07/09/2009, 10:37 AM
was going to go with Best but then he is British after all:p
:rolleyes:

Where's Pat O'Callaghan on the list?

Michelle Smith's an interesting one...

tiktok
07/09/2009, 10:44 AM
I love the Gaelic Football options.

Get all the dubs to vote for Heffo and then split the rest of the country across three Kerrymen [we're claiming Jacko] far more deserving to dilute their vote. What an obvious way to try and rig the vote.

Duxie Walsh must be rueing the day he started playing handball instead of a sport people gave a toss about. 13 titles in a row. Angela Downey the same, 12 All-Irelands.

Fair play to Michelle DeBruin for getting on the list though, she must have some contacts in the media or something.

bennocelt
07/09/2009, 11:01 AM
:rolleyes:

Where's Pat O'Callaghan on the list?

Michelle Smith's an interesting one...

Im nearly sure he had a British passport, please correct me if Im wrong!;)

yeah but then what about Kelly and Roche:p

centre mid
07/09/2009, 11:50 AM
I'd probably go with AP McCoy, how is Michelle Smith on that list?

superfrank
07/09/2009, 11:57 AM
No Liam Brady? Shocking.

Went for DJ Carey in the end.

Aberdonian Stu
07/09/2009, 12:54 PM
I'd have it down to Delaney, McGuigan and Keane. The different ways in which the three succeeded is what makes it hard to decide. Delaney beat probably the toughest field, certainly the deepest in terms of talent level, ever assembled in an Olympic final but there is the one-off factor of that which raises a question. McGuigan wasn't a champion for very long but the calibre of opponents he beat on the road to the title and indeed in winning it is what puts him up there. Keane on the other hand was consistent for longer but to my mind didn't have the signature moment of total domination (I'm sure others would disagree) on the same level as Delaney and McGuigan.

Like pineapple I find it shocking that Pat O'Callaghan isn't in there. Only Irish person to win golds at two separate Olympics should have made that list.

pineapple stu
07/09/2009, 12:58 PM
Delaney's career involved more than winning Olympic gold. He was unbeaten in US races for years.

Aberdonian Stu
07/09/2009, 1:29 PM
The problem is in the location. He mostly ran in the US but the real challengers were always based in Europe (it was where most of the Antipodean runners also ran). He's still probably going to get my vote but it's really a tough call.

Stuttgart88
07/09/2009, 5:21 PM
Harrington's 3 majors gets it for me.

centre mid
07/09/2009, 5:25 PM
While 3 majors is an amazing feat, I think there are better figures in the golfing world that I'd put before PH, Christy O Connor Snr has done far more for the game in Ireland and is counted among the greatest to have played the game.

MeathDrog
07/09/2009, 5:43 PM
Why the hell is Mick O Dwyer there?

Great footballer, but a nominee for sportsman of all time? Come off it.

Michelle Smith too. :)

Went for McGrath in the end, was torn between him, Giles and Harrington.

elroy
08/09/2009, 8:49 PM
McGrath for me, slightly ahead of Keane.

Bluebeard
08/09/2009, 10:49 PM
Off the list, it should be Kelly - most dominant cyclist in the world in his prime, and pro cycling is possibly the toughest endurance sport.

Surprised no Pat O'Callaghan, and tiktok was bang on the mark with Duxie Walsh and Angela Downey. I am sure that there are many others like them overlooked. It is essentially a list of post WWII mainstream male sports, with a few token choices to suggest it is an All-Ireland thing.

And when did training horses make you a sports star? If that is allowed, then Master McGrath should be in there too!

endabob1
09/09/2009, 6:57 AM
Has to be Stephen Roche, Tour, Giro & World Champion in one year, only matched by Eddy Merckx arguably the greatest ever cyclist.
Honourable mentions for Harrington’s 3 majors (hopefully with more to come) despite C.O'C Snr’s achievements Harry is the top of the tree for Irish Golfers.
Michelle Smith's inclusion is obviously controversial but she has never had to hand her medals back so the 3 gold’s & a bronze still technically make her Irelands most successful Olympian ever.

drummerboy
09/09/2009, 8:25 AM
I can't believe Kevin Moran isn't even on that list. Won All-Ireland medal for Dublin, then many years playing at top level football before going on to play in Euro 88 and Italia 90 for Ireland. Top class.

cavan_fan
09/09/2009, 8:52 AM
Voted for Keane, but its an impossible thing to measure. Youve got different eras, team vs individual sports and the GAA pplayers can be judged on a world stage.

On Michelle Smith, I absolutely agree with her being there. 3 gold medals is a stunning achievement. She was probably on drugs at the time but then I suspect others were too. Also if we start retrospectively erasing peope who took drugs we are going to have questions about some major sport stars including most sprinters from the last 40 years.

Bluebeard
09/09/2009, 9:05 AM
...its an impossible thing to measure. Youve got different eras, team vs individual sports and the GAA pplayers can be judged on a world stage...

By this thinking, is it too late to petition for Pat Spillane? The man who melted in the heat of Superstars! I cannot recall, but for some reason I think he won it - did he?

pineapple stu
09/09/2009, 9:07 AM
He won Irish Superstars, but then took all four events on the same day in Barbados or something, and didn't win the international version.

A quote from the Gospel according to Reeling in the Years.

Edit - World Superstars winners on wiki. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superstars#World)

The Fly
14/09/2009, 10:40 PM
The only real contenders for this title are;

George Best,
Roy Keane,
Joey Dunlop,
Brian O'Driscoll,
Padraig Harrington,
Tony McCoy,
Sean Kelly,
and Stephen Roche.

I don't believe that any GAA figure should be in any real contention for this, the sport is amateur and has no presence outside of Ireland. If one did indeed win it, I would find it very embarrassing.

* Vincent O'Brien and Aidan O'Brien, whilst towering figures in their sport,(the former in particular), are not 'sportsmen', in the proper sense.

For me, whilst I took immense pleasure and pride in Kelly's and Roche's achievements back in their heyday, cycling is now a tainted sport. This would rule them out - sorry lads!

Padraig Harrington's achievements in recent years have been great - a real credit to him. However, and I hate to qualify his successes somewhat, he is not the best at what he does and golf does lack the physical dimension. Sorry Padraig!

I think Joey Dunlop and Tony McCoy can be treated somewhat similiarly here. Both compete in dangerous sports, Dunlop more so and fatally so.
Both their successes in their respective sports are simply immense. If I had to choose one I would go for Dunlop. His career, and it's longevity,
was staggering in a sport where death is a constant threat. Sadly Dunlop died racing as did his younger brother in the last year. RIP.
The fact that motorcycle TT racing is somewhat of a niche sport would rule him out - Sorry Joey! (I feel guilty)
In McCoy's case, despite his success, I just feel that a jockey shouldn't be in contention for this. Sorry Tony!
Crucially, in each case, both men represent the pinnacle of their chosen sport - this is a very important factor.

Brian O'Driscoll - I would have to say that BOD is the best Irish sportsperson I have seen in my lifetime (born. 1980). At his peak, he was the best rugby player in the world. He would have walked on to any side (still could) and I believe that he will be regarded as one of the greatest rugby players of all time. A genius. A warrior. A legend.
The only thing that goes against him is that Rugby, whilst continually growing as sport, does not really have a global reach/aspect. Although for me, in this instance, given the exceptional nature of the player, this is a minor quibble.

Roy Keane, where do I start - the greatest and most succesful captain in Manchester United's history and in the history of the Premier league. A fearsome competitor and leader of men. He is certainly the most controversial Irish sportsman of all time, a man who did 'divide the nation' for a time. The Saipan issue would not be any kind of bar for me. I believe that it was ultimately the best thing to have happened to Irish sport in general. It was the moment when the Irish 'give it a lash' mentality began to die. Despite all his success and all his achievements, the only thing that goes against him is that he was not technically the best footballer of his time. If achievement is the number one criteria for this award then he would probably deserve to win, if not.....
A hard one to call, but what we can say is that he rose to the pinnacle of what is the one, true WORLD sport.

George Best. If I was forced to choose, I would probably go for George. Why? - simply because he was the BEST. He brought a level of grace, skill and beauty to football that has scarcely been equalled. He entertained and marvelled in equal measure. He made the beautiful game, beautiful. It is because of people like George that I love the sport. To be regarded as one the greatest practitioners of the one, truly global sport is simply a phenomenal achievement. His only fault as a player was that he didn't have the ability, unlike Maradona or Pele, to make the rest of the team an 'extension of his will.' He didn't orchestrate the team in other words, but has any other player brought as much singular joy to the game and it's followers........probably not! As they say 'up North' - Maradona good, Pele better, George BEST!
(Oh and he's Irish, not British) :mad:

strangeirish
14/09/2009, 10:55 PM
Muhammad Ali...FACT!
:D

Sheridan
14/09/2009, 11:13 PM
If it were a serious list (and the fact that it was promulgated by RTÉ and features gaelic players and horse trainers means it isn't), Kevin O'Flanagan, Bob Lambert and Lucius Gwynn would be there.

George Best shouldn't be on the list at all, of course, but he must have done some pretty extraordinary things when the cameras were absent, because none of the very extensive footage I've seen of him would place him in the top 50% of players today, unlike Liam Brady or Paul McGrath.

Dodge
14/09/2009, 11:18 PM
Eddie Macken being there is a joke too. Won nothing at world level (unlike other Irish showjumpers). Ken Doherty?? LOL

My vote goes to Kelly. Only one on there who was considered the best in the world over a sustained period

Sheridan
14/09/2009, 11:25 PM
In fairness Doherty was a world champion, unlike most of those featured. Comparing across disciplines is a pointless exercise, but that seems like as strong a commendation as any. Could probably make a case for Steve Collins on the same basis.

Patrick Dunne
14/09/2009, 11:36 PM
Voted for McGrath.

In my opinion, the most outstanding individual to represent this country at the worlds most popular sport.

Honourable mentions to Ronnie Delaney, Joey Dunlop, John Treacy, Sonia O'Sullivan.

Alex Higgins, anyone ?

The Fly
15/09/2009, 12:09 AM
George Best shouldn't be on the list at all, of course, but he must have done some pretty extraordinary things when the cameras were absent, because none of the very extensive footage I've seen of him would place him in the top 50% of players today, unlike Liam Brady or Paul McGrath.

Are you taking the ****? :eek:

bennocelt
15/09/2009, 7:54 AM
The only real contenders for this title are;

As they say 'up North' - Maradona good, Pele better, George BEST!
(Oh and he's Irish, not British) :mad:

ha ha but he was from Northern Ireland?:rolleyes:

anyway Im still in the horseracing camp - im sorry but these guys give me as much pleasure as any of the rest

Mick the Miller? Best greyhound bar none:)

And I do think Kelly was awesome when he was around, he could have won the Tour de France but for that "bug" that wiped out the KLM team

and Higgins revoultionised snooker

alltogethernow
15/09/2009, 11:51 AM
Padraig Harrington's achievements in recent years have been great - a real credit to him. However, and I hate to qualify his successes somewhat, he is not the best at what he does and golf does lack the physical dimension. Sorry Padraig!

What?
He is by far the best Irish golfer,if your comparing him to other people in the world game its pointless because it is greatest IRISH sportsperson.

Harrington gets it for me, 3 majors, world cup, Ryder Cups, Walker Cups countless european and PGA tour wins.

IMO no one else comes close at the minute.

The Fly
15/09/2009, 4:07 PM
ha ha but he was from Northern Ireland?:rolleyes:

and Higgins revoultionised snooker

err..........Higgins is from Northern Ireland as well, as is Mike Gibson, Jack Kyle, Joey Dunlop, Willie John MacBride and Pat Jennings etc...

Gibson, Kyle and Dunlop are all on the list and deservedly so, though how Jennings and W.J. MacBride are not escapes me.

People from Northern Ireland are Irish as well, unless stated otherwise!

The Fly
15/09/2009, 4:25 PM
What?
He is by far the best Irish golfer,if your comparing him to other people in the world game its pointless because it is greatest IRISH sportsperson.

Harrington gets it for me, 3 majors, world cup, Ryder Cups, Walker Cups countless european and PGA tour wins.

IMO no one else comes close at the minute.

I know what you mean................I did include him in my shortened list of people who would be serious contenders for the accolade, however, in my view golf is simply too deficient as a sport for it's participants to be considered amongst other great sportsmen. I enjoy the game and play off a handicap of 18 but, despite having enjoyed playing it for the past couple of years, I do consider it more a game than a sport.

Despite it being a sport which is highly skilled, it does lack any kind of athletic, physical dimension. I mean......is Angel Cabrera, the US Masters champion and proud paunch owner, a great sportsman. One only has to look at the previous British Open - the 59 year old Tom Watson almost won the tournament! While many Golf commentators were describing it as one of the greatest achievements in sport, wiser heads were saying that it simply showed Golf up as a sport.
I agree with the latter...........who couldn't when looking at it seriously.

bennocelt
15/09/2009, 5:16 PM
err..........Higgins is from Northern Ireland as well, as is Mike Gibson, Jack Kyle, Joey Dunlop, Willie John MacBride and Pat Jennings etc...

Gibson, Kyle and Dunlop are all on the list and deservedly so, though how Jennings and W.J. MacBride are not escapes me.

People from Northern Ireland are Irish as well, unless stated otherwise!

true but they are also British, just stating the facts

centre mid
15/09/2009, 5:31 PM
http://www.monkeyboobies.com/gallery/d/36-2/pedantic.png

MeathDrog
15/09/2009, 5:53 PM
Just out of interest, why would someone pick Roy Keane as a genuine contender? (And I don't need to hear the history of Man United since 1997 etc.)

The Fly
15/09/2009, 9:46 PM
Just out of interest, why would someone pick Roy Keane as a genuine contender? (And I don't need to hear the history of Man United since 1997 etc.)

Why would they not pick him as a genuine contender?

The Fly
15/09/2009, 9:49 PM
true but they are also British, just stating the facts

Explain to me how Pat Jennings, for example, is British?
Is Mike Gibson not Irish? Is Jack Kyle not Irish? etc.....

Each one is as worthy of a place on this list as any of the other nominess.

MeathDrog
15/09/2009, 11:21 PM
Why would they not pick him as a genuine contender?
I just feel that he has not done a lot for his country compared to others on that list.

Norm
16/09/2009, 8:49 AM
I just feel that he has not done a lot for his country compared to others on that list.

But he was still a fantastic sportsperson who was Irish.

bennocelt
16/09/2009, 11:28 AM
Explain to me how Pat Jennings, for example, is British?
Is Mike Gibson not Irish? Is Jack Kyle not Irish? etc.....

Each one is as worthy of a place on this list as any of the other nominess.

Well he was born in britain?

pineapple stu
16/09/2009, 12:36 PM
bennocelt, give it a rest already.

Wolfie
16/09/2009, 12:57 PM
Not sure if there is anything to surpass Roche's achivement on the International Stage in 1987. A genuinely remarkable achievement.

That said, I'd vote for Sean Kelly as he was at the very top of his profession for a considerable period of time.

Memory is hazy on this but I think bad luck conspired to rob Kelly of the Tour of Spain one year? I think he had a cyst and had to drop out of the tour. I remember seeing footage of Kelly finally having to give up the ghost on that tour, in absolute agony and in tears as he had to drop out.

bennocelt
16/09/2009, 1:15 PM
bennocelt, give it a rest already.

Ok, fair enuff:)

Bluebeard
16/09/2009, 1:47 PM
Memory is hazy on this but I think bad luck conspired to rob Kelly of the Tour of Spain one year? I think he had a cyst and had to drop out of the tour. I remember seeing footage of Kelly finally having to give up the ghost on that tour, in absolute agony and in tears as he had to drop out.
Your memory is on the mark. He was leading and looked comfortable there in 1987, something like 3 or 4 days before the finish. This was a little more than a week before Roche started the Giro he went on to win. Kelly won it the next year though, had been fouth and fifth before that. He still has won the points jersey in Spain more times than anyone else (just like the TDF, if Zabel hadn't been on incredibly powerful drugs).

The Fly
16/09/2009, 3:08 PM
Well he was born in britain?

Who was born in Britain?
(unless it has escaped your attention - Northern Ireland is not in Britain)

pineapple stu
16/09/2009, 3:14 PM
As mentioned before, can we leave the petty British/Irish stuff aside please?

bennocelt
16/09/2009, 6:07 PM
Who was born in Britain?
(unless it has escaped your attention - Northern Ireland is not in Britain)

Sorry you are right, silly me...........I mean the United Kingdom:p

Are cycling, snooker, motor biking and horse racing the only sports Ireland have had serious world beaters?
Its a little pathetic really.........considering we have been playing a lot of sports for 100 years or more and we are always told we are a "sports mad nation". But then the government never put much effort into it all really.

Billsthoughts
22/09/2009, 10:23 PM

I think the footage you are thinking of is actually Kelly pulling out of tour de france in 87.kas jersey and broken collar bone.

Cant beleive Sonia O Sullivan didnt get a mention so far...to me she is deffo up there with the top Irish sports people of all time.

Closed Account 2
23/09/2009, 1:44 AM
Here are some people who have probably slipped under the radar so far:

Neil O'Donoghue, played NFL and football for Drumcondra, Shamrock Rovers and Shelbourne.

Jack "Nonpareil" Dempsey superb boxer in the late 1800s never really reached his peak as he died of TB aged 33.

Marty Conlon, great Basketball player with the LA clippers or Pat Burke, only Irish born player to have played in the NBA for the Magic 6 or so years ago.

Ger McDonnell, first Irishman to climb to the top of K2 (commonly acknowledged as the hardest mountain in the world to climb) tragically he died on the descent when a shaft of ice fell in an avalaunche cutting the ropes.

Barry McGuigan, Brendan Ingle, or Katie Taylor - she represented Ireland at football and boxing (was world champion last year).

But for me, the answer is Steve Collins:

Total fights 39
Wins 36
Wins by KO 21
Losses 3
Draws 0
No contests 0

A superb fighter.

DeLorean
23/09/2009, 11:00 AM
Here are some people who have probably slipped under the radar so far

There's only one worthy man that's slipped under the radar. An achievement that will never be equalled;)

http://www.hoganstand.com/Common/ImageGallery/teddymccarthy22.jpg

old git
24/09/2009, 10:50 PM
Sorry you are right, silly me...........I mean the United Kingdom:p

Are cycling, snooker, motor biking and horse racing the only sports Ireland have had serious world beaters?
Its a little pathetic really.........considering we have been playing a lot of sports for 100 years or more and we are always told we are a "sports mad nation". But then the government never put much effort into it all really.

what about boxing we had a few world beaters , athletics / swiming

don't care what sport you win still a great achievement due to serious lack of funding by our wonderfull goverments

old git
24/09/2009, 10:51 PM
There's only one worthy man that's slipped under the radar. An achievement that will never be equalled;)

http://www.hoganstand.com/Common/ImageGallery/teddymccarthy22.jpg

who is he :confused: