PDA

View Full Version : Unionist Terrorists Not Allowed at Polish Game!

Scram
07/09/2009, 4:37 PM
Did anyone see the reports from Poland before the game with The Wee Counties?

There were signs shownig knives and guns not allowed:

http://tv.ku.edu/media/news/images/2006/11/gun-tease-image.png

Then another one with a balaclava with the Not Allowed sign i.e No Balaclavas! I can just see some dumb Unionist like Johhny Adair approaching the turnstiles to argue his case! :D

Bluebeard
07/09/2009, 5:20 PM
I haven't seen the reports (link please:)), but is it not the case that the guns and knives posters may already be in action for Polish league games anyway, as I hear there are a couple of rather hot rivalries.

As for the balaclava, that sounds like someone taking the mickey. I'd love to see the pic, especially if it is the real deal.

MariborKev
07/09/2009, 7:43 PM
What, similiar signage in many grounds, hardly newsworthy?

Scram
09/09/2009, 12:33 PM
I haven't seen the reports (link please:)), but is it not the case that the guns and knives posters may already be in action for Polish league games anyway, as I hear there are a couple of rather hot rivalries.

As for the balaclava, that sounds like someone taking the mickey. I'd love to see the pic, especially if it is the real deal.

It was on Sky Sports news so I don't have any links but thought the balaclava with the red line through it very amusing (it wasn't supposed to be funny I'm sure! and they weren't taking the mick, it was an official sign with securoty guards around etc.)

Gather round
09/09/2009, 2:12 PM
It was on Sky Sports news so I don't have any links but thought the balaclava with the red line through it very amusing (it wasn't supposed to be funny I'm sure! and they weren't taking the mick, it was an official sign with securoty guards around etc.)

I was at the game. The security seemed pretty slick, didn't see any balaclava signage.

We were behind the goal with an empty area either side. Main crowd-generated excitement in the first half was two guys in Celtic shirts waving a tricolor. Then at half time, the (local) Ruch Chorzow psycho boys (recognisable by their blue club shirts) got bored and threw a few bricks and bottles. The robocops waded in and smacked them before throwing a large group out. No information on whether the two mentioned above were involved. One of the Polish stewards was wearing a Rangers shirt with the lyrics to Follow follow written on it.

Belfast Telegraph hack Ciaran 'brought my machete to the lap dance' Barnes came out to interview the players and got a welcome and sustained round of barracking. Although fair play to him for turning up...

PS we were directed/ bussed int othe ground at 1830 and kept there until 2330. This was OK as kielbasa (sausage) was available. Only cokes, no beer.

Some Polish chums were complaining that they had to queue for ages while everyone was frisked. Bear this in mind for Euro 2012.

EalingGreen
09/09/2009, 4:26 PM
Further to GR's account, all I would add was that elements of the gutter press (especially Sunday Life) attempted to make pretty much something out of nothing re the "dangers" posed by this game.

As I saw it, none of the 800 NI fans misbehaved; 95%+ of the Polish fans were equally well-behaved and welcoming etc; a tiny %age of Polish fans made a half-hearted effort to get at the NI fans, but they looked to me to be distinctly "schooligans" and "wanabees" (the Stewards dealt fairly easily with them until the Riot Police put a swift end to their antics); the Security precautions were well-thought out and operated, thereby maintaining safety and security for all; the whole thing was treated by the Polish Authorities as a dress rehearsal for Euro 2012.

Therefore, whilst I don't know what Agenda (if any) "Scram" might have with his references to "Unionist Terrorists", Johnny Adair and Balaclavas etc, but unless I am missing a big joke somewhere, imo this thread should really be binned, since it adds precisely nothing to any sensible debate about anything to do with football. :rolleyes:

Scram
09/09/2009, 4:48 PM
Further to GR's account, all I would add was that elements of the gutter press (especially Sunday Life) attempted to make pretty much something out of nothing re the "dangers" posed by this game.

As I saw it, none of the 800 NI fans misbehaved; 95%+ of the Polish fans were equally well-behaved and welcoming etc; a tiny %age of Polish fans made a half-hearted effort to get at the NI fans, but they looked to me to be distinctly "schooligans" and "wanabees" (the Stewards dealt fairly easily with them until the Riot Police put a swift end to their antics); the Security precautions were well-thought out and operated, thereby maintaining safety and security for all; the whole thing was treated by the Polish Authorities as a dress rehearsal for Euro 2012.

Therefore, whilst I don't know what Agenda (if any) "Scram" might have with his references to "Unionist Terrorists", Johnny Adair and Balaclavas etc, but unless I am missing a big joke somewhere, imo this thread should really be binned, since it adds precisely nothing to any sensible debate about anything to do with football. :rolleyes:

Apologies for insulting any Unionist Terrorists who might be tuning in!! but, as I said I thought a sign showing a balaclava with a red line through it given recent history was quite amusing.

If anyone is so ridiculous as to see a hidden agenda and asking for a thread to be binned, then perhaps it is them that is hiding something.

The thread OBVIOUSLY was not to provoke serious discussion on football! but was about the irony of a sign showing No Balaclavas and, as pointed out to many on here asking that the Stephen Ireland thread be binned: IF YOU OBJECT A THREAD THEN IGNORE IT! (for whatever hidden grounds your objection may be).

Interestingly, your last objection was to the use of IRELAND in an Ireland 11 v England 11 FOOTBALL game…some major growing up to be done by somebody.

Scram
10/09/2009, 12:47 PM
Looks like Nor'n Irealnd will NOT qualify, would have been a travesty anyway.

I'm disgusted that Scotland and possibly Argentina may not be there because of the good football from Argentina and good fans from Scotland.

Gather round
10/09/2009, 3:49 PM
Looks like Nor'n Irealnd will NOT qualify, would have been a travesty anyway

If we still had a realistic chance of qualifying it would be because we had, er, more points than the other challenging teams. How would that be a travesty?

I'm disgusted that Scotland and possibly Argentina may not be there because of the good football from Argentina and good fans from Scotland

Argentina keep failing to win (although I think they'll probably make it, maybe through the play off with a North American team. Scotland- however much you like their fans, not that they're so different from anyone else's- have lost half their games and scored only six goals in the tournament. They're a very mediocre team, how would their absence be disgusting?

Scram
10/09/2009, 5:23 PM
If we still had a realistic chance of qualifying it would be because we had, er, more points than the other challenging teams. How would that be a travesty?

Argentina keep failing to win (although I think they'll probably make it, maybe through the play off with a North American team. Scotland- however much you like their fans, not that they're so different from anyone else's- have lost half their games and scored only six goals in the tournament. They're a very mediocre team, how would their absence be disgusting?

I just think that NI would not bring much to the tournament and would be there on a few lucky wins that could have gone either way. Having said that, Ireland have done little to merit going to SA but as an Ireland fan I wouldl obviously want us to qualify, as woudl a lot of other countries (not a their expense!)

I love to watch Argentiana and the Scots bring a great atmosphere, simple as that.

old git
10/09/2009, 9:13 PM
I just think that NI would not bring much to the tournament and would be there on a few lucky wins that could have gone either way. Having said that, Ireland have done little to merit going to SA but as an Ireland fan I wouldl obviously want us to qualify, as woudl a lot of other countries (not a their expense!)

I love to watch Argentiana and the Scots bring a great atmosphere, simple as that.

at the moment ye might not be watching argentina and definatly no atsmosphere from thee scots... bit of cheek saying n ireland would not bring much to tournament.. we the republic will hardly light up the tournament either if we qualify :(

cheifo
10/09/2009, 9:40 PM
at the moment ye might not be watching argentina and definatly no atsmosphere from thee scots... bit of cheek saying n ireland would not bring much to tournament.. we the republic will hardly light up the tournament either if we qualify :(

Agreed.
Hate to be cynical and hope we get there but can't see the neutral rushing home to watch us. And if the neutral is already at home he might not bother either.

We are very very dull. Oh for a midfield with the two Reids and yer man from Citeh who should think long and hard about his surname.

Certainly not in a position to be casting stones.

Gather round
10/09/2009, 10:23 PM
I just think that NI would not bring much to the tournament

OK, we aren't going to make the play-offs bar some freak combination of results. But, just supposing it happened, what less would we be bringing than Slovenia/ Czechia/ Poland/ the Republic of Ireland/ whoever?

and would be there on a few lucky wins that could have gone either way

Hmm. Four wins so far, only two by a single goal- and in one of them we conceded in injury time. Compare your own record- it's good, and well done, but you've hardly thrashed anyone.

as an Ireland fan I wouldl obviously want us to qualify, as woudl a lot of other countries (not a their expense!)

I doubt they do, actually. Most countries (and their fans) concentrate on their own teams. Where they take a special interest in others, it's only likely to be in rivals to actually win the tournament.

I love to watch Argentiana

I'll defer if you've seen something I haven't, but in the highlights I've seen of their qualifiers so far, their team has stunk the place out.

and the Scots bring a great atmosphere, simple as that

But how would you know? They haven't qualified for a tournament since 1998 (or played RoI in a qualifier since 1986)?

DaveyCakes
11/09/2009, 10:35 AM

I was in Minsk over the summer and 2 tour guides told me that the poeple in Minsk liked the English crowd who'd recently been over for a match, they didn't like the Scots who been there a few years earlier...Ignorant drunkards was the general impression..

I was surprised, but there you go.

Scram
11/09/2009, 1:43 PM
I was in Minsk over the summer and 2 tour guides told me that the poeple in Minsk liked the English crowd who'd recently been over for a match, they didn't like the Scots who been there a few years earlier...Ignorant drunkards was the general impression..

Yes, I guess I'm basing my opinion on what I have seen from Scotland fans in European and World Cup tournament previously and on what I have seen from English “fans” in most if not ALL tournaments. They certainly were not missed from Euro 2006

reder
15/09/2009, 7:59 AM

The same old stereotypes come up when you talk about England fans but that image is changing on the continent, slowly but surely. Most reasonable people now realise that the vast majority are decent football fans who are well behaved.