PDA

View Full Version : Non-Trap Ireland?

olegunnar
06/09/2009, 4:06 PM
It struck me when I was looking at the different squads in UK etc that there are a lot of high ability Irish players that are NOT being selected by Trap, or in exile of their own choice.

This is not an attack on Trap at all, we are on course for Play-Offs, but interesting to see if the way our team is currently set out, would it beat the squad that isn't being picked??

GK -
Dean Kiely, Paddy Kenny, Brian Murphy

Def -
Andy O'Brien, Steven Carr, Paddy McCarthy, Darren O'Dea

Mid -
Stephen Ireland, Steven Reid, Andy Reid, Joey O'Brien, Rory Delap, James McCarthy, Keith Fahy, Lee Carsley

F -
Clinton Morrison, Alan Lee, Anthony Stokes

Hmm?? Maybe we're strong across midfield, but thats about it by the second string?
Who am I missing, maybe it could strengthen the 2nd string...

Razors left peg
06/09/2009, 4:16 PM
It struck me when I was looking at the different squads in UK etc that there are a lot of high ability Irish players that are NOT being selected by Trap, or in exile of their own.

This is not an attack on Trap at all, we are on course for Play-Offs, but interesting to see if the way our team is currently set out, would it beat the squad that isn't being picked??

GK -

Def -

Mid -
Stephen Ireland, Steven Reid, Andy Reid, Joey O'Brien, Rory Delap, James McCarthy, Keith Fahy, Lee Carsley

F -

Hmm?? Maybe we're strong across midfield, but thats about it by me second string?
Who am I missing, maybe it could strengthen the 2nd string...

none of the 3 keepers better than what we have.

in defense McCarthy not good enough, O Dea not playin regularly enough.Carr retired about 4 times already and O brien has no interest in playin for us

in midfield Carsley is past it,Fahey a possiblity, Steven Reid and Joey O brien injury problems,Delap is not better than what we have, Ireland is tool and Andy Reid should be in and McCarthy is a kid who has done nothing to justify getting selected just yet

of the 3 strikers ya named only Morrison worth a shout but would not be in first 11. Lee is brutal and Stokes hasnt merited a place at all

Trap can only name certain amount of players in squad, not everyone can be in it

lankyboy26
06/09/2009, 4:34 PM
none of the 3 keepers better than what we have.

in defense McCarthy not good enough, O Dea not playin regularly enough.Carr retired about 4 times already and O brien has no interest in playin for us

in midfield Carsley is past it,Fahey a possiblity, Steven Reid and Joey O brien injury problems,Delap is not better than what we have, Ireland is tool and Andy Reid should be in and McCarthy is a kid who has done nothing to justify getting selected just yet

of the 3 strikers ya named only Morrison worth a shout but would not be in first 11. Lee is brutal and Stokes hasnt merited a place at all

Trap can only name certain amount of players in squad, not everyone can be in it
well said. i definitely think morrison should be in the squad, he has an eye for goal. folan ain't gonna score. andy reid should be starting in midfield. fahey should get a chance also. andrews not good enough

SuperDave
06/09/2009, 5:22 PM
well said. i definitely think morrison should be in the squad, he has an eye for goal. folan ain't gonna score. andy reid should be starting in midfield. fahey should get a chance also. andrews not good enough

yet but for him, we probably wouldn't have got a point in italy

there is a reason trap is manager and we aren't

IN TRAP WE TRUST!!

elroy
06/09/2009, 5:53 PM
McCann from Burnley as well

Qwerty
06/09/2009, 6:15 PM

Folan's primary job is to be disruptive, unsettle the defense and create chances by forcing errors. I wouln't mind Morrison in ahead of Best or Long but Folan serves a purpose.

Andy Reid wasn't fit enough or in form eough to play in midfield and Trapp won't play him there unless he plays 3 which is unlikely. We need Steven Reid in the middle not Andy. I think the best role for Andy ( if fit and in form ) would be as an impact player like Trapp uses McGeady or Hunt.

Andrews is good enough to do the job that Trapp wants, better than Gibson for now but obviously not as good as Steven Reid.

Fahey is one to watch but he needs a few good performances in friendlies frst.

Murfinator
06/09/2009, 6:41 PM
In fairness all of those are either getting on in age, retired by their own admission, debatably not good enough or youngsters who it'd be too soon to throw in.
The exceptions are Steven Reid who has been injured, not in exile and Andy Reid who I would say is the only one out of the rest that should without question be a part of the squad.

What this thread highlights is that Trap has stuck with the same group of players throughout which is a good thing, in contrast Stan was calling up all of the fringe players and more often than not throwing them right into the first team which doesn't make for a good team spirit or understanding of his gameplan.

4tothefloor
06/09/2009, 9:54 PM
GK -

Def -

Mid -

F -

Steven Reid, Andy Reid, Carsley and Morrison are the only ones worth talking about there. Steven Reid isn't involved only because he's injured. Andy Reid should be in. Carsley and Morrison are past it but could probably hold their own if called up. Other than that James McCarthy and Darren O'Dea are too green at the moment. Maybe McCann at Burnley. The rest are $hite.

drummerboy
07/09/2009, 8:16 AM
Daryl Murphy (Sunderland)? Mark Wilson (portsmount)

Thommo
07/09/2009, 12:42 PM
Out of your list the only person with a shout of getting into the team is Stephen Reid probably would have been in the last squad only for his injury.
I have resigned myself to the fact that we will see no creative influence in the middle of the park, the system rules!

olegunnar
07/09/2009, 2:44 PM
Maybe it comes over different than i'd hoped, but I meant this to be more about if there was a one-off game between the 2 groups of players, would the B selection have any chance??

Tipp Townie
07/09/2009, 3:13 PM
yet but for him, we probably wouldn't have got a point in italy

Indeed. I don't want to go too off-topic banging on about him, but Folan has done everything that has been asked of him so far. I was initially suprised that he got his chance ahead of some other players (primarily Morrison), but now that he's been given it i think he's been very good.

third policeman
07/09/2009, 3:16 PM
Steven Reid, Andy Reid, Carsley and Morrison are the only ones worth talking about there. Steven Reid isn't involved only because he's injured. Andy Reid should be in. Carsley and Morrison are past it but could probably hold their own if called up. Other than that James McCarthy and Darren O'Dea are too green at the moment. Maybe McCann at Burnley. The rest are $hite.

I have been consistently impressed by Jon Walters. He has the physical presence of Folan with the added value that he can play football,score goals and is likely to spend time on the pitch this season. Venegoor's arrival at Hull has got to be the end for Folan's tenure in the Hull first team. Ward at Wolves is another addition if he holds down the left back position at Wolves.

tetsujin1979
07/09/2009, 5:05 PM
Walters can play on the right too
He's a better right winger than Keogh anyway, but wouldn't be as good a striker as Andy.

danonion
07/09/2009, 5:55 PM
--------------Kiely
Carr----O'Dea---Wilson--Harte

Fahey---Mike Doyle---Carsley---Yeates
-----------Andy Reid
---------Morrison-------
Bench: B. Murphy, A. Lee, P. Cregg, D. Van Zantan, J. McCarthy, P. McCarthy, J. Tabb, J. O'Shea, C. Sheridan, A Stokes, M. Rowlands, S. Scannell.

Managed correctly my team would really hold its own against Trap's ireland.

I feel really bad for Ian Harte. I think he suffers more from a bad agent than a bad player. I saw him playing for Carilse and he could easily be playing in the Championship. He was holding his own at Centre-half and his skill with the ball is really top class.

Razors left peg
07/09/2009, 6:25 PM
--------------Kiely
Carr----O'Dea---Wilson--Harte

Fahey---Mike Doyle---Carsley---Yeates
-----------Andy Reid
---------Morrison-------
Bench: B. Murphy, A. Lee, P. Cregg, D. Van Zantan, J. McCarthy, P. McCarthy, J. Tabb, J. O'Shea, C. Sheridan, A Stokes, M. Rowlands, S. Scannell.

Managed correctly my team would really hold its own against Trap's ireland.

I feel really bad for Ian Harte. I think he suffers more from a bad agent than a bad player. I saw him playing for Carilse and he could easily be playing in the Championship. He was holding his own at Centre-half and his skill with the ball is really top class.

I think I would still quiet happily put my house on Traps Ireland as ya call it! Still it does show we have some depth, but as I said there are only so many players that can be called into any given squad

Stuttgart88
07/09/2009, 6:53 PM
I have been consistently impressed by Jon Walters.

Me too, and as Tets says he's able to play on the RHS too. In fact I'd argue that he's a better finisher than Keogh, and one of the best attacking headers of a ball we have, but probably is not as lively and skilful as Keogh.