PDA

View Full Version : Ireland VS South Africa Pre Match Thread

Pages : [1] 2

tetsujin1979
06/09/2009, 6:12 PM
Trapattoni has allowed Robbie Keane, Kevin Kilbane, Shay Given and Stephen Hunt to return to their clubs, and called up Darren O'Dea: http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/0906/ireland.html

I'll be there on tuesday night anyway.

Lionel Ritchie
06/09/2009, 6:41 PM
Trapattoni has allowed Robbie Keane, Kevin Kilbane, Shay Given and Stephen Hunt to return to their clubs, and called up Darren O'Dea: http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/0906/ireland.html

I'll be there on tuesday night anyway.

Sensible enough. We'd be complaining he'd no plan B if any of them got injured before Italy. Good to give some others a bit of game time.

I'll be there as well

eirebhoy
06/09/2009, 6:44 PM
So the squad is

Keiren Westwood
Joe Murphy

John O'Shea
Stephen Kelly
Eddie Nolan
Sean St. Ledger
Paul McShane
Darren O'Dea

Aiden McGeady
Damien Duff
Darron Gibson
Glenn Whelan
Keith Andrews
Liam Miller
Andy Keogh
Liam Lawrence

Caleb Folan
Kevin Doyle
Shane Long
Leon Best

Not much to get excited about.

kingdom hoop
06/09/2009, 6:51 PM
Not much to get excited about.

It'll be exciting to see us try string 4 or more passes together!

Eirambler
06/09/2009, 7:09 PM
Its actually scary how crap our squad is when you take even a few lads out like that.

shakermaker1982
06/09/2009, 7:53 PM
I'm happy some of the other lads will be getting a run out.

Diffcult to predict his starting 11 but I'd go for:

Westwood

O'Shea-St Ledger-McShane-Nolan

McGeady-Lawrence-Gibson-Duff

Doyle-Best

and then hope for the best.....

Lionel Ritchie
06/09/2009, 8:08 PM
Not sure he'll make that many changes of personnel. Have a notion he might try Josh at center half with Sledge just to see how they get on in case we were without Dunne for whatever reason.

I think he might start Andrews and Whelan again too and give them a half.

I think he'll give Doyle a half but might try starting Folan with him -again just in case of injury to Robbie.

Razors left peg
06/09/2009, 8:09 PM
I'm happy some of the other lads will be getting a run out.

Diffcult to predict his starting 11 but I'd go for:

Westwood

O'Shea-St Ledger-McShane-Nolan

McGeady-Lawrence-Gibson-Duff

Doyle-Best

and then hope for the best.....

Lawrence wont start in center midfield

shakermaker1982
06/09/2009, 8:17 PM
I know he won't! He'll stick with Andrews and Whelan but we know what they can do. I think he needs to try out other options in the centre of midfield.

The Trap will have something like this:

Westwood

McShane-St Ledger-O'Shea-Nolan

McGeady-Andrews-Whelan-Duff

Doyle-Folan

What do we learn though with that team?

Lawrence got a run out against Nigeria but deserves another chance and I think Best could do with another run out after impressing against the Nigerians.

Razors left peg
06/09/2009, 8:45 PM
the reason I meant that he wouldnt play center midfield is because hes a winger

Stuttgart88
06/09/2009, 9:00 PM
Lawrence wont start in center midfieldYou're right but I've long felt he could actually do well there for us.

Stuttgart88
06/09/2009, 9:01 PM
the reason I meant that he wouldnt play center midfield is because hes a winger
Wide midfielder - huge difference. Duff is a winger.

Stuttgart88
06/09/2009, 9:12 PM

Westwood

Doyle-Folan

What do we learn?

It gives Westwood another run - good keeper and handy to rack up some game time
It gives Nolan a valauble run out & chance to impress
It gives O'Shea and SSL time together - important if Dunne is injured or suspended
It gives Doyle & Folan a look together and a chance to gel
It gives the likely starting midfield 4 against Italy a dress rehearsal and a chance to put Saturday's nervous showing behind them.

Not to mention the likely subs we'll see: Lawrence & Gibson, maybe Best, Keogh or Long, O'Dea may get a run out.

The XI you pick allows the chance to plan for the absence of our big 4 players without totally changing the team. It's actually not a bad XI in my view. I disagree with both you and eirebhoy - it makes Tuesday more interesting in my view.

I'm not sure I said any of this better than Lionel did above.

tricky_colour
06/09/2009, 9:16 PM
Its actually scary how crap our squad is when you take even a few lads out like that.

It doesn't get much better when you put em back in :p

jbyrne
06/09/2009, 9:20 PM
It doesn't get much better when you put em back in :p

yes, a 40 goal striker with 5 in this campaign alone and one of europes best keepers... real dross :rolleyes:

tricky_colour
06/09/2009, 9:40 PM
yes, a 40 goal striker with 5 in this campaign alone and one of europes best keepers... real dross :rolleyes:

Only joking!!

It will be interesting to see how we get on with a few players taken out,
remember we could be without some of those player with injuries or whatever
so it will be a good chance to see what we can do with a few key players left out and a chance for those coming in to show what they can do and get more accustomed to playing this level.

EastTerracer
06/09/2009, 10:40 PM
Trapattoni has allowed Robbie Keane, Kevin Kilbane, Shay Given and Stephen Hunt to return to their clubs

It's probably a sensible decision by Trapp but I did have this image of Shay and Killer winning their 100th caps against Italy and the crowd being whipped into a frenzy beforehand with a presentation or something. Looks likely the 100th caps will be against Montenegro now.

Another idea would be for the FAI to bring the Irish teams who played Italy in 1990 and 1994 onto the pitch before the game in October to get the crowd going.

Eirambler
06/09/2009, 11:03 PM
It's probably a sensible decision by Trapp but I did have this image of Shay and Killer winning their 100th caps against Italy and the crowd being whipped into a frenzy beforehand with a presentation or something. Looks likely the 100th caps will be against Montenegro now.

Another idea would be for the FAI to bring the Irish teams who played Italy in 1990 and 1994 onto the pitch before the game in October to get the crowd going.

Ya, I had visions of Given and Kilbane beating Staunton's caps record in the second leg of a playoff game and being inspired to top class performances as we qualified for the World Cup.

Not going to happen now, Staunton's record will survive into the new year.

Wexford Delboy
07/09/2009, 12:53 AM
I know he won't! He'll stick with Andrews and Whelan but we know what they can do. I think he needs to try out other options in the centre of midfield.

Westwood

Doyle-Folan

Lawrence got a run out against Nigeria but deserves another chance and I think Best could do with another run out after impressing against the Nigerians.

seriously do people think mcshane will start ahead of kelly ,and mcshane is half fit,if so we are f**cked..gibson will get a run too
my prediction of traps team would be
westwood
kelly oshea ledge nolan
mcgaedy gibson miller(doubtfull) lawrence
best doyle
it is a bit different i know but with him sending so many first team players home i wouldnt be surprised

SkStu
07/09/2009, 6:05 AM
i see this as a majorly positive move from Trappatoni and, as mentioned earlier, its interesting to see how poor we are when we lose some of our top players.

i would have liked to see a few of the other lads at the fringes called up for at least a look at in training though (McCann, McCarthy, Fahey).

It will make the game really interesting though to see how we can perform. :ball:

i think ive plagiarised everyone i needed to to state my opinion.

endabob1
07/09/2009, 6:37 AM
This was surely his last chance to recall Andy Reid & especially Big Clint, a chance missed methinks.

ifk101
07/09/2009, 7:30 AM
Weak looking squad for this game but offers the opportunity to test players on the fringes.

We are in desperate need for cover at left-full so O'Dea should be given the opportunity to show what he can do.

Nolan is a season or two away from international standard but I'd be inclined to give him a run at centre half with JOSH for this game to see if he could be an option in that position with Kelly getting some badly needed game time by coming in at right-full.

In midfield no harm in trying what the Andrews-Gibson combination can offer with McGeady and Duff on the wings.

Up front I'd like Long or Keogh to get a run with Doyle.

Murphy to play in goals.

drummerboy
07/09/2009, 8:07 AM
Here is the line up I'd like to see

Westwood
Kelly, O’Shea, SSL, Nolan
McGeady, Gibson, Whelan, Duff
Doyle, Keogh

Really hope he gives Keogh a go up front instead of playing him on the wing.
I would bring on Andrews, Folan and Lawrence at ht for McGeady Whelan and Doyle.

Scram
07/09/2009, 8:08 AM

Westwood
Doyle, Keogh

I would bring on Andrews, Folan and Lawrence at ht for McGeady Whelan and Doyle.

Meaningless joke of a game. What's the point

shakermaker1982
07/09/2009, 8:43 AM
What do we learn?

It gives Westwood another run - good keeper and handy to rack up some game time
It gives Nolan a valauble run out & chance to impress
It gives O'Shea and SSL time together - important if Dunne is injured or suspended
It gives Doyle & Folan a look together and a chance to gel
It gives the likely starting midfield 4 against Italy a dress rehearsal and a chance to put Saturday's nervous showing behind them.

Not to mention the likely subs we'll see: Lawrence & Gibson, maybe Best, Keogh or Long, O'Dea may get a run out.

The XI you pick allows the chance to plan for the absence of our big 4 players without totally changing the team. It's actually not a bad XI in my view. I disagree with both you and eirebhoy - it makes Tuesday more interesting in my view.

I'm not sure I said any of this better than Lionel did above.

My biggest problem with the team is the centre of midfield. The team I originally picked and the one I believe the Trap will pick doesn't really differ other than the central midfield pairing. If Andrews and Whelan play together again and disappear/ are overrun by the South Africans what little confidence they have will be shot to pieces for the Italian game. I'd keep O'Shea at RB because that is where he'll play against Italy. Nolan and Westwood both need run outs and I'm pleased with that. On the flip slide maybe Whelan and Andrews need more game time together to gel but deep down I know they are not the solution.

Lawrence can play in the centre of midfield Razor. I've seen him do it for Stoke on a couple of occasions and a bit of experimentation never did anybody any harm. He kept drifting inside when he was put out wide against Nigeria and is comfortable on the ball.

Folan/Best with Doyle isn't a major call I just thought it would be interesting to see how Best gets on. He seems a little bit more pacier than Folan but also has that physical presence.

Colbert Report
07/09/2009, 8:43 AM

No kidding. I just read on the Independent's website that the FAI are hoping to get 10,000 supporters into the stadium. Nobody cares about this game. Pointless. We'd be better off having a closed door match agains the Notts Forest reserves.

jbyrne
07/09/2009, 8:57 AM
No kidding. I just read on the Independent's website that the FAI are hoping to get 10,000 supporters into the stadium. Nobody cares about this game. Pointless. We'd be better off having a closed door match agains the Notts Forest reserves.

yesterdays papers said only 4,000 tickets sold. the first match was a PR disaster. the tickets were too expensive and I thought the whole occasion was flat. the PA is useless at whipping up a bit of excitement. he just rolls out the same old tired playlist of jokter goes to stuttgart, the boys are back in town and the one road. like it or not people going to these things want it to be a bit of an event and the match day set up by the fai continues to be useless.

disagree that the match itself is pointless though. if we find even one player that puts his name forward for future selection then its worthwhile.

tetsujin1979
07/09/2009, 8:58 AM
I'll remember this comment the next time someone complains Trapattoni never uses friendlies to experiment

bholg
07/09/2009, 9:21 AM
Is the game on the box?

Predator
07/09/2009, 9:24 AM
Is the game on the box?
Think it's on Sky.

tetsujin1979
07/09/2009, 9:30 AM
on Sky Sports 2: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12942,00.html
Highlights on RTE 2 and rte.ie at 10:25: http://www.rte.ie/sport/webcastschedule.html

old git
07/09/2009, 4:50 PM
[QUOTE=jbyrne;1226926]yesterdays papers said only 4,000 tickets sold. the first match was a PR disaster. the tickets were too expensive and I thought the whole occasion was flat. the PA is useless at whipping up a bit of excitement. he just rolls out the same old tired playlist of jokter goes to stuttgart, the boys are back in town and the one road. like it or not people going to these things want it to be a bit of an event and the match day set up by the fai continues to be useless.

jesus only 4000 tickets sold ... atmosphere was bad enough at australia match it will be terrible tomorrow night.. tickets still to dear for this match only bonus it will give a few fringe players a chance to impress hopefully :ball:

Scram
07/09/2009, 5:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scram

I'll remember this comment the next time someone complains Trapattoni never uses friendlies to experiment

You use fireindlies to find your best team. Not possible if half them are not present. What use is it seeing how players play together in combinations you have no hope of seeing in reality? I'm amazed that the ohter players were allowed return to their clubs, woudl not happen if it was an English friendly.

Colbert Report
07/09/2009, 5:41 PM
If it was an English friendly you'd have 80,000 people playing fifty pound a ticket to watch them play. The FAI have only sold 4000 tickets to this match. Big difference.

Razors left peg
07/09/2009, 5:50 PM

Westwood
Doyle, Keogh

Id go along with that, still keeps the general shape of the team with lads that are next in line for their positions along with some first choice lads

EastTerracer
07/09/2009, 6:07 PM
Here's the team .....

REPUBLIC OF IRELAND (v South Africa):
K Westwood
S Kelly
E Nolan
P McShane
S St Ledger
D Gibson
K Andrews
L Lawrence
A Keogh
C Folan
K Doyle (capt).
Subs to be confirmed.

Good to see Kevin Doyle being given the captaincy....

eirebhoy
07/09/2009, 6:22 PM
One positive thing is that there's only 2 first team players in that team yet 8 of them play in the Premiership.

McGeady is injured apparently. I hope it's not serious.

Stuttgart88
07/09/2009, 6:24 PM
Keogh out wide again, or is a 4-3-3?

Razors left peg
07/09/2009, 6:27 PM
ah for fcuk sake... Keogh cannot play as a winger. Im not his biggest fan but its doing a total disservice to him being played out of positon

Razors left peg
07/09/2009, 6:28 PM

he wont change the 4-4-2 I think

eirebhoy
07/09/2009, 6:29 PM
I'd say McGeady was certain to start if he wasn't injured so I don't think he'd change the formation this late.

Stuttgart88
07/09/2009, 6:31 PM
It could be a 4-3-3 as Andrews, Gibson and Lawrence would suit that. Keogh could drop off the front two.

If 4-4-2 it's just wrong. Only one natural wide player, and right footed so somebody would have to be playing on the wrong side, and neither would be as versatile in that regard as Duff or McGeady, or even Hunt.

geysir
07/09/2009, 8:21 PM
Trap would have to be a very good mood to hand out a free role.

old git
07/09/2009, 9:17 PM
If it was an English friendly you'd have 80,000 people playing fifty pound a ticket to watch them play. The FAI have only sold 4000 tickets to this match. Big difference.

so wonder will the fai deceide to hand out free tickets tomorrow ... usually you would normally release a load of free schoolboy tickets to try and increase attendance ... :confused::confused: then again when you let most of your first choice 11 return to clubs in england seems to show a total lack of respect to the paying fans .. christ i have a feeling it is going to be a brutal game with no atmosphere at all..:D

Rovers1
07/09/2009, 9:37 PM
I take it you can buy tickets at the gate?

Jicked
07/09/2009, 10:00 PM
so wonder will the fai deceide to hand out free tickets tomorrow ... usually you would normally release a load of free schoolboy tickets to try and increase attendance ... :confused::confused: then again when you let most of your first choice 11 return to clubs in england seems to show a total lack of respect to the paying fans .. christ i have a feeling it is going to be a brutal game with no atmosphere at all..:D

The great Munster sporting public eh! Counting the days until a return to Lawnsdowne. Playing in the RDS or Tallaght Stadium with the temp stands up ala the Real Madrid game would even have been preferable to a crowd of 9,000 or so.

tetsujin1979
07/09/2009, 10:36 PM
O'Shea and McGeady have been excused from the game because of injury fears.
this game could set a new record for first starts.

abbeyvale
07/09/2009, 11:01 PM
The great Munster sporting public eh! Counting the days until a return to Lawnsdowne. Playing in the RDS or Tallaght Stadium with the temp stands up ala the Real Madrid game would even have been preferable to a crowd of 9,000 or so.

dont think the location has anything to do with the poor sales of tickets........if the game was on in dublin they would still struggle to sell tickets, especially with the poor quality of players on show

eirebhoy
07/09/2009, 11:05 PM
O'Shea and McGeady have been excused from the game because of injury fears.
this game could set a new record for first starts.
Not sure if that's just a typo but the team was announced earlier Tets. :)

http://foot.ie/forums/showpost.php?p=1227404&postcount=36

osarusan
07/09/2009, 11:16 PM
dont think the location has anything to do with the poor sales of tickets........if the game was on in dublin they would still struggle to sell tickets, especially with the poor quality of players on show
With a population about a dozen times bigger, even the same ratio of atendees per population would fill a 26,000 seater stadium.

I live in Limerick, and apart from a few flags on O'Connell street and on the roads around Thomond Park, I've seen nothing anywhere about the game. The FAI seems to have seriously over-estimated the interest Limerick people will have in attending an "event", even when that event is meaningless.

I'm going, but only because I got a free ticket from Limerick FC.