscoring heroics over anything the GAA could offer.

It's the GAA that will be serious trouble in this country over the next 15/20 years, particularly their anachronistic position on so many issues, and their mind-numbingly boring football code (boring from the skill / tactical point of view, I'm aware it's reasonably exciting if you like to see amateurs punch each other and try to kick the ball as hard as they can, I just like a little something more from the top sportsmen in a particular field )

It's not often i agree with a Shams fan!!!...but that was spot on..well said.

I have no interest in The GAA sports or the organistation...and i dont understand why GAA people always feel the need to compare thier sports to soccer and claim they are better..insecurity perhaps??..i heard some Hurling pundit on Newstalk say how great the All Ireland final was especially in comparison to the Cyprus match..What does one have to with the other??...i thoroughly enjoyed Argentina v Brazil on Sat nite after our own win in Cyprus but did'nt feel the need to tell my GAA friends how great a game it was and how my personal sport is better compared to theirs...it's pointless...each to their owm....if they didnt feel threatened by soccer it wouldnt be an issue...

Anyway the GAA should be thanking us because apart from the 2 finals and the Dublin games...October 10th and possibly 14th will be the only time Croke Park will be FULL since the RUGBY despite the MANY MANY "National games " that have been played there all summer.

Murfinator
You're entitled to your opinion but I'd always rather actual Irish people who live in the community and are part of the culture representing our country. Seeing cases like Stephen Ireland who'd rather play for Manchester than his country or English born "Irish" like Andy O Brien or Dean Kiely who realistically were only ever playing for us because they weren't good enough for England. Those guys aren't players I want to support or would in any way make me proud in the team.

That kind of thing would never happen in rugby because everyone loves playing for their country and appreciates the honour in the regard that it should be held in. The very notion of a player retiring from the international side to "concentrate on their club career" would be unheard of in rugby.

And your assault accusations are bizarre. I'd certainly say Henry Shefflin and Colm Cooper are far less violent than someone like Roy Keane or Stephen Hunt. ;)
In fact if we were as physical and filthy as you're describing we wouldn't be getting bashed physically every time we faced the Australians in Aussie Rules!

Jicked
You sound like you really have a chip on your shoulder with the GAA. The GAA put on two excellent tournaments every year and stepped in to help both soccer and rugby when they needed a stadium for the past several years, so as a sports fan I'm certainly grateful to them.

As stu has pointed out, the GAA have a very antagonistic approach towards football in this country, look at Shamrock Rovers, the club down in Kerry, those stories of glass being put on pitches, the fact they constantly try to put themselves in competition with another sport when most sports are happy to co-exist and help each other out.

And what is it the GAA are making from each game in Croker, €6mill? Also, it's only a temporary opening, and if we ever need to use any other GAA sports pitch in the country we can't because football was founded in the UK, a country we were at war with 80 years ago. Like I said, anachronistic.

Jicked
08/09/2009, 12:59 PM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'd always rather actual Irish people who live in the community and are part of the culture representing our country. Seeing cases like Stephen Ireland who'd rather play for Manchester than his country or English born "Irish" like Andy O Brien or Dean Kiely who realistically were only ever playing for us because they weren't good enough for England. Those guys aren't players I want to support or would in any way make me proud in the team.

I haven't always lived in Ireland, and I wasn't born on the island.
Are you telling me I'm less Irish than you?

Murfinator
08/09/2009, 1:03 PM
Ah in fairness, take a look at what the GAA has done to football in the country (Rovers and kicking people out of school for a start), and you'll understand some people's attitudes towards the GAA.

Maybe in the past but that seems like an old fashioned outlook nowadays that doesn't have any bearing on the modern organisation. Personally I love all 4 of the big sports and don't like anybody trashing any of them for not being as good as the other. I think they're all better in their own way.

Hurling at Rugby at the high end are far and away the most entertaining to watch since they're so technically difficult to play.
Football is the best local game to follow since it's the only game really played competitively throughout most of the country.
Soccer is the most fun to play because of its simplicity and follow and discuss since it's a global game and there's a lot more happening all the time.

It's actually always confused me how you could be a die hard fan of one and not enjoy a high quality match in the other whatsoever.

elroy
08/09/2009, 1:07 PM
...and i dont understand why GAA people always feel the need to compare thier sports to soccer and claim they are better..insecurity perhaps??..i heard some Hurling pundit on Newstalk say how great the All Ireland final was especially in comparison to the Cyprus match..What does one have to with the other??...i thoroughly enjoyed Argentina v Brazil on Sat nite after our own win in Cyprus but did'nt feel the need to tell my GAA friends how great a game it was and how my personal sport is better compared to theirs...it's pointless...each to their owm....if they didnt feel threatened by soccer it wouldnt be an issue...

This is so true and wrecks my head. It happens so often on gaa programmes. Text in newstalk about this last night after the comments were made and in fairness to owen whatever his name is, he read out my text and agreed with what I said.

NEVER NEVER will you hear any soccer pundit going on about how great a game of soccer was in comparison to a rugby or gaa or any other game for that matter. Is their an inferiority complex in the gaa???
I think soccer is a great game and my first love in sport terms, i also follow gaa, rugby, f1 amongst other sports and can appreciate a good game in any code without the need to compare it or promote it over another.

Murfinator
08/09/2009, 1:08 PM
I haven't always lived in Ireland, and I wasn't born on the island.
Are you telling me I'm less Irish than you?

I wouldn't say where you're born has any bearing on your "Irishness" since it's something you can't control. On the contrary somebody who chooses another country over Ireland to live and work in my opinion wouldn't be, assuming they actually had a choice in the matter.

Your Irishness is how integrated you are in the culture and how passionate you are about the land and the people in it.